Champion, Chapter 49: The Road Home
2.2k 7 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This chapter involves a timeskip. A text list of the skill changes is included with each status sheet at the end of the chapter.

Aidan
The Realms
Sixthday, 5th week of the 9th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Mid-Morning
Outside Termondoon, Mist Stalker territory, Mistvale Highlands

"We hope that this visit will herald a new era of peace and cooperation between our tribes," Searlas said, speaking to a crowd of catfolk at Termondoon's main gate. "Although the dawn of the Age of the Chosen heralds chaos, with friends and allies, it need not overwhelm us. And, as a proven friend to the Mist Stalkers, we hereby present these gifts to Lord Aidan of Ceallach Macht upon his departure.

"First, we wish Lord Aidan a long and healthy life, so we grant him a ring crafted by the finest jeweler in Termondoon, enchanted with protective wards by our own personal mage." Searlas handed Aidan a ring of burnished platinum, set with large, abyssal purple sapphires surrounded by tiny diamonds in geometric patterns. He inspected it with Analyze, then slipped it on.

 

Midnight Constellation Warding Ring. A platinum ring adorned with sapphires and diamonds.
Rarity: Epic. Item Quality: Exquisite.
Effects: Provides 3 Protection across the entire body at all times. Increases the effectiveness of the wearer's Stealth or Mist Shroud Skill at night. Once per day, refreshing at midnight, can create a spherical ward 10 yards in diameter that prevents individuals and creatures of level 18 or lower with hostile intent from entering; if the ward is broken or bypassed, the spell notifies and awakens the wearer.

 

"Second," Searlas continued, "a more personal gift. We understand that Lord Aidan intends to start a family soon." Aidan's eyes widened; that was not something the catfolk Chieftan should be aware of. "Although childless ourselves, we understand that new parents often struggle as their children keep them awake through the night. These magical cribs—one of each crafted in the style of the Starchasers, Ash Shroud Sisterhood, and Mist Stalkers—will ease a newborn's sleep and maintain their occupants' health and hygiene and keep them satiated throughout the night."

Aoife stiffened beside Aidan at the mention of a crib designed for catfolk children. He put a hand on her shoulder, a silent warning and reassurance. She shrugged off his touch but sighed and nestled back against him a moment later. The cribs themselves were well-crafted, from what Aidan could tell, and each was large enough to fit one centaur or two harpy or catfolk babies.

 

Gentle Sleep Crib. A wood-and-metal crib filled with warm blankets and pillows.
Rarity: Rare. Item Quality: High quality.
Effects: Extends and eases the sleep of any baby placed within up to 8 hours. As long as there is a source of nutritional, child-safe food within 10 feet, it will be consumed to sate any hunger that might wake the child. Automatically cleans all children contained within.

 

Although they were thoughtful gifts, they were also warnings; a message to Aidan that his personal life wasn't private any longer. At least, I hope that's all the message is, Aidan thought to himself, rather than a threat. Regardless, after Aidan inspected them, workers loaded them onto one of the wagons accompanying the caravan.

"Finally," Searlas said, "something for all the citizens of Ceallach Macht, from the citizens of Termondoon. That grand old city now hosts people once again, and winter is coming. While the Starchasers are consummate hunters, there is little time to plant and harvest new crops before snow covers the ground. Thus, we are sending Lord Aidan off with five wagons full of grain and vegetables so that his people need not worry about where their food will come from."

That was a generous gesture; the Starchasers shouldn't have needed any help providing food for themselves, but Karsarrym's attack destroyed many of the wagons dedicated to transporting the village's stored food. The only reason there wasn't a food crisis back home is that the recent battles severely depleted the centaurs' population, making what food they had left stretch much longer than it would have a year prior. This gift changed that further from a lean winter to a slight surplus.

Searlas bowed to Aidan, then took a step back. Aidan returned the gesture and said, "Thank you, Chieftan. When I first planned this expedition, my advisors argued against it. They considered it too great a risk. I am beyond pleased that their fears were unfounded! Instead of daggers in the dark, I found friends and allies! Rather than seething hatred, I was greeted with open arms and smiles!"

Aidan waited for the cheers from the crowd to die down, then continued, "My dream is peace and prosperity for all the land, and I invite you to be a part of that. After discussion with Lord Searlas, he has graciously granted me permission to make the following announcement: any who wish to become a citizen of Ceallach Macht is welcome to join us there. You will have a voice on the Grand Council, both as a member of your race and by whatever profession you hold."

Then Aidan smiled and shot Searlas a sly look. "I will also note that The Dreaming Tabernacle, a grand temple dedicated to the Brighaid and the other benevolent deities, is already under construction. Those of you who wish to learn more of Their ways should consider a pilgrimage to speak with Her High Priestess there."

Searlas gave Aidan a wry grin and a slight nod in acknowledgment of the political maneuver, then stepped forward and embraced him. "Well played," he said, quietly enough that the cheering crowd couldn't overhear. "I think you can expect a sizeable influx of commoners in the next month or so. If I did not still have a firm hold on the military, I would complain that you are eroding my power base. I wish you well, Lord Aidan, and I will send word of the dragon along with my official delegation. Safe travels."

The ceremony wound down after that, and soon, Aidan was underway at the head of a ten-wagon caravan. Aoife rode behind him on his summoned steed while Sunnild soared overhead. Five squads of Mist Stalker soldiers, on loan from Searlas, formed an honor guard. One by one, the wagons trailed off into the morning mists.

 


Aidan
Secondday, 2nd week of the 10th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Mid-Afternoon
Near Ceallach Macht, Mistvale Highlands

Aidan and Aoife crested the final hill and saw the gleaming white stone of Ceallach Macht rising out of the thin mists of the valley below them. Aidan felt tension he hadn't even known existed flowing out of his body as his subconscious finally accepted that he was home. The faint dot of brilliant red and copper he could barely make out at the edge of the city, however, was what made his heart soar.

Aidan didn't even realize that he'd spurred his horse into a gallop until he heard Aoife squeal in surprise and wrap her arms around his waist. He looked up and spotted Sunnild diving towards the city, trailed by a pair of eagle-shaped passion elementals. He laughed and jabbed his heels into his mount's ribs, demanding more speed as they raced for the prize of being the first into Brighid's arms. The caravan trailed behind, but Aidan couldn't bring himself to care after weeks spent away from his Soulmate.

Five long minutes later, Aidan flung himself off the horse's back and into Brighid's arms, Sunnild swooping down a heartbeat later to burrow in beside him. Brighid lifted them both up into the air, hugging them to her bosom. "Welcome back!" she exclaimed in between frantic kisses. "I missed you both so much! Please, never leave me behind again!"

"I'm sorry," Aidan apologized into Brighid's neck. "I missed you too, love. Dreams aren't enough."

"And I didn't even have those!" Sunnild pouted. Brighid gave her a thorough kiss, one large hand cupping the back of the harpy's head to pin her in place.

Once the frenzy of their greetings died down, Brighid lowered Aidan and Sunnild to their feet, then looked over their shoulders. "And you are Aoife, I assume?"

"I am," the catfolk woman said from behind Aidan. "And you are Brighid?"

"Yes. Welcome to Ceallach Macht, Aoife. Aidan told me some of what happened to you; I hope you can find peace and freedom here with us."

"That is gracious of you, my Lady. Lord Aidan promised to find a way to free me, and he has given me no reason to doubt his intention to follow through. Until that day, I am unable to leave his vicinity, so I hope that there can be harmony between us."

Brighid's emerald gaze roamed across Aoife's body. The catfolk was bundled up in a fur-lined dress that clung to her generous curves despite revealing very little skin. "I am looking forward to learning more about you," Brighid said after her eyes returned to Aoife's. "I see no reason that we cannot be close friends." Aoife smirked and tugged at the front of her dress, exposing a hint of cleavage. Brighid's eyes dipped down for a split second before returning to Aoife's face.

"Yes," Aoife said with a half-laugh, "I see what you mean." Brighid's cheeks burned red at being caught out. "If it is all the same to you, however, I would like a chance to settle into my new life here before I get too ... entangled. Of course, I am always open to the right type of persuasion." Her voice dropped to a husky purr at the end, and her fingers tugged her neckline further down.

Aidan took mercy on Brighid, who appeared transfixed by Aoife's seduction. He reached up and tangled his fingers in the centaur's scarlet hair, tilting her head down until her gaze snapped to him. "There's plenty of time for you to chase the kitty later. As much as I long to spend some quality time with you, I imagine Ailis would be a little upset with me if I vanished into bed with you without checking in with her first."

Brighid bit her lip, then dipped down and pressed hungry lips to his. "Are you sure I cannot persuade you otherwise?"

"Sorry, love. Duty is heavier than a mountain." Aidan avoided finishing that aphorism, even in his head. "Why don't you and Sunnild go ahead and get reacquainted, though? I'll join you when your mother finishes with me."

"I like that idea!" Sunnild chirped.

Brighid laughed, then tapped Aidan on the nose. "Tell Mother that she had better not take up too much of your time tonight. She can have you tomorrow." She turned her attention to Sunnild and asked, "Race you to the hill?"

"Yer on!" the harpy giggled, then crouched and launched herself into the air, buffeting the others with the wind from her wings. Brighid kissed Aidan again, then wheeled and broke into a gallop, heading toward the city's center.

Aidan turned to Aoife and asked, "Would you like to join me, or would you rather explore the city some? The elementals will mark you as my guest." He gestured at the hovering, eagle-sized magical creatures.

"If you don't mind, I think I'd like to get the lay of the land. But first, where will I be sleeping?"

"I'll have one of the non-dormitory rooms prepared for you," Aidan told her. "You'll have to do without a bed for a little while—centaurs have different sleeping arrangements than you're used to—but we have plenty of cushions for you to sleep on. When you're ready to turn in, ask one of the elementals to guide you."

"Thank you, my Lord," Aoife said with a nod. "I will leave you to entertain your ladies, then." She turned and walked away, her tail curling in the air behind her.

Aidan watched Aoife leave with a slight frown on his face. She'd been running hot and cold since he's acquired her control bracelet. The catgirl was ravenous on that first night, demanding Aidan's attention for almost two hours straight before finally slipping into an exhausted—and happy, he thought—slumber.

However, she'd kept her distance after that. Aoife remained affectionate, never shying from his touch. Indeed, she'd initiated more than one session of hungry kisses and passionate touches, only to pull away just before events crossed the line of no return. At night she slept on the opposite side of the king-size bed from Aidan and Sunnild, and during the journey to Ceallach Macht, she used a separate tent. "So that you two have some privacy," she'd said at the time, but neither Aidan nor Sunnild would have objected to her joining them.

Aidan dismissed the puzzle that was Aoife and returned to his summoned mount with a shrug and a shake of his head. He had business to attend to and then a Soulmate to ravish.

 


Aidan
Mid-Afternoon
Ceallach Macht, Mistvale Highlands

Aidan found Ailis in her office near the Idyllic Forum. She looked up when he knocked on the door frame, then rose to her hooves with a bright smile on her face. "Welcome back, Lord Aidan," she said. "I am surprised to see you; I know Brighid was up at dawn and planned to wait for you."

"Yes," he agreed, "we met her outside the city. I sent her ahead with Sunnild, but I would have felt guilty if I didn't check in with you before joining them."

"How responsible of you," Ailis drawled, voice filled with wry amusement.

"She also told me in no uncertain terms that I'd better not spend too long with you. Brighid said you can have me tomorrow night, but tonight is hers."

The silver-haired centaur laughed and shook her head. "Of course. Well, shall we get to it then?" She repositioned a few cushions so that Aidan could sit beside her, then settled in at her desk again.

"As you no doubt saw on your way in, the Dreaming Tabernacle is already nearing completion. We estimate completion in another five days. The Phoenix's Nest will take longer, unfortunately. There is much more involved in its construction, and it will not be ready for at least another month."

"Less than ideal, but not unexpected. The Tabernacle really isn't much more than a large, enclosed garden with a church in the center, after all. The Nest is both larger in footprint and grander in scope. What about housing and infrastructure?"

"We average three to four private homes per day, which we give out by lottery. At this point, it is going to be another two months or so before everyone has their own house again. There is some muttering, but overall, people are dealing with it. Roads are no problem, and we have an excess of warehouse and granary space."

"That's good," Aidan said with a nod. "There's a caravan from Termondoon an hour or so behind me. Five of the wagons are full of food, a gift from the Mist Stalkers' current leader. The others are from private traders I made a few deals with—iron, copper, and tin, plus some higher-grade stone and wood than we have local sources for at the moment."

"Gerwyn will be happy to hear that, and the food is a blessing. We had enough for everyone to eat stew all winter, but that would have dealt a blow to morale."

"How are the harpies settling in?" Aidan asked.

"They completed their enclave last week and moved out of communal housing. Major Cynehild has kept them busy; they have been doing patrols of the surroundings and helping Anwn's hunters." Then she snorted, "Oh, and Ysbail requisitioned a mage for her Labyrinth expeditions; I think there may be a serious case of hero-worship blooming there. Wulfryn hardly leaves Ysbail's side, even outside the dungeon."

"That's great news!" Aidan smiled. "And how have those expeditions been going?"

"You would be better off speaking to Ysbail directly about that. I only know that her party goes in two or three times a week and comes out laden with materials for Brighid and the other crafters."

Aidan nodded. "I'll seek her out tomorrow after I meet with the Council. Speaking of, can you schedule a Council meeting for me?"

"Already done. I assumed you would want one, so once Brighid told me when you were due, I set it up."

"The second-best decision I made was to appoint you as my Chancellor," Aidan chuckled. "Thank you, Ailis, truly. I'm glad to have someone I can trust and rely on to keep everything running."

Ailis shifted and turned to look at Aidan. Her cheeks glowed bright pink at his unexpected declaration, and the icy blue of her eyes turned smoky. "You had better be prepared to fulfill Brighid's promise tomorrow," she husked. "Now, get out of here before I decide to jump my daughter's claim." She punctuated her order with a hungry kiss.

Aidan indulged her for several minutes until Ailis's hands started to wander beneath his clothes. He pulled back with reluctance, then stood. "I'll see you tomorrow," he promised, then hurried out of the office. He had to stop outside the door to adjust his pants' fit before making his way into Caer Macht.

Aidan's current status sheet:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Air Magic to 14
Animamancy to 15
Beast Magic to 20
Earth Magic to 13
Magical Theory to 18
Glyphs to 8
Incantations to 8
Oneiromancy to 10, gained a knack and a spell
Negotiation to 3
Oratory to 5, gained a knack
Riding to 13
Sex to 57
Dominance to 19
Foreplay to 27
Vivimancy to 17

[collapse]

Brighid's current status sheet:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Masturbation to 14
Smithing to 52, gained a knack and qualifies for Specialization
Armorsmith to 33
Labyrinth Materials to 9, gained a knack
Weaponsmith to 37

[collapse]

Sunnild's current status sheet:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Flying to 23
Observation to 18
Sex to 27
Foreplay to 4
Submission to 3

[collapse]

Pronunciation Guide (infinitesimal spoiler warning, names only without any details)

Special thanks to Cenomy, Orange, Somedude, and Lupus for their exceptional support on Patreon!

55