14. The Sky Covered in Arrows
49 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The oppressing aura seeped to every corner of the stadium. Those with lesser cultivation felt ready to kneel down before the great cultivator before them and spit out blood. The sword in Wu Lingtian’s hand, despite not being anything special, glinted wickedly under the hot sun. Even Hu Rongming became intrigued by such an energy in front of him.

He tilted his head. “Little brother, why does it feel like you’re not actually a righteous cultivator? How could your aura be more poisonous than even Fei Lingshi’s?”

“Stop speaking nonsense.”

Wu Lingtian tilted his blade and surged forward. His wrist flicked and the shadow of the sword could barely be seen. Hu Rongming quickly blocked the attack this his silver bow and dug his heel into the ground. Still, despite this, he was forced back close to the edge of the circle.

Wu Lingtian lessened his pressure and kicked Hu Rongming square in the chest before flying back and up one of the suspended platforms.

Hu Rongming held his ground. He let out a bold laugh as he rubbed at his chest. “Little brother, you’re quite ruthless, aren’t you? I can see how so many cultivators are terrified of you now. But not me!”

Hu Rongming drew back the string of his bow as he avoided an aerial attack from Wu Lingtian. The bow, that had only moment before been void of an arrow, shot out something that was gold in color and traveled very fast.

Wu Lingtian flicked his wrist and the arrow crafted from spiritual energy split into two and shattered in thin air.

Hu Rongming’s spiritual weapon was just like this—its sheath was in the form of a ring, chained to a bracelet around his wrist that resembled a silver snake. Once the bow was formed, it would not have any arrows to accompany it. People who didn’t know of ManTian would not think it posed any threat, but it was actually one of the most dangerous weapons that currently existed in the cultivation world. Its existence could not be compared to any other and, as a spiritual weapon, it ranked in the top five just by itself and without its master.

For anyone who enjoyed weapons, just the name “ManTian Fei Jian” would send a thrill through their bodies. This was a weapon that harnessed, but did not drain a cultivator’s spiritual energy in order to fight. The arrows would be crafted using the user’s own spiritual energy. The arrow could end up piercing through mountains or simply just giving its target a harmless tap.

Aside from its power, both women and men appreciated it because of its ever-changing forms—it could be a ring or a bracelet, an anklet or an earring. It was convenient to use and even more convenient to store!

But people cannot be too envious of this convenient, yet powerful spiritual weapon because it had already pledged its allegiance to Hu Rongming. Once Hu Rongming died, as long as Hu Rongming didn’t pass it on to an inheritor, the weapon’s spirit would die alongside him.

Of course, many speculated that Hu Rongming would pass it on to his Head Disciple, Xiao Peiri.

At the moment, ManTian lived up to its name as one of the top five spiritual weapons.

Hu Rongming had released ManTian from his grip, but had inserted plentiful amount of spiritual energy. As Hu Rongming dodged Wu Lingtian’s advances, ManTian worked hard to attack Wu Lingtian from behind. One weapon and one master worked together, completely trapping Wu Lingtian in between them.

This was the disadvantage that Wu Lingtian had mentioned before. Instead of one opponent, he had two. With the master and weapon connected with one heart, they could easily overtake Wu Lingtian. The only way to break this formation was to disable the weapon, thus rendering Hu Rongming without a weapon and taking away the targets on Wu Lingtian’s back.

Wu Lingtian spun and drive his knee into Hu Rongming’s abdomen before flipping and hooking the book with his ankle. He turned with the bow and flung it into the side of the wall, completely nailing it into place.

Hu Rongming looked down. His heel was just the tiniest bit over the painted white marking.

Wu Lingtian flicked his sword back into its sheath and looked up at Su Han.

Su Han looked down at Hu Rongming and lifted his hand. “Fourth Pillar wins.”

The disciples in Screeching Sparrow cheered with delight.

Those in Stygian Dragon hollered and called for a rematch, but Hu Rongming held up his hand. A large smile spread across his face as he approached Wu Lingtian.

“Lord Immortal, you’ve really impressed me,” Hu Rongming casually threw an arm over Wu Lingtian’s shoulder. “But the way you fight is just like a righteous cultivator. What was all that? I’m not bleeding in the slightest!”

Wu Lingtian glanced at the hand that rested on his shoulder. “It was a friendly match. No need to draw blood.”

“Prim and proper,” Hu Rongming scoffed.

“Besides, if I had really gone on offense, I would not have won.”

The two men stared at each other for a moment before Hu Rongming laughed and clapped Wu Lingtian on the back.

Wu Lingtian stumbled forward a few steps but eventually steadied himself.

“I like you! Much better than Fan Yi. Hey, Little Tiantian, how about we go grab a few drinks as our kids play?”

“Sect Leader Hu, do not forget about the payment,” Wu Lingtian helpfully reminded.

“I got it, I got it,” Hu Rongming roughed up Wu Lingtian’s pristine ponytail and wrapped his arm around Wu Lingtian’s shoulders again, steering him out of the stadium.

Su Han watched them at a bit of a loss. They were just ending like that? No rematch? No best out of three?

Su Han’s jaw was gently guided shut. He looked over at Xiao Peiri, who appeared out of nowhere, and his normally gentle expression fell into a scowl.

“Little Fake, just let them go,” Xiao Peiri shrugged. She smiled. “See, isn’t everyone leaving already?”

Su Han gritted his teeth and turned to leave, but was only tugged back by Xiao Peiri to walk together.

“What else do you want, Peiri?” Su Han asked grudgingly.

“Where’s Wen Yi?”

Su Han pushed Xiao Peiri off and glared at her. “Why? What do you want with Wen Yi?”

Xiao Peiri shrugged. “Just wanted to say hi.”

Su Han’s expression hardened. He stopped as the disciples flowed around them in droves. “Wen Yi doesn’t like you.”

“Then what, she likes you?”

“Wh—no! Wen Yi and I are like siblings,” Su Han bit back. He glared at Xiao Peiri. “And I’m warning you—stay away from my little sister.”

Xiao Peiri scoffed. “Does she really not like me or are you pretending to be a big brother to keep her from me?”

“Xiao Peiri, whenever you show up, nothing good happens. Last time in the secret realm and that other time with the Cold Lake—if you know what’s good for you, you better stop bothering our family’s Wen Yi,” Su Han said.

Xiao Peiri tilted her head and stared at Su Han. She smiled. “Then how about you fool around with me.”

Su Han’s face turned red from frustration. He drew out along breath and turned around.

“You know, Little Fake, when you show expression like that, you don’t look half bad,” Xiao Peiri bounced beside him.

“I’m taken.”

“Taken by what? Your hand?”

“Xiao Peiri!” Su Han bit out each syllable of the other’s name.

Su Han was normally composed, just like his master. For at least twelve hours of the day, there must be a smile on Su Han’s gentle face. It was rare for him to get angry and when he did, the disciples knew to avoid this Chief Head Disciple. To most, his appearance was exceedingly terrifying, but to Xiao Peiri, it was only a little comical.

“Oh goodness, the little kitty’s claws are coming out!”

A vein on Su Han’s forehead began to bulge. He pointed a finger at her. “Stay away.”

“What? No! Not until you tell me where Yiyi went,” Xiao Peiri crossed her arms.

“She went out with the Pillars,” Su Han said.

“Where out?”

“Official business. Stop sticking your nose into places where it shouldn’t be,” Su Han scolded.

Xiao Peiri thought about it as she followed Su Han again. “Then, when is she coming back?”

Su Han glanced over at Xiao Peiri.

The three of them had somewhat grown up alongside each other. The unorthodox sects had slowly come together during their time as disciples and Stygian Dragon Sect had the closest relations with Screeching Sparrow. At some point or other, Xiao Peiri had been led off the good path by the head disciple from Nightly Butterflies and now all that came from her mouth were foul words, words of provocation, or yellow jokes. As a child, Xiao Peiri was actually quite obedient—just like now as she patiently waited for Su Han to speak.

Su Han resisted the urge to pat Xiao Peiri’s head, but he actually answered steadily this time.

“Won’t be back for another few days. If you want, you can stay here.”

Xiao Peiri’s eyes lit up. “Really, Han-gege?”

“Don’t call me that.”

“What? Why not? I used to call you that all the time when we were kids,” Xiao Peiri let out a long sigh. “Could it be you don’t want this little sister anymore?”

Su Han ignored her and continued walking.

“You letting me stay is actually a tacit way to give me permission to pursue Wen Yi, right?” Xiao Peiri grinned.

“I said nothing of the sort.”

“You said nothing, but your stone face says a lot,” Xiao Peiri poked his chest where his heart should be. “I just knew your heart was soft.”

Su Han resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Xiao Peiri and Wen Yi were already seventeen and nineteen. What he said wouldn’t even matter to these two who had already traversed through the world once. If Wen Yi really had feelings for Xiao Peiri then they would get together eventually, even if Su Han disapproved.

But, in all honesty, Xiao Peiri was much better than—

“Han-gege?”

“What?”

“Has Wen Yi been…speaking to her?”

Su Han glanced at Xiao Peiri. “Who?”

Her.”

“If you’re talking about Lu Ban, then no one has spoken to her,” Su Han said.

Xiao Peiri’s tense expression relaxed. “That’s good…that’s good…but you haven’t heard anything from her at all?”

“She’s already fallen into the devil’s path. What else is there to hear about?” Su Han asked.

Xiao Peiri slowly closed her mouth.

There was a stark difference from when Su Han was truly irritated and when one was just scratching the surface. Now was not the time to continue to provoke him.

“Mn. That’s true.”

Su Han glanced at Xiao Peiri. “I’ll arrange a room for you to stay in.”

Xiao Peiri smiled and twirled her hair around her finger. “Han-gege is the best.”

“Stop calling me Han-gege.”

“So cruel.”

“I refuse to have a little sister like you.”

Despite this refusal, Su Han still allowed Xiao Peiri to follow him as he busied himself around the sect as usual.

“Han-gege, you sure have a lot to do,” Xiao Peiri mumbled.

“Do you not?”

“Oh, I do,” Xiao Peiri nodded with a bright grin. “But I usually just tail my master. I’m learning from him after all.”

Su Han glanced at Xiao Peiri. In the future, this brat was going to be the sect leader of Stygian Dragon Sect. Even though she had grown a lot, Su Han just couldn’t imagine it. What came from his lips, instead, was a light scoff.

“What? What’s wrong?” Xiao Peiri’s brows immediately furrowed. “I’ll have you know, I’m—”

“Head Martial Sister!”

Xiao Peiri and Su Han stopped walking. They turned and watched a Stygian Dragon Sect disciple stumble to a halt before them. He held out a sword with a letter tightly wrapped on it.

“Th-this—the disciples back at the sect sent it! It was stuck at Screeching Sparrow’s boundaries, so it didn’t get all the way through, but right now we can’t find Master.”

Xiao Peiri took the sword and untied the letter from it. The handwriting was steady, but compared to the usual handwriting from this person, one could tell that they were in a hurry.

“This…” Su Han’s eyes widened.

Xiao Peiri threw the sword back at the disciple and unsheathed her sword. She was just about to fly off when Su Han grabbed onto her.

“Where are you going?”

“Find Master. I have a way to track him.”

“I’ll go with you.”

Xiao Peiri nodded.

Su Han threw a few words back at the flustered Stygian Dragon disciple and shoved his responsibilities onto Liang Jun before swiftly following after Xiao Peiri.

The pair found Hu Rongming and Wu Lingtian at a nearby teahouse. Their appearance startled a few of the patrons, but they did not care. The two disciples quickly rushed over to the elders of their sect and handed over the letter that Xiao Peiri had received.

Hu Rongming quickly scanned its contents and angrily broke the table in half.

Wu Lingtian nimbly saved the tea set from the table and watched as the wood crumbled before him.

“Bunch of cowards!” Hu Rongming growled. “They actually dare attack my territory when I’m away?!”

“This—sir—”

Wu Lingtian held out his hand and reached into his pocket to fish out some. He plopped it into the waiter’s hand before turning to Hu Rongming and Xiao Peiri who had hopped out of the tea house through the window.

Wu Lingtian turned to Su Han. “Do you know where Stygian Dragon Sect is?”

“Yes, Martial Uncle.”

Wu Lingtian leisurely unsheathed his own sword. “Take me there then.”

4