Broken Word: Chapter 6
594 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ship performed a grand total of ten teleportations, marked by a blue shimmer that spread throughout the ship. Each time the shimmer passed over us, I noticed that Jocelyn and Casey’s hands seemed to tremble slightly. While this could normally be understood as a natural shake from holding one’s arms in position for a prolonged period of time, they were otherwise utterly still.

“Interesting, interesting.” Speaker Thorn spoke up with a gentle smile, her eyes flashing after each teleport. It was as if she was taking a picture of the two of them in order to compare the minute differences in their arms.

It wasn’t until the tenth and final teleport that their arms lowered, pointing directly to their left. Afterwards, with one final flash, Thorn nodded her head. “I’ve uploaded the directions as well as the coordinates for each reading into the ship’s computers. You two can relax now, and it will take no more than a few minutes until we have our destination. However, please allow us a few days to prepare.”

When she saw the distressed look on the girls, as well as my no doubt anxious expression, Thorn’s smile grew softer. “Although the calculations have not finished, I can determine that our journey is at least fifty-thousand light years away. This is far beyond any journey we have taken beyond our borders, so we must take the time to calculate a suitable destination. It would be unfortunate if we were to teleport into the center of a large moon or asteroid.”

While I didn’t like it… she was right. I had never practiced any teleportation techniques before, but I knew how dangerous it was. “Is there no way to simply lock onto our home dimension and transport directly over?” I heard that the March was developing transdimensional warp technology for that purpose, to more easily send cargo vessels over.

However, Thorn simply shook her head. “If we had known about the definite existence of alternate realms before this, then it would have surely been something that we would have studied before now. At the present moment, my assumption is that Mother Lyra found a weak point between the two realities. Only through exploiting this would she have been able to pass over.”

“Unfortunately, she did not report this finding over the Network.This shows that she was harboring her ambitions for some time, studying the dimensional weakness on her own in hopes of claiming your worlds. It is fortunate that Mother Lyra did not have a military position which would allow her access to our more advanced weaponry.”

I gave a small sigh at that, before becoming curious. “Can I ask what your ranks mean, then? She mentioned that she was essentially the High Mother of the realm, and we have also heard the names Speaker and Mother. But that’s really all we know…”

“Certainly!” Thorn seemed quite excited to be able to explain this for me, enough that it startled the two girls. “You see, our government structure is handled as such. The highest form of power within the Metong race is known as High Mother. She is the universal administrator for the Network, and holds both of the Metong votes.”

“Beneath her are her Cardinals, each supervising a specific field. The Blue Cardinal of magic, the White Cardinal of science, the Red Cardinal of peace, and the Black Cardinal of war.” Thorn lifted her hand, counting off each of the cardinals with a finger.

“Now, beneath the Cardinals, the structure becomes a bit different. The remaining ranks are Bishop, Knight, Mother, Speaker, Child, and Rook. Bishops are regarded as planetary level commanders, with one stationed at each Metong world. They fall under the jurisdiction of the Red Cardinal in times of peace, and the Black Cardinal in times of war.”

“Knights are far more simple, they are the soldier class. However, their jurisdictions are more split. A Knight serving on a mining vessel such as this would report to the White Cardinal, while a Knight serving on a combat vessel would report to the Black Cardinal.”

“They usually do not need to worry about that, however, as each Knight will report directly to their Mother. A Mother is a more localized government figure, responsible for guiding their Metong and raising the next generation. Each ship or Metong city contains at least one Mother. It is typically the Mother that reports directly to a Cardinal or Bishop, unless specific situations arise. For instance, I will be contacting the High Mother shortly to discuss your situation, despite only being a Speaker.”

“Speakers like myself are the voices of the Metong. Our primary duty is to socialize with other races, and there will often be dozens of us aboard any single vessel. When Mother Lyra referred to herself as the acting Speaker, that can only mean that she was alone on her vessel, for a Mother would be the last person on the ship to take the role of Speaker.”

“Next is the Child. These are the young Metong that have not yet reached the age of maturity to be evaluated for their future role. Often, their gender is neutral, for they have yet to determine what they wish to look like in the future. Once a Metong has ‘settled’, they become a Rook.”

“Rook can be applied to any rank, and signifies that the Metong in question is undergoing training for their role. As an example, it is possible for a Speaker to be promoted to a Mother, at which point they would become a Rook Mother until they have completed their training. Similarly, it is possible for a Knight or Mother to be promoted to a Rook Bishop, or a Bishop to a Rook Cardinal, if something were to happen to one of the Cardinals.”

I nodded, doing my best to absorb this information. “What about scientists or mages? You have ranks for Soldiers, Diplomats, and Leaders, but nothing for a Scientist, Doctor, Craftsman, or Mage.”

Thorn’s smile grew wider as she heard my question. “This is often asked by new species. While the role of the Metong is as I previously described, they are capable of pursuing their own passions as well. I myself am confident in my abilities as a mage, while I personally know a Knight that is pursuing the path of organic medicine.”

“These are classified as Specializations within the ranks. Specializations are a voluntary pursuit that any Metong can strive for. If they achieve success in their Specialization, they can apply for a personal workstation. At that point, their Specialization would take priority over their rank. However, as I said, they must first show a degree of success in their chosen Specialization before that happens.”

“Have you not gotten that far as a mage, yet?” I asked curiously, eyeing Thorn. However, she let out a light laugh.

“Quite to the contrary! I could apply for a workstation if I wished to. However, it is my joy to be able to interact with other races. I merely pursue magic as a means of defending myself, should the need arise, or making the lives of those I interact with easier.”

I gave a slight nod, believing that I understood her. Glancing back towards the other two, I saw that they were starting to calm down. Casey’s formerly skittish look was fading, and she was starting to become more confident in herself. Meanwhile, Jocelyn’s tense frame was relaxed.

“When are we contacting the High Mother?” I asked, directing my gaze back at Thorn.

“We can do so as soon as you are ready. There are no further preparations needed, beyond access to a communications terminal.” Thorn nodded her head seriously, realizing that it was time to get back to business.

“You girls alright to handle this now? It’s the ruler of a galactic civilization, after all.” I grinned towards Casey and Jocelyn.

“I mean, they seem nice enough?” Casey responded, shaking her head. “Nobody’s tried to ‘become one’ with me, yet. Should we get changed first? Is there, like, some special attire one has to wear when meeting the High Mother?”

“That is not so, Casey.” Thorn spoke readily to assure her. “We Metong do not put value in external clothing. However, we do see the purpose for most organic races to wear it. So long as your attire is not directly offensive to the High Mother, you may dress as you wish.”

“Let’s get going, then!” Jocelyn seemed far more excited for this. Was this some fantasy of hers, to have direct contact with a queen? Or rather, Empress in this case, with an empire spanning hundreds of light years.

I nodded in agreement, and Thorn waved her hand. Within the center of the metallic room, the floor rose up as if in a fluid motion. It spread out to create a table, and then four chairs. Three of the chairs were on one side of the table, with the last being on the other. Thorn herself took the lone chair, and I sat between the sisters on the other side.

Once everyone was seated, Thorn placed her hand on the table. “Requesting access to a communications terminal.” The center of the table rippled, and a black sphere emerged atop it, to which she nodded.

“Designation, Speaker Thorn. According to the protocols for both First Contact and Treason, I request direct contact with the High Mother.” She placed both hands on the table following this, and waited for a long moment. However, there was not a trace of impatience on her face.

Soon, a holographic figure was projected on the table between us. Since she was facing Lyra, we only saw her rear view… but what a view it was. “Speaker Thorn, was it?” The woman asked as she directed her gaze to Thorn. There was a trace of uncertainty in her tone, as if she didn’t just hear the name of the caller, but was rather recalling her identity from memory.

“I am honored that you remember me, High Mother.” Speaker Thorn spoke with a sincere tone, nodding her head.

“What is your situation, for you to have contacted me? I remember that you should be mining a world right now.”

“Unfortunately, there was a change of plans.” Thorn’s voice carried a more grave tone to it. “I have initiated contact today according to the protocols of both First Contact and Treason.”

The relaxed figure of the High Mother stiffened, before she nodded her head. “Has one of our own gone rogue and attacked a new race, or has a hostile new race pulled a Metong to their side?”

“The former, High Mother. However, I fear it is even more dire than that. The traitor in question is Mother Lyra, and she initiated hostile first contact on a race within an alternate reality. I have run the scans, and confirmed this to be true. Of those she attacked, three were in possession of a Fate series card that teleported them to my designated planet.” Thorn made a gesture, and the High Mother turned around to face us.

“This is… most unusual. Are you sure that they are from an alternate reality, and not simply another galaxy?” The High Mother asked, looking over her shoulder at Thorn, who shook her head.

“The card contained dimensional aspects in its activated effect. There is a seventy percent chance that they are from another reality. However, there is a gateway within our realm that leads to their’s. Unfortunately, it is tens of thousands of light years beyond Metong space.”

“I think I see the problem.” The High Mother sighed, before once again turning to face us. “I would like to represent the Metong people to apologize for the transgressions of Mother Lyra. It has never been our desire to be seen as a militaristic or hostile civilization. We wish for peaceful coexistence and unity with our allies.” To my surprise, the leader of this massive civilization actually gave a bow with her apology.

“It’s fine.” I hastily answered, knowing that I shouldn’t let such a respected figure take the blame for one of no doubt billions, or even trillions of her subordinates. “I only want to get us back home and save my friends.”

The High Mother turned and looked towards Thorn in confusion. “Save them? I thought you said it was Mother Lyra? According to my records, the only Mother Lyra that is missing from the Network is a Class Nine lifeform. In the time that it takes for you to return, I believe it should not be possible to save those she wishes to kill. Please do not inform me that you have misled these poor souls with false hope?”

“Not at all, High Mother.” Thorn quickly shook her head. “Mother Lyra’s goal in her endeavor appears to be to establish her own Network within this alternate realm. Her method of doing so is more invasive than our own, and requires her to merge with the subjects, implanting them with a control device.”

“From the events explained to me, I estimate a ninety-two percent chance that she will not kill the individuals she assaulted. Rather, she will force them into a state of nonresistance. After which, she will implant them with control chips and turn them into her puppets. Like this, it should be possible to save them by eliminating the traitor.”

The High Mother hesitated for a moment, letting out a sigh. “I understand what you are asking of me. You wish to use the Unspoken Word on a Metong. Only by erasing all traces of her will you be able to prevent her from restoring her will through the control devices, correct?”

Thorn gave a heavy nod. “That is the only outcome I can see acceptable, High Mother. The only other option to terminate the traitor would be to kill every puppet she has possessed. In the time she has been gone, she may have planted her control chips in various space-faring monsters as a contingency against conventional destruction methods.”

“I understand.” The High Mother sounded remorseful, but still agreed. “This will be the first time the Unspoken Word has ever been directed at one of our own. However, it is as you said. This is the only solution which can assure the safety of her targets, as well as the elimination of a traitor.”

“Inform your Mother to journey to the Core world. I will bestow the Unspoken Word, and allow your vessel to upgrade its generator for your journey. Furthermore, I will grant your Mother temporary Cardinal privilege. Once in the other reality, you should be able to track down this Mother Lyra.”

“Thank you, High Mother.” Thorn gave a respectful nod, clearly happy that the High Mother was willing to see justice in this matter.

“If that is all-” And then immediately interrupted her when the High Mother attempted to close the conversation.

“Actually, there is one other detail. The gate that we are journeying to is not on an unoccupied world. There is apparently a metallic race of similar nature to us, known as the March. The March is part of an alliance between universes, consisting of numerous different realities, including the one in which these travelers come from.” Thorn held a hand up as she spoke, as if to let the High Mother now just how urgent this was.

“I believe that it would be extremely beneficial to us if we were to ally the Network with this group. As such, I request authorization to act as Speaker to this world while this vessel completes the mission you have assigned.”

The High Mother looked at her curiously. However, I could see the corner of her lips turn into a smile from how her head was turned. “I see… rather than waiting for the mission to be completed and contact the home planet of these travelers, you wish to first contact this March, and through them make contact with the other worlds.”

“That is correct, High Mother.” Thorn answered with a joyful smile.

“Uhm, pardon me.” Jocelyn spoke up for the first time during the meeting. “I don’t think that will be very easy, miss High Mother.”

“Hmm?” The High Mother turned to direct a kind look towards Jocelyn. “May I ask why, my dear?”

“You see… before Thorn found us, we were under the impression that your entire race was like Lyra… We had already sent a warning back to our people that the Metong were a hostile race. If you let one of them simply go alone… I’m afraid we made problems for you, didn’t we?” Jocelyn seemed embarrassed as she asked her question, only for the High Mother to shake her head. Her smile was a bit more stiff, but no less kind.

“No, you did what you had to do. From the evidence you had at that time, I have no doubt that you thought the worse of us, and I cannot blame you for it. However, can you explain this method of communication to me? It may be possible to undo the damage done before it is too late.”

Jocelyn nodded her head, quickly telling Thorn and the High Mother about the existence of the Boundless Caravan. The two of them were both intrigued by the concept, but saddened when they heard about the message that was sent.

“Very well.” The High Mother let out a faint sigh. “If I compose a message, and pass it to the Mother along with the Unspoken Word, would you be willing to share it with your caravan? I would like to clarify the truth about the Metong, with your help. Only sincerity will allow us to overcome this hardship.”

“Of course, miss High Mother!” Jocelyn beamed proudly, allowing the High Mother’s smile to once again return.

After saying that, she looked towards Thorn with what I had no doubt was an amused gaze. “Then, is there anything else, Speaker Thorn? You have my permission to initiate contact with the March upon arrival to their world.”

“That’s all, High Mother.” Thorn appeared excited by the news that she was given, and I felt that it was a bit more important than initiating first contact. Could it be that a Speaker who made first contact would be the official delegate between Metong and that race? And, because she was making contact with the league of allied worlds, that meant that she would be the official delegate for the entire alliance? Given what I could see of Thorn, that would surely make her excited...

16