Champion, Chapter 31: Hail to the King
4.3k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aidan
The Realms
Fifthday, 3rd week of the 9th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Mid-Afternoon
Ceallach Macht, Mistvale Highlands

Lail led the way to the central plaza. There, a crowd of centaurs watched as a couple dozen harpies oversaw a similar number of men of varying races unloading crates and barrels. As Aidan watched, four more winged women lowered a net to the ground with more men and goods. Aidan was surprised at the variety on display; he spotted humans, an elf, two dwarves, catfolk, dogfolk, a cu uisce, and even what looked like a lizardman.

One of the harpies spotted him and ran off to tug at the elbow of another. The second woman turned around and started to move towards him and Sunnild, who whispered to Aidan, "That is Flight Major Cynehild; she's the one in command of the embassy. She's pretty easy-going for a senior officer."

"Lord Aidan, I assume?" asked Cynehild when she got close enough to talk without shouting.

"Yes, that's me. It looks like you have things well in hand, but is there anything I can do to help from an administrative level?"

Cynehild nodded, then reached up to pull strands of honey-blonde hair from in front of her eyes. Sweat clung to her despite the chill of the late autumn air. "If you can direct me to our quarters, I can start getting everyone settled in. I understand that you only have generic facilities available for now?"

"Yeah, right now we're using communal homes just for efficiency's sake. Getting everyone moved into single-family houses is high on the list, but there's only so much manpower to go around. Anyway, you can use any of the buildings marked with wings; those are reserved for you. I wasn't very sure how you'd want to divide things up, so there are 8 of them, each of which can house twenty or so people as long as they're not terribly prudish."

Cynehild nodded again and said, "That will be fine for now. We anticipated needing to build our own accommodations—no one expected you to make us a miniature Ayrie in a week. Headquarters will send building materials with the next flight so that we do not put a strain on your resources."

"I appreciate that. We have a city's worth of bricks and blocks to work with, but it's tedious and unpleasant labor to extract and sort it all." He waited while the Flight Major issued some orders to her underlings, then continued, "As it happens, I was in a meeting with the Starchaser Council and some of my advisors. You are welcome to join us with an aide or three. There's no formal treaty between us yet, but the fact that you're preparing for a permanent presence here leads me to believe that it will come soon."

"Thank you, Lord Aidan. I will take you up on your offer. Perhaps we can go over the terms of the treaties once the scheduled business has concluded?"

"Sounds like a plan." He waited while Cynehild gave some more orders and rounded up an assistant, then led them back to the meeting.


Aidan
Late Afternoon

Two hours later, Aidan was ready for the meeting to be over. They'd worked out all manner of infrastructure priorities, supply issues, and plans for future development. Once that was done, Cynehild produced a sheaf of documents for them to look over. The harpies pushed the treaties' terms a little further than in the initial tentative agreement, but after some back-and-forth, everything was agreed to and signed. The Starchasers and Ash Shroud Sisterhood had an official information-sharing and defensive pact, while the city of Ceallach Macht took its first steps toward being a multi-racial metropolis.

Aidan was happy at the progress, but long meetings drained his energy. "Is there anything else we need to address?" he asked once all the signing finished.

"Two things, actually," said Fionn. "First, you never finished explaining your plan for the Mist Stalker mission."

"Ugh, you're right. I got distracted, sorry. And we've done things a little out of order. Major Cynehild, three days ago, a dragon attacked Ceallach Macht." The harpy officer's eyes bulged at that news. "As you can see, we are still here; we were able to fight it off. I can show you proof if you need it since Ysbail managed to cut off the tip of its tail; I doubt there are any other reptiles that large around here. However, we were unable to kill it, and it'll be back at some point.

"It fled into or through Mist Stalker territory, and I'm going to follow it. Not to fight it, I'm under no illusions about how that would end up for me, but we need more information. While I'm there, I'm going to invite the Mist Stalkers to send a delegation like yours here to the city. Obviously, none of the centaurs can be part of that expedition, so I'm taking Sunnild as a bodyguard since you all get along a little better than we do with the cats. That all being said, is there anything helpful that you can tell us about the Mist Stalkers or their territory?"

"This dragon," Cynehild asked, voice cautious, "would you be expecting our assistance in fighting it?"

"Expecting? No; its grudge is with me, and its goal is taking over Caer Macht. Also, everything happened before we signed the treaty. Hoping? Yes. If it takes over the Throne, you'll be little more than its minions if you stay. We're hoping to gather a coalition of the nearby tribes to fight against it."

"How badly did you say you hurt it?"

"How soon do we expect it back, you mean?" Aidan was too tired to dance the dance. "My elementals and I scarred its face, blinded one of its eyes, and gouged out a couple craters in its chest. I have reason to believe that it will not return for several months."

"I will need to confer with my superiors before we commit to anything concerning the dragon," Cynehild said, "but I can provide some assistance with the Mist Stalkers, at least. Their current Chieftan is named Searlas. He is a cunning sort who runs hot and cold, and he holds a grudge long past what is reasonable. Those that cross him have their lives fall apart, piece by piece, at his direction, until he personally finishes them off. Still, he is smart enough not to make open moves against those powerful enough to hurt him in return, and if you do not give him a reason to form a grudge, he should have no cause to act against you. He is also not callous or cruel to his subjects; he has been working to improve the life of his average citizens. The Mist Stalkers allow some trade from the human nations, so your appearance should not cause undue alarm."

"Thank you, that's valuable information. Do you happen to know if there are any gifts I could bring Chieftan Searlas to smooth the introduction process?"

"Women." Cynehild's lips curled in distaste. "He is a lustful man and maintains a harem of pleasure-slaves. I would recommend making it very clear that Wingsister Sunnild is off-limits. Assuming she is, of course; I would not wish to presume."

"She is," Aidan confirmed, squeezing Sunnild's hand. "I will not be able to indulge him in that regard. Is there anything less repulsive he might enjoy?"

She shrugged. "Searlas is as fond of wealth and power as any petty lord. Gold, jewels, magic items, or rare materials will all be welcome."

"Those are easy enough, at least. Do you perhaps have a map of Mist Stalker territory?" Aidan asked. "I'm sure that your flight makes such things easier to acquire than for those of us bound to the land."

"We do, although I cannot give one to you. Our maps are one of our most important strategic assets. I can, however, show you where to find the main Mist Stalker village."

"Thank you. Is there anything else I need to know about the Mist Stalkers?"

Cynehild tilted her head, her eyes shifting up and to the left. "Culturally, they favor results over methodology; cheating is considered fair play as long as you do not get caught. As such, they value subtlety and the ability to imply without promising. Be very careful about the terms of any agreements you make with them, especially verbal ones. On the other hand, you will earn respect if you play along with their games.”

Aidan groaned to himself. For all his complaints about dealing with politics, the Starchasers and Sisterhood were a straightforward lot. It sounded like the Mist Stalkers would be much more troublesome. Aidan wasn't sure he wanted them as a part of his city, but he'd let his own observations make the decision for him. "Alright. Unless anyone has something else, I think that's plenty on the Mist Stalkers for now. Fionn, you had one more item to discuss?"

The old warrior nodded. "Yes. This one is a little more personal. Lord Aidan, forgive me if I overstep myself, but the name we called you when you first came to us no longer fits you. You are no longer lost and alone. Indeed, you have almost the entire tribe talking about you in favorable terms. You, your magic, and your elementals have taken root in the tribe's imagination, and I have heard whispers of a new title for you—Phoenix King Aidan. It is perhaps a little grandiose for our current situation, but it suits you and your goals."

 

Congratulations! You have been given a new Epithet, Phoenix King.
While acting under the auspices of this Epithet, you have increased affinity with Animamancy, Beast Magic, Fire Magic, and Vivimancy, and Ceallach Macht gains more prestige from your actions.

 

"I—" Aidan stuttered, "I—what? I never asked for this."

"Nevertheless, you have it," said Eilwen. "You can try to change your image, but your battles against Karsarrym and the Taig left quite an impression. Trying to avoid or downplay it may cause people to lose heart."

Aidan closed his eyes. Considering only the bonuses from the Epithets themselves, Phoenix King was far better than Lostlorn. The increased learning speed with his magic would be much more significant than a 10% bonus to experience earned from exploration and friendships, and Phoenix King also gave direct benefits to his nascent Kingdom. Still... Aidan pushed Kindle the Hearth-Flame into Crown of the Exalted and opened his eyes. The harpy representatives stared in fascination at the ethereal diadem encircling his head, but Aidan ignored them for the moment.

"When I first gained this Ability," Aidan gestured to his head, "Brighid cautioned me against using it too openly. What has changed that you are now urging me to name myself a King?"

Anwn snorted and scolded him, "Come now, Lord Aidan."

Ceirios was gentler. "Everything changed. You have gone from stranger to savior, Aidan. Your power is viewed as a talisman of protection rather than a sword aimed at our necks. Ceallach Macht is now our hope for the future instead of a festering evil, and you are its Lord. Most of all, you are being given respect rather than demanding it."

"Major Cynehild, care to weigh in?"

Cynehild's wings rustled, and she was silent for a moment before saying, "So long as you claim no rulership you are not granted, call yourself whatever you please. You are the Lord of this city, a King in essence if perhaps not yet in fact. If the Starchasers already refer to you as such, it is not my place to gainsay them."

"Alright, I guess that makes it unanimous." Aidan glanced at Ailis, who was hiding a smile behind her teacup. There was pride and hunger in her eyes; Aidan remembered her telling him that the farther he rose, the higher she would be standing at his side. Well, she actually said sitting at my feet, but I can raise her a little higher than that. He switched epithets.

The lack of any reaction from the world at large was a mild surprise; he half-expected an achievement or quest or at least an acknowledgment. Instead, the silence in the room dragged out until he coughed awkwardly and asked, "Is there any other business, then?"

Heads shook around the table, so Aidan rose from his place at the table. "Well, then I, for one, am going to stretch my legs some. No offense to any of you, but this meeting lasted all afternoon. I'll seek out each of you in the next few days to go over smaller matters. Major Cynehild, you'll be my first stop in the morning. Until then, if you need to reach me, I'll be under the hill; just go straight until the altar room, and one of my guards will be able to fetch me." He helped Sunnild to her feet, earning a quick kiss as a reward, then nodded to the others and made his exit.

Once free of interminable politics, Aidan stretched. "I thought that meeting would never end!" he complained. "C'mon, I have one more person for you to meet today. Assuming we can find her."

"Mm! Who are we looking for?" Sunnild cuddled up to his side.

"Ysbail, another friend of mine. I'm not sure how well you two will get along, but I have some things to discuss with her, and she may join our Labyrinth party." Sunnild nodded and rested her head against Aidan's shoulder, humming a sprightly tune as they walked.

Lucky! thought Aidan as he spotted Ysbail's tall form drilling in the city's makeshift training field. She swung a wooden sword—more of a plank with a handle than a sword, really—at a padded practice dummy, her motions smooth and fluid.

"Does she actually use a sword that big?" Sunnild murmured to Aidan as they watched.

"Yeah, no idea how she can swing it around so fast, but she does. Saved my life against Karsarrym by parrying his lightning breath."

"Then I'll do my best ta get along with her. Why do ya think we might not?"

"She's an Adventurer; she makes a living out of hunting down and killing monsters."

Sunnild nodded and fell silent. Once it became clear that Ysbail was in a world of her own and wouldn't notice them until she finished her drill, Aidan sat down at the edge of the field and pulled Sunnild down onto his lap. She blushed bright red but didn't let her embarrassment keep her from making herself comfortable. Tempted as he was, Aidan limited his touch to Sunnild's bare midriff.

Ten or fifteen minutes passed before Ysbail shouldered her blade and wiped the sweat from her brow with a towel. She turned, spotted Aidan, and made her way over. Aidan rose to his feet, lifting Sunnild up as he did.

"Fearless leader!" Ysbail laughed. "What brings you by today, and who is this cutie? The harpies only got here this afternoon, and you made a move already?"

Sunnild's blush returned in full force, but Aidan laughed it off and introduced the pair. "Ysbail, this is Sunnild, a good friend of mine and Brighid's. Sunnild, Ysbail."

Ysbail's eyes flicked to Aidan's hand on Sunnild's belly and the way the girl pressed herself against him. "Good friends indeed," she smirked. "So what can I do for you, boss?"

"If I told you that I had access to an endless dungeon full of infinite monsters and treasure, what would you say?"

Ysbail arched an eyebrow, her smirk growing wider. "I would ask who I have to fuck to get in on some of that action, but you already gave me the answer. So do you want me here in the field in front of everyone, or shall we retire somewhere more private?" Her hands rose to the leather binding around her breasts.

Aidan snorted. "One day, someone will call your bluff, you know."

"What bluff?" Ysbail laughed, but she lowered her hands. "If you can keep Brighid satisfied and convince a harpy to join your harem instead of the other way around, you must be good. Ah, well, I will just have to find someone else to satisfy that itch. Really though, what do I need to do?"

"Eventually, I'd like you to join my party. Unfortunately, I'm going to be headed out on business in a couple days and will be busy getting everything set up to run in my absence until then. In the meantime, if you want to gather a group together and make a few runs at it yourself, you're welcome to.

"I'd appreciate it if you take one or two of the Ash Shroud harpies with you; I'm sure they have someone worth your time. Cai or Llwyd can show you the way, and Brighid has a spare Escape Token you can use to get out of a tight spot." Aidan grinned at Ysbail. "I'll leave it up to you to convince her to give it to you."

"I will make sure to be extra convincing!" Ysbail waggled her eyebrows up and down, drawing a giggle from Sunnild. "What sort of dungeon is it, anyway?"

"We've only explored part of the first floor so far, so I can't give too many details." Aidan described what he'd encountered so far and gave Ysbail a copy of his map. "My understanding is that the layout will be the same for you, but each party—defined by the party leader—will experience a different 'instance' of the Labyrinth, so you'll need to trigger all those shortcuts yourself. Oh, and out of gratitude for saving my ass, I'll waive the Labyrinth tax for you. Only you, mind; your other party members will still need to pay up."

"Hah! Now that is how to get to this girl's heart!" Ysbail clapped Aidan on the back. "Well, I need to look up some old friends and sweet-talk some new ones. No time to waste; there is adventuring to be done!"

Ysbail walked off, waving over her shoulder at them. Sunnild wiggled against Aidan and watched the Adventurer leave.

Special thanks to Cenomy, Orange, and Somedude for their exceptional support on Patreon!

59