Chapter 14 – Tiamat Reborn
86 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            Ogden, Vargas thought.  Ogden was where it began in Mercia, and now here on Earth, Ogden is where it will end.  How fitting.  “It appears that this Ogden is quite a bit cleaner than ours, isn’t it Flavius?”

 

            “Yes, Milord.”  Flavius didn’t look like he particularly cared for either town very much – but the bucolic suburbs and green lawns of Ogden on Earth didn’t seem to impress him either.  “Cleaner, and more crowded.”

 

            “True.”  Vargas said.  “How many people are in Odgen, and Salt Lake City, if you had to guess Jeremy?”

 

            “Oh geez…  I guess I’d say close to two hundred thousand people – maybe even a bit more.  Why?”

 

            “Just curious.”  Vargas replied.  “The Ogden we know has perhaps 3000 people at the best of times.  This area is quite a lot larger.”

 

            “I guess.”  Jeremy tried not to ask himself why Vargas cared, but he was getting more than a bit worried.  “We’re here.”  He said.  “Did you want me to drive to the river, where Gaius and Flavius were searching today – or did you want me to find a hotel?”

 

            “The river will do, Jeremy.”  Vargas looked out the window with anticipation…  Soon, Tiamat would rise, and Awai would be returned to him.  The great search was about to come to an end, and Vargas Elm would be its architect.  “Gather everyone up, Jeremy, and tell them to meet me by the lakeshore.”

 

            “You got it, Boss.”  Jeremy got out of the car nervously, and approached the bikers.  Meanwhile, Vargas turned to his two henchmen.  “Gaius, Flavius, I think our use for Mr. Pierce is at an end.  See to it, will you?”

 

            “Yes, master.”  Gaius hissed. 

 

            Vargas got out of the car to follow Jeremy, while Gaius and Flavius played “Boulder, Blanket, Shears” to see who would be the one to ‘deal’ with Jeremy.  Flavius lost, and hissed his disappointment.  “You cheated, Gaius.”

 

            “Of course I did, you fool!  Perhaps if you tried harder to win, you wouldn’t always be third.  Now go deal with the human.”

 

            Flavius hissed in anger, and climbed out of the car with Gaius.  This was all Jeremy’s fault, he thought.  I’ll deal with him quick, once we enter the scrublands near the river, and get back to Vargas’ side. 

 

*           *           *

 

            Jeremy thought the bikers were taking the concept of a walk through a field and into the waterfowl sanctuary pretty well, all things considering.  The dirt road they had followed for about a mile had headed west off the main streets towards the mouth of the river, but it didn’t go all the way to their destination – there was about a half-mile walk through the scrub and brush still to go.  I’ll make a run for it as soon as we find some cover, he thought.  I’ll try anyway.  I’m not going to die without fighting back.

 

            Vargas was giving a speech to the bikers – something about teaching them the secret of his hypnosis – but before he would teach them, he wanted to have all of them baptized in the water of Great Salt Lake.  Some of the bikers were uneasy, but most looked eager to agree – after all, it was just a bit of water, wasn’t it?  Jeremy knew they were getting more than they bargained for – and resolved not to be a part of it.  I could get in my car and get the hell out while he’s talking, couldn’t I?  Just make a run for it?  Why do all the worst plans I ever have start with the words ‘fuck it!’?  “Aww, fuck it!”

 

            Jeremy sidled over to his car – Vargas, Gaius and the bikers were about fifty yards away, still pontificating about his strange magic or mind control or whatever it bloody well was.  “Now’s my chance.  Fuck it, I’m gone.”  He opened the car door, and threw himself into the front seat, slammed the door, and gunned the engine.  Wheels spun and gravel sprayed, and he drove out of there as fast as he could.

 

            Gaius and Vargas looked up to see their erstwhile guide fleeing like all the devils in the seven hells were after him. 

 

            “Leave him.”  Vargas said in Hserinyar.  “Flavius will deal with him, or not.  It does not matter now.  Do you have the chalice?”

 

            “As you wish, Milord.  Yes I do.” 

 

            “Good then.”

 

            Vargas returned his gaze to the assembled biker gang.  “We head west, to the mouth of the river.  Once there, I will show you wonders unseen for many an age.  It will be something you never forget, I assure you.”  Vargas’s sly grin should have been taken as a warning, but the promise of power was too great, just as Vargas planned.  Soon, the group of them had abandoned their vehicles and headed west towards the river.

 

*           *           *

 

            Erica parked about a block from the warehouse Marco and Duri said Vargas had taken over, and they had spent the last few minutes arming themselves with the pistols Marco and his team had provided, as well as donning the Kevlar vests and strapping on some melee weapons, like the hatchets and machete’s Harlan had provided.  Sir Andred took the arming sword provided by Harlan – it was longer than Maeve’s shortsword on Mercia, and smaller than Sir Andred’s broadsword – but he seemed to think it would do the trick.  Kai took a pistol and sniffed in disdain.

 

            “I know it’s not a bow, Kai, but it is a useful weapon.”  Erica said, smiling to conceal her nerves.

 

            “I suppose.  It’s too damn noisy, though.  It roars like a wild bull.  I prefer my arrows – they’re quiet.”  Kai replied.  “Maeve seems to find ‘shotguns’ interesting, though.”

 

            “Aye.”  Maeve agreed.  It seemed to be a larger version of a pistol, like the powder and shot weapons popular in Madragoor were – but it was probably far more advanced, given the way Erica’s pistol could fire more than a dozen times before it needed reloading.  Marco said this one fired five times before needing to be reloaded, Maeve thought, which to Maeve seemed quite an accomplishment.

 

            “Does this have stopping power?”  She asked Duri. 

 

Duri grinned and nodded.  “It’s a 10-gauge pump action shotgun.  It’ll blow a hole through most interior walls and some exterior ones.  Cops sometimes use them to shoot through steel doors, when they have special slugs.  It’ll stop whatever you hit with it.”

 

“Then all we have left to do is pray.”  Sir Andred added.  “We are going into battle with a great evil – I’d like to say some words before we storm the gates of that place.”

 

“Let’s make sure we know they’re here first.”  Maeve said.  “I trust in the powers of the Twins, Sir Andred, but I’m aware many blessings don’t last all day.  Let’s save your strength until we know Vargas is here.  Let me see if my talent can reveal if he is inside, first.”

 

Sir Andred smiled, and nodded assent.  “’Tis the least I can do.  As you will, Maeve.”  It’s good to have armor on again, Andred thought.  I didn’t realize how naked I felt until I donned this strange cloth vest with its metal plates.  Erica assures me it will stop guns, and the plates may stop swords, but it’s still a far cry from my chainmail coat.

 

            Maeve quickly entered her Nairya, and scanned the building with Sight magic, and cursed.  “They’re gone.”  She said, casting about with her senses to try and see exactly where they had gone.

 

            Duri looked at Marco in confusion, and the look on Marco’s face and the others in his team said it all – ‘I have no idea what’s going on.’  Marco approached, and put his hand on Maeve’s shoulder.  “Is everything all right, ma’am?”

 

            Ogden…  They’ve gone to somewhere called Ogden.  Fuck.  Maeve jerked out of her reverie and before thinking about it, grabbed Marco’s hand and twisted it around, nearly breaking it at the elbow.  “Sorry.”  She said.  “Next time, don’t touch me without asking.”

 

            “You got it, lady.”  Fucking psycho, Marco thought.  The money better be worth it. 

 

            “They’ve gone to Odgen – is that somewhere nearby?”  Maeve asked.

 

            The others in Marco’s team rolled their eyes, but Duri nodded.  “It’s about twenty miles north of here.”

 

            “We need to get there, now.” 

 

            “That fine with you, Miss Helstrome?  Your Uncle’s paying the bills.”

 

            “I believe Maeve. We go to Ogden.”

 

            Everyone began to pile into their vehicles, tossing shotguns into their back seats or keeping them in their laps, and everyone kept their Kevlar armor on, and had a pistol at their shoulder or their hip.  It didn’t matter to Marco or Duri or any of the others whether this was a wild goose chase or not – either way, they’d get paid.

 

            Before anyone could get fully into their vehicles, two police cars and two unmarked cars skidded up, blocking off the streets before and after the armed men and women.  Armed police emerged from the cars, yelling for them to put down their weapons, and get on the ground.  Erica groaned in annoyance.  “Maeve – see that guy there, the older one.  Isn’t he the police detective that chased us from the Neilson Clinic all the way to Christine’s house?”

 

            Maeve nodded.  “Sure does look like him.  You know we can’t deal with any more delays, right?”

 

            “I know.”  Erica said.  “Just try to let us get past them without killing any of them.  We’ll sort out what we do about the law when Vargas is dead.”

 

            “Fair enough.”  Maeve climbed out of the car, slowly.  “This won’t take long.  When I raise my hand, look away.”

 

            Erica and the others nodded.

 

*           *           *

 

Marcus and James saw Maeve slowly climb out of her car, and swore.  “She’s gonna get herself killed!”  James said.

 

“I know.”  Marcus replied and got out of his car. 

 

Maeve put her hands up and called out to him as he approached.  “Hi!” 

 

            “Ma’am, get back in your car!”  One of the policemen shouted, until an older man – the one Maeve recognized from the clinic, got out of one of the cars and held the officers arm back a moment. 

 

            “Are you Maeve?”  Marcus called out

 

            “I am.  Who are you?” 

 

            “Detective inspector Marcus Drake.  You left a lot of dead people behind you, ma’am.”

 

            “I didn’t kill any of them.”  She said.  “You bloody well know that, right?”

 

            “No, actually I don’t.”  Marcus said.  “Death seems to follow you around, doesn’t it Maeve?”

 

            “I suppose.”  Maeve replied.  “But it’s Vargas we’re after – he’s the one behind the massacre.  He’s about to do another one, right now, tonight.”

 

            “Jesus Christ!”  Joanne swore as she got on the radio of her car.  “Get me S.W.A.T. right the fuck now.”

 

            “We can’t let you just act like a vigilante, ma’am.  We can’t.  Let us handle it.  Tell us where he is.”

 

            Maeve laughed.  “Handle it?  You’re not even close to being able to handle Vargas.  I’ll show you where he’s going – here, look here!”  Maeve pointed to her left hand, and drawn by her point, Marcus’s gaze and that of the other officers present were drawn there too.  Maeve concentrated, and a silver point of light began to shine there – a mesmerizing, hypnotizing light.  Maeve gasped as she felt the tug of the Call, and the whisper of being Kissed.  This was a spell she didn’t cast often – it was too draining.  It combined the strength of Mind magic with the power of Sight magic, drawing the Police’s gazes to a magical ball of light in her palm.  Its end effect would be to hover there, in the street, and draw all their gazes for the next thirty minutes or so – and at the end of it, they would probably not recall most of this encounter with Maeve and her friends.  Anyone wandering by would be ensorcelled as well, unable to act until the ball of light faded or was dispelled. 

 

            Within seconds, the officers – including Marcus and his partner, and the others in their cars nearby – were incapacitated, and stared at the beautiful shining light.  Maeve gasped as she felt the magic flow through her.  That spell took a lot out of me.  I hope I have enough for later.  Maeve lowered her hand, leaving the ball of hypnotic light hovering in the air, and noticed Marco and his team were all equally mesmerized. Dammit, she thought.  Even a newbie back home would know enough not to look where I pointed.  Duh!  Erica’s people are helpless against magic.  It’s ridiculous.

 

            Erica got out of the car, with a pen in her hand.  “I’ve got an idea!” she said, then rushed over to Detective Inspector Marcus, and wrote with the pen ‘Ogden’ in bold capital letters on the back of his hand. She headed back to the car – by which time, Maeve had released Marco’s team from the call of the spell. 

 

            Erica could tell there was a problem – Marco’s team was half looking at Maeve with wonder, and the other half were crossing themselves against evil.  Shit!  We need them!  She crossed over to the team, and tried to take control.  “Look, guys!  I know this seems pretty crazy right now – but Maeve is on our side, and the cops will be staring at that for quite a while instead of following us… so what do you say we get the hell out of here and go deal with our guy.”

 

            “Ma’am.”  Marco replied.  “This is pretty fucked up, right now.”

 

            “I know.  Would it help if I asked Harlan to pay you more?”  Erica asked.

 

            Marco turned to his team, and the majority of them nodded.  “Fine.”  He said.  “We want ten times our fee.”

 

            “How much is your fee?”  Erika was curious.

 

            “One million dollars.”  Marco replied.

 

            That’s all?  Dad had that as pocket change the way he acted.  “Sure – 10 million sounds fair.”

 

            Marco and the others looked at her, and each other.  “Fine.  We’re with you.”

 

            “Thank the goddess.”  Maeve said.  “Erica! Car! Now!  We can’t drive this thing yet!”

 

            “Keep your panties on!”  Erica called back.  “Seriously, Marco – if you and your team do this, I’ll make sure Harlan takes care of you.  I promise.”

 

            “I understand, ma’am.  We’ll hold you to it.”  Marco said.

 

            “I understand too.  Now clear these cop cars out of the way, and give me direction to Ogden.  We probably don’t have much time.” Erica got the directions, and rushed back to her car, hoping they weren’t too late.

 

*           *           *

           

            Marcus saw Maeve raise her hand – and then everything went blank.  When he came too, the first thing he noticed was a too-bright light, so he closed his eyes, and looked away.  “What the hell…?” he said, trying to figure out what had happened – what kind of trick she was about to pull. 

 

            It didn’t take long to discover the trick, and even Marcus had to admit, it was a pretty good one.  He could see the edges of a glowing ball of light that seemed to call to him, tried to make him want to look at it – so of course, he tried to resist it.  He couldn’t help but see the other four officers, plus his partner James, and his friend Joanne staring at the light helplessly, their arms slack at their sides, and their jaws just as slack.  They didn’t move an inch – just kept staring at the light. Maeve, Erica and the men and women with guns and armor were long gone.  What the fuck is going on? How is this even possible?  Marcus wondered.  He went over to James, and tried to shake him awake, which didn’t work very well until he accidentally stood in-between James and the light, blocking his view. 

 

            “James, snap out of it!”

 

            “Wha… what happened?  Where did they all go?  Why is everyone standing still and staring?”  James looked as confused as Marcus felt.

 

            “I have no idea, James.  Obviously they’re gone – and I think that ball of light has something to do with it.”  Marcus indicated the direction, but didn’t point.  “I don’t know why I came out of its effect early, but when I blocked your field of view, you snapped out of it pretty quick.”

 

            “What the hell is that?  Some sort of device?”  James asked.

 

            “Again, no idea.  Maybe it’s something like those Jedi’s use in those Star War’s movies?”

 

            “I suppose it could be – photokinetics are supposed to be rare, even in conspiracy stories.  It might be something psychic – or maybe something magic, if you believe the story Christine told us.  Probably magic, if it’s anything.  Holy shit!”  James tried not to look at it, but couldn’t help it.  As he stared into the light, he felt his mind go blank.

 

            Marcus rubbed his hand on his chin.  Magic?  Maybe.  If so, we’re entering a world we know nothing about.  “What if it is magic, James?  What do we do?”  There was no answer…  “James?  Oh hell.”

 

            Marcus looked over and saw James standing slack-jawed at the light again – apparently its mind effect didn’t end when you broke free – as long as you could see it, it could affect you.  Marcus went and stood in front of James, like a wall.  James soon broke free.

 

            “Wha… what happened?  Did I get zapped again?”  James asked.

 

            “Yup.  Turn around, so we can’t see it.”  Marcus physically turned James around, so they were both facing the opposite direction.  “I was saying, what if it is magic, James – what do we do?”

 

            “I want to know – and I want to make sure the guy responsible for my brothers’ death goes to fucking jail.  Did you mean what you said, about Maeve maybe killing those people?  I thought we had Vargas for the clinic.”

 

            “Hrm…”  Marcus began.  “As far as I know, Vargas is our guy.  I was trying to tell Maeve we weren’t assuming she was innocent – that’s all.  I still think Vargas is our guy.”  Marcus snarled in anger at the group of them getting away – it pissed him off!  We were so close, and they’re gone!

 

            “Marcus, what’s that writing on your hand?”

 

            Marcus looked down and saw someone had written on the back of his hand in a blue marker.  The letters were shaky, but clearly said ‘Ogden.’  “I think someone is trying to tell us where they went, James.  How long have we been standing around, slack-jawed?”

 

            James checked his watch, and took a guess.  “Maybe ten minutes, give or take?”

 

            “We could go after them, and get our answers – or we could wake up Joanne and deal with that shitstorm.  I say we get in the car and get our asses to Ogden to find out what the hell is really going on.”  Marcus sighed.  “Although if that ball of light is magical, then the rest of Christine’s story is probably true too.  We’re boned, you know that, right?”

 

            “Yup.”  James said, cheerfully.  “But we knew that going in, right?  I say we wake her only, and get going while she cleans up here.  She can call for backup for us.”

 

            “Fine.  They’ve already got ten minutes on us.”  Marcus agreed, and went to wake Joanne.

 

*           *           *

 

Jeremy looked at the rear-view mirror, checking behind him as his car’s wheel sprayed gravel as he pulled out and away from Vargas’s little prayer party.  They’re probably going to end the day with a nice drink of Kool-Aid.  Not for me, thank you!  He turned his eyes back towards the road, and raced down the dirt path, trying to keep the car under control as the sun began to lower on the horizon.  It’d be dark before long, he thought.  Even better; there’s no way they’ll catch me. 

 

Jeremy drove along the dirt path at a reckless speed, struggling to keep the fancy Cadillac SUV on the path – just to put some distance between him and all the craziness that had overtaken his life lately.  Oh my god… maybe it’s over?  Deep inside he felt a feeling slowly replace the dread that had filled most of the last week… Elation.  He giggled to himself, then laughed out loud.  “I did it!  I left that crazy fucker and his alien reptoids behind!  I survived!”

 

Jeremy gave one last look in the rear-view mirror, in order to flip Vargas the bird, and screamed!  In the mirror, in the back seat, was Flavius with a drawn knife!  Jeremy turned the wheel hard to the left, and Flavius was tossed to the right by the centrifugal force, nearly dropping his knife, and bashing his head on the window of the passenger side of the car.

 

“Stupid mammal!”  Flavius screamed.  “Because of you, I will miss the resurrection of my Queen.  I’m going to make you suffer before I skin your filthy carcass!”  Flavius sat up, using the passenger seat as a brace, and tried to knife Jeremy, narrowly missing his face and instead carving a nice gash in the back of the driver’s seat.

 

“Christ!”  Jeremy swore as he swerved this time to the right, trying to knock Flavius off balance.

It worked – this time sending him crashing to the left.  Flavius’s head smashed against the door panel, and Jeremy could almost see the stars spinning around the creatures head.  Flavius dropped the knife this time, and with the violent motion of the car, it slid under the driver’s seat.  In the meanwhile, the SUV rocketed of the rural dirt road and onto the paved roads of Ogden, swerving across both lanes in his battle with Flavius.  Luckily, there was little to no traffic at the moment, or Jeremy’s flight would have been cut short.

 

            Flavius cursed the lack of the knife, and leapt into the front seat, twisting around almost unnaturally to get into the passenger seat.  He was sinuous and deadly – and as he fought with Jeremy, bit by bit his human disguise was slipping, revealing more and more of his Fallen, reptilian features beneath it.

 

            Jeremy was so panicked, he was beyond reason and simply reacting.  He punched Flavius twice, while trying to steer the car, and narrowly missed driving off the road into the ditch beside it, turning from his fight to correct the car.  Flavius didn’t give him the opportunity.

 

            “I’m going to kill you, you weak worm!”  Flavius screamed, launching himself at Jeremy, clawing and biting with his reptilian claws and teeth.  Blood flowed down Jeremy’s shoulder and neck and Jeremy screamed as he felt the teeth and claws of this inhuman creature tear into him. 

 

Fully panicked, Jeremy hit the brakes, hard.  In less than two seconds, a few things happened:  Jeremy skidded out of control into a concrete abutment on the side of the road, sending the car flipping and tumbling like a toy.  Jeremy was thrown hard against his seatbelt, knocking the wind out of him.  Second, Flavius went sailing out and through the passenger window of the fancy SUV, through the air, to land roughly on the ground about 30 feet away, covered in cuts, bruises and broken glass.  And finally, the car flipped, rolling once, twice, and a third time, then skidding down the road on its roof before coming to a stop about 120 feet down the road, the car’s rear end in the ditch.

 

Jeremy woke to realize he was hanging upside down from his car, and the airbags had deployed, probably saving his life.  He could see Flavius lying on the road, starting to stir, and he knew if he couldn’t get away, he was a dead man.  He felt woozy, and could feel blood dripping down his head towards his eyes, but he struggled to reach the seat belt release…  C’mon, Jeremy! He thought. You don’t want to die like this!

 

            Meanwhile, Flavius crawled to his feet, now appearing totally like a monstrous reptile man in human clothing.  He was cut in a half-dozen places, and felt like ribs and maybe other bones were broken.  Jeremy!  He thought.  I’ll gut him, and this’ll be done. 

 

            Flavius pulled his Mercian dart-gun from his belt with his one good hand, and slowly staggered over towards Jeremy, who was frantically trying to escape the damaged car.  He raised the gun and took aim.  “Any last words, human?”

 

            “I fucking hate you!” was all that Jeremy could think to say.  He steeled himself for the end – he didn’t know what that mechanical gun would do to him, but he was sure it wouldn’t be pretty, and would very likely be fatal.

 

            “I hate you too, mammal.”  Flavius, cocking the pistol with his thumb, took aim…

 

*           *           *

 

            Erica was driving as quickly as she could down the roads of Ogden, trying to get to the area closest to where Vargas had gone.  The other cars in their little convoy had split up to search other nearby streets, with Marco and Duri’s car following them.  Maeve was in the passenger seat, using Sight magic to act as ‘scryer and co-pilot’, which was good, because the stupid GPS device couldn’t keep up with the speed Erica was driving and kept having to ‘recalculate’ their route.

 

            As she barreled through the quickly advancing evening, she flicked her low-beams on to see better – and up ahead it looked like there was a car accident – and what was stranger, was that a Fallen was walking across the road to point one of Maeve’s style of dart-pistols at the driver of the wrecked car. 

 

            “Is that who I think it is?”  Maeve asked, readying her shotgun.  “We’ve got one of Vargas’s henchmen ahead.  Stop the car so we can shoot him.”

 

            Erica grinned.  “I’ve got a better idea.  Everyone put on your seat belts.”  Erica knew she didn’t have to really tell them – they had been using them as a matter of course ever since she showed them on television what a high-speed collision looked like and what it did to the occupants of a car.  She rammed her foot down on the accelerator, and drove straight towards the Fallen…

 

            The armored SUV slammed into Flavius’s broken body at over 70 miles per hour.  The impact shook up the SUV and its occupants, but the car hit Flavius, and proceeded onward, before Erica could bring it to a stop about a half-block away.  Flavius, on the other hand, burst and exploded like a nasty pus and blood –filled water balloon.

 

            As Maeve realized Erica’s car came to a stop, she grinned like a maniac.  “That works too!”  Erica’s only response was a grin – and to flick on the windshield wipers to clean off what was left of Flavius.

 

            “I guess he shouldn’t have been playing on the street, huh?”  Erica said, laughing – but a little shaken.

 

            “Guess not.”  Maeve agreed.  “Who’s the guy he was going to shoot?”

 

            “I dunno.”  Erica said.  “We should ask him.”

 

            Everyone piled out of the car, and Marco’s car pulled up behind them.  “What in Christ’s name just happened?”  Marco yelled.  Kai gave Erica a quick hug and went to make sure Flavius was dead, and Sir Andred went with him.

 

            “In a minute!”  Maeve called over.  “Hey, mister.  You still alive in there?”

 

            “Yes!  Please don’t kill me!  I don’t want anything to do with those reptoids!”  Jeremy yelled, panicked at this potential new threat.

 

            “Reptoids?  You knew this guy?”  She asked.

 

            “Yeah – his name was Flavius.  He has a friend named Gaius – and there’s a guy named Vargas with them…”  Jeremy’s panic was trying to consume him – but his memory twigged on something… The border crossing.  “Are you Maeve Varda?”

 

            Maeve started a bit at the sound of her name, and nodded.  “Aye.”

 

            “He seems scared of you.  Please, if you let me go, I’ll tell you exactly where they are.” 

 

            Maeve thought about it a moment.  Really, what’s the harm in letting him go?  He’s probably one of Erica’s people who Vargas roped into being a guide.  I’d better check him to see if Vargas has used magic to screw with his head…

 

            Maeve concentrated, and wormed her way inside Jeremy’s mind.  His mindscape is cluttered, but very strong, she thought.  He lacks focus – but the images and sensations are very strong.  Maeve mused a moment while looking for evidence of Vargas’ tampering, and found none.  I think this man – Jeremy Pierce – has the talent to use magic.  How odd?  I wonder how many people on Erica’s world have the talent, and don’t have the slightest clue?  “You seem normal enough.  Fine – we’ll let you go.”

 

            “Thank you!  Oh god, thank you!”  Jeremy gasped for breath.  “Follow this road right to the end – there’ll be a dirt road.  Follow it, all the way to the end; there you should see about 25 motorcycles all parked in a clump.  If you walk about a half-mile to the west, you’ll find the mouth of the river.  Vargas is there, doing some crazy ritual.  That’s all I know!”

 

            Maeve cursed.  No time left.  “We have to go, now!”  She ran back to the car, and saw Sir Andred and Kai rush back also, tucking something under their jackets.  Erica was talking with Marco, and rushed back to the car as well.

 

            “Drive.”  Maeve said.  “The ritual is happening right now!”

 

            “Gotcha!”  Erica said, trying not to panic.  She gunned the engine and drove down the road, picking up speed as she went, Marco’s car close behind her.  As they drove, one other car from their convoy, radioed by Marco, joined them – the other would probably be close behind.

 

            There’s the dirt road, Erica thought.  I hope we’re in time.  As the wheels left the pavement and hit the dirt road, she felt the steering wheel buck in her hands, and fought to keep the wheels from skewing to one side or another, and as much as she hated it, she had to reduce her speed slightly to keep control of the car.  They raced down the road, no one saying a word.  Sir Andred was pulling something out of his pack, and looked like he was preparing something to be used.  Kai was leaning over Maeve’s shoulder, trying to see the road ahead.

 

            The next few moments passed painfully slowly, but soon Erica could see the motorcycles parked up ahead.  “I’m taking the car off road as far as I can – we need the speed, right?” 

 

            “No!”  Sir Andred said, rather loudly in English.  “We need to prepare first, or we may fall victim to Vargas’ sorcery.  Stop here – it will take but a few minutes for us to run the rest of the way.  This is more Important.”

 

            “Hey!  When did you get a translation Amulet, Sir Andred?”  Erica asked, surprised to hear her friend speaking in English again.

 

            “It would seem Flavius was wearing one when you drove into him.  Kai also found a needler pistol that has seen better days.  I think your car ran over it.”  Sir Andred grinned.  “I do appreciate being able to join the conversation, finally.”

 

            “Cool.”  Erica stopped the car, and pulled the keys out.  “We’re here then, everyone out.  Sir Andred, do what you have to do to prepare us – I’ll talk to Marco and his men.  Maeve, you and Kai figure out our next move, and we’ll be ready.”

 

            Maeve looked like she was going to argue for a moment – and then nodded.  If Erica wanted to be in charge, so be it.  Her plan was a decent enough one as it was, Maeve thought.

 

            Sir Andred set about hastily building a small shrine, and Kai conferred with Maeve. Erica approached Marco and his people.  “Marco, Duri!”  Erica called.  “I need your people over here for a moment.  Grab your armor and weapons, and assemble here!”

 

            Marco and the others took only a moment to gather where Erica indicated.  “What’s up, Ma’am?”

 

            Erica saw Marco’s people were worried, and she knew they had good reason to be.  I have to tell them what we’re facing.  If they go in cold, they’ll panic.  They deserve to know.  She steeled herself, and drew herself up.  You can do this, Erica.  You can.  She began to speak. “I know you all saw some freaky stuff with that ball of light back in Ogden…  We’ll the guy we’re going up against can do stuff like that and worse, like hurling fire. It’s not an illusion – it’s real, and it can kill you!  My friend Sir Andred is going to say a few prayers, which should protect us from whatever Vargas can throw our way – or at least give us a chance to survive it.  If we don’t stop this guy, right here, right now, he’s going to probably do something that has a fifty-fifty chance of ending human life on Earth.  We must not fail!  I know it sounds crazy, but you need to understand how serious this is.  What you’re about to see will make you freak out – maybe keep you from sleeping for weeks - but I need you to keep cool, and help us kill this bastard, to save all of us.  If you’re with me, follow me!”  As her speech ended, she felt energy course through her – but not magic, like she was casting a spell.  It was something else – something she had never felt before.  She couldn’t place it.

 

            The effect on Marco and his people, however, was electrifying.  They had gone from nervous and afraid, to ready to fight and win.  They roared their approval, and followed Erica to where Sir Andred had set up a small shrine.  Sarah called out “I don’t know who you are, lady – but you’ve got balls.  What the hell are we fighting?”

 

            “Monsters.  Sorcerers.”  Erica said.  “Some of which look just like us, like the guy you were looking for.  He’s trying to resurrect a dead goddess and destroy the world.”

 

            “For reals? Christ!  My kids!”  Sarah looked grim, and cocked her shotgun. “Let’s get him!”

 

            Erica turned to Sir Andred, who had since donned a cassock trimmed in crimson and cincture over his Kevlar armor, and draped his shoulders with a stole trimmed in blue.  On his chest was a large pectoral, bearing the golden symbol of the Twins, his divine patrons, featuring a buckler of dark metal surmounted by a golden gauntleted fist.

 

            “There is not much time, so I shall be swift.”  Sir Andred said, raising his hand in benediction.  “In the times before times, Feana and her brother Hathor fought to defend mankind from all manner of evils.  We beseech them here, today, to bear witness to our pledge, and extend that protection also unto us, their servants.  Protect us from foul sorcery, and give our hearts and minds the strength to resist the evil visions that may plague us both during and after this day of strife, and ease the burden of loss within our hearts should the people we care about fall.  Children of Mother Moon and Father Sun, you are our Sword, and our Shield.  You are the stars in the night, our guiding lights and our saviours.  As we follow you, we know in our hearts that you will lead us home, no matter how far we wander.  Amen.”

 

            As Sir Andred finished his prayers, true night fell at last, and the stars above emerged just at that moment.  He smiled, and pointed up.  “The gods look down on us with favor, tonight!  It is a good sign!”  Indeed, everyone present – believer and unbeliever alike, felt some bravery and strength seep into their bones, lending them some strength and confidence that had heretofore been lacking.  It put fire in their bellies, and stiffened their backs.

 

            Kai nodded.  It was a good sign. 

 

            Sir Andred began gathering his things, quickly thrusting them into his pack.  “We’re as ready as we’ll ever be, Maeve.  Where do we go?”

 

            “Erica?  I need you here with me – we’ll be better letting the boys fight and using our talents more creatively.”

 

            “You got it, Maeve.”

 

            “Marco, you and your team focus on taking out the gang that Vargas has gathered – hit them hard, and don’t show any mercy.  They won’t show us any, that’s for sure.  Kai, you and Sir Andred deal with Gaius and Vargas.”

 

            “It will be our pleasure.”  Sir Andred said, drawing the arming sword Harlan had provided. In the last few days in his possession, he’s polished it to a near-mirror sheen, such that it seemed to glow in the dim light.

 

            “Aye.”  Kai said through gritted teeth.  “Gaius and I have unfinished business.”

 

            “Then move!”  Erica said, pointing to the west, and moved to follow Maeve.

 

*           *           *

 

            Vargas could feel the power rising… The chalice had been blessed, and now had baptized all but three of the bikers.  Now, whether they lived or died, their souls were bound to the chalice and this ritual. Their life forces would be sacrificed to resurrect Tiamat at the proper time – and Vargas would be suitable rewarded. Like Jeremy said – win-win.

 

As the last few bikers of the gang slowly walked down to the pool of water in which Vargas stood, he sedately dipped the enchanted chalice into the salt water, and baptized them in the name of Hrask and Tiamat, speaking in Hserinyar, of course.  Like he would dare bring back Hrasks’ mate using the tongue of a lesser species?  Soon the baptism ritual was ended – and he rose up with raised hands. 

 

“Now, as you have waited for, I will show you the meaning of power!”  Vargas exclaimed in English, before starting to intone a spell.  Gaius used the magical staff from the age of legends to draw a circle around the two of them, and in moments a semi-translucent barrier rose to shield them both, leaving the bikers slack jawed and amazed.

 

“Hassakat Kir Volura Kissar!”  Father Serpent, lend me your strength!  “Niss Vurr Alorr Kissar Hashasikt!”  Channel your power into the corpse of your beloved!  “Kar Vass Hisstoor Hashasiktt Tiamat!”  Send life into your once beloved, Tiamat, your mate.   

 

            Before Vargas could intone the final verse, the sounds of gunfire erupted from the night – as eight humans, including the bastard Sir Andred who had murdered his beloved Mistress Awai, emerged from the darkness.  Six of them were using strange firearms so common to this world, while two were obviously Mercians – Sir Andred and Maeve’s pet woodsman, whoever he was.  Maeve wouldn’t be far away – and neither would her apprentice, Erik now Erika, and her unholy greenish light, whatever it was.

 

            “Damn them to the seven hells!  Gaius – deal with them!  I must complete the spell!”  Vargas yelled, as his bikers – no more than cannon fodder, really – were being gunned down one by one.  Vargas couldn’t help but smile at least a little… For each one that died, his spell grew ever stronger; such was the power of the chalice.

 

            “Yes, Milord.”  Gaius grinned in his horrible grimacing way, and dropped his human disguise, panicking the few bikers nearest him.  “Let them come; now is your moment!”  Gaius hissed at the bikers, screaming.  “You want power?  Here it is!  Fight for it, or die!”  He pointed at the men and women with guns – and it didn’t take long for the bikers to figure out what came next.

 

*           *           *

 

            “Hurry!”  Sir Andred whispered.  “They’re over here!  Everyone get ready to attack!”

 

            Vargas was just finishing dipping his chalice into the pool, and blessing everyone present in his unholy sacraments… As he began to speak in the foul language of the Hserinyar, Maeve realized with terror just how close to disaster her day in jail had brought them!  We’re too late!  He’s summoning Tiamat right now!  “Attack!  It’s already begun!”

 

            Erica felt the bottom of her stomach drop out beneath her.  No!  They were too late?  No!  She threw herself into her Nairya, knowing she’d desperately need it in the next few moments.

 

            Marco nodded, and he and his people rushed forward, guns blazing.  Marco’s team walked forward in a line running north to south, towards the lakeshore to the west, firing round after round into the assembled, unaware bikers.  Kai and Sir Andred took a different tack, and rushed into the crowd of people, slashing and hewing through the road warriors to get closer to the reptilian Gaius and Vargas, his master.  People were screaming, and blood sprayed – at first it was chaos, but within a moment, the bikers caught their wits and were fighting back!

 

            The bikers grabbed for pistols, while some grabbed knives and others a shotgun or two, and returned fire.  In the dark, most of their shots went wide, but with the disparity in numbers it was difficult for what remained of the bikers to not hit anyone.  Two of Marco’s men felt themselves get shot, and one went down when his vest didn’t catch the bullet – it punctured his left leg instead – and he dropped to the ground, screaming.

 

            Sir Andred felt a knife and a gunshot hit his vest, but luckily both were absorbed by the Kevlar and its little ceramic plates.  With a swing of his blade, he carved up and through two gang-members, severing one’s arm and giving the other an eviscerating slash across the chest cavity.  It was bloody work – but work that needed done, quickly.  Vargas is right there, he thought.  My duty to the Angel will be complete!  I will not fail again!  Vargas must die!

 

            Kai dodged two men trying to stab him, rolling between and behind them, decapitating one of them with his hatchet as he went.  The other whirled around and tried to stab him with what looked like a machete, and got shot in the back by one of Marco’s people – the woman Sarah!  Kai nodded and gave a little salute of thanks, and turned back to who mattered – Gaius and Vargas.  He could see Vargas plainly, protected by some sort of barrier raised by Gaius.  “Maeve! Erica! You have to drop that shield!”

 

            Maeve looked at the shield, and nodded.  “Erica – this is on you.  I need to keep my wit’s to counterspell anything Gaius or Vargas throws at us – use Binding and take it down.  Until it’s down, our spells and attacks won’t do a damn thing.” 

 

            No pressure, Erica thought.  Just a spell I’ve never tried before.  Gah!  She put her thoughts out of her head, and retreated to the cool silence of the Nairya.  It’s not like you’ve never read a fantasy story before, right?  These shields might have holes you can use to unravel them, or mortar you can pick away to weaken them… Think!   She extended her mage-sight and studied the shield barrier.  It was Forces, for sure – but it wasn’t perfect.  Erica examined it – and saw a spot that looked weak to her sight.

 

            She mustered her strength, and concentrated on the Word of Binding, and began to see the many small and varied threads that made up the weave of the shield of force.  She pushed, once, twice, and felt the shield crack and buckle – but the effort involved made her dizzy and weak, and Erica could tell she pushed past her Threshold more than a little.  It burned inside her – it hurt in her head, as well as body.  It was hard to explain. 

 

            “It’s buckling!”  Maeve screamed.  “Hit him!  Hit him again, Erica!”

 

            Erica prepared to gather her strength for one last push, just as Kai and Sir Andred fought their way to the edge of the barrier. 

 

            “Gaius,” Kai said, readying his hatchet and machete. “I promised to kill you once.”

 

            “And yet I still live, mammal.”  Gaius sneered.  “When our goddess rises, I’ll ask for your woman as my slave.  Maybe I’ll feed her to the fell-drakes?”

 

            “Kai, don’t listen to him.  Let your steel speak for you.”  Sir Andred advised.  “As soon as this shield drops, I swear by all the gods you will both die.”

 

            “Then let’s not waste anymore time, shall we?”  Vargas said.  “Hashasikt Kira! Dolon Vor Kass Histari!  Darjiss, Tiamat, Darjiss. Darjiss!”  Beloved Tiamat, blood has been spilled in your name!  Rise, Tiamat.  Rise!  Vargas’s voice rose to a crescendo, and a pillar of white light shot upwards from his circle, into the heavens, and clouds swirled around the beam.  There was no doubt the beam of energy could be seen for at least a dozen miles or more in any direction.  There was a peal of thunder – and then the beam was gone.  Vargas started to laugh, slowly at first, then quicker, and more maniacally, until he was in full joyous laughter!

 

            Maeve went pale.  No… No!  “Kill him!  Kill him now!  If he dies, the spell dies with him!”

 

            Erica pushed, gathering all the force she could muster, and threw it at the barrier around Gaius and Vargas.  The spell blast left her weak and gasping, and she slumped to the ground, the pain in her head even worse than before… But her unbinding spell had done the trick.  Gaius’s shield exploded in a blast of shiny sparkles of light – and then Kai and Sir Andred were upon them!

 

            Kai moved first, hurling his machete through the air like a knife – Gaius swung the ancient staff he’d used to draw the circle, deflecting it – and Sir Andred slammed the Fallen with his shoulder, charging past him.  Vargas’s laughter ceased, and he raised his hand, his black ring glowing like a dark flame on his hand, flames from his magic swirling around him like a shield. 

 

Sir Andred saw – and swung with all his might.  The sword was lighter than what he was used to – but it was well made, and sharp.  It passed through the fiery barrier with ease, and cut deep into Vargas’ wrist, severing his right hand halfway up to his elbow…  The severed hand with his black ring still upon it was flung away from both of them, to land in the sand and grit and dirt a half-dozen yards away.  The black light winked out – but the energy gathered from the spell didn’t dissipate.  Meanwhile Sir Andred felt his arm sear in the plasma-like flames of the shield Vargas had summoned, burning him deeply.  At first it felt like ice water, rushing over his arm – and then it felt like pain, and then nothing at all.  All Andred could smell was burning pork, and his senseless, incinerated arm dropped the sword that had struck off Vargas’ hand.  He fell to his knees in shock.

 

Vargas raised his other hand to finish Sir Andred – when a blast of silvery light knocked him off his feet and backward into the water of Great Salt Lake.  Maeve stood on a hillock nearby, readying another mind-bolt, and Erica rushed forward to see if there was anything she could do for Sir Andred. 

 

Gaius kicked Kai in the chest knocking him down, and Kai rolled backwards and up to his feet.

 

“Try harder, reptile.”  Kai grunted.

 

“No need, mammal.  You failed.”  Gaius sneered.

 

“Not yet we haven’t.”  Kai rushed forward, knocking the staff backwards with one of his hands, and using the other to try and strike the Fallen sorcerer.  Gaius struggled, and his two handed grip was stronger – he flung Kai off.  Kai fell back, and looked at the staff Gaius deflected his machete with…  and had an idea.

He pulled out the pistol Marco had given him – the one like Erica had had the first time they had met in Mercia, and pointed it at Gaius.  “Is this hard enough?”  he asked. 

 

            “Fuck me.”  Gaius replied.

 

            Kai unloaded the entire clip into the lizard man, bullet after bullet tearing into his body. He kept firing until the magazine was empty, and Gaius’s lifeless body fell to the ground, looking a little like hamburger. What do you know?  Kai thought, looking at the gun.  These things are good for something after all!

 

Maeve charged Vargas, trying to get a better shot at the Hserite priest and sorcerer, sending blast after blast into the water where Vargas had been flung.  Erica dragged Sir Andred into the water to put out the fire on his arm, and the hiss of the water almost drowned out Sir Andred’s scream of pain at the salt water in his wounds.  Suddenly, every single surviving member of the motorcycle gang who had been shooting at Marco and his men, dropped dead, immolated in what appeared to be magical fire. 

 

            Vargas surfaced from the water, dripping blood and moisture, laughing.  “You are too late, Maeve Varda!  I have beaten you!  Tiamat is coming!  My mistress has returned!”  As he said the final words, the waters of Great Salt Lake exploded upwards in a gigantic geyser, at least two hundred feet high and sixty feet wide.  At the same time, a tremor – almost a small earthquake – ripped through the ground, creating rifts and chasms and pit’s everywhere, reshaping the terrain to an almost unrecognizable degree.  The water in the area drained away into the crevasses virtually instantly, and everyone left alive was knocked backwards and away from the divine blast, as another column of energy flared up into the sky, as bright as the sun itself.

 

            Maeve felt herself get thrown back, and slammed down hard – so hard she felt something break, and gasped in pain, nearly blacking out.  Dirt and water and noise was all around her, and she couldn’t feel what was wrong…  Kai was sent flying backwards into one of the pyres made by a burning gang member, and screamed as he was set aflame.  He landed on wet salt, and did his best to put out the flames, before rocks and small boulders from the violent tremor rendered him unconscious.  There was no sign of Erica or Sir Andred, but Marco and the others were knocked off their feet, and stunned by the violence of the tremor and the watery blast. 

 

            My back… My back is broken.  Maeve thought.  I can’t feel my arms and legs.  Oh goddess, preserve us!  I beg you, don’t let us fail!  Maeve looked on helplessly in horror as Vargas approached the great and terrible goddess emerging from the pillar of water.  Dear gods!  We failed!  We failed!  Our worlds are doomed!  Maeve tried to comprehend the utter calamity that had befallen her and her allies – but it was too much.  Despair overwhelmed her, and she blacked out.

 

            The pillar of water fell, revealing the gigantic form of what looked to be a hundred foot tall body of a woman dressed in ancient Sumerian garb.  She wore a necklace of jewels that shone like dark stars, with a violent purple light, and her eyes were pit’s of flame, and carried a sickle that seemed to be made of stars and spun glass.  Her belly had the most awful scars covering it – shadows and remnants of what she’d once birthed.  The peal of dark trumpets rang out, seemingly from nowhere, announcing her coming.  Tiamat, the mother of Dragons had been reborn, in all her dark glory!

 

4