Chapter 9 – Jump Space
158 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Sarah spent the next three or four hours going over her course material, studying interstellar trade.  The Fortune’s Favor had lifted off from Traltha about three hours ago, and as far as Sarah could tell, they were cruising towards the outer system before they could Jump.  He had asked Bear about it – apparently being too close to a large gravity well – like a sun or a planet – was a major problem, and to avoid the risk of a misjump, ships had to get a good distance away any given large mass before they could jump safely.  What this meant in real life was that ships jumped into a system usually in the outer reaches, and had a long journey into the inner system if they wanted to refuel and trade – and ships jumping out of a system had an equally long journey towards the outer reaches before they could reach a useable Jump point.   The problem was Pirates could calculate the best possible Jump points as well, and sometimes they would like in wait for cargo ships – especially unarmed ones like the Fortune’s Favor – to wander by as prey.

 

                Sarah, however wasn’t too worried.  As far as she could tell, the Fortune’s Favor was seen to be ‘down on its luck’ and not worth the hassle at the moment.  I hope that’s not true six months from now, Sarah thought, but right now it seems to be.  After a while, Sarah realized her head was pounding, so she closed her books, and headed to the common room to look for the headache meds Bear had claimed were there.  When she arrived, Drago was sitting on the couch, playing with Herc.  She couldn’t see Hortencia, but since Drago looked in a good mood, she figured nothing bad had happened between them. 

 

                “Hey Drago!  Hey Herc!”

 

                “Cooo!”  Herc replied, looking up from his wrestling match with Drago.

 

                “Hey, John.”

 

                “It’s Sarah, okay Drago?”  Sarah replied.

 

                “No worries, Sarah.  Sorry.”  Drago looked a little embarrassed.  “I didn’t know if you were waiting for the biosculpt for the name change.”

 

                “I was thinking of it, but in the end I thought it would be best to get used to it now.  It does feel weird, being called Sarah when looking like this, but it helps too.  It’s hard to explain.”

 

                “Hey, all that matters is that you’re happy when you look in the mirror.”  Drago replied, smiling. 

 

                “Thanks.  Where’s Hortencia.”  Sarah asked.

 

                “She’s in Hydroponics doing some gardening. She got a bit upset when I told her what happened to Bear’s girlfriend and now she’s afraid he feels about her the way he feels about the things that hunt on Walpurgisnacht on Burston.  She’s worried they can’t be friends.  I told her she’s being silly – that Bear already knows she’s odd, but she decided that she needed some time alone to think it over.  I think she’ll be fine in the end.”

 

                “Ah.  I was getting a headache from all the studying I was doing.  Where are the painkillers?”

 

                “In the cupboard above the stove, behind some spices.”  Drago replied.

 

                Sarah looked, and found them.  “Great!  Thanks!”  She opened the package and took a few of the pills, and then grabbed a drink to wash them down with.  They didn’t take long to start working, either!   “Having fun with Herc?”

 

                “Oh yeah!  Me and the little guy hang out all the time, don’t we buddy?” 

 

                “Cooo!”  Herc replied, licking Drago, then nipping him on the tip of his nose.

 

                “Enough of that, pal.”  Drago scolded.  Herc didn’t look too defeated as he teleported away and crooned at his friend.

 

                Sarah watched the two gambol and play, and smiled.  It seemed like everyone here was a normal person – flawed, trying hard to survive, with their own strengths and weaknesses.  Sure Drago and his pals might be criminals, but they seemed to be honestly good people simply trying to make their way.  Sarah couldn’t fault them for that, and it was nice to see Drago play with Herc.  He looked like he would be really good with kids too, one day.  I wonder if Hortencia sees that in him?  She thought to herself.

 

                “Do you think she’d want some company?  Hortencia I mean.”  Sarah asked.

 

                “To be honest, Sarah, I would just give her time.  Besides, Hydroponics is somewhere we usually stay out of due to her special plants.  It’s safer that way, and it’s kind of her private place.”  Drago replied.

 

                “Okay.  I just thought I’d ask.”  Sarah put the rest of the medicine back, when the lights on the ship dimmed. 

 

                “What’s going on, Drago?  Are we losing power?”  She asked.

 

                Drago shook his head.  “No.  It’s an old tradition from pre-Imperial days.  Jump Drives used to take so much energy that you had to dim the lights and cut all non essential systems to activate the Jump Drive.  Now it’s a tradition to dim the lights before a ship goes into Jump – like a reminder of the past.”

 

                “Cool.  So we’re about to jump?”

 

                “Yeah.  If you feel ill, there should be some anti nauseants in your bedside dresser.  We’ve all used them at one time or another.”

 

                Bear’s voice came over the intercom.  “We are preparing for Jump to Edenelt in 3 minutes.”

 

                “I’m going to head to the bridge to watch!”  Sarah remarked.

 

                “Have fun.  I’ve seen it a million times.  I’m going to play with Herc.”  Drago waved goodbye and kept chasing Herc around, which made Herc immensely happy as they ran about – Herc always keeping just a bit ahead.

 

                As Sarah reached the Bridge, she could see Bear working at a console – probably finalizing the jump coordinates.  “Can I watch?”

 

                “Da.”  Bear said.  “Just don’t touch any of the controls.  Your first jump I guess, eh?  It is always special one.”

 

                “I hope so.  Does it look flashy?” 

 

                “Yes and no.  It looks flashy for the few moments it takes to go into Jump or out of Jump – but the time spent in Jump looks boring and bland.  We will be in grey sphere around ship, protected from jumpspace by forcefield the engines make to keep ship from being torn apart.  Jumpspace is not very safe for ships or people, unless you are protected.”

 

                Sarah nodded, and sat quietly.  The controls Bear was manipulating were fairly high-tech, but not incomprehensible to Sarah, and she thought she recognized many of the settings.  You know, once I learn astrogation for Jump Travel, I think I could pilot this ship.  It’s not too different in controls from the Hyperion, except for the Jump Drive.  It might take some time to get used to the gravitic drives, rather than rocket boosters and thrusters, but the learning curve doesn’t look too steep.

 

                Bear turned to Sarah.  “It is time.  Watch out window.”   Bear entered the Jump command, and suddenly the vast starscape outside the ship seemed to blur, and streak towards the window of the Fortune’s Favor at high speeds, leaving white and red streaks as the tiny ship rushed towards the blurred stars…  In a flash, it was over – and now, all Sarah could see was a dimly lit, neutral gray bubble, hovering about 3 meters away from the ship in every dimension.

 

                “What happens if something were to leave the ship now, Bear.”  She asked.

 

                “It would be disintegrated.”  Bear replied.  “Only safety is within the bubble around the ship.  Sometimes with misjumps, Bubble doesn’t form properly and the entire ship is not protected.  Othertimes, bubble fails to form and ship and crew instantly die.  Like I said, misjumps are bad.  The best ones leave you alive, but very far from your intended destination.”

 

                Sarah nodded.  “Thanks for letting me see us go into Jump, Bear.”

 

                “No problem, Sarah.”  He said.  “Ship is now on autopilot for about a week.  Now we have time to relax.”

 

                “What are you going to do?”  She asked.

 

                “I am going to get some food, and maybe relax with a sim.  Did you want to join me?”

 

                “Sure – if that’s what you want.”  To be honest, Sarah wasn’t sure Bear was able to put his reaction so easily behind him from earlier, but in the end, she decided the more he was around the virtual Sarah, the less he would be uncomfortable around the real Sarah when she got back from Biosculpt.

 

                “Good.  I will meet you in dining room.”  Bear got up, and headed to the common room to grab some dinner.

 

 

*              *              *

 

                Sarah hadn’t minded her dinner – the food on the Fortune’s Favor was pretty darn good, even if she didn’t know what half of it was or what it tasted like.  Dinner that night had been Shrrk – which tasted a lot like Terran prime rib steaks, in a nice brown gravy with some baked sort-of-potatoes.  She had to admit, it didn’t taste half bad, and if she was being honest with herself, maybe a little bit better than Terran beef and potatoes.  The pre-prepared dinners that Hortencia had loaded the ship up with were really, really good.

 

                “Nothing like a good steak,” She muttered as she booted up her vid screen and VR system.  “That was damn good.”  

 

                As the VR system booted, Sarah wondered what kind of sim would capture Bear’s imagination.  Did he do fantasy games, or action thrillers?  Romances or mysteries?  Probably not romances, she thought.  Not with all the baggage he’s carrying over Sorcha.  I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.  Sarah started humming while she set up the VR – she often did that when she was having a good day, and although today had had a few down moments, it had in the end turned into a good day.

 

                As she prepared the VR system, Sarah found herself anticipating the feeling of being a woman again.  I think I was right, she thought.  This VR stuff could be incredibly addictive if I’m not careful – or if I couldn’t get biosculpt.  Wow.  She put on the VR gloves, and then the headset, and logged in to the waiting room.  Once more there was a cascade of light – and she was back in the grey featureless room that seemed to be the VR programs waiting room.

 

                Once again she felt difference between her old male body and the virtual female body she arrived in.  It felt different, but right – and she once again realized that if Biosculpt wasn’t a thing, she’d probably stay in VR all the time.  In a way, it felt like going back would be losing something she desperately needed.  She didn’t want to think about it, or the warning Mr. Hsien gave her about 0.1 percent of people being resistant to Biosculpt.  Worry about that another day, she thought.

 

                Sarah didn’t feel like sitting around waiting, so she started browsing clothing and accoutrement options for her avatar, so that she had a few more outfit options than “bathing suit”.  A short while later, Bear’s game invite came through – something called Sky Pirates of Aundair.  It sounds different, she thought, and hit accept – and was again hit by the familiar cascade of lights.  When she could see again, she was standing in a small wooden cabin, on what seemed to be a moving ship.  She could see a large four poster bed, and dressers and a small table with two chairs, a few large trunks, and some unlit lamps.  It looked like a cabin in an age of sail wooden tallship.

 

                There was a knock at the door, and she could hear Bear talking.  “Are you decent?”  he asked.

 

                “Yeah.  I’m just trying to figure out what to do next.”  Sarah replied.

 

                Bear opened the door, and Sarah once again saw his extremely handsome avatar.  Oh – he wasn’t perfect, but he did look more traditionally handsome than Bear.  Not that Bear wasn’t cute, she thought – but this was a step or two above even that.  Bear was dressed in trousers with buckled shoes, a doublet and a red coat with silver buttons.  A curved sword with a basket hilt was at his hip, and he had a brace of archaic pistols in a bandolier he wore over his shoulder.  His avatar had facial hair – an elaborate mustache with gold beads on it, where Bear was normally clean-shaven; he looked like a pirate from old Terra, which was probably the entire point of the sim. 

 

                “Nice look, Bear.  I think I’m under dressed.”  She said, as Bear’s gaze looked her up and down.   She felt a bit self conscious, but shook it off, but couldn’t help blushing a bit. 

 

                “Da.”  He said, smiling.  “There are clothes in the trunks.  Outfit yourself as you wish, then come up on deck and I will explain game to you.”

 

                “Okay.  Thanks, Bear.  Could I get some privacy?”  She asked.

 

                “Sure.”  Bear replied, and stepped outside the cabin door, closing it behind him.

 

                I guess I had better get some appropriate clothes, Sarah thought, going over to one of the trunks.  The first trunk had expensive and elaborate gowns and dresses – not what she would expect a pirate queen to wear if she was going to fight, so she moved to the next trunk.  “Aha!” Sarah exclaimed, as she found more adventurous garb.  She looked through it, marvelling at the feel of the fabrics and the scent of wood, the scents on the clothes.  It felt almost more real than real did, she thought.  You could get lost in this.  She ignored her misgivings, and dug out what she thought was an appropriate outfit…  Some fancy half-trousers that came down to just below her knees, and some tall leather boots that rose up to her knees to cover her lower legs.  The boots had a heel – about 4cm or so, and had silver buckles and silver studs around the top of the boot.  They looked pretty damn nice.  The rest of the outfit was a silk shirt, topped by a blue silk vest with silver buttons and stitching, and a blue waistcoat that covered the ensemble.  She armed herself with a basket hilted cutlass of elaborate design and workmanship, a brace of throwing knives in her boots, and a two pistols at her side, in leather holsters.  She outfitted herself with a jewelled gold necklace, jewelled earrings, and some gold and silver bangles along with four finger rings.  It had taken a while, but she felt like she looked like a pirate enough to fit with Bear’s character.  Oh – wait!  She thought.  As a final touch, she picked out a fancy blue tricorn hat with a short feather in it.  She took a pouch of gold and silver from the chest and tied it to her belt.  “Now I’m a pirate.”  She said, smirking.

 

                “Bear, if you’re still there, its safe to come inside.”  Sarah called.

 

                “Good.”  Bear said, entering the room – and stopping after two steps to stare at Sarah.  After a moment, he shook his head as if to clear it.  “You picked well, Sarah.  You look perfect.”

 

                “Thanks Bear.  I take it we’re in a pirate sim, right?”

 

                “A fantasy pirate sim.  We are on a Skyship – a ship that flies because of chained elementals that give it lift and movement.  I am the captain, and you are my second.  We are at war with another nation – Kharnath – and are trying to defend our homeland, while gaining in strength and reputation, as well as experience.  It is an action adventure game – but it is possible to get killed in game, which means either we both get killed, and respawn at last save – or survivor goes on without the other.”

 

                “Does getting hurt in the sim hurt in real life?”  Sarah asked.

 

                “It is perceived by our senses as hurtful – so it hurts a lot, but no harm is done to our real bodies.  The worst I have ever had is waking in cold sweat, panicking – but no physical harm was done to me.  The game feels quite real so be careful, okay?”

 

                “Have you ever fought with swords before, Bear?”

 

                “Da, dozens of times.  I have been playing these sims for a long time, and the skill tends to carry over, although not at the same level.  I am not bad shot with archaic pistols, either.”  Bear replied.

 

                “So I need to learn how to sword fight to play these sims?”  Sarah asked.

 

                “If you want to be really good, then yes.”  Bear replied.  “But we are just exploring sim right now – you can take tutorials later if you wish.  Or I can teach you,”  He said.  “I am pretty good swordsman, so I think I might do better than tutorial.”

 

                Sarah grinned.  “Thanks Bear.”

 

                “No worries, Sarah.”      

 

                “Can I ask you a question, Bear – about Sorcha?”  Sarah asked quietly.

 

                “Da.” Bear replied.  “Go ahead.”

 

                “How close do I look to her appearance?”  She asked, worried what Bear would say.

 

                Bear thought a moment.  “You look very close – very similar to her.  Her face was fuller – and she was shorter by a few centimetres.  She had more meat on her bones – but not much – and her hair was red, like fire – not golden like yours.  She had the same eyes, though – they were like a sunset on the mountainside.  It was that that struck me the most - that and the similarity of your looks.  You could be a relative of her, but you are not her clone.  A sister or cousin maybe.  Does that help?”

                               

                “Actually it does,” Sarah replied.  “I’m glad I’m not Sorcha’s clone.”

 

                “Actually, so am I.” Bear confessed.  “That would be just too hard to deal with, honestly.”

 

                Sarah felt a little relieved at hearing that.  I’m glad he feels that way – I’d hate for him to focus on me as some sort of replacement for his girlfriend.  It would be for all the wrong reasons, at best.  Sarah idly wondered for a moment what it would be like to have a boyfriend – or a girlfriend – that she wasn’t too self conscious about her body to do something about.  The thought made her smile.  It might be nice, she thought.  If it was the right person.

 

                “So how do we play the game, Bear?”  She asked.

 

                “Well, for most part we act as ourselves, and direct crew to fly to certain areas, investigate things and move on.  There is shore leave, and stopping at various ports to restock, and often a battle in the skies with our enemy.  I will help you.  We will keep it simple for today – flying to a city and restocking our food and water, then flying on patrol – okay?”

 

                “Sounds good to me, Captain.”

 

                Bear smiled again.  It looked good on his face – he was dour and sad too often.  “Come.”  He said.  “I will introduce you to the crew.  You are freshly assigned officer to the ship.”

 

                “What’s the ship called, Cap?”  She asked.

 

                “I call her the Wraith.”  Bear replied.  “Let me show her to you.” 

 

                Sarah went with Captain Bear, and explored the ship.

 

 

9