Chapter 18 – Epilogue
167 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erica felt the void around her once more, and like before, the demons kept their distance.  Unlike before, Askeline didn’t seem to feel like talking – and they flew through the void in silence.  The demons of the void watched them, cursing and swearing – but could approach only so far before they were repelled by Askeline’s protective aura.  Suddenly, it was over – and they were back in the mortal world.  

 

            They were standing on a grassy hill, and the sun was shining brightly overhead.  There was the touch of salt in the air, and the cry of sea birds could be heard in the distance.  All around them was a sea of green, grassy hills as far as the eye could see to the north and east, and to the west and south was an imposing wall of mountains, the foothills of which were not too far away.  The sound of many sonorous and high pitched whistles rang through the air, turning the wind into a kaleidoscope of musical sound.  It sounded strange, but beautiful to Erica’s ears.  She took a breath – and could tell instantly, they were back in Mercia.  It just felt like home – it was impossible to explain, but she knew it in her gut. 

 

            “I think we’re back.”  She said.  “Everyone okay?”

 

            The others took stock, and quickly agreed. 

 

            “Askeline?  Are you still here?”  Erica asked – she could feel a presence, but her patron hadn’t made herself visible.

 

            Yes.  There is little time to waste.  The fleet of Hserin is approaching the Gates of Harad.  The armies of Valris and Madragoor will require time to muster…  You must hold as long as you can.  Stop their advance if you can – and if you cannot, slow it as much as you’re able.  If Harad falls, so will all of Valris.

 

              Askeline’s spirit summoned a magical orb, and within that orb, the heroes could see the doom that Hserin had been planning for them approaching – one it may well have been planning for over three thousand years.   Before them, on the other sides of the Gates of Harad, was a fleet like none other – greater than even the Sea Folk could muster.  Three thousand ships, armed with men, siege weapons, and supplies to make war upon the people of Mercia.  Above the fleet were scouts on Felldrakes, riding dragons of a lesser sort, in vast numbers, as well as three immense shadows.

 

            Behind the felldrakes, behind the fleet, flew three immense dragons!  Two of them were greenish-yellow in color, and the other was a deep crimson.  They circled lazily, waiting for the fleet to precede them, completely unworried.  Riding one of them was Vargas Elm, and on another was Mistress Awai.

 

            Sir Andred paled in terror – as did Maeve and Kai and Erica.  “This is a force that hasn’t been seen since the Days of Legend!  How can we stand against these foes?”

 

            I do not know that you can, Sir Andred – I only know that you must.  If you four do not find a way to stop the army’s advance, no one will and all of Valris will burn in dragonfire.  I entrust to you the safety of Valris, Sir Andred – I command you to go forth and rally what troops you can and aid in the defence of Harad.  You can do this… You MUST do this.  Hurry.  The dwarves will soon be closing the gates.  With that, Askeline was gone…

 

            “Dwarves?”  Erica asked.

 

            “Not now, Erica.”  Maeve said, shouldering her pack.  “We’ve got to go.  There isn’t any time to waste.”

 

            Sir Andred steeled himself.  “I swore in our next meeting that either Vargas or I would lie dead.  This is as good a chance as any to prove myself to The Twins.”

 

            “Right… Out of the frying pan, and into the fire.”  Erica said, trying to catch up to the others.  “Why the hell not?  Where are we going?”

 

            Kai spoke up, getting into a pace that could easily eat miles.  “The Gates of Harad, Erica… a Dwarven kingdom that has long since protected the civilized peoples of Mercia from Hserin.  It was said that nothing could breach their enormous gates – but no one has fielded three dragons since The Age of Legends.  This is an army, or fleet, like nothing the world has seen in an age.”

 

            Erica nodded…  So the crap has hit the fan, she thought.  I guess we had better go to work.  I wonder if we’re the ones who should be scared – or they are?  Time will tell, I suppose.  Erica hurried after her friends, wondering what new adventures tomorrow would bring.

 

 

 

THE END

 

Erica and her Friends will return in “Destruction” – Part 3 of Call of the Void.

 

 

 

5