Chapter One-Princess Avelina
4k 9 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many years had passed since the death of the hero, but his unshakable influences remained. The humans who had gained control over most of the land during his leadership had yet to relinquish anything, maintaining a tight grip over most of the known world. The other races dealt small blows to the humans now and then, unfortunately not enough to change anything but enough to keep them on their toes.

In the kingdom of Silverflight, where the late hero descendant lives, was where this story began to unravel.

“Princess.”

“Princess Avelina, wake up.”

“Mm, Mme ten more minutes.”

“Princess Avelina, the sun has risen. It’s nearly time for your training.”

Rolling around in her bed, trying to pry herself from the grip of sleepiness, lay the ninth Princess, Avelina Mortimer of the Silverflight kingdom. She was about 5’6 with light green eyes that held an overwhelming gentlest to them and long overflowing ginger hair that led down to her lovely peach shaped bottom. Except for being a bit lacking in one particular area, accompanied by her creamy white skin, she could be considered a peerless beauty.

“Rolla, please fifteen more minutes. I spent all yesterday catering to those shitty nobles, gosh there should be a limit to how brazen those people are. Constantly trying to curry favor with me, talking up their shitty idiot sons at every event, it’s so damn bothersome.”

“Princess Avelina, you added five more minutes, and you shouldn’t talk like that. You’re a princess, please remember that.”

“Okay, okay, I’m getting up. And Rolla? I told you when it’s just us to call me Ave, okay?”

“Okay, Ave, but still if you don’t hurry, you won’t be able to do that thing today.”

After Rolla uttered those words, the sleepiness that once held a firm grip on Princess Avelina disappeared. Underneath her sheets, she wore a child-like smile that could weaken even the most stoic of hearts.

Underneath her breath, Avelina whispered, “That’s right; today should be one of those days I can sneak in.”

After getting dressed, Princess Avelina and Rolla started heading toward the palace training quarters. Along the way, she heard the voices of two people that she dreaded seeing.

“Sister Avelina, Rolla. How wonderful meeting you here.”

“Hello, Princess Avelina, you’re looking lovely as always.”

Calling out to them was the seventh prince Nicolas. He was a short, round looking man with blonde hair and blue eyes, whose combat abilities were ranked dead last in the family. Standing next to him was the eighth son of Duke Alard Vaughan, Aalot Vaughan. A rather handsome tall man with black hair down to his shoulders, brown eyes, and a very charming smile. If you were only counting his outside appearance, he would be considered quite the catch. But the number of commoner women forcibly ruined by this beast pretending to be a man is uncountable and like Nicolas, his combat ability was also pathetic. These types of individuals could do nothing but drink and play around with women all day; Avelina wanted nothing to do with them. She felt sick just from hearing them call her name, but she still forced a smile and returned the greeting.

“Brother Nicolas, Sir Aalot, good evening. Rolla and I are late for my morning practice, so forgive our rudeness, we’re in a hurry.”

With that being said, Avelina and Rolla started to walk off, but as they began to leave, Aalot stepped in front of the two.

“Princess Avelina, there is no need to hurry. For someone as beautiful as yourself to do something as strenuous as combat training is uncalled-for. Why don’t you learn something more elegant, like poetry or bridal training? Women have no place on the battlefield.”

Hearing that, the forced smile that Avelina had painstakingly put on instantly disappeared, the usually calm demeanor Avelina wore vanished. She was replaced with a woman who although appeared to be was smiling but yet not smiling with her mana leaking out. She gave off the presence of an executioner readying his blade, startling the two. Beside her, you could see the expression of Rolla, who looked as though she was looking at a retard. In this kingdom who hasn’t heard of the temperament of the Ninth Princess Avelina, also called The Coin Princess. During formal events, she was always calm, gentle, and understanding, but she had a line that wise men did not dare cross. But sadly, there was always one fool that would always end up flipping the Coin Princess and suffering by her hands, leaving them with regret and humiliation.

One of the Coin Princess’ biggest irritations was when she met an idiotic male chauvinist who believed that a woman’s place was in the kitchen or bedroom. Thanks to the teachings of her ancestors, absurd values like that ran rampant in the Silverflight Kingdom.

“Sir Aalot, just what are you implying?”

“I..I..was only sa—”

“Sir Aalot, are you an idiot? Have you forgotten that women make up over 35 percent of the army? Have you also forgotten that women tend to have higher mastery over magic? Looks like you are also overlooking the many great feats accomplished by the women in the army. Even recently, I seem to recall my fifth sister having to rush over to save your father’s ass. I guess she has no place on the battlefield also?”

“No, that’s not what I mean—”

“Sir Aalot, were you dropped as a kid?”

“No, I—”

“Ah, I get it! I know what it’s, that must be it.”

“???”

She flashed him a smile, a look of understanding making its way onto her face.

“You have finally caught a brain disease from some whore or poor commoner girl you forced yourself on. No wonder you’re becoming an even bigger moron! Come now Rolla, let’s leave. There is an old saying from my ancestors.”

“Old saying?” asked Rolla, looking a bit puzzled at Avelina.

“Yes; stupidity is contagious.”

Rolla and Avelina hurried off towards the training quarters, leaving Aalot and Nicolas behind. It took a while for them to recover from the shock of Avelina releasing her mana, and it took even longer for Aalot to calm his mind.

“Aalot, I can’t possibly see why you would like that sister of mine.”

“Humph, you’re one to talk, having eyes for a lonely maid and not being able to push her down.”

“BASTARD! You know what happened to the last person who tried to taste that maid of hers. That miserable bastard still cannot get it up. As long as Avelina is by her side, who in their right mind would flip that coin princess?”

“You’re right about that.”

“Anyway, Aalot. I may have a way to get us both what we want.”

“Ooh, tell.”

And with that, the two walked off, discussing Nicolas’ plan.

After finishing her training, Rolla and Avelina rushed off towards the dungeon area. Although it was usually heavily guarded, the security around the dungeon was minimal as the guards needed to secure the castle because of the monthly assembly of the higher ups. This allowed the two to sneak in.

“Rolla, hide near the entrance and alert me if someone comes.” After that, Avelina cast a few spells.

One of her spells made it harder to detect them. Another one made them invisible to anyone below a certain rank and the final one made the ten foot radius around them soundproof.

“Okay, Ave. Have fun.”

“I will and be safe.”

She opened the main door to the dungeon and walked toward an area that was cut off from the rest, only housing one prisoner.

“Hey uncle, are you awake?”

“Ah, little Ave. It’s you. I see you came to visit again.”

Inside the tiny cell was a 6’1 man with purple-blue skin and golden eyes. Although he looked to be around 40, his actual age was near 200. Both his arms and legs were pinned to the wall, only allowing his head to move.

“Yes, Uncle. I brought some food and news to tell.”

Coming closer, she released a high pitch scream.

“Uncle! Where did these wounds come from?”

Looking closely, she realized that he was covered with fresh wounds from head to toe, blood still flowing from most of them.

“Ha-ha-ha, do not worry little Ave. There are some new guards that wanted the chance to meet the great me, ha-ha.”

“But uncle…”

The man with blood flowing from his skin still gave the princess a tender smile.

“Don’t worry, that lot will quit after they have had their fun. I have seen those types of people throughout the many years I have been here.”

The man imprisoned was none other than the person who took the predominant role in slaying the hero—Prince Cain.

Walking closer, Avelina ripped a piece off of some fabric she brought along with her, wetting it to clean the still-warm blood from his face.

“I’m sorry, Uncle Cain. If my rank was high enough, I’d be able to do something about those idiots.”

Looking at the ground, Ave had a look of dissatisfaction.

“Ha-ha, little Ave. You’re able to control earth magic to a frightening degree for your age. Along with your brilliant mind and hard-working attitude, you will make a wonderful leader someday.” he said, giving her a moving smile.

“Uncle, they’re many people with similar abilities throughout Silverflight. Father only cares about military merit, and since I refuse to take part in any senseless killing, I have no way to gain any. The little I have all came from defending small towns, many of them my father couldn't care less about.”

“Little Ave, keep going on at your own pace. Eventually, you will accomplish something that he can’t overlook, mark my words. Now enough of this talk, how have you been Ave?”

Smiling from ear to ear, she told him about her recent achievements. The two carried on for a while, happily discussing many things. Just as Avelina was about to leave, she heard a loud clack and then the prison door flew open.

“Father! How?”

Behind him was a bruised Rolla restrained by Nicolas and Aalot, who both stood firmly beside the king, boasting with an appalling smile.

“See father, it’s like I said. Avelina has been fraternizing with that bastard for years now. Her mind has been poisoned by his foolish talk. That’s why she refuses to attack that sub-human trash.”

Avelina slowly released her mana with her eyes locked on Nicolas, causing him to freeze up.

She shouted, “Shut up, you ungrateful swine! What foolish talk? Is it foolish to believe that every life is precious, that everyone has the right to live happily? That all races are different but equal. Why should I be as close-minded as you? You all are truly the foolish ones.”

Hearing what Avelina had to say, the king could no longer contain his anger. With a roar, he shouted, “Hush! You foolish child! I have put up with your stubbornness for far too long. Someone from the Mortimer bloodline refusing to take an active role in the subjugation of lower species is a shame within itself. But for you to associate yourself with the one who killed King Arnold is infuriating. As a father, I’m disappointed. As a king, furious.”

There was a moment of silence before a burst of laughter was heard.

“Ha-ha little Hildebrand, I see that your stubbornness is still that same after all these years. Why don’t we tell little Ave about how you onc—”

“SILENCE!”

With a roar, King Hildebrand sent an air blast toward Cain, knocking him unconscious.

While he was preparing to send another blast, a loud voice was heard. “Father, that’s enough!”

“CHILD, I TOLD YOU TO HUSH!” King Hildebrand then cast a spell that restricted the sound of Avelina’s voice.

“As the King of Silverflight, I must punish you. Now what type of punishment is the most suited?”

“Father, I know.”

Finally speaking again after being scared stiff by Avelina, Nicolas gave the king his idea. “Father, how about the hero summoning ritual? Enough time has passed so we can use it again. Besides father, Avelina, first brother, second brother, fifth sister, and twelfth sister are the only people who can perform it. And since Avelina refuses to take part in any offensive military operation and chooses only to defend those worthless towns, what greater use could she be used for? Even if she becomes disabled, Sir Aalot agreed to wed her.”

The king put his hand on his chin and thought deeply before answering.

“The first half sound reasonable, but she is still a Mortimer. Even if she did become disabled, marrying rubbish is unacceptable.”

Those words caused a dark expression to appear on Aalot’s face for a moment before it abruptly disappeared. No longer caring about anything that was happening, many ideas began to form in his head.

Seeing his father waver, Nicolas tried to push the objective more.

“Father, even though it’s only a matter of time before we crush those annoying subspecies, some issues have arisen. Recently, the dwarfs have grown bolder with their attacks, and according to reports, the demons are up to something strange as-well. Plus, we still have no idea what those pesky elves might be planning behind that barrier. So it’s best to hurry and end this stalemate before we falter and lose our advantage.”

Deep in thought, the king gazed upon Nicolas before moving his eyesight to Avelina. With a snap of his finger, he removed the spell that had been placed on her.

“Avelina. For failing to uphold the prestigiousness of are royal bloodline, you’re commanded to perform the Hero’s Summoning and you are forbidden to see that wretched creature ever again.”

Staring intensely at her father, she said, “And what if I refuse?”

A solemn look appeared on the king’s face. With a wave of his wrist, a great wind pulled Rolla from the arms of Nicolas and Aalot into his. Snapping his fingers, her clothing was burnt off, damaging no part of her.

“This little maid of yours is truly a marvel. I wonder what the men in the army would think of her. Many of them have never tasted her kind before.”

Seeing her friend in that state and thinking of the cruel world that would await her if she refused, Avelina quickly gave in.

“Fine, all right. I’ll do it, just don’t harm Rolla anymore.”

Satisfied with her answer, the king tossed Rolla towards Avelina. The two quickly embraced each other before falling to their knees and tearing up.

Turning away from his grieving daughter, he said, “Pathetic, I can’t believe someone from the Mortimer bloodline would care for such a thing. You truly share the same worthless blood as your mother.”  He walked out with Nicolas and Aalot trailing behind him.

“Nicolas.”

“Yes, father.”

“Go inform the others that the summoning will take place in three days.”

“Yes, father.”

Without paying attention to Nicolas anymore, the king muttered to himself, “It’s about time we finally end this game of cat and mouse with those subspecies. It’s time to focus on those ungrateful barbarians and those so-called God chosen imbeciles.”

The King stayed deep in thought, thinking about ways to expand his rulership.

54