Chapter 7 – Investigations
123 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kai woke first, to feel Erica still snuggled close to him.  He looked down on her sleeping face, and smiled – she lay there next to him, mouth open and snoring slightly, her long red hair spread over her face and in her mouth. Hardly what most people would think of a living saint, he thought. Should I be doing this?  He asked himself.  Do I have the right?  She’s holy by the way our people measure such things – and I’m so far from holy I shouldn’t even be near her – and yet I think I love her – and she has feelings for me as well, I am sure of it.  If she was from Mercia, her future would be spelled out for her – a high place in the church, cared for and protected for the rest of her life.  Rank and wealth would be her due – she would eventually be one of the leaders of our country.  There would be ways she would be expected to act – things she would be expected to accept as given... and I somehow suspect she will ignore all that and do as she wishes, regardless of what the clerics back home wish her to do.

 

            Kai smiled at the sleeping form of his lady-love.  You do have a mind of your own, my Erica.  You’re independent and strong – but there’s so much you don’t know about my home, my world.   There’s so much you don’t know about me, and I you – and I just hope you don’t regret your decision to come back with me when all this is over.  It would kill me to see you so sad, to regret coming with me, and never be able to see your family again.

 

            Erica shifted, snoring a bit and dislodging the hair from her mouth and face.   She looks so damn beautiful, Kai thought.  I’d do anything she asked, just because it was her doing the asking.  I feel like I’m caught in a tempest when I’m with her – and only when we’re together, do I feel the stress and confusion subside.   I’m amazed she chose to be with me – and humbled.   I swear to the Ladies of Mercy and Isundal, her mate that if she would have me, Erica, I would make her my wife – and be damned what the clerics back home say about it.  Kai watched her a moment more, and bent over, gently kissing her forehead.

 

            Erica stirred...  “Good morning, handsome.”  She said softly, smiling as she blinked the sleep out of her eyes.  “Blech – all this hair in my face.”  She brushed the errant hairs out of her mouth and eyes, and smirked wryly.  “This didn’t happen when my hair was shorter.”  She said, laughing.  “Should I keep it this length, or get it cut, Kai?”

 

            Kai smiled back.  “I like it long on you Erica, but if you want to cut it a bit shorter, I wouldn’t be upset.  It must be a handful, being so long.  Most women back home don’t wear it as long as you have it.”

 

            “Probably comes from being unconscious for several years and no one spending a few coppers for a haircut for a dreamer.  Makes sense, I suppose – it’s not like she was going to worry about it before I woke up as her, was she?”   Erica stretched, yawning.  “What time is it, Kai?”

 

            “I don’t know what your clocks say – eight something I think – but I would say it’s an hour or two after dawn.” 

 

            Erica looked over at the alarm clock, and agreed.  “Looks about right.”  She said.  “I suppose we should get ready to go.  Get dressed and all that.”   She didn’t look too thrilled with that idea.

 

            Kai could understand – he’d love to be able to crawl back under the covers and cuddle with the wonderful woman next to him, but Erica was right – they did need to go.  If they succeeded, they would have all the time in the world to get to know each other – and if they failed, it wouldn’t matter anyway.   “We need to get ready.  For all we know we may already be too late.”

 

            “Yeah, I know.”  Erica said, sounding exasperated.  “This saving two worlds at once is for the birds you know – we barely stopped this guy last time; I’m not keen on one of us getting firebolted in the face again when we face Vargas again.  It didn’t work so well for some of us last time.”

 

            Kai remembered.  The fire bolt was coming straight for him – as hot as the surface of the sun, liquid plasma that would have incinerated him on the spot – when Erica, back when she was still Eric, leapt in front of the bolt meant to take his life, and gave his life to save Kai’s.  Only the intercession of Kai’s goddess saved Eric’s life – and put him in the body she currently resided in – the body of the dreamer he was linked to for most of his life.   Seeing Eric dying like that, in pain, with Kai feeling so damn helpless was a feeling Kai would never forget as long as he lived.   The fear, the terror – the helplessness as someone you didn’t realize you cared for was leaving you forever, and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it.  He had never before felt so damn weak and useless.  

 

            “It won’t happen that way again.”  He said, with some surety.  “He doesn’t have Mistress Awai – Sir Andred saw to that.  And we’ve all learned a few things from the times we’ve tussled – including that weird magic ray you shot at Hierarch Blaine.   He won’t be expecting that, I bet.”

 

            “Maybe,” Erica said.  “But Maeve said that spell was way too strong for me – every time I’ve cast it, I’ve been kissed by the void pretty bad – and without healers to fix me up that know about magical damage, I might do more hurt to myself than he would.  I think I need to find another way to deal with him, if I have time to train while we travel.”

 

            Kai nodded.  “If you say so.  I don’t know a tenth of what Maeve knows of magic – if she thinks it’s too dangerous, you’d better lay off until you know more.”  Kai had seen the damage some sorcerers caused themselves by drawing too much energy – and it wasn’t pretty.  He definitely didn’t want Erica to suffer what they had.

 

            The two of them turned as there was a knock on the door... “Hey, you two.”  Maeve whispered.  “Christine and I are up and we’re heading downstairs for breakfast.  We heard you talking, so it’s time to get going.”

 

            “Okay.”  Kai called.  “We’ll be down in a moment.”

 

“Sure.  See you soon.”  Maeve answered, and headed off to the stairs.  Kai and Erica could hear Christine following Maeve, sounding a bit like a Zombie in search of brains – but was more likely Christine in search of strong hot coffee.

 

            “We’d better get going.”  Erica said, reaching for her clothes.  “And I need to read that file too,” she said, looking at the file Harlan Branscombe had given her last night.  “That’s been put on the back-burner for far too long as it is.”

 

            “I understand, Erica.”  Kai said, reaching for his own clothes’.  “We’ll deal with them before we return home, never fear.”

 

            “I know, Kai.  I know.”  Erica smiled at her boyfriend, and started to dress.  All was right with the world.

 

*           *           *

 

            Christine finally reached the kitchen, to see Maeve greet Sir Andred, and go sit together, talking quietly.   She moaned again, and got a kettle of water on for tea – Sir Andred and Maeve favored that to coffee – and turned on her coffee maker for herself.  As the rich coffee aroma wafted through the air, Christine started to rouse herself.  I never am right until I get my coffee in the morning, she thought.  I wonder how I survived for nearly two months on Mercia without it.  Tea’s okay – but it’s not java, that’s for sure.  “I’ve got to go check some stuff, guys.”  She said.  “I’ll be back in a minute.”

 

            She headed to the front door, and looked out at her driveway.  Yup – Harlan left a car for them – probably loaded with weapons and gear too.  I’ll check the mailbox.  Christine opened her front door, and nestled in between the thick wooden door and her screen door was a sealed package labeled “Erica and Christine.”   She picked it up – it was fairly hefty!  Probably their identity papers and all that jazz, she thought.  “Cool.”  

 

            By the time she returned to the kitchen, the tea water was almost boiled, and the coffee was ready to pour, so Christine set down the package and poured a coffee for herself, and added milk and sugar.  “Tea will be ready soon.”  She said to the others.

 

            “Great!”  Sir Andred said.  “Is there any help you need to get ready?”

 

            “Not really – You guys are the ones who are on a schedule.  I’m probably out of a job – and even if I’m not, it’ll be days before this all gets sorted out anyway.  Once you’ve all headed out to catch and destroy Vargas, I’ll get the house cleaned and tidied, and start putting my life back together.  If it’s any help, I’ll probably have to deal with the police while you’re gone, and probably have to try and mislead them to keep them from following you and getting in your way.”

 

            “And we thank you for it,” Maeve said.  “But try not to put yourself at too much risk.  You’re not built for it – and I don’t mean that badly.  Some people aren’t used to trouble.”

 

            Christine snorted.  She calls what we went through in Mercia ‘trouble’.  Ha!  She’s right – if that was ‘trouble’, I’d hate to see what ‘danger’ was!  “You’re right there, Maeve.  I can do without un-necessary danger as well.”

 

            Christine had only half-finished her coffee and was getting tea-bags out for Sir Andred and Maeve when Erica and Kai came downstairs and entered the kitchen.  They looked happy – something she wasn’t used to seeing on Erica, until Mercia.  Eric, as a young man had been very unhappy, very dour – and rarely if ever smiled.  Now, if Erica could smile any wider, her face would split in two.  It was nice.   Now if only I can find someone that makes me that happy, she thought.  Someone from my world, without magic, and who is completely normal. That would be would be great. With my luck, he’d probably be already taken, or gay.  She smirked a bit.  It would fit my luck recently, she thought.

 

            “What’s the plan?”  Christine asked out loud.  “Where are you guys headed?”

 

            “I think we’ll go to U of T to see one of the professors and talk to one of the professors if we can,” Erica said.  “And failing that, we’ll go to the Royal Ontario Museum and talk to a curator.   I assume we’ll have some appointments in that bundle on the counter?”  

 

            “I dunno – I haven’t opened it yet.”  Christine said.  “Not until I’m done my coffee.”

 

            “Hehe.  I understand, totally.”  Erica laughed.  She went over to the coffee pot and poured herself a cup.  “You want one, Kai?”

 

            “Sure.”  Kai answered.  He drank tea mostly, but was learning to like this ‘coffee’ of Earth’s.  It made him feel more alert and aware, and it tasted pleasantly bitter and rich – very different from tea in some ways.  He particularly liked its aroma – it just smelled nice and satisfying in a way he couldn’t put into words.  He liked it a lot.   We should bring some of this home with us, he thought.  It wouldn’t last forever, but a bit would be nice.

 

            While sipping on her coffee, she laughed at herself a bit.  How did I used to order this stuff?  ‘black – no poison’?  Wow – I must really have sounded like a nut job.  I’m so glad I didn’t have real schizophrenia.  The demons are bad enough – but at least they aren’t bothering me anymore – real schizophrenia would be a never-ending hell.  Erica thought back to an old novella by a science fiction writer called Alfred E. Bester, and one of her favorite stories he wrote – “Hell is forever.”  She remembered reading that, and not being able to sleep without screaming for over two weeks.  Norm and Dave had had to buy her wake-ups and coffee to keep from sleeping for over five days before he could sleep without freaking out again...  As she thought of her old friends, her street family, a tear gathered on her cheek.  I’ll avenge you guys... she thought.  I promise. 

 

            She took a cup of coffee over to Kai, and handed it to him.  He added milk and sugar, like Christine did, and started drinking – and soon all of them were absorbed in finding food and finishing their morning repast before starting the business of the day.  Maeve broke out the cold chicken and leftover pizza – and Erica remembered her little science experiment.

 

            “Hey guys!”  She asked.  “Remember I said I wanted to save some of the pizza for science?”  The others nodded their assent.  “Well, it’s because I figure that cold pizza is one of the best breakfast foods ever.  I didn’t expect us to have pizza two nights in a row – so we have a lot more than I thought.   I’d like you all to try a piece or two cold, and tell me if you like it this way, as opposed to eating it hot.  I love it cold too, so I was just wondering.”

 

            Maeve took a bite of a slice – double pepperoni and bacon with extra cheese and pineapple.  It was sweet, chewy – and the sauce tasted nice cold.  The cheese was chewy – and it had an altogether different taste than it had the night before.  Not bad, not great – but definitely tasty.  Maeve thought she preferred it warm – and from the look on Kai’s face he did as well – but Sir Andred seemed to relish it cold.  The older knight gladly helped himself to several more pieces, while she and Kai took one more piece and some extra chicken.

 

            “It’s not bad – but I think I like it better warm.”  Maeve said.

 

            “Me as well.”  Kai said.  “This chicken is excellent cold, though.”

 

            “Yeah – the leftovers are sometimes the best parts about chicken and pizza.”  Erica laughed.  “I guess without refrigerators, leftovers go bad pretty quickly back in Mercia.”

 

            “Yes, they do.”  Kai said.  “But we do have some refrigeration.  A few people in Wethom have ice houses where they store winter ice and sell it year round to cool people’s root cellars and such.  It’s not like what you have here, but it is something.”

 

            Oddly enough, Erica didn’t feel like sharing in the cold pizza, even though she had expected to.  Instead, she grabbed some cereal and a bowl, and some soy milk from Christine’s fridge.  “Soy milk?”  She asked Christine.

 

            “Yeah…  Is there a problem?”  Christine answered a little defensively.

 

            “Nope – just wondering.  Lactose problems?”   Erica asked.

 

            “Pretty much.”  Christine nodded.  Real milk gave her gas something awful – and the soy milk was close enough her coffee didn’t know the difference.  “Will that be fine for your cereal?”

 

            “Sure.”  Erica said, grabbing a seat at the table and pouring herself some cereal.  The cereal du jour seemed to be the kind with tiny charm shaped marshmallows, coated in sugar.  Erica dug in with gusto – obviously pleased to eat something she hadn’t had in some time.

 

            “Ummm.”  Maeve began.  “What kind of beast does soy milk come from?”

 

            Christine groaned.  Here we go, she thought, and sighed.  “It doesn’t, Maeve.  It comes from soybeans.  They’re vegetables.  They get squeezed in a press and this milk comes out.”

 

            “So this is bean juice?”  Maeve asked.  “Does your world not have cows and goats?”

 

            “Yes, we have cows and goats,” Christine said.  “Some people prefer this stuff or almond milk instead of milk from animals – for health reasons and some have religious reasons.”

 

            Kai smiled.  “Why call it milk then?  Bean juice sounds appealing.  It’s a bit deceptive to call it milk, isn’t it?”

 

            God help me, they’re tag-teaming me.  And I think they’re doing it on purpose…  Christine screwed her face up in frustration.  You know what?  Not today.  “Erica – could you please deal with this?  I don’t have the patience today.”  She probably will, too – she somehow always has the patience to tell them stuff from Earth.  I know I sure don’t. 

 

            “Sure, Christine.”  Erica said smirking.  “Besides, I think they were trying to get you going with this one.”   She looked at her two friends.  “C’mon – spill.  Were you trying to get her goat?  Or are you both serious about this?”

 

            Maeve tried to keep a straight face, as did Kai, but she couldn’t.  She started smirking – followed soon after by Kai.  “Sorry Christine.”  She said.  “We know this annoys you a bit, but we might never see you again.  We wanted it to feel a bit like old times, before we say goodbye.”

 

            “Yeah.”  Kai said, smiling.  “Sorry if we annoyed you.” 

 

            Christine looked at the two of them – both smiling, both aggravating – and both trying to be her friend and find a way to say goodbye.  “I suppose I can forgive you.”  She said, smiling a bit.  “Just lay off until I finish my second coffee, okay?”

 

            The two of them nodded, and everyone got back to the business of finishing breakfast.  Soon, the food was cleared and Erica was gathering up the two envelopes waiting for her – the file from Harlan and the package Christine had found this morning.  

 

I’ve got some serious reading to do, it seems.  Erica thought.  “Kai, could you pack my stuff upstairs when we’re done eating – I’ve got a ton of stuff to read and see what Harlan sent us.”

 

            “Sure thing, Erica.”  Kai said.  “I take it we’ll be leaving soon after you finish reading that stuff and know where our first appointment is going to be?”

 

            “Pretty much.”  Erica answered.  “And since I’m the only one amongst us who’ll be able to drive, we’ll probably be a little limited in how far we can drive per day, assuming we have to chase Vargas cross-country.   I doubt he’ll be obliging enough to stay within the city limits.”

 

            “I doubt it too,” Maeve said.  “He’ll probably try to find the best spot to find and resurrect Tiamat that he can, and start whatever ritual he needs to do to summon her to life.  If he actually gets that far, I think we’re screwed – Vargas we can deal with; a full blow goddess, there’s no way in the seven hells.”

 

            “Isn’t that nine hells?”  Christine asked curiously. 

 

            “Well, I don’t know how many your world has, Christine.”  Maeve said, “But in Mercia there are seven hells, each with different reasons for existing, and different forms of evil that exist there.  I assume your nine hells are similar?”

 

            Christine smirked.  “I’m not exactly sure – although I’m sure I should know.  I can remember a few of them – there’s the first circle of hell, for virtuous pagans who haven’t heard of god, and there’s the ninth hell, which is reserved for oath-breakers and traitors – but I can’t remember the rest... There is one dedicated to lawyers and false priests, though.”

 

            Kai laughed.  “That’s comforting, actually.  At least Vargas will have company when we send him there.”

 

            “Indeed.”  Sir Andred said, grimly.  “He won’t escape us again if I can help it.”

 

            The others agreed, and helped clear the table for Christine and Erica, then headed upstairs to pack what belongings they had.

 

            Erica grabbed the two bundles, and cleared a space on the table to read.  The first was Harlan’s package for today – it was very thorough!   Erica saw an ID for herself as Erica van Helstrome – which was kind of cool, if a bit strange, complete with a passport and a drivers license and all the other stuff included – health card, credit cards, bank cards, and so on.  Someone had even put in a coffee card for McDonalds, with three holes punched.   Wow.   There was also ID for Kai (who was listed as Kai Rodin, from Belleville), Maeve Varda (from Kingston) and Sir Andred (as Andrew Duchesne, from Petawawa).   Erica had no idea how much scrutiny the ID’s could stand up to – hers was probably the best, and her friends greatly less so.  Let’s hope we don’t have to put it too hard to the test, she thought. 

 

            Digging deeper into the envelope, Erica found two sets of car keys – the main plus a spare, no doubt – and a CAA and AAA Membership for her and her car.  Harlan had arranged to get them a GMC Yukon XL SUV for their driving needs – and if Harlan was correct, it was lightly armored with bulletproof glass and plating.  Wow... Erica thought.  He got us a tank.  Neat.  Probably guzzles gas, though.

 

            The last few things in the envelope was a bundle of crisp $100 bills – about $10,000 in total, and a collection of phone numbers – the private investigators, lawyers, and other people he had arranged for them to be able to call upon if needed.  They looked to be in good shape.  Once we know where he’s going, this should be close to a piece of cake to find him...  Stopping him will be a bit different I’ll bet, but with all this help, if we can’t find Vargas, we probably don’t deserve to.

 

            Erica put away the first package and turned towards the file with the information on the gang that killed her best friends.   It seemed the Deadpool was a small gang – maybe 16 members or so – which had a gang clubhouse in the Dundas and Yonge area.  The file showed names, home addresses of their relatives and girlfriends, the cars they drove and a number of other pertinent useful facts.  Geez, Erica thought.  Harlan does good work.  He even has the ones he thinks were involved in the murders tagged with markers in the file – so I suppose the ones without tags get to live, and the others not so much.   Makes everything a lot easier...  It even has a bunch of their hangouts and favorite bars listed.  Finding these assholes is going to be a piece of cake – I guess it’ll be getting the right eight of them in one place at the same time that’s going to be hard.  Crap – this is going to get a bit messy, isn’t it?  Maybe Maeve will know how to make it work better?   Harlan probably would, but I definitely trust Maeve more, even if she doesn’t know Earth – she knows criminals, and that should be enough to get these guys.

 

            She filed the names in her memory, so that she wouldn’t forget. James Bradfield, Shu Cormack, Denny Nichols, and Mike Mallory.  They’re the ringleaders – the guys who make the decisions.   They’re probably the ones who started picking on the homeless, and who picked the targets.  When it’s time, we’ll start with them - I think I owe ‘Mick’ a kick or two if I remember the beating they gave me well enough...

 

            Erica gathered up the files and notes – she had seen enough.   Their first appointment was with the Anthropological Department at U of T at 11am with Professor Joyce Collins – and if that didn’t pan out, they had one at the ROM for 1pm with a Doctor Kurt Wellesley – a museum curator and historian.  We’d better get going, she thought.  Traffic alone will mean we’ll be lucky if we get there on time.

 

            By the time Erica got her notes and the package from Harlan gathered, the others had arrived in the front hall with their bags and backpacks.  Kai had a bit of a peculiar expression on his face, and was carrying both his and Erica’s pack, while Sir Andred had his pack plus the clothes Christine had bought him, as did Maeve, who was fumbling a bit with the leather purse Christine had bought her a few days ago. 

 

            “We ready to go?” Erica asked.

 

            “Aye, anytime.” Sir Andred said, smiling.  “I’m eager to be on the trail of that villain at last.”

 

            “Yeah.  Times a wasting.”  Maeve said, grinning.  “Let’s be off before something sidetracks us.” 

 

            Christine arrived at the front door, with a digital camera in hand.  “Not before I get some pictures to remember you guys by!”  She said.  “If I never see you again, I damn well want a picture or two.”

 

            “Pictures?”  Maeve said.  “Another artifice?”

 

            “Yeah,” Erica said laughing.  “She points that thing at you, and a light goes flash – and a while later we can use it to print a portrait of what we were doing when it activated, except without all the posing and waiting for the artist to paint us.  So she’ll have something to remember us by.”

 

            “Pretty much, kiddo.” Christine said, smiling.  “Besides, your sister would kill me if I didn’t try and get at least one picture.”   She moved them all together in a group, and took a picture – and the image looked pretty good.  I can’t believe this is it, she thought as she took picture after picture, first one of each of them, then the friends in pairs – and Erica with Kai as well.  I may never see them again.  A part of her felt glad and ashamed at the same time – ashamed she wasn’t brave enough to go with them, and glad that her part in this tale was very nearly over.  I’ll miss them, she thought, blinking back what might have been a tear or two. 

 

            “You guys better get going,” Christine said.  “I’m not too good with goodbyes.  I’ve got enough pictures, I’m sure.”

 

            “I too, am not good with goodbyes.”  Sir Andred said, clasping her hand.  “Thank you for the hospitality of your home.  You may not be a warrior, but you are a brave woman indeed.”

 

            “Thank you, Sir Andred.”

 

            “Aye, goodbye Christine.” Maeve said.  “I know we got on each other’s nerves a lot, but I suppose it’s better this way for both of us.  Good luck selling the wensin root and ballnuts – I hope you get filthy rich.”

 

            “Thanks, Maeve.  And thanks again for saving our lives.  I was a bit of a bitch at times, but I really do mean it.”   Maeve smiled in acknowledgement, and Christine turned to Kai.

 

            “You know, you should keep practicing with the bow, Christine.  You could be really good with a bit more practice.”  Kai said.

 

            “It was the one thing I did better than Erica.”  Christine said, smiling.  “Maybe I will, Kai.  Thanks.   Take care of Erica for me, will you?”

 

            “It will be my pleasure.”  Kai said, putting his arm around Erica, who looked a bit surprised, and put her arm around him, smiling. 

 

            “I guess this is it, kiddo.” Christine said finally to Erica.  “Goodbye.”

 

            Erica laughed.  “Maybe, Christine.  Maybe it’s just goodbye for now?  We might be back to say goodbye soon enough, so you might see us again – and if you don’t, good luck on your business.  Try to be happy too – find someone who makes you happy.  You deserve it.”

 

            “Thanks Erica.”  Yep, those were definitely tears welling up.  “Good luck, all of you.”

 

            The four friends nodded and gave their thanks, and headed outside to the fancy car Harlan had left for them overnight.  Christine turned, and closed the door.  I can’t bear to see them go, she thought.  I never thought I’d even get to this point – home, and them gone.   I don’t even know what I’m supposed to do anymore now that we aren’t fighting to survive… God, I hope they come through this okay!   Christine heard the car doors slam to the new car in the driveway, and the engine rumble to life.   A few moments later it was gone.

 

*           *           *

 

Outside at the car – a light grey GMC Yukon SUV – Erica opened up the trunk with the key fob, and showed the others how to do so on their own as well.  As the rear hatchback rose up, Erica wasn’t alone in seeing an odd package in the back of the car, wrapped in a blanket.  Kai and Maeve smiled – they must suspect what it is, she thought.  Probably the weapons we asked for. 

 

Erica tossed the blanket aside, and sure enough there were weapons and tools of many kinds; hatchets, machetes, hunting knives, and even a pistol with 3 magazines of ammunition and a bullet-proof vest, along with 4 cell-phones, and four stacks of $1000 Canadian and $1000 US dollars wrapped with rubber bands.  A second bag had a bag of surgical tubing, some medical ointment, a really good first aid kit, and several garbage bags and a box of disposable rubber gloves.  There was also what appeared to be a hand-made sword of European style in the pile or weapons – bigger than Maeve’s shortsword, and smaller than Sir Andred’s broadsword.  Erica didn’t know what to call it, but whatever it was, it was stored in a decent leather sheath.   There was also a note saying “Store this stuff in the hidden compartment.”

 

Hidden compartment?  What the hell?  I guess Harlan does try to think of everything.  The note gave instructions on finding and opening the hidden compartment, so she quickly stowed all the weapons and goods, and handed everyone a stack of cash and a cell phone.  The hidden compartment was in the back, under where the emergency tire was kept.  Cool.  She locked it up and re-concealed the compartment.  “I’ll show everyone how to use those phones as soon as I can – until then, just keep them with you, turned off.  We won’t even use them if we don’t have to – the cops can track you if they’re on.”

 

“Should we even keep them then?”  Maeve asked suspiciously. 

 

“Yeah.”  Erica said, after thinking a moment.  “Until we actually use them, no one will be looking for them, except perhaps Harlan and Angie – and I don’t care if they know where we are.  If I can’t trust my own sister, I can’t trust anyone.  They should be safe.”

 

“Fair enough.”  Maeve looked a bit unsure, but satisfied enough with Erica’s answer to not press the question.  “Now what?”

 

“Now we go find Mrs. Joyce Collins and find out where we need to be to stop Tiamat from coming back.  Everybody pick a seat and get in.  We’re already running late.”  Erica waited until they found where they were planning on sitting, and climbed in.  A few moments to adjust the seats and mirrors, and she was ready to go.

 

“Here we go, everyone.  Hold on – the traffic might be a bit scary.”

 

Maeve, Kai and Andred gulped and nodded, but they were slowly getting used to car rides.  “Maybe take it slow, if you can?”  Sir Andred said.  “I’m not a young man anymore, lass.”

 

“I would if I could, Sir Andred – but this is Toronto.  If I take it too slow, we’ll be arrested for holding up traffic.  I’ll do my best.”  Erica threw the car into gear.  “Here we go!” 

 

With that, they headed off into the streets of Toronto to find the information they so desperately needed – and which Vargas probably already had.

 

*           *           *

 

The traffic amazingly wasn’t horrible – but it wasn’t great either, and by the time Erica drove the SUV up into the quiet parking lot of the downtown campus of University of Toronto, the others were glad to get out of the car and stretch, and feel solid ground beneath their feet again.  It was already 10:40am when they arrived, so Erica rushed to try and find Professor Collin’s office – but fortunately, Harlan’s people had included a map with a highlighted path from the parking lot to her office – which was a great help. 

 

Thank goddess for that map, Erica thought.  This place is so huge, it’s like a maze.  We’d have never found her office in time.  She led her friends through quad and office, heading towards the Professor’s office – and eventually found it in a large building that from the outside, looked pretty non-descript.  It wasn’t that the building was bland or boring – it was actually quite old and crafted in an interesting artistic style…  Rather it was just that it was very hard to tell what purpose the building had been turned to, from its exterior.  It could have been offices, classrooms, lecture halls – or a mix of all three.  

 

They walked inside, and found the correct office, and went in to a waiting room to wait their turn.  Two students were also waiting in the room, one listening to an I-pod, the other reading what looked like lecture notes.  A secretary was typing on a computer terminal across the room, and looking nervously at her clock.  The secretary was a woman in her mid forties, with dishwater blonde hair and a rather charming smile that was currently couched in what appeared to be worry or concern.

 

Maeve simply took silent note of the secretary’s expression.  She was obviously worried about something, and whatever it was, it didn’t bode well.  Erica motioned the group of them to sit, so she and the others sat down.

 

“Excuse me, miss?”  Erica asked the secretary.  “Is Mrs. Collins in today?  We have an appointment at 11am.”

 

The secretary stopped typing and nodded. “Your name please? Your Student ID as well.”

 

“Oh – I’m not a student.  I’m consulting with her about some information.  I believe you were contacted by my sisters’ corporation, Helstrome on Bay?”  Erica smirked a bit as she saw the recognition of her father’s company – now Angie’s company – register with the woman. 

 

“I’m sorry, ma’am.  Of course.  Mrs. Collins is a little bit late this morning.  Would you mind waiting?”

 

“Not at all.  Thank you.”  Erica sighed.  At least we aren’t the ones who’re late, she thought.  She sat down with her friends to wait.

 

The two students looked at the time, and started to act more than a little impatient.  The young woman with the i-pod went over to the secretary and started asking if the secretary could mark down that she had been there – apparently she had been waiting over an hour, and had to return to classes.  The other student – the young man reading lecture notes came over and did the same.

 

Maeve tapped the others to get their attention.  “This is odd, don’t you think?  One of the two people your sister thinks can find what we need is late.  Considering what your sister probably offered to pay her, isn’t that odd?  Teachers back home can’t often afford to throw away chances at free money.  Is it the same here?”

 

“Usually.”  Erica agreed.  “Most teachers don’t make huge amounts of money.  I’ll go check with her.”   Erica returned to the secretary’s desk, the students having since gone. 

 

“Excuse me, ma’am.  Will Mrs. Collins be arriving today?  We really do need to see her.”  Erica tried to make herself look a little impatient, but not too impatient, and it seemed to work. 

 

“Just let me call her cell, okay?  She hasn’t answered my texts.”

 

Erica nodded, and the secretary called Mrs. Collins number… it rang, and soon the secretary was talking and leaving a message for Mrs. Collins to please call her – her 11am was waiting. 

 

“I’m sorry ma’am – she’s not answering her phone.  I’m a little worried, frankly – this isn’t like her at all to be late.”  The secretary – Sally – said.  “She had a lunch meeting with someone yesterday, and I haven’t heard from her since.”

 

“Thanks.  I guess we’ll wait a bit longer then.  Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome,” Sally said, looking relieved.  She was obviously glad Erica wasn’t going to pitch a fit over this.

 

Erica returned to her friends.  “No luck – she’s not answering her phone and hasn’t been seen since a lunch appointment yesterday.”

 

Maeve nodded.  “Who was the appointment with?” 

 

Erica blushed, embarrassed by her mistake in not asking.  “I didn’t ask, sorry.  I don’t think she’d tell me anyway.  Privacy and all that.”

 

Maeve grinned.  “She’ll tell me.”  She rose and walked over to the secretary, and chatted a few moments – and returned looking grim.  “We need to go.”

 

Erica looked like she was going to argue, but something in Maeve’s eyes said not to.  She was a spy after all – she knew how to investigate, at least back on Mercia.  “Okay,” she said.  “Let’s go back to the car.”   The four of them left the office, after Erica asked Sally to have Mrs. Collins phone her if she arrived, giving her one of the cell numbers of the four phones from Harlan.

 

“Mrs. Collins won’t be joining us now, or ever.”  Maeve said as they walked back to the car.  “If she’s not dead it’ll be a miracle.”

 

“Why?  What happened?”  Erica asked.

 

“Her lunch appointment yesterday?  It was with Vargas Elm and three other men.”

 

“Damn.  He’s ahead of us, as we suspected.”  Sir Andred grumbled.  “If we fall too far behind…”

 

“I know, Sir Andred,”  Erica said.  “Next stop the ROM, I guess.  Let’s hope the curator my sister selected isn’t dead too.”

 

“Yeah.” Maeve said, not looking too hopeful.  “We can hope.”

 

*           *           *

 

Detective Inspector Marcus Drake was having a really crappy Monday morning… it had been six weeks ago that the massacre at the Neilson Clinic had slaughtered over a dozen cops – and when the feds arrived and took over the scene, and claimed it was Al-Qaeda, he felt more than a little that he was being lied to.  I don’t know what the hell happened there, but I don’t think it was terrorists, He thought.  And now, six weeks later, the case is quickly closed by the feds and fifteen other cases have popped up on my desk to be dealt with.  Over worked and underpaid – that’s how it is, isn’t it Marcus?  Typical.

 

Marcus’ mind was wandering as he wrote a report for his superiors – a report on a triple homicide from last May that was finally dealt with.  He couldn’t shake the scene of the institute, nor of Ms. Vallan’s home – the sheer violence and carnage of both scenes.  And she hadn’t been seen since – and neither had Eric van Helstrome.  Where did they go?

 

            He stood and stretched, leaving his office behind for the staff room coffee machine.  Maybe coffee will clear my head?  God knows I could use it.  “Urg. Where the hell is James?”  He half-asked himself.  James Cameron was his aide – nominally a Detective himself, James was being groomed for Marcus’s job when the time came.  He was… quirky, to say the least, but he was damn good at his job – which meant he was just as overworked and underpaid as Marcus, if not moreso. 

 

             Marcus nodded to a few other officers and poured a coffee, adding sugar, no milk.  Sweet and black was the way he enjoyed it.  His ex wife said it was like his heart.  He laughed a bit at the old joke, and sipped the bitter-sweet liquid as he headed back to his office.   He saw the familiar form of his aide James waiting for him inside.  About time, he thought.  James Cameron was a sconch over six feet tall, broadly built like many police officers, and had short-cropped blonde hair.  He was, as far as Marcus knew, single, and a bit of a nerd.  Into computer games and stuff like that.  He was also an aficionado (and sometimes believer) in every known conspiracy theory known to mankind, which was an endless source of entertainment and frustration for Marcus, his boss.

 

            “Hey James.”  He said.  “Where’ve you been?”  

 

            James whirled and smiled – he was hiding something.  “Here and there, boss.  You know.”

 

            Marcus did know.  James had a nose for following leads – it was amazing, actually – and he usually could find pretty much near anyone or anything if left alone long enough to track them down.  Even he wasn’t able to find Eric or Ms. Vallan – and Marcus knew it annoyed his partner and aide to no end.

 

            “I was just finishing up the Cartwright Homicide.  How are you coming on the Hollander case?”

 

            “Not bad – but that’s not what I came to tell you about.”  James said with a smirk.  “You know the massacre?  How Miss Vallan, that social worker that went missing, and Eric, your perp disappeared with a hostage?  We got a hit on the social worker’s credit cards.  Friday at the Eaton’s center, about 4pm or so – finally came through the system today.”

 

            “Damn!  Do you think she could be back?”  Marcus thought quickly.  Either she was back, and trying to resume her normal life – or she was still dead or missing and whoever took her was using her plastic.  Either way, he knew he was going to look into it, feds be damned.

 

            “Don’t know boss, but I figured you’d want to check it out.  Am I right?”  James had the look of

Already knowing what his friend’s answer would be.

 

            “Damn right I do. Anyone called her house yet?” Marcus asked, grabbing his suit jacket and hat.

 

            “Nope – but someone’s staying there at the moment.  We’ve got card hits on Sobeys, and two chicken and pizza deliveries – one each for each of Friday and Saturday.  That’s a lot of food for one woman living alone.”

 

            “Sure is.  I wonder if our missing Eric and his hostage are with her?”

 

            “Dunno, boss.  Wanna find out?”

 

            “Damn right I do.  Let’s go.  You take Simmons and head to the Eaton’s center and pull the security videos – call me if you get anything.  I’ll take Hancock and head to Miss Vallan’s house and we’ll see if it’s her or someone else using her plastic.” 

 

            James nodded, and grabbed his coat too.

 

I hope you have a really good explanation of what the hell was going on when we get there, whoever you are… Thought Marcus.  Finally, some answers!

 

 

2