Chapter 7 – Next Steps
161 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Hortencia wasn’t long in returning, and once she got out of the clothes she’d worn to the job and got into something more comfortable, she rejoined us.  Comfortable for Hortencia in this case meant tight black jeans with knee high black boots decorated with silver skulls, a leather belt studded with skulls and an elaborate skull buckle, a tight black T-shirt decorated with what looked like a cartoon version of the grim reaper, and her trademark pigtails with skull berets.  The whole ensemble was ruined slightly by her topping the outfit with a tool vest, in case she needed to grab something to fix the engine.  Hortencia had the ‘happy goth’ look down to a ‘T’.  Her naturally pale skin accented the outfit perfectly.

 

                “Baba Roga.”  Bear said in greeting.

 

                “Love you too, Bear!”  Hortencia replied.  “How did it go?”

 

                “It went well, honey.”  Drago responded.  “We got the book for Mr. Wesker, but Herc found some more documents.  It seems Lord Daarvin was embezzling money from Ling Standard Products to the tune of two million credits or more, and we have proof of every transaction, their account numbers and when the transactions were made.”

 

                “Wow.”  Hortencia said.  “That’s worth killing for.”

 

                “Da,” said bear.  “We waited for you to take a vote.  We have made good money this trip – mostly due to John and his signing the Hyperion over to us.  We have the book.  I say, get our pay, leave this for someone else.  We are small fish – this is beyond us.  I worry if we try to work this, to get some money out of it, we’ll end up dead.  Is not worth it.”

 

                Hortencia nodded in understanding.  “How much money did we make?”

 

                Bear did some mental calculations.  “80,000 credits for the Hyperion, plus whatever we get for cargo tomorrow, when our friend Rudy sells cargo, plus 10,000 credits for recovering book for Civar Wesker.  When we add that to what we have saved, and pay mortgage on ship, we have 60,000 credits to split, plus value of cargo.  We did okay – and bills paid for next little while.”

 

                “How much is the cargo worth?”  John asked. 

 

                “I’m not sure.  There were some robotics, some pre-fab shelters, and advanced electronics and machine parts.  It will be a good haul, I think, even once we pay Rudy.”  Bear replied.

 

                Hortencia thought about it, and shrugged.  “I’m okay if we skip this one.  No amount of money is worth getting killed over.”

 

                “I disagree.”  Drago replied.  “I think if the price tag is high enough, it might be worth us risking our lives – but lets face it, none of us is going to retire on two million, split four ways.  There just isn’t enough to go around.   How bad would the risk be, Bear?”

 

                “I think Lord Daarvin would pay to assassinate us for stealing documents if he found we had them, and Ling Standard Products might have us killed for trying to blackmail them or sell them their own data back.  Oh – they might thank us too – but I don’t want to risk my life on it.  I think these are big boys of criminal world – and we are out of our league.  Better to leave alone.”

 

                “Understood.  I feel the same way.”  Drago replied.  “What do you think, John?”

 

                John thought about the risk and reward possibilities, and each scenario had a possible payout – but an equally possible violent end.  “First off, I don’t know much about megacorporations, but as far as I can tell they have virtually unlimited power and money.  We do NOT want to screw around with them, I think.  Lord Daarvin lost his stolen manuscript – that’s bad enough – but if he finds out someone is using the documents missing from his safe, he’ll hunt them down and kill them – probably with the money he stole from the megacorporation.  I don’t think there is any reasonable, safe or even sort of safe way to get a payout from this that doesn’t risk one of the crew or all of the crew.  I think we can make better money elsewhere.”

 

                “Really?”  Hortencia asked.

 

                “Yeah.”  John replied.  “I’ve looked over that stellar entrepreneur course, and I think I can use what it teaches to make us a fair bit of “legal” money, trading.  It might take me a month or two to get my feet under me, but I think I can do it.”

 

                Bear looked interested.  “What would you need from us to make it happen?”

 

                “I’d need enough money to buy a cargo hold of cargo – and then we’d need to travel to a good port to sell it.  I can tailor what we carry to where we’re going – but I need to know our budget and our destinations.  I think I can manage the rest.”

 

                The others thought that over a while.  Bear was the first to make a comment.

 

                “It would be good to get shot at less.”

 

                “Yeah – but we might actually get shot at a bit more, too.”  John replied.  “If we start making money instead of just scraping by, we might get seen as having something worth stealing – so if the Fortune’s Favor doesn’t have any guns, we might need to get some as soon as we can afford them.”

 

                Bear nodded.  “Guns were stripped from ship when I retired from Scout Service.  They figure civilian like me does not need guns.”

 

                Drago laughed.  “They don’t know you very well, do they?”

 

                Bear grinned a little ferally.  “No, they don’t.”

 

                “Well, it might be a good idea to have some, to dissuade any potential pirates from trying to seize your ship and cargo.”  John said.

 

                “Good idea.  Go on.”  Bear replied.

 

                “I don’t have the numbers yet, not exactly, but if I can pull off even an average job, I think we can make enough for the mortgage each month without doing crazy illegal stuff.”  John smiled.  “I mean, unless you really want to do it – we can always make an exception for fun.”

 

                Hortencia smiled.  “I like it!  We can pretend to be nice and respectable until *wham* - we show up and take someone’s money.”

 

                “Politely, of course.” Said Drago.

 

                “Da.  We are not barbarians.”  Bear nodded.  “I will make sure you have some money for cargo.”

 

                “Thanks.”   John shook his head.  It’s not exactly how I meant for that to go, but at least they agreed in principle that we could make an honest living.  I never thought of it as camouflage for their criminal activities, but I guess that works too?  “I have one other request.”  John continued.  “I’d like to go to a planet that has good quality biosculpt technology.  I’m not happy with the way I look, and I’ll work better if I feel better about me.”

 

                Drago thought a bit.  “Sounds like we need to head to either Hammermium or towards Edenelt.”

 

                “Edenelt is a bit too close to my home world.  I am not eager to go back.”  Bear replied.  “As long as we turn around, either one works for me.”

 

                “I think Edenelt is pretty.”  Hortencia said.  “I can stock up on my plant supplies there.  It is a pretty garden world.”

 

                “It’s the middle of winter in Hammermium – the temperatures are probably around -30° Celsius.”  Drago added.

 

                “Edenelt it is, then.” Bear replied.  “If I may ask, do you know what you want to look like, John?”

 

                John smiled.  “Yeah, I do.  I made an avatar two days ago before the job – I just haven’t had a chance to show it to Hortencia yet – I promised I’d show her first.  She helped me get set up on the system.”

 

                “It’s done!?”  Hortencia chirped.  “Sweet!  When can I see it – I mean you?”

 

                “Right after we’re done the meeting, if you like, Hortencia.”  John replied.  “I can go load it up.”

 

                “Great!  Hey – I have an idea!  Why don’t you load the Avatar, and meet us in a chat room – we can link up our systems to really see your new avatar.”  Hortencia bubbled with excitement.

 

                “Umm… I have no idea how to do that.  I’ve barely skimmed the surface of the computer’s interface.”  John shrugged.  “I can figure it out – it just might take me a while.”

 

                “I would like to see the new you, John.”  Bear said.  “If you like – otherwise, I can wait.”

 

                “No – if Hortencia doesn’t mind not seeing it first, I’m okay with it.  You guys are going to see it eventually anyway – and maybe this way I can work out any bugs in my appearance before I biosculpt them into permanence.”

 

                “Cool.”  Drago said.  “I’ll go set up my system.  I’ll make a chatroom called FF Crew, okay John?”

 

                “Sure – I’ll look for it on the ships data network.”

 

                “C’mon, John.”  Hortencia said.  “Let’s go get you set up in the sim gear.”

 

                John nodded and followed Hortencia to his cabin, where he opened the door, and the two of them went inside.  He sat at this chair by the vid screen, and opened a drawer with a VR headset and gloves – all wireless in design.  “I assume I just put these on?”  John asked.

 

                “You ready for this, John?”  Hortencia asked.

 

                “I dunno?  It’s just VR isn’t it – a screen projected in front of you?”

 

                “No John – the VR has gotten a lot better in the last several thousand years.  I think you’ll like it.”  Hortencia smiled.  “Try it on.”

 

                John put on the VR gloves first, then placed the VR visor on his brow.  The visor started up automatically – and the words ‘Neurological Interface Initiating’ came up in front of his eyes.  “Uhh…. This thing has a neurological interface?  How real will it feel?”

 

                Hortencia grinned.  “Real, John.  It’ll feel real.”  She activated his terminal, and his avatar program came up.  “Select your avatar, John, and I’ll show you how to log in and log out.”

 

                John, a little unsure of himself, selected his avatar. 

 

                Hortencia then pointed at two icons – both in the left top corner of his field of vision.  “The star symbol is the log in/log out command – just reach up and tap it with your hand when you’re ready.  The cog symbol is for settings.  From there you can outfit your avatar with gear and clothing, change the program to another program, save your progress and so forth.  Other commands will be more obvious in the sims that use them.”

 

                “Seems simple enough.”  John replied.

 

                “Cool – then log it when you’re ready, and join us in the chatroom… maybe after you give your avatar some clothes…” 

 

                Hortencia’s chuckle caused John to blush bright pink… He’d worked hard on the avatar, but he hadn’t given her any clothes.  The last thing I want to do is end up in a chatroom naked.  He thought.  I’d better log in and outfit my avatar with clothes.

 

                John hit the star icon to log in – and suddenly the world dissolved around him into a cascade of light – and he – no SHE – was standing in a featureless grey room in front of a terminal and a full body mirror.  The terminal emerged from the floor – and the mirror hovered and shimmered in mid air.  That wasn’t the problem…  John could see her reflection in the mirror!  Sarah, his avatar, was reflected in the mirror.  When he moved, she moved – and the virtual illusion was so complete, she could feel breasts shift on her chest as she lifted her arms – and feel the cool breeze in the room to cause her skin to prickle and her aureola’s to perk up.  She also felt a noticeable void between her legs when she shifted her stance, and was overjoyed.  To say that was an unfamiliar and disconcerting feeling was an understatement – and yet as soon as it happened, it felt right to John… Or was it Sarah?

 

                This is what I’m going to look like – and feel like soon.  I… I can’t believe it.  If I had these sims back home I never would have left them.  Never.  This feels totally real.  She ran her hands up and down her torso, revelling in the sensuousness of the feelings.  She cupped her breasts, and gave them a squeeze – and shocked herself at the electric feeling that raced through her torso, and wondered at the slow tingling warmth growing between her legs.  Is it possible this can feel *this* real?  Sarah asked herself.  This is too good to be true.  Oh my god!  

 

                She was about to examine herself further, when an icon appeared in the upper right corner of her vision.  ‘Chat request from FF Crew’, it said.  Shit, she thought.  I need to get some clothes, and worry about the rest later.  She tapped the icon, and the screen showed several options.  She hit respond and said “Be right there.”  The response box closed, and she was left to her own devices again.

 

                Realizing she needed clothes, she hit the cog icon and opened the gear and equipment pages – and was appalled to see that there were dozens and dozens of pages of gear, clothing and other accoutrements.  It was going to take as long to outfit her avatar properly – probably as much as it took to create her whole body!   She settled on a blue and white one piece bathing suit as enough for now, in honor of the Hyperion.  She’d sort the rest out later.

 

                “Wow.”  Her voice echoed in the empty virtual room, but Sarah couldn’t get over how different she sounded… it was an attractive contralto – strong, but feminine and sexy as hell.  “Oh my god.”  Sarah couldn’t believe it was her.  She looked in the mirror – and the image that looked back looked very real – like a woman, not a computer generated image, nor a simulacrum.  She looked real.  Sarah felt tears come to her eyes, in happiness.  After all this time, she could see and hear herself for the first time.  Even if it wasn’t real yet, it was a taste of what was to come.  She found she couldn’t wait!    Now I have to show the others, she thought, pausing a moment with a bit of apprehension.  Sarah gritted her teeth, and muttered “Fuck it,” and pushed the ‘join chatroom’ icon.

 

                There was another cascade of blinding light, and then Sarah was in a small bar – standing next to a booth in which sat three other avatars, which he assumed belonged to Bear, Drago and Hortencia.  Hortencia had done him the favour of making her avatar look identical to her normal self, so she was easy to identify – but Drago looked a little different.  He still had his tall build – but jutting out of his back were a pair of reptilian wings, and he had a reptilian tail as well.  “Drago?”  She asked.

 

                “Yup.”  Drago responded.  He sounded similar but different – and she realized he had modded his tongue a little bit too.  It was bifurcated.

 

                “Which means, the last must be Bear.”  Sarah turned to the last avatar, and caught her breath.  Like Bear, the man depicted was unusually large and tall and strong, but he was also unusually handsome, with short black hair, green eyes, and a clean shaven face.  Bear was normally cute – but this was almost movie star material.  She couldn’t help but stare. 

 

                Bear was staring back.  At first he didn’t say anything, and then he smiled.  “You look nice, John.  You remind me of old friend.”

 

                “Uh… thanks Bear.  I think I prefer Sarah like this though.”  Sarah replied.

 

                “Sarah it is.”  Bear’s gaze didn’t waver – and he continued staring at her, a little lost in thought.  He also looked a bit pale, like he’d seen something that bothered him.

 

                “Is everything okay?”  She asked.

 

                “Da.  Is just me.”  Bear replied.  “You look very nice.”

 

                “I know, right?”  Hortencia squealed.  “You look awesome, girl!  Pretty, but not too perfect!  The people who go for perfect always look artificial when they’re done, don’t they Drago?”

 

                “Yeah.”  Drago replied.  “Usually they try to hard and end up gorgeous, but with a hint of uncanny valley.  It’s a hard trap to not fall into.  You did great for your first avatar, Sarah.”

 

                Sarah beamed at the compliment.  “Thanks guys.  So, what do you think?”

 

                “Is that ‘what do we think’ you want us to rate you, or ‘what do you think’ you want us to help fix any problems or potential problems?”  Hortencia asked.

                Sarah blushed.  Neither was quite what she intended from her comment.  “I guess I’m looking for your general impressions – and if there is anything you think I should change last second.”

 

                Hortencia looked carefully, and shook her head.  “Let me ask you something, Sarah.  Did you do you?  Or did you do what you thought you should look like?”

 

                Sarah smiled.  “I did me.” 

 

                “Then I wouldn’t change anything.”  Hortencia replied.  “You look fantastic – and let me say it’ll be nice having another woman on board.”

 

                Sarah smiled again.  “I’m looking forward to being that woman.”  She looked at Drago and Bear.  “Any other comments?”

 

                Drago looked her up and down.  “You kind of going for a sexy girl next door look, with a hint of strength and iron?”

 

                Sarah felt her cheeks pink a bit.  “Yeah, something like that, Drago.”

 

                “Then I wouldn’t change anything either – you nailed it.”

 

                “Bear?”  She asked.  “Would you change anything?”

 

                Bear shook his head, nervously.  “No.  I would not change anything.”  His voice seemed stiff, and Sarah knew something was wrong – but it was clear Bear didn’t want to talk about it.  His eyes had still not moved one inch from her avatar… his eyes were watching her every move, and he looked like a deer in the headlights of a ground car.

 

                “Um… Okay.”  She looked nervous, and didn’t know what to say.  “Something is obviously wrong Bear.  Can you please tell me what it is?”  Sarah looked at him pleadingly.  She didn’t want her new appearance to drive a wedge into the crew and Bear was obviously having problems. 

 

                “You look like Sorcha.”  Bear said quietly.  “You look so much like her.”

 

                “Oh Crap.”  Sarah replied, quietly.  She didn’t know what to say.  “Do you want me to change it?”

 

                Bear shook his head.  “No… it looks right on you.  You should keep it.”  He brushed a tear from his eye.  “Excuse me.”  His avatar disappeared in a shimmer of light, and Bear was gone.

 

                “Who was Sorcha?”  Hortencia asked.

 

                “Bear’s first girlfriend.”  Drago answered.  “I never met her, but she was the love of his life.  She died badly eight years ago, and he hasn’t gotten over it yet.”

 

                “Oh… That’s sad.  I should go talk to him.”  Hortencia suggested.

 

                “I think maybe giving him some space would be better, Hortencia.”  Drago suggested in return.  “He was obviously upset, and you don’t know the whole story.  It wouldn’t help him feel better.  I need to give you the details, hon.”

 

                “Okay, Drago honey.”  She turned to Sarah.  “I hope you don’t change your avatar, Sarah – you look great.  Bear will get over whatever is bothering him, I’m sure.”

 

                “You really think so?”  Sarah asked.

 

                “Yeah.”  She turned to Drago.  “We should log out and have that chat, hon.”

 

                Sarah took that as a hint the show and tell was over.  She reached up and logged out of the chat room.   Back in her room, John took off his virtual reality visor and stripped off his gloved, a few errant tears in his eyes.  I didn’t know, he thought.  I couldn’t know.  He went to sit on his bed, and tried to compose himself.  I hope I haven’t just torpedoed the entire dynamic on this crew with one avatar, he thought, wiping a few tears away.  How the hell could that even happen?  My image of the real me just happens to look like his dead girlfriend?  The universe is laughing at me.  FUCK!

 

                John turned off the computer, and sat down to brood.  “Well that sucked.”

 

 

7