Chosen, Chapter 61: Answers
3.9k 10 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aidan
The Realms
Fifthday, 2nd week of the 8th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Early Evening
Starchaser Village, Mistvale Highlands

Once Brighid managed to get her laughter under control, she said, "You handled her so well! She was off-balance from the start. That was wonderful."

Aidan shook his head. "I'm not sure how I did it. I've never been that confident or quick under pressure. Two weeks ago, I would have folded and played right into her hands." The thought troubled him.

"Two weeks ago, you were a quarter the level you are now. For most of us, the changes from higher Attributes are more gradual, so it is harder to see the differences."

Aidan squinted at his love. "'For most of us,' but not for you?"

Brighid blushed and looked away for a moment. "I told you how one of my Traits lowers my Willpower every level? Well, when I was younger, I did not care about it. I assumed that if it was part of the Three Flames' gift, that was what They wanted. Mother disapproved, but she could not force me to change my mind. It took me years and more than a few mistakes to realize that it was a test and a challenge, not a mandate. I spent several levels bringing it back up to 10 and have maintained it there since."

"Until a week ago, that is." Aidan hadn't missed that Brighid raised her Willpower with her most recent level. "A reaction to your guilt?" She nodded, eyes downcast. "A few extra points wouldn't have changed anything against the Taig, love," he told her.

"I know. But they would not have hurt, either." She lifted her gaze again and bit her lower lip. "Back to the matter at hand. Mother did not know what hit her. Are you going to press your advantage and follow through on what you told her?"

Aidan grimaced. He trusted Ailis about as far as he could throw her, which was not at all. "I don't know. I got caught up in the moment. I can't help but think that even though I defeated her plan A, I fell right into her plan B." He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. I need a hair cut. "What was it that Roark asked you? 'When was the last time you outwitted your mother, little spark?' Is this the first, or did I fall victim to my own cleverness?"

Brighid raised her head and brushed her lips across Aidan's. "Trust me on this: you cannot think that way. If you start chasing shadows, you give her more to use against you. Instead, decide what to do for your reasons, and if that coincides with Mother's goals, all the better. She has... well, not no power over you, but as long as you hold to the laws, she has very little influence over you that you do not give her."

Aidan tangled his fingers in Brighid's hair and pulled her close for a longer kiss. When their lips parted for breath, he said, "You are right as always, love."

"And do not forget it!" She admonished with a grin and a toss of her hair. "Besides, you and your Patron removed any option she had of quietly disposing of you. You are too visible and too influential. Cai and Llwyd are the first, but not the last, I am sure of it. Mother is too politically-minded to fight against you now. She might still try to use you, but she will be more polite about it."

"Hah. Polite. Yes, I suppose that's one word for what just happened." Aidan gave Brighid a wry smile. "And don't think I missed that it was you who suggested that payments start at a kiss and escalate from there, love. I still do not understand how you can throw me at another woman, your mother no less, and not feel jealous. You really don't mind if I have other lovers?"

"I really do not." She kissed him again, and several minutes passed before she continued, "I love you, Aidan, and I know you love me. I know that our love will never fade or burn out. Knowing that, why should I worry about you taking pleasure from someone else? Why should I even worry about you falling in love with another woman? The Brighiaid say, 'Love has no boundaries; it is within us all and only grows when shared.' Also, you just reassured me that you will always come back, no matter what." She gave him a brilliant smile, setting butterflies to fluttering in Aidan's belly. "Besides, I intend to take advantage of all that Charisma you have. Seduce whoever you want, but do not be surprised when I join in."

"How did I get so lucky?" Aidan shook his head. "I guess I can't argue with that logic. But you are more than the woman I love; you are my Soulmate. If you don't want me to sleep with someone else, tell me. That's an order, okay?" He flicked the thin steel tag attached to Brighid's collar for emphasis. "Still. Your mother?"

Brighid smirked at him. "Who do you think taught me how to pleasure myself and others?" At Aidan's shocked look, she laughed. "You and your strange morals. She did me no harm, and no children could come of it, so what does it matter?" She shrugged. "There has been nothing between us since, and I do not know that I would participate if you did take her to bed, but do not let that stop you. As a matter of fact," Brighid's emerald eyes glittered, and she licked her lips. "It is too late to do anything else constructive today, but I am not tired enough to go back to sleep. Mother left you high and dry." Feminine fingers trailed down Aidan's chest. "Why not show me what you intend to do to correct that in future negotiations?"

Riama, who had stayed quiet on her corner of the bed while Ailis was present, stretched and made her way to the table. She sent him a pulse of <exasperation>, but Aidan was too occupied to respond.

 


 

Aidan
???

Aidan opened his eyes. It felt like a lifetime since he had last seen this room, but he recognized it instantly. He sat up on the double-king-sized bed and glanced around the opulently-appointed room. Dozens of gem-encrusted golden braziers encircled the bed, their flames raising the space's temperature to sweat-inducing levels. Numerous paintings and sculptures, made in a dizzying variety of styles, lined the walls. Even the room's ceiling was a work of art bedecked with intricate layers of metal filigree. This time, though, Aidan's Patron was not on the bed with him; They sat on a throne that was as indeterminate in its detail as They were.

"Greetings, Champion," Their indefinable voice washed over him. "Be welcome once more to my/our home. Thy deeds have given me/us an advantage, and so I/we wished to reward thee in a more refined manner. Before, the breadth of thy experiences was too slight, so I/we gave thee a," Their lips quirked in teasing smile, "direct sign of my/our favor. Now, I/we grant thee a different gift. You have questions. Ask, Champion, and I/we shall answer as best I/we can."

Aidan blinked. He hadn't been sure what to expect from this meeting, but this wasn't it. He wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth, though. "How do I return to Earth?" That was far and away the most pressing question he had for his Patron.

They sighed. "I/We knew that was coming, but it is no more pleasant for it. Ne'ertheless, answers you were promised. There is no single method that I/we can tell you to facilitate thy return to thy homeworld. It is possible, but the power expended to draw thee and the other Chosen here would be beyond thy comprehension. I/We have not the time to educate thee on all the rules of reality that were violated in the process. Suffice to say that it will not be easy; if thou truly wish to return, then make it one of thy life's missions. I/We can tell you that one of the laws which were suspended in thy travels across the Between was time; if ever you do return, fear not that it will be to a distant future."

That was definitely not the answer he wanted to hear, but there was a glimmer of hope in it. If time was 'suspended' for him, he didn't have to worry about his Earth-body dying or disappearing. That was a huge relief. "How many lives do I have remaining?"

They shook Their head. "That knowledge is Forbidden, alas. I/We can give you no more answer than I/we already have in that regard."

That confirmed to Aidan that the extra life was added to the Special Offers section as a clue. He would thank Them for it later; he didn't know how much time he had here and wanted to make it count. "Are You the Brighaid?"

"Yes, in a sense." Painted lips curled up in a smile, and green-blue-gold-black-red-silver eyes twinkled merrily. "If it is thy wish to have a name to call me/us by, that one pleases me/us. Do not be surprised if thy travels bring you to places where I/we am/are known otherwise, however. The Realms are vast, and we Powers relatively few."

Aidan nodded. Anthropologists back on Earth would have a field day with that. He inhaled deeply, then let his breath out and asked, "What is it You brought me here to do?"

The Brighaid settled back on Their throne. "Ah, the heart of the matter." They nodded. "There is much that I/we cannot tell thee. Know that the Chosen, thyself included, are intended as agents of change in the Realms. I/We believe you already know the first change: the balance of power between mortals and those above must be restored. No two of us agree on which path to take, and thus we each Chose our Champions. Thy prayer and my/our response at Ceallach Macht started the process, though there is much yet to be done."

The Brighaid leaned forward again, drawing Aidan's eyes briefly to Their bared breasts before he marshaled his Willpower. "For the near future, thy task is to grow strong. Right now, thou art only a candle's flame. Dark days are coming, beloved, and thou must become the fire that lights up the night." They stood and approached Aidan on the bed. "Thy ultimate task is to be my/our Champion in all things. I/we Chose thee and thee alone, where others sowed their seeds wide and far. All my/our hopes rest in thee, but I/we chose well. Thou art my/our Champion in more than name; thou need no instruction from me/us, for it is already within thy heart to do so." They climbed onto the bed and straddled Aidan's lap, leaning in close and whispering, "There is yet time for one final question. Ask, Aidan."

It was all Aidan could do to keep his mind from drowning in the exquisite proximity of his Patron. He fought against the sensation of Their mouth nipping at his neck, ignored Their hands stroking his back, and choked down the urge to lift his hips towards the damp heat radiating between Their silken thighs. Finally, he managed to gasp out, "Was my sister Chosen too?"

Perfect lips pressed against his, and Aidan's awareness dissolved into infinite pleasure. A single word kept him afloat as waves of ecstasy banished him from the dream-that-was-not-a-dream: "Yes."

 


 

Aidan
Sixthday, 2nd week of the 8th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Morning

Aidan woke before Brighid the next morning, but, not wanting to prompt another nightmare, he remained in her arms. Sometime during the night, Riama had wedged herself between them; remembering her admonishment, Aidan began to scratch her ears and stroke her back. His familiar opened one golden eye to look at him, then closed it again and snuggled closer. <pervasive feeling that all is right with the world>.

Aidan smiled and sent back, <contentment, love, togetherness>. The astral jaguar's distinct rumbling purr answered him. A few minutes later, Brighid stirred, her arms tightening around him. "Mmm. Good morning, my love." She nuzzled his hair. "What do you plan to do today?"

"Aside from letting Sarpedon know that I'm accepting his quest? No plans. For the first time since I came to the Realms, there are no pressing life-or-death situations for me to handle. I could use a vacation."

Brighid laughed and squeezed him again. "If ever there was someone who earned a vacation with three weeks of work, it is you, my heart. Do you mind if I come with you? I was too buried in my thoughts to talk to Sarpedon while we waited for your return, and I am curious about them."

"Of course! I have no secrets from you anymore, Brighid. You don't ever need to ask whether you can come with me; I would spend every day by your side if I could."

"I know," Brighid grinned at him, "but a girl likes to hear that she is wanted."

Aidan laughed and gave her a faint swat on the flank. "You do not need to fish for compliments, but I will shower you with them anyway. You are the kindest, fiercest, most beautiful person I have met, inside and out. You are all the proof anyone should need as to the truth of the Brighaid's doctrine. I love you, Brighid. A life without you would be empty."

Brighid blushed crimson and ducked her head to rub her cheek against his shoulder. "I am not so perfect as that. You are kind to overlook my flaws, but they exist."

"Of course they do. No one is perfect, love. It is our imperfections and differences that make us who we are. I love that you lead me off on adventures that I would never start on my own, like kissing your mother. That impulsive side of you is something I cherish. I need someone to drag me out of my own thoughts and keep me from wearing a rut in the ground doing the same thing every day."

Brighid trembled and looked up at him, teary-eyed. "What did I do to deserve you? I love you, Aidan, more than I ever thought possible." She leaned in and kissed him thoroughly enough that Riama vacated the bed again.

When they emerged for air, Aidan sighed and straightened. "Before we get to any of the fun stuff, however, I have two important things to tell you. Recent developments; I haven't been keeping anything else from you." He explained the Paragon points he received from his part in the dawn of the new Age as well as the rewards available to him.

To his surprise, Brighid's response to his mortality was stoic. "I never believed you to be immortal, love, even after you returned to me. I already expect every death to be your last. Now you will, too; that eases my mind. You have not thrown your life away frivolously yet, and now I know you will not. What were the spellbooks you received?"

"I got three I could learn and two I could not. Summon Steed, Lesser Soulbind, and Summon Golden Fawn were the ones I can use, assuming I have my lovely and gracious partner's permission to do so." Brighid snickered at him. "The other two... I will tell you if you want, my heart, but I warn you that the very first thing I did was to shove them in my Handy Haversack. I will not be able to learn either spell for a long time; one is described as Forbidden, and the other possibly even worse. Just knowing what they are is dangerous."

Brighid nodded, expression sober. "I trust you, Aidan. I admit to intense curiosity, but I can suppress it. Please let me know if you do decide to learn them, though."

"Heh, I'd have to anyway. The shorter of the two takes two entire days to read at 100% affinity. I can't imagine how anyone without my particular advantage could expect to survive reading either of them, just due to the time it would take someone with degraded affinity."

A scarlet eyebrow arched above emerald eyes. "There are ways to shorten the time needed to learn a new spell, but forty-eight hours means it is Master-tier. Spellbooks at that level are rare beyond belief, and you say the other takes longer?" She shook her head. "Momentous things happen around you, love."

"Yes, well, about that. The other reward I picked from the store was a second dream-visit with my Patron. That happened last night. They allowed me to ask Them a few questions. The answers, for the most part, weren't surprising. They confirmed that They are the Brighaid—although I guess that is only one name They answer to. I can return to Earth, although the road will be long and hard if I choose to take it. They gave me a little information on the reason I was Chosen and what they want from me in the future, though it sorely lacked in detail. And... Brighid, my sister was Chosen as well. Eve is here, somewhere, and I need to find her."

Brighid wrapped her arms tight around Aidan and squeezed him close. "That is wonderful news, my love! Do you have any idea who or where she is?"

He shook his head. "No, not a clue. And worse, she's smart. Assuming she was given even half as many clues about what's going on as I got, she'll be hiding what she is. It won't be easy to find her." Aidan sighed and stretched, then suggested, "We should get up and have some breakfast. I'll cook." <intense hunger> came from the black cat sitting on the table. Aidan laughed and told her, "Yes, for you too, you little glutton."

 

Special thanks to Cenomy, Orange, and Somedude for their exceptional support on Patreon!

84