Chosen, Chapter 43: Pursuing my True Self
4k 12 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aidan
The Realms
Sixthday, 4th week of the 7th month, Godless Age 597
Early Morning
Starchaser Village, Mistvale Highlands

Aidan shared a hearty breakfast with Brighid, then kissed her thoroughly, leaving her flushed and panting as he set out towards the training field. No one accosted him on the way, and he fancied that he felt less hostility in the stares and whispers that followed him. He hoped that was an indication that the village was beginning to accept, or at least tolerate him, but he wasn't willing to bet on it.

Fionn was already overseeing a group of younger adult centaurs when Aidan found him. Aidan got the old warhorse's attention and waited for him to make his way over. Once they were close enough to speak, he said, "Good morning, Fionn. Brighid suggested that I ask you for help in my martial training since she can't spare the time right now."

"Indeed?" Fionn arched an eyebrow. "It is good to know the apprentice still has some respect for her teacher. I may be able to help, although this morning, I have my hands full with this bunch. What, precisely, are you looking for in this training?"

"I'm probably going to regret saying this," Aidan admitted with a grin, "but I feel like I need to be run ragged. In addition to Ceallach Macht coming up in a few days, Anwn asked me to clear out a lair of mites that popped up nearby. I've been in a few small-scale fights, but all that's shown me is that I need to be a lot better. Specifically, I want to train my defensive Skills as much as possible, as well as my offensive magic. I doubt I'll rely on my sword too much, but it's always better to have more options, so if possible, some training there would be helpful as well."

"Hmm," the giant centaur stroked his salt-and-pepper beard. "Your mundane Skills are simple enough to train if I can find you the right partner. Your spells might be a problem, though. Can you show me what you can do without burning everyone here to a cinder?"

Aidan looked around the area. "Sure. Can we relocate closer to that boulder over there? Flame Jet has a relatively short range."

Aidan demonstrated his spells; Burning Barrage caused a commotion with the trainees as seven motes detonated with near-simultaneous whump-cracks against the rocky outcropping. Fionn shook his head slowly. "You cannot use either of those against people; the potential for serious injury is far too high. Hmm. I think I have an idea, however. You did say you wanted to be run ragged, yes?" His eyes gleamed with amusement. He clapped his hands and called out to his students, "Gather around! Aidan, here, has volunteered to help in a new exercise."

 


 

Aidan
Evening

Aidan opened the door to Brighid's home and staggered through, barely able to muster the energy to close it behind him. He stumbled to the bed and flopped over backward onto it, doing his best to ignore the aches and pains that had accumulated over the last 14 hours. Aidan closed his eyes and focused on sinking into the soft cushion. The next thing he knew, Brighid was shaking him awake.

"You are soaking in sweat. Your training was a success, then?" She smiled down at him. Aidan noted that she removed her shirt before waking him; he reached up with both hands and covered her bared breasts. She bit her lip and hummed softly in the back of her throat in response to his touch.

"Fionn is a monster. He had his entire novice class chasing me around the field. It was like what you put me through, but ten times worse," he complained.

"But did your Skills increase?" Brighid settled down between his wide-spread legs. Her hands began loosening the laces of his shirt and pants.

Aidan directed his attention to the pulsing notifications he had been ignoring.

Congratulations! You have reached levels 11 through 15 in Evasion!
Congratulations! You have reached levels 2 through 6 in Parrying!
You are now a Novice of Parrying; attacks that you partially deflect deal slightly less damage.
Congratulations! You have reached levels 6 through 11 in Light Armor!
You are now an Initiate of Light Armor; light armor that you wear provides more protection.
Congratulations! You have reached levels 6 and 7 in Swords!
Congratulations! You have reached levels 13 through 15 in Fire Magic!
Congratulations! You have reached levels 7 and 8 in Vivimancy!

"Does 22 total Skill levels count as successful?" He lifted his hips to let Brighid tug his pants off.

"That counts as positively heroic," she hummed, tossing his clothes into a pile near her shirt.

"I'm too tired and beat up to do much more than I already am," Aidan admitted, squeezing his hands for emphasis.

"You can conquer me some other time. Tonight, let me worship my hero." Brighid tucked her hair behind her ears and bent down. Aidan closed his eyes and groaned as his lover showed him her appreciation for a day's hard work.

 


 

Aidan
Seventhday, 4th week of the 7th month, Godless Age 597
Early Morning

Aidan awoke the next morning to find Brighid watching him, confusion in her eyes. He lifted his head to press a kiss to her lips, which she returned without hesitation, then settled back and asked, "What's wrong, flame of my heart?"

Brighid ducked her head and traced her fingers across Aidan's torso aimlessly. "Last night... I reached level 25 in Sex. I have been thinking about this since you told me that you would find a way for us to have children. Would you like me to take the Quest to become a Courtesan? I would become better at sex, and if I pursued the Broodmare Specialization, it would be easier for us to have children, and our children would have unique benefits."

"It doesn't seem like that should be my choice, love. Didn't you tell me that a Profession becomes part of who you are? And, not to put too fine a point on it, it's hard to imagine that you could become too much better at it. Every night I spend with you is wonderful beyond my wildest dreams. If you somehow think you are disappointing me, banish the thought. I'll make that an order if I have to."

"So, you do not want me to?" Brighid asked, her voice small and soft, almost a whisper.

Aidan tangled his fingers in her vermillion hair and dragged her lips to his. He kissed her as thoroughly and passionately as possible, trying his best to convey his feelings for her. When their lips parted at last, he told her, "I want you to make the choice that will make you happy. If you wish to pursue the path of a Courtesan, I will support you fully. If not, then the same. But is there a reason that you have to make a choice now? When do you expect to go into heat next? We don't have to worry about children until then, at the absolute earliest." He smiled up at her. "I don't see any reason to try to do two impossible things at once. We can get you pregnant at the usual time, at least."

Brighid giggled and laid her head on his chest. "Five months, give or take a few weeks, and you had best be ready for it, mister. If Fionn letting the trainees run you around the field for a few hours is enough to wear you out, maybe you should invest in some Endurance the next few levels." She kissed his sternum. "You are right, of course. I do not have to decide today, and I should put more thought into what I want out of it. I have to admit that the thought of being your Broodmare stokes my flame, but it would come at the expense of my Smithing and Paladin Talents."

Aidan stroked his fingers through her hair. "There's another thought, love. I don't have any Professions yet, and it seems increasingly likely that if I have a future in the village, it'll be using my magic Skills. They aren't eligible for Professions. I'm not too far from Apprentice rank in Sex as it is; I could take it as my Profession. That way, we still get the same benefit to our children, but without you making any sacrifices."

"Mmm," Brighid hummed her agreement. "And so would your children with your other women. I like that idea. This is why we work so well together; you do such an excellent job at tempering my impulsiveness and turning it into something stronger."

"Again with the other women thing," Aidan forced out a laugh. "I don't mind if you find a woman on the side, love, but you're all I need."

"But not all you want," she replied, still nuzzling his chest. "I saw you sneaking glances at Anwn's boobs the other night, and I know what Siwan looks like when she's thinking about sex." She lifted her head and caught his eyes with hers. Her hands slid up and cupped his cheeks as she gazed at him. "It is alright, love. I know that you love me, that you will always love me. I am not afraid of losing you to someone else. If you see a woman who interests you, you have my permission to pursue her. And," her smile turned naughty, "if you bring her back here, we can both enjoy her." She bent down and captured his lips. Once she emerged for breath, she continued, "The Brighaid are not in favor of restricting either sex or love to just one person. Love is the brightest passion, and sex is not far behind. They should be shared freely among all those who are willing."

Aidan cocked his head. "You know, that's something I've meant to ask you. I promise I'm not trying to deflect the conversation, but I should learn more about my Patron. Who are the Brighaid, and what do they stand for? What are their tenets? What do they exalt, and what do they forbid?"

Brighid giggled and kissed him again. "I will let you get away with it this time, both because you are right that you need to know more of the Brighaid, and because we will inevitably end up back here anyway." She settled back down on his chest and wrapped her arms around him again. "The Brighaid is a tripartite deity, consisting of the goddesses Birgitte and Brigantia and the God Braihan. Birgitte is the Goddess of fire as a metaphor for creation, fertility in all its aspects, and crafting, especially crafts that involve fire. Brigantia is the Goddess of fire as a tool, destruction, purification, renewal, and victory. She also presides over funerals and rituals of mourning. Last but not least, Braihan is the God of fire as a metaphor for creativity, joy, desire, poetry, and exploration.

"Their tenets are not complicated. Be passionate, love even your enemies, pursue your goals with your whole heart. Have lots of sex and make lots of babies."

"I've heard that one before," Aidan quipped. Brighid smacked him lightly on the shoulder for interrupting.

"Children are sacred, for, in their innocence, they share their passions openly and eagerly with everyone they meet. All temples and shrines devoted to the Brighaid must maintain an open flame at all times, and all their followers should pursue an art or a craft as their Profession. Sex explicitly counts as an art, for the record. Cooks, potters, and smiths are most favored; bankers, merchants, and soldiers are disfavored. Don't eat raw meat and cook vegetables when reasonable. Do not harm those who intend you no harm." She tilted her head. "Those are the highlights. I would be happy to teach you more later, but I think that should give you a solid foundation."

Congratulations! You have reached level 1 in Doctrine of the Brighaid.
Religious doctrine describes the rules and traditions involved in the worship of the various Powers of the Realms. The Brighaid is a tripartite deity whose worship is centered in the regions around the Mistvale Highlands.
You are now Unskilled in Doctrine of the Brighaid.

"I just got the Skill for it, so I'd say so."

"You are such a cheater. It took me a week of study to get the first level in that, and I am Their Paladin!"

"I guess Chosen trumps Paladin." Brighid pouted at him. Aidan smiled and ruffled her hair. "How about I make it up to you? You did say that Sex is an acceptable Professional Skill to Them, and I am pretty close to level 25 in it. Don't you think it's your duty as a Paladin to help me meet my obligation? Besides, I owe you from last night."

Brighid's voice grew sultry. "Of course, my Lord Chosen. Make use of me however you will to further your training. Let there be no talk of debts between us; I am yours."

 


 

Aidan
Mid-morning

Congratulations! You have reached level 22 in Sex.

"You are late," Fionn told Aidan as he jogged into the training field.

"Sorry," Aidan apologized. "Brighid was teaching me about the Brighaid, and we lost track of time."

"Hmph." Fionn didn't look convinced. Aidan didn't blame him; it wasn't much of a fig leaf. "Well, I will just have to work you all the harder to make up for the lost time, then. It will be the same drill as yesterday, but today I am putting you in charge of your defenders. You have ten minutes to talk things over with them before we start."

Aidan briefly regretted his morning diversion, but he didn't have long to dwell on it before the day's training began.

 

Special thanks to Cenomy and Orange for their exceptional support on Patreon!

91