Chapter 3 – Strangers in a Strange Land
118 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first thing Kai felt was the noise and the smell... one smell was the sewers - the other smell was something like coal smoke, but different.  He coughed trying to breathe it.   The noise was like a wave, washing over him like the tide... the honks and beeps of the strange carriages, the bell-like sounds from other devices, and the other unidentifiable sounds, mixed with the sounds of thousands of human beings paralyzed him...  Nothing he’d ever encountered had prepared him for this, and his mind simply couldn’t handle it.   He started to hyperventilate, and could feel icy fear crawl up his spine...  Erica and Christine live in this chaos and madness? This can’t be happening!

 

He staggered backwards, until he could feel the stone wall of a building behind him - if he had not, he would have fallen prone he was so dizzy from the sensation overload.   Sir Andred was not so lucky, nor prepared, and fell on his rump, gasping in terror.  Maeve tried to stand her ground, but was shaky, and uncertain.  Kai was certain they were feeling much as he was...  And through it all, Christine and even Erica were drinking it in, happy as clams.   How can they stand this... this cacophony?  I was a fool to think she might want to stay with me on Mercia - her world and mine are too different.  I don’t know how she could love... this...this...  he thought with disgust, and yet find it in her heart to love the green forests and hills of Valris as well.  Kai didn’t have the words to describe how he felt - how he was filled with revulsion when he saw what Christine and Erica considered normal.  If this is their idea of a city, they can have it.  Nothing we have will ever measure up - for which I am very thankful.

 

Gods... I’m having trouble breathing...  Calm yourself, Kai!   Kai tried to concentrate, and use some of the meditation techniques Maeve had taught him to clear his mind.   Slowly, they began to help a bit - in the past they’d saved him from being ensorcelled by a Fey princess who fancied him - which was fortunate because her lovers often ended up on the menu.   As he gulped for air, he could see Maeve was trying to master herself as well - and Sir Andred was huddled on his knees, praying for salvation, just as panicked as Kai was a moment ago.

 

It took a moment for Kai to realize Erica was holding him, trying to keep him from falling over, trying to soothe him with words - words he was too confused and dazzled at the moment to understand.   Christine was trying to help Sir Andred - with limited success - her Valdan was still sketchy and rough at best.  Both of the girls looked very concerned for them - and Erica at least, looked like she had been expecting something like this, but perhaps on a lesser scale.

 

“I... I’m okay.”  Kai gasped.  “Just panicking... Help Sir Andred.”  Kai was still dazzled by the wall of sound and lights, but he was slowly getting a grip on his emotions - it wasn’t easy.  The strangeness of the scene, plus the intense stimulus had only barely not caused him to pass out.  Maybe it’s easier if you don’t look at it, he thought.  He looked down on the ground at his feet, and covered his ears with his palms - and it did seem to help a bit - but he couldn’t tune out a number of Erica’s countrymen mocking him with words he only partially knew.  “Look at the spaz!”  “Freaks.”  “Crazy ren-faire rejects."

 

Maeve staggered over to Kai as Erica and Christine ministered to Sir Andred, and clasped a hand on his shoulder.  “It’s quite a bit worse than the time I was here before, I’d say.”  Maeve said.  “You holding up okay, Kai?”

 

“Yeah... I’m slowly getting better.  What the hell is all this?”

 

“Fucked if I know.  I don’t know what a tenth of what I see is...  Those things with the wheels - the carriages - people ride in them at crazy speeds.  Other than that, I have no clue at all my friend.   I don’t know where we are, but it’s not Christine’s house - it’s nicer and quieter there.  This... this is chaos.”

 

Kai grinned a bit at Maeve, glad to see at least one of his travelling companions hadn’t lost her mind.  He stood straighter with Maeve’s help, and tried to think straight.  Erica’s world... what’s the word?  Fucking sucks, he thought.  But I’ll survive it.  What is it Maeve always says?  Stay alive - the rest will take care of itself.  Good advice.

 

Meanwhile, Christine finally noticed Maeve, Kai and Sir Andred were simultaneously starting to have massive panic attacks.   At first she didn’t realize why - but even she could tell the noise and smell was significant after being on quiet pastoral Mercia for over a month.  It must seem like pure chaos to them!  Maeve looked like she was managing alright, and Erica was trying to help Kai, so she approached Sir Andred, who she could tell was incanting prayers to one of the Mercian gods or goddesses.   I think it’s one of the Twins, his patrons - Feana or Hathor - I can’t tell which. 

 

“Sir Andred,” she said, in a calm voice, speaking in what she thought was adequate Valdan.  “Listen to the sound of my voice, Sir Andred.  There is nothing here that will harm you - it’s but noise and lights.  Just cars and lights - like machines.  There are no enemies - no danger.  It’s alright... relax.”  Her voice slowly soothed the knight, but it was obvious he couldn’t understand her well enough and was reacting to her tone of voice, and not the words she was saying.  “Dammit - I need help.  Erica!  I need help with Andred - he doesn’t understand me!”

 

A moment later, Erica rushed over from ministering to Kai, and started repeating what Christine was saying to Sir Andred, in much better Valdan.   Dammit - I worked just as hard learning that language as she did - and she’s still better due to that link with the Dreamer.  Grrr!   Sir Andred slowly started to calm - and by the time she and Erica had stopped him hyperventilating, a very shaken Maeve and Kai had slowly walked over to see how he was doing. 

 

Maeve called out.  “Sir Andred, it helps if you look towards the ground and cover your ears, if you must.  Treat it like a hostile illusion, and it makes more sense.”

 

Sir Andred realized Maeve was probably right and tried his prayers to resist mental domination - and that combined with Christine’s and Erica’s aid, was enough to get him back on what passed for an even keel.

 

“Gods blood, ladies!  How do you stand this infernal racket?  And the stench?”  He asked.

 

“This is busy but not that bad... It could have been much worse.”  Erica raised her voice over the crowd a bit, to make sure they could hear.   She could see all three of them visibly shudder at the thought - they probably would have passed out had the reality of their arrival been much more intense, instead of the normal throng of Friday afternoon crowds.  

 

Christine could tell her friends were still pretty dazed by the noise.  “It’s probably quieter inside the mall - which is where we need to go anyway...  Let’s go inside - we can get the stuff we need and it’ll be quieter and less in your face - it might be better for all of you.”

 

“I agree.”  Erica said.  “Let’s go inside...”   As she started to herd her friends over, Erica saw a rotating door as the primary entrance...  “Oh crud.  Watch me with the door, Maeve, Andred, Kai - it only rotates one way, so push and walk in - and when you get inside, let go of the door and keep following me - DON’T keep walking in a circle in the doorway or people will get annoyed.”

 

Erica went over to the rotating door, and walked through it to show her friends how to use it...  It seems basic, if you think about it - but Kai and the others have never seen a door like this before.  They’ll probably walk in circles if I don’t show them how.  Gah!   “See?  Easy!”

 

Christine urged Kai to try it.  He did - and made it through the devilish construction without problem - and was followed by Maeve and Andred - who had to be rescued before he went full circuit and came around again, despite Erica’s warnings.  

 

Inside the Eaton’s center, it was much quieter - it was still noisy, but a more manageable noise and a slightly more familiar noise - like that of a crowded marketplace (minus the braying of animals).   The lights and images were somewhat dimmed as well - but that didn’t diminish the spectacle of what they saw even a bit - their band was at the base of a large open area, with high vaulted ceilings - at least five stories tall - capped by a ceiling made of perfectly clear glass panels, which gave the mall an open to the sky look that made it seem less claustrophobic.   Rising from the ground floor was a pair of moving staircases - escalators to Christine’s and Erica’s eyes, moving up and down to other floors - and a beautiful fountain was not too far away, with a beautiful artistic display of statues that looked like a flock of geese, displayed so as to appear the flock was taking off from a wetland.  It was, to their eyes, like entering a crystal palace of wonders - and they stood and gawked.

 

Sir Andred gawped and stared.  This was beyond reason...  How could these people be so wealthy as to live in such extravagance?  It boggles the mind.   Maeve looked just as boggled - and Kai was starting to get a permanent frown on his face - he obviously wasn’t having fun, that’s for sure.

 

Maeve looked about and drank in the strangeness of the artifices - the number of glowing lights and lanterns, the screens with moving images, and the strange moving stairways that people didn’t have to climb up or down on.   It’s amazing... this is what Madragoor could look like in a thousand years, if it tried.  It’s beautiful - and alien.  This is what they hope to achieve, made real...  Maeve, being half Madragan by birth could really appreciate the artistry and craft that went into all these many creations - but something in her - perhaps the Valdan part of her - rebelled... it was beautiful, but it was also sterile.  Like a crystal hive.  She didn’t know how to explain it.

 

The first thing Kai noticed, after the electronic and electric wonders, was how overweight and out of shape the population of the mall was...  At least one in four was obese, some of them excessively so - he doubted even a tenth of the people here could walk a full days travel.  These people are soft - soft and weak, and wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.  None of them look to have any form of martial skill whatsoever.   Then Kai realized what he’d thought all along was wrong... all along he thought Erica was a normal young man - and Christine was a bit of a coward - friendly, but a bit of a coward.   What he was beginning to see for the first time was Christine was the normal one - and it was Erica who was exceptional.  Erica who threw herself into battle, and had the forethought to garner weapons.  Erica who risked herself to save her comrades.  Why do the gods do this to mortals...  Why did they make me love her when she can’t come home with us?   Or worse, won’t want to.  Kai felt like he wanted to curl up into a ball and cry - but he held his ground.   

 

Christine and Erica let them have their moment, and then Christine led the way (with Erica following up behind) towards one of the stores nearest the band - an Old Navy store that carried almost everything they would need.  

           

Again, the three outlanders goggled at the sheer quantity and quality of goods - the sheer excess of what we had to choose from, what was for sale, was staggering and unreal.  Thousands of garments, if not more - in one store alone.  

 

Christine couldn’t help but rib Erica a bit... “So, Erica.”  She said.

 

“Yeah?  What’s up Christine?”

 

“We’re in a mall.”

 

“Yeah - so?”  Erica asked.

 

“You... feel like doing anything?” she asked, waiting expectantly.  “Anything at all?”

 

Erica shook her head laughing.  “Shopping isn’t a genetically female thing to do, you know.”

 

“Can’t blame me for asking.”  Christine said.  “Gather round – I’ve got a plan to get us out of here soon as possible.”  Christine gathered everyone in a huddle.  “Okay guys - I know you’re pretty stressed out.  We need clothes - so I’m going to do Kai and Sir Andred first, then I’m going to do Maeve and you Erica.   Once we’ve got clothes, we’ll probably have to hit the Hot Topic across the hall for underclothes like bras - but other than that, we should be able to get everything else here.  I figure two changes of clothes each should be good enough for now.  We get the clothes - and we leave.  The subway station - that is what’s going to give us a ride to my house - is right beneath us, but it’ll probably be too much to take today.  We can be in and out of here in less than two hours if we hurry.”

 

“I’m all for hurrying Christine.  I don’t like this place.”  Kai said.  “Maybe your home will be easier to think in?”

 

“That’s what I’m thinking too.”  Christine said.  “Malls can be so loud you can’t think sometimes.  C’mon – it’ll take longer if we dawdle.”  She led the group over to the menswear area, and took a good look at Kai and Andred, trying to judge their sizes.  Kai was fit, tall and strong, without being a body builder - maybe a mens 2x...  Andred was a bear of a man, a little short - but thick as an oak and strong as an ox.  Definitely a 3x or 4x for his shirts, and maybe a 3x for his pants.   She grabbed a 6-pack of boxer shorts and t-shirts for each of them, plus a polo shirt, a chambray shirt, a belt and two pairs of jeans.  She also tossed in a bag of socks and a pair of pajama pants each, and a warm fall coat.

 

“What do we do with these?”  Sir Andred asked. 

 

“You go into those changing rooms over there...”  Christine pointed.  “...and you try on the pants and the shirts - if they’re too big, I’ll get you smaller ones, and if they’re too small, I’ll get you bigger ones.”

 

“Why don’t we just get the seamstress to let them in or out, and tailor them?”  Kai asked. 

 

“Because most clothing stores don’t staff seamstresses  - they sell what’s on the shelf, and if it doesn’t fit, too bad...”  Christine answered.

 

“That’s a stupid way to run a draper’s.”  Maeve said.  “What if someone needs an adjustment - do they just do without, or buy something else?”

 

“Pretty much, yeah.”  Erica said.  “You remember when we said we admired you cause everything was hand-made with love and care.  Well a lot of the stuff people buy was made by 11-year old kids in sweat shops working for pennies a day, in horrible work conditions.   I’d love to see a seamstress on site - but it only happens in the really high-end shops.”

 

“This ISN’T a high-end shop?” Maeve asked. 

 

“Nope - this is pretty run-of the mill.  Maybe a middle class shop.”  Christine said.

 

The others shook their heads, and Kai and Andred went to get changed.   It took a few minutes, but they soon found the clothes fit fine – Christine’s guess on their sizes was close enough - and they got out without too much embarrassment.

 

Next came Maeve and Erica.  While Kai and Andred had been trying on clothes’, Maeve had been letting her eyes wander.  Her grandmother used to be a seamstress - and she could tell the fabric was pretty, but not particularly durable.  The workmanship was good, but not great - and in some cases not even good.  Everything was made hastily on the cheap.  It was an odd way to live.

 

Erica was also a bit bemused - and apprehensive.  All around her were clothes she loved seeing on the girls before she was one - and now was probably going to end up wearing them.   She was a bit stressed at the idea - because she knew how good they would make her look, and she was still uncomfortable with her looks - but also because she liked the idea of dressing up... she’d wanted to be able to do it for so long, it was like a dream was finally coming true.  She didn’t know where to start.

 

Christine went and grabbed clothes for Maeve and Erica to speed things up too.  Erica and Maeve got a bag of socks and underwear each, a bag of three comfort bras, a knit top and a few tee-shirts, two pairs of jeans and a skirt, pajamas, and a warm fall coat, like Kai and Sir Andred had been given.   They were on their way to the change rooms, when Christine noticed she had lost Erica somewhere.  Kai and Andred were impatient to leave, so she got Maeve into the changing rooms and went to look for Erica.

 

She found the wayward lass looking at a pair of strappy leather fashion boots - they were light brown with a decent heel without being high enough to be suicide for Erica to try.  Erica saw her coming and looked at her pleading...  Oh she did NOT just try the puppy dog eyes on me, did she?  Oh my god, she did...  Christine laughed to herself.   She denies it, but the first thing she saw was those boots I bet.   She’s such a girl.  “Get them and come on – everyone’s waiting and we have one more stop.”

 

“One more?  What for?”  Erica asked.

 

“Bras - for you and Maeve.  Those soft ones we got here won’t offer much support if we get to sword swinging and fighting and stuff.  Plus you need a purse to carry your stuff in - when you get stuff to carry, and they have some good ones at the store with the bras anyway.  I saw them in the window on the way in.   Hurry up... geez.”  Christine pushed Erica over to the change rooms and the startled and nervous young woman went inside.  While she was inside, Maeve emerged and indicated the shirts were too small - so changes were made, and she went back inside.   It was all over in short order, and they grabbed their purchases and headed up to the counter to pay.

 

The clerk was a girl in her late teens - kind of pretty in that not fully grown up state some kids get.  She had two piercings in each ear, and was chewing a piece of gum.  Her makeup was average, and she looked presentable - as expected.  “Is this all on one purchase ma’am?”

 

“Yes, please.  I’ll pay by interac - could you ring this stuff in while I look for my card?”

 

“Sure thing.”  The girl said, and started scanning the items by pulling them past a little hand-gun that shot red light onto the price-tags, and then made a corresponding electronic beep on the cash register.  Andred, Kai and Maeve were watching raptly, entranced.

 

“Your friends all right?”  She asked. 

 

“Yeah...”  Christine said.  “They grew up in a commune - this is their first time in a big city.”

 

“Ahhh... ‘kay.  Must be strange, huh?”

 

“Exceedingly.”  Maeve said.  “But still interesting.”

 

She finished ringing in the goods.  “That’ll be 1134.84, ma’am.  Do you have air miles?”

 

“Oh - yeah... here.”  Christine had finally found her wallet in her bloodstained, battered purse.  She pulled out her ATM and air miles card, and the clerk scanned them and handed them back after she entered her PIN.  Then she bagged the goods, and handed them over to Christine, who passed them out to everyone else to carry, and made for the exit.

 

“That was very interesting, Christine.”  Maeve said, “But when do we pay for these?”

 

“What do you mean?  We just did.”  Christine said.  “That plastic card had my banking information on it - and the machines talked to the bank, and borrowed the money against its balance.  We’re all good.”

 

“Maeve, isn’t a bank one of those new Madragan ideas that hasn’t caught on yet?”  Kai asked.  “You were telling me about it a few years ago.”

 

“Yeah - I remember now...  You pay them to hold on to your money.  Strange, really - I don’t know why anyone sane would do that.  It doesn’t make sense.”  Maeve replied.  “It must make someone some money, if the Madragans are doing it - but it sure won’t be the bank customers.”

 

“You don’t even have...”  Christine started, then stopped.  You know what?  I don’t care.  I’m home - and if they don’t have banks, it’s not a big deal anymore.  I am SOOOO glad I’m home.

 

“Sooo... What are air miles?”  Andred asked.

 

“Argh.  Air miles are something you accrue when making purchases - and when you make enough purchases, you can get free passage on ... a flying machine that takes you to other countries in only a few hours, I guess you’d call it.  That’s it...  I swear do you guys ask questions like this all the time?”

 

“Welcome to my world, Christine.”  Maeve said.  “When you two first arrived on Mercia I thought I would never stop answering silly questions.  I guess the shoes now on the other foot?”

 

Christine laughed.  “I guess so.”  She motioned across the hallway to the stores on the other side of the mall.  “We’re going to that one - Hot Topic.”   Maeve and Erica need a few extra garments.

 

“So we just stand here and wait?”  Kai asked.  “Or come with you and wait.”

 

“I’d feel safer if we all stayed together.”  Christine said.   “C’mon.”

 

As they moved inside, the group of friends passed rack after rack after shelf of women’s clothing.  Skirts, T-shirts, Accessories, even some Dresses - and found a large lingerie section.  Sir Andred, when he realized what kind of store they were in, turned bright red, and started muttering prayers under his breath, and Kai was a pleasant color of pink as well.   Come to think of, so is Erica, Christine thought.

 

With the help of a few scandalously dressed clerks, some measurements, and about 20 minutes and a change room, Christine was able to find two or three bras offering some decent support - and some style - for each of the two women.  Maeve was a B-cup, which wasn’t surprising - but Erica was also a B-cup, which in her emaciated state meant that when she filled out by not being constantly starved, and perhaps aging a bit (her new body was still looking a bit young for an adult), she’d probably increase a full size or maybe more.   Maybe I’d better not tell her that for a few weeks?  Christine thought.  She’s practically hyperventilating now - no need to panic her.  Christine tossed in three black leather purses - the kind that go with anything...  one for Erica, and one for herself - her purse was pooched after a month in Mercia and several pitched battles for her life, and one for Maeve, in case she wanted it.

 

Again, the clerk asked if Christine had air miles, and again she paid with her Interac card.   By the time they left the store, Erica was blushing red, and Kai and Andred were blushing red even stronger, and Sir Andred was still sweating and praying under his breath.   Maeve seemed to find the whole thing humorous, as did Christine.

 

“I think that’s it, guys.” she said.  “We have everything we need right now - so we should probably head home to my place to get cleaned up.  Were all dirty and putting on clean clothes right now would just gunge them up.   Then I’ll get us dinner and we can talk - I’m sure someone will want to talk about something - and if you don’t want to, I’ve got spare rooms where you can get some rest... Okay?”

 

Kai, Andred and Maeve looked relieved - and so did Erica, come to think of it; she translated Christine’s message for Sir Andred.  Christine could tell that today seemed to be draining on Erica too... which was odd.  Christine felt energized - like everything was right with the world...  I can understand the others being tired and exhausted - but Erica?  I thought she’d be excited to be home?

 

“Erica!  Subway or Cab to my place?”  Christine asked.

 

Erica looked at the others, then considered how she was feeling.  “Could we do a cab, Christine?  I’m not sure Maeve or the others could handle the subway after today - hell, I’m not sure I could.”

 

Huh?  I wonder what her problem is?  Christine shrugged.  Maybe she’s been away too long?  “Okay - keep everyone here - I’ll be right back.”

 

Erica sighed, looking relieved.  “Sure.”

 

Christine quickly rushed back into the Hot Topic, and borrowed their store phone to call a cab.  Christine just smiled meekly and pointed to her paperweight of a cell phone – its battery dead.  “Sorry - it died an hour ago.”

 

The clerk laughed.  “Been there, ma’am - no worries.  Your friends look pretty frazzled.”

 

“More than you know.”  Christine laughed.  She called Crown Taxi - she liked their yellow cars, and they were in her experience fairly quick and clean.  A few minutes later, the cab was on its way to meet them, on the south west corner of Dundas and Yonge.

 

Christine thanked the clerk, and came back out into the mall.  Kai and Andred and Maeve looked relieved.  Erica was bright pink from blushing, and looked very tired, as did all the others.  Huh.  She thought.  Maybe Kai said something?  Or is Erica finding out what being a pretty girl in public can be like?  I’ll ask when we get home.

 

“We’ve got to go outside to wait for the cab.”  Christine said as she approached her friends.  “So you’d better steel yourselves or something.  You guys look wiped.”

 

Kai groaned.  “I’ll assume that actually means something else?”

 

Erica laughed.  “It means tired, or exhausted.”

 

“Then yes, we’re wiped.”  Maeve said.  “Let’s go outside.”  She turned to Sir Andred, and asked him in Valdan  “How are you holding up, Sir Andred?”

 

“I’ve been better, Maeve.  This place is very confusing, and those stores!  And what you and Erica were wearing?!   It’s scandalous, some of it.  I’d like to rest.”

 

“We’re going to Christine’s home to rest right now,” Erica said, interrupting.  “But we’ve got to go outside one more time, and for a short ride in one of the moving carriages.  They’re relatively safe, so don’t worry about it, okay?”

 

He smiled wanly.  “It’s the relatively part that is worrisome, Erica.  That and the fact they move without horses to draw them.  ‘Tis most unnatural.”

 

Christine shepherded them outside to wait for the cab.  Their group walked outside into the sun and noise and light and smell - and this time, although it did affect the three outworlders, it didn’t affect them as much as it had earlier, and they were able to manage.   Erica directed everyone up to the corner of the street, where they could see odd lamps flashing red, yellow, and green lamps - with another lamp showing a white person and a red hand.  Neither Maeve, nor Kai nor Sir Andred had the slightest clue what the lights meant - but the carriages and throngs of people crossing the street in turns seemed to know.

 

Once outside, the five friends got settled, and waited for the cab... About 15 minutes passed, and everyone other than Christine just slumped, tired.   No one spoke, although Erica did reach out and hold Kai’s hand for a while; Kai held onto it like it was a life preserver, and shot her a grateful smile.  They were all relieved and gladdened when the cab finally pulled up. 

 

Christine and Erica had to show them how to open the door, and directed them inside to their seats.  Finally, it was over, and the cabbie - an east Indian from the look of it - started driving.  Christine sat up front with the cab driver, while Sir Andred, who looked the most frazzled sat in the back with Maeve, while Erica and Kai sat in the middle seat.  Kai was still clutching Erica’s hand like it was a lifeline, and Erica showed everyone how to buckle up. 

 

Unlike most times, there were no questions - Maeve and Kai, and Sir Andred, just did it as directed - they looked too exhausted for more questions.  There undoubtedly was a reason for it they wouldn’t comprehend - they just added it to the list of many incomprehensibilities.  As they were driven to Christine’s home, the three seemed lost in their thoughts.  Andred and Kai were looking out their windows, and marveling at the speed at which they travelled - Maeve, having practically flown down the highway at 200 Kph was still impressed, but markedly less so.  Erica and Christine didn’t even notice - Erica seemed lost in her own thoughts, and Christine was chatting merrily with the driver, catching up on all the latest news and local stories, carefully avoiding any mention of the Neilson clinic or the massacre outside her home a month ago.         

 

Erica meanwhile tried to comfort Kai, who looked like he was at his limit.  He was shaking a bit, and a bit wild eyed at all the differences, and looked angry too - but Erica didn’t think he was mad at her - maybe her world, for being so strange and alien, perhaps.   “You going to be okay, Kai?”

 

“Maybe.  I need quiet - some rest.  Will it be long before we reach Christine’s home?”  He asked.

 

“Maybe fifteen minutes more.  That’s all.  I’ve been in her house a few times – you’ll like it.”

 

“Like it!  Ha!  Don’t listen to her Kai, you’ll think it’s a palace.  It has a magic box that keeps food chilled so you can have cold beer in the summer, and everything in the house looks as if it cost a fortune.  Our Christine either has a great deal of money, or wealthy parents.”

 

Erica couldn’t bring herself to tell her friends that her family could buy and sell Christine’s about ten thousand times over...  The Helstrome family was known to be worth perhaps 400 million dollars, when all was said and done.  Erica’s dad Anders came from old money, and was an incredibly successful investment banker to boot, who ran a small financial empire from his office off of Bay street.  She snorted, realizing she didn’t even know if her dad was still alive or not.  And I don’t even know how I feel about that - whether I’d be happier if he was alive or dead.  I don’t even care anymore.  Angie, Christine, Maeve, Kai and Sir Andred are my family now.  They’re all that really matters to me.

 

I was so uncomfortable in the mall - everyone was staring at me.  I thought it was bad on Mercia, in the town - but at least there I could write it off as being a stranger, or religious fervor.  This is nothing like that.  Erica shifted a bit uncomfortably.  I’m not used to being an object of lust.  It’s kinda weird.   No one ever groped me in a store before, when I was Eric - and today it’s happened twice.  I’m glad I didn’t say anything, or I’m sure Sir Andred would have found a way to try and behead the perpetrator... even without his sword.  Erica laughed to herself a bit.  I have confidence in his resourcefulness - and that’s scary.  I liked shopping though.  I wish we could have taken longer; it was fun.  I can’t wait to try those boots.  Erica smiled a bit - she was a bit apprehensive about appearing in public in women’s clothes - but it was something she’d wanted for a long time.  Now that she had her chance - with no one thinking less of her - she wasn’t sure she was ready for it.  

 

Her musings were cut short by the cab turning onto Nipigon avenue, and driving up to Christine’s house.  The cab drove up her driveway, and parked to let everyone out while Christine covered the cab fare... Ouch - over 80$ - that’s gotta take a chunk out of her finances when you add food, the clothes, and everything else were going to rack up.  I’d better talk to Angie about getting some cash to pay her back.  I wonder how worried Angie’s been about us?  I’ve been so worried about staying alive I kind of forgot...

 

Kai and the others crawled out of the cab, and after grabbing the many packages and parcels, they waited for Christine to finish paying the driver, while staring at the extravagant house before them - at least to their eyes.  Christine’s home was two stories tall, with a nice sized yard and three bedrooms, a stone and wrought iron fence, and fancy bay windows on each room - it looked picture perfect.  

 

“What?”  Christine asked.  “It’s my house.  Do you guys want to go in and rest?”  She repeated it in Valdan, and was not surprised when Sir Andred nodded vigorously.  

 

Kai leaned over to Maeve, and said “You’re right - it IS a mansion!”  In a stage whisper.  He looked at Christine, and smiled.  “Well, compared to my little tiny cabin it IS a mansion!”

 

“I suppose it could be.”  Christine said smiling.  “C’mon in.”  A few moments later, Christine motioned for her friends to follow, and she opened the door to her house.   Wow... it’s almost exactly the same as I left it.  I don’t know why I expected it to be different - but I kind of did.  Huh.   “Ummm... welcome to my home?”  She said, swinging the door wide and motioning everyone inside.  “Please take your shoes and blade boots off before walking on the carpets.”

 

Inside Christine’s home, her Mercian friends were amazed again - except perhaps Maeve.   The house was beautiful - the floors had a fine grey slate tile over most areas, except for the dining room and living room, which had a lush thick-napped green carpet.   The walls were paneled in light brown oak, which gave the house a glow like warm honey, and the lamps and fixtures were brass with soft frosted light bulbs that didn’t cast a harsh glow - making the home seem even warmer.   The only remnant of the confusion and chaos of Eric’s and Maeve’s first arrival here was a trash can by the kitchen that should have had beer cans in it, but which had been removed and left empty.  A number of items had also been moved, and a number of things she thought she had left here seemed to be missing.  

 

It took Christine a minute to figure it out... The police.  The police must have been here looking for clues as to where Eric and I went... There was a stolen police car out front, and dead people everywhere.  Oh geez - are we wanted for questioning?  I’d better check the internet.   Hell, I’d better check the mail.  “I’ll be right back guys - Erica could you get everyone upstairs and show them the showers?  I’ve got a million things I have to do and some can’t wait.”

 

“Sure - um... Any room with a shower is okay?  I don’t want to tie up the master bedroom.”  Erica asked.

 

“Don’t sweat it - get everyone cleaned and into their new clothes, and find them a room to nap in if they want it.  I’ve got to check the mail, and see if were wanted fugitives or if were okay.”  Christine said, worried a little.  “Don’t forget the situation when we left.”

 

“Gods, it seems like a year or two ago, doesn’t it?  It does to me.”  Erica said surprised.  “I’d say it feels like a lifetime ago, but that would be pushing it, wouldn’t it.”

 

“Not considering this is sort of your second life, Erica.”  Maeve said.  “Can I get us a beer from your fridge, Christine?”

 

“Sure!”  Christine called from the front cloak room.  “Whatever floats your boat.”

 

Maeve looked at Kai, who just shrugged his shoulders.  “I think she means go ahead.”  He said.

 

Erica chuckled as Maeve got four beers out of the fridge, and handed one to Kai, Andred, herself - and held one out to Erica.

 

“No thanks.”  Erica said.  “I’m not legal here to drink booze, and I see something else I miss too.”  She ducked past Maeve and grabbed a diet soda from the fridge, and cracked the tab.  Ahhhh... the cool crisp burn of aspartame! and took a mouthful... and nearly spit it out.   “Ewww...  I think it went bad or something.  Yuck.”   Erica put it down for a moment.  “Are your beers okay?”

 

Maeve nodded, as did Kai.  Sir Andred had already drunk half of his, and looked pleased.  “It’s a bit weak compared to home, but it’s nice - better than water or tea.   What’s that stuff you tried and didn’t like?”

 

“It’s called Diet Coke.”  She took another slurp of it - and this time it tasted much better - almost like her taste buds had to get used to it again.  “That’s better... it tasted really bad the first time I drank it - I thought it went bad.”

 

Kai nodded.  “True - but has that body you’re in ever tasted anything like it?  Maybe that’s what you felt - surprise or something like it.  Either that or you might have forgotten what it should taste like - but you haven’t been gone that long.”

 

“I dunno.”  Erica said.  “It tastes fine now.  How are you doing, Sir Andred?”  The last phrase she asked in Valdan.  

 

“I am getting much better.  It’s easier being in the house than on the streets or in that marketplace.  I’ve never seen such noise and stench in my life - and Ogden bore a foul odor at times.  What is it that Christine was directing you to do?”

 

“Oh – getting you all a bath or shower, and a place to nap or sleep if you need it.”  Erica said.

 

“Excellent.  I could use a good bath.  Thank you.”  Sir Andred finished off his beer and had another thing to say.  “Could we give one of the amulets to Christine, and all speak in Valdan so I may join the conversation, now that we are in private.  I’m feeling a bit left out.”

 

“That sounds like a great idea.”  Maeve said.  “I’ll give her mine for now.”  Maeve left the room, looking for Christine.

 

“That’s a much better idea than one of us having to translate.  Thanks for suggesting it, Sir Andred.”  Erica said a little bashfully.

 

“It’s not a problem, little one.  When I was a novice in the Orders of Knights Vigilant, I spent two years under a vow of silence.  I just don’t like to be left out when I don’t need be.”  Sir Andred smiled.  “So how about that bath?”

 

“As soon as Maeve gets back.”  Erica said as Maeve walked into the room, minus her translation amulet.  “And she’s back.  Everyone follow me.”   Erica found the stairs up to the second floor and led her friends through the house to the guest bathroom - which had a full bathroom, and the master bathroom just off the master bedroom.  She explained how the taps and shower curtains worked, showed them the hair shampoo and body wash.  “Have a shower or a bath as you like - just get really clean.  You might have noticed an odd smell in the air... that’s us.  We smell really bad compared to everyone else.  People here bathe every day or every other day, so if we want to blend in, we will have to do the same.”

 

Kai shook his head.  “So you have TWO bathrooms in a home, each with hot and cold running water, and soaps that smell like the richest of perfumes.  I should be surprised, but I’m not.   I think I’m running out of the ability to be astonished anymore.”

 

“As am I, my friend.”  Sir Andred sighed.  “Would you ladies like to go first?  It would be only proper.”

 

Maeve smiled.  “Thanks, Sir Andred.  I could use a good bath.  I’ll try not to be too long.”

 

Erica shook her head.  “I’ve got some stuff I need to help Christine with - I’ll go after you and Kai have yours.  Can I have your clothes - I’ll need to throw them in the laundry.”

 

“Does that mean you intend to hire a washerwoman, or do them yourself?”  Sir Andred asked.

 

“It means I’ll take them to a machine in the basement, and it will wash them and dry them over the next two hours, so none of us will have to do anything except relax and get clean.  I’ll turn around - just let me know when it’s safe.”

 

“Erica,” Kai said smiling.  “Why don’t you take us to the bathroom Maeve isn’t using, and wait in the hallway - and once were stripped, well toss our clothes in the hallway - and you can get them there.  Otherwise there isn’t much point in you turning around.  Once were naked, where are we supposed to go?”

 

“Right... duh. Sorry.”  Erica blushed and led them to the guest bathroom (Maeve was using the one in the master bedroom) - and got them settled with towels and washcloths.   “Call me when you’re done - oh, and you don’t have to reuse the water.  Just let it drain and well pour fresh for the next person.  There’s a hot water tank in the basement so we probably won’t run out.”   Erica left Kai and Andred to get stripped, and went to get everyone settled.

 

*           *           *

 

Meanwhile Christine looked through a month and a half of accumulated junk mail, late bills, and miscellaneous letters.   Only a few were truly important - the rest was the usual collection of sales, ads, and bill statements to let you know your automatic withdrawals worked as expected.   I’ll have to check my online banking later to make sure everything is okay, but it looks good.  And there’s nothing from the police.  That’s a start.

 

I should check the internet and see if we’re wanted felons or not.  She thought.  Then maybe call Angie once we’ve had a night’s sleep.  Erica deserves a chance to sort things out with his sister and let her know she’s alive.  And tell her he died, came back, and is now a girl...   Christine grinned at the face she just knew her old friend Angie would have when Erica dropped that bomb on her.  Angie’s jaw was going to hit the floor for sure.  

 

She plugged in her Cell phone, and turned on the laptop shed left in the kitchen.  Luckily shed left it charging - which, while not great for it, at least left it ready to go now that she was back home.  She sat in her comfortable chair by the computer and relaxed into it...  Nice to be home.  She thought.   I hope there still is a home by the time we’re done looking for Vargas.

 

A quick search of the internet indicated she and Eric were persons of interest, as was someone matching Maeve’s description.  She was described as a possible terrorist with a sword - and the internet said the attack at the clinic was... the work of Al Qaeda?  What the hell did the government tell everyone?  I suppose they had to tell them something - you can’t just say a demon did it on the CBC, I guess.

 

That’s messed up.  Christine said to herself, sighing.  Completely screwed up.   She saw Erica grabbing packs and bags from the front door cloak closet, and taking them upstairs.  I guess she’s still getting people settled.  I’d better help - we should be okay for now.  All I want now is a long bath.

 

Christine grabbed the last three shopping bags and what looked like her pack and Sir Andreds, and went upstairs.  Gah!  It feels like he packed some of his armor in here!   Sir Andreds pack was heavy! When she got upstairs, she saw Erica coming back for what she was carrying.  “Thought I’d help.”  She said.

 

“Thanks.  Your bag obviously goes in your room - I put Maeve in one of the guest rooms, and Andred in another.  I’m not sure where to put Kai or myself unless some of us share rooms.  Should I share with Maeve?”  Erica asked.  She looked tired.

 

Should I?  Why not...  “Unless you plan on sharing with Kai, and having Andred bunk with Maeve, that’s a good idea.”  She laughed as Erica sputtered and blushed furiously.  “Seriously Erica, you’re too easy.   Sleep where you want - its fine with me.  I’d like my bed to myself  - if you’d rather sleep on a couch in the rec room, as far as I know it’s pretty comfy.  Suit yourself kiddo.”

 

“Alright then... I’ll figure it out.”  Erica was still blushing madly when she led Christine into the main bedroom, and told her Maeve was in the bath.  “I think Sir Andred is bathing at the moment too.  I’m not sure where Kai is.  I’m going to sit down and finish my pop.”

 

“Sure, Erica.  Have you thought of when you’re going to call your sister and tell her what’s up?  I was thinking, she knows a lot of good lawyers - she might be able to get you legal ID - say you went and got a sex change operation or something and claim you’re really Eric.”

 

“Who in their right mind would believe that?”  Erica laughed.  “Seriously.”

 

“Seriously?”  Christine said.  “Everyone.  You lived on the street for three years.  No one knows what you look like except Angie and I.  If we vouch for you, who’s to say were lying?   Frankly, do you think anyone anywhere would believe the truth?   I don’t - so why not go with the story that people will believe and will actually help you have a life here - assuming you want one.”

 

“I... I never thought of it that way.  I’d always assumed I’d be a non-person.  Maybe I could get ID.  Damn... that really opens up a can of worms, though.”  Erica said.  “I’d just assumed I’d need a fake ID or something - not have a legit one in my own name.  I’ll think on it and tell you in the morning, okay?”

 

“Sure.”  Christine walked over to the bathroom door, and gave it a rap.  “You going to be long in there, Maeve.”   There was no answer.   “Maeve?”   Damn - did she fall asleep?  She opened the door - and Maeve was asleep in the warm bathwater.  “I’d better wake her.  Mind if I go next Erica?”

 

“Nope - I need time to think anyway.”

 

“Okay.  I’ll find you when it’s your turn.”  Christine said as she turned to wake up Maeve.

 

Erica turned and left the bedroom, and headed down stairs.  From the look of the bedroom doors, Sir Andred was done his bath and was either changing or napping - so Kai must be in the bathroom now, she thought.  Cool.   Erica went to the basement and moved to the rec room in the dim half-light.  There were basement windows that let in enough light to see - but not enough light to really brighten the place up.   She flopped down on a soft leather couch to sleep.  Wow, this is soft, she thought.  Now what?

 

I’ve wanted to get home for some time - more to get Christine home than anything else - but is this where I belong?  I don’t know.  I need more time to figure it out, I think - but I’m going to have to decide pretty soon...  Angie’s going to freak out when she finds out about me.   Before Erica could think of much more to mull and brood over, she fell into a light sleep.

 

*           *           *

 

“Hey, sleepyhead.”  Christine said, gently shaking Erica awake.  “Time to get up, kiddo - you need a shower or a bath, bad.”  Christine was freshly cleaned, with washed hair and clean clothes from her closet.

 

“Hrng?  Sorry I guess I fell asleep.”  Erica said, groaning herself awake.  “Is everyone waiting on me?”

 

“Yeah - pretty much.  Sir Andred, Kai and Maeve are having a short nap - and I thought you’d want a chance to get cleaned up before we ordered dinner.  I’m thinking chicken or pizza?”

 

“I vote both.  Get some KFC and some pizza from the place you like best.”  Erica said.  “We might need to get more beer if they don’t start drinking water, though.”

 

“I’ll talk to them when they wake up.  I thought we might use the privacy to chat a bit when you’re done your shower.  You’ve been avoiding a lot and we need to talk tonight, before you call your sister, okay?”

 

“Okay, Christine.  Let me get clean first and I’ll get on that.”  Erica said.

 

“For reals this time - no I’ll talk about it later stuff?”  Christine obviously wasn’t taking no for an answer this time.

 

“For reals.  I promise.”

 

“Fine - go get cleaned up.  I’ll take care of the laundry.”

 

“Oh crap - sorry!”  Erica said, apologetically.

 

“Don’t worry about it - just get clean, please.”

 

Erica didn’t say another word - she just nodded and went upstairs to the master bedroom, and into the bathroom to strip.  The clothes didn’t exactly cake off - but they were a bit damp and dirty.  The different standard of what clean enough was on Mercia was obviously very different from normal life - and she hadn’t had much experience with normal life, living on the street for so long as she did.  In some ways I’m too sheltered to deal with some aspects of what people call normal life.  Strange.           

 

As the last of the underthings came off, Erica tossed them outside the bathroom and shut the door - and saw herself for the first time naked in front of the mirror...  She’d only seen herself once before, at Marias house in front of a full length mirror.  This seemed different – she’d put on some weight in the last week or two - or was it some muscle?  She couldn’t tell - but she looked less emaciated, and more like just skinny.   Of course, it didn’t help that she wasn’t exactly a twig - her hips and chest more than defined her profile, and it took several long minutes of staring for Erica to realize ‘yes - that’s you dummy.’

 

Shaking herself free of her reverie, she hopped into the shower and turned it on, feeling the warm water wash all over her, wetting her hair and running down her back.  It was the first time she’d bathed in any way other than a sponge bath since arriving on Mercia six weeks ago.  It felt like heaven - and she moaned a bit in pleasure - startling herself at how she sounded.  I’d better not keep doing that, or Christine will think something else is going on in here other than a shower!  Erica thought, blushing.  But then again, why shouldn’t there?  It’s my body.  

 

Funny, she thought.  In the close quarters of Kais cabin, or the Priory, I didn’t really feel I had the privacy to explore - but I know I do here.  Weird.   Maybe it’s being home that’s doing it?   Erica washed her hair, finding it difficult to work out some of the snarls and get it clean - long hair was obviously took lot of   dedication and effort to keep in good shape - but gods did it feel good to use shampoo that smelled nice and didn’t smell - or sting - like lye soap.  Heaven!   Soon she was cleaning with a scented body wash and the water around her ankles was brown from the dirt she was washing off.   She scrubbed herself clean, then did it one more time just in case, and then just stood in the shower, letting the water wash all over her. 

 

Almost unconsciously, she rubbed her hands up and down her sides, still slick with some soap.  It felt smooth and sexy and Erica started to feel warm and tingly, even more so when she cupped her breasts, and massaged them for a moment.  This feels really, really different...  I kinda like it!   Eventually she moved her hands down to between her legs - and nearly got a shock when she touched herself... it was far more sensitive than she expected, but still very different from what she was used to.   Erica probed a bit with a finger, gasping as her explorations started to send sensations shed never experienced before to her stunned and surprised brain...  She kept going, moving her fingers, trying to find something... the feeling of pleasure grew and grew... and then it happened.  It felt like a building wave - slow at first, then gaining in power - and then sweeping away everything in its path as it swept down on her.  Erica gasped in shock as she felt fluid from inside her on her hands, and nearly slipped and fell from surprise, only barely managing to keep her feet.   Oh My Gods!  She thought.  I think I came... that was amazing!  Wow...  She drifted a moment, letting the glow slowly fade, until she realized she was probably holding everyone up.   She turned off the water, and hopped out to dry off. 

 

Thank goddess for hairdryers!   She grabbed Christine’s model - one of the high powered ones they use at salons - and got to work, borrowing one of Christine’s brushes.   Twenty minutes later, her hair was pretty good, and she finished drying off... to find blood running down her leg onto the floor.  Fucking Hell... Really?  Now?  Argh.  First female orgasm and first period within a half-hour of each other.   She grabbed a pad from under the sink, and took it to put in her underwear when she got dressed, and cleaned herself up.  Yuck - the blood stinks too.  Even better.  Blech.  I guess it means I’m healthy though...  Erica wasn’t sure that was a plus at the moment, but it might explain why she’d felt off for part of the day.   She left the bathroom to find the clothes Christine had bought her on the edge of the bed, so she grabbed some underwear and put in a pad and got dressed.  Most of the clothes were no big deal, but the bra took some doing and was uncomfortable, so she put it away and put on one of the comfort bras instead.   A few minutes later, she emerged from the bedroom, to hear Christine puttering in the kitchen. 

 

She wanted to talk in private.  I suppose I should oblige.  Here goes.   Erica headed downstairs.

 

2