Chapter 20 – Burston, Part 1
124 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Sarah headed to the bridge, expecting to find Bear at the helm, probably worrying himself silly.  She wasn’t disappointed.  Bear was fidgeting and nervous, tapping his foot and his leg showed a definite nervous twitch.  She glanced at the console – it was about 5 hours to a zero-zero intercept with Burston…  Bear had the Fortune’s favour at its highest speed. 

 

                “Anxious much?”  She asked.

 

                “Da.  Does it show?”  Bear replied with a grin.  “I am just nervous.”

 

                “I’m sure your grandmother will be happy to see you.” 

 

                “I hope so.  I am sure she will – but I also hope I haven’t disappointed her in not calling her in so long.  I have been a bad grandson.”

 

                “Well,”  Sarah began.  “I guess this is your chance to make it up to her, right?”

 

                Bear thought about it for a moment, and nodded.  “Da. Perhaps you are right.  If I can, I will make it up to her.”

 

                “Can you tell me about Burston, a bit?  I haven’t looked at the ships computer about it yet.”

 

                “Da.  Burston is slightly smaller than Terra, and has about 0.90 a standard gravity – so we have to be physical and work out a bit to avoid bone loss.  Even so, I am bigger than most grow on Burston      - Burstoners tend to be tall and thin, or lanky – not built like grav-ball player like me.  The atmosphere on Burston is thin at high elevations, which means that as you go higher up in altitude, the air gets thinner until it is gone.  The tops of the mountain passes have no air at all, and vehicles need sealed environments to move from one valley to another.  Burston is rather hilly and mountainous, with large flat valleys separated by large mountain ranges.”

 

 

                Bear took a break for a moment, and laughed.  “I sound like a travel agent.”

 

                “No – you’re doing great, Bear.  Keep going.”  Sarah replied.

 

                “Well, okay.  Burston at sea level is pretty normal – oceans, trees, grasses and animals – and the settlements the Burstoners have made, mostly in the first valley near Landing.  Others have tried to settle some of the other valleys, with limited success.  We even have cruise ships that sail about – going to one or two of the other settlements near the equator, on the southern continent.  It is said to be a paradise on the southern continent – warm and pretty, with ample land and safety.  The people of the south do not fear Walpurgisnacht… It doesn’t happen in the south.  I want to know why, one day.”  Bear scowled.  “Anyway, Burston was settled by poor farmers and craftsmen from Squanine – an ice planet not far from here – and our Lords and political leaders rule from there.  Most people are loyal to the Royalty on Squanine – but some favour independent rule.  I have faith in the crown, myself, and so does most of my family, or so I am told.  I guess you could call us loyalists.  Anyway, Burston is ruled by a Governor who serves at the pleasure of the King of Squanine and his parliament.   Only the truly exceptional are allowed to emigrate to Squanine.”

 

                “Do a lot of people want to go to Squanine?”  Sarah asked aloud.

 

                “Da – there are always people who want to hobnob with the rich and elite – but Squanine is a frigid ice ball, and most of the people there live in grav-cities that float above the ice and snow.  I prefer a world where you can live under the sky without life support.  Burston feels more like home to me – I do not think I would like Squanine.”

 

                Sarah could understand that.  If Burston was a green world with open skies and beautiful seas, who wouldn’t rather live there than a frigid ice ball, unless one had other reasons to live there – like money and power.  “I’m looking forward to seeing your world.”

 

                “Oddly enough, Sarah, so am I.  I am nervous as hell, but I have been gone for too long.” 

 

                The two of them sat in silence for some time, just sharing some camaraderie as the Fortune’s Favor flew ever closer to Bear and Drago’s birth planet. 

 

 

*              *              *

 

               

                A few hours later, Sarah was in her room packing.  Bear had mentioned he expected to be here about a week, so she packed her carryall with all the things she thought she would need – clothes, toiletries, and so forth.  She also brought her data slate so she could keep reading up on her Merchant course when she had time.   The others were packing too, and Drago was apparently looking forward to going home for a while.  Hortencia was going with him, of course.  Herc was excited – probably by feeling Drago’s emotions of home, and was zipping about the entire ship like a child who’d eaten too much candy – and he would probably crash just as hard when his burst of energy wore off.

 

                Finally satisfied with her gear loadout, Sarah grabbed her carryall, and carried it to the air car in the garage bay of the ship.  Hortencia’s and Drago’s stuff was already there.   Bear is probably slow due to his worry, she thought.  He’ll be okay.   A few moments later, Hortencia and Drago walked in, carrying a struggling Herc between them. 

 

                “I thought we would never catch him.”  Drago sighed.

 

                “Yeah – he sure squirms a lot.” Hortencia laughed.  “Calm down, Herc – we’re going home to meet Drago’s family!”

 

                Drago blanched a bit as he finally understood what was happening, then smiled.  “I’m sure they’ll love you, Hortencia.”  He said.  “You’re unique.”

 

                “Thanks, Drago!”  Hortencia smiled and kissed him on the cheek.  “I’m sure I’ll like them too.”

 

                “Where’s Bear?”  Asked Drago, looking around. 

 

                “Right here, Drago.”  A deep voice answered.  Bear walked into the garage bay, carrying a spacers carryall, as well as a large shoulder bag bulging with its contents.  He placed both of them in the air car’s trunk, and closed it up.  “Are we ready to go?”

 

                “Any time, Bear.” Drago replied.  “Horty and I will take the back seat – you can drop us off at my mom’s place and then head to your grandma’s.”

 

                “Okay.”  Bear replied.  “Sounds good.”

 

                Sarah smiled at Drago and Hortencia – anyone could tell they were both quite nervous about Hortencia meeting his family.  She hoped their visit went well.  “How long is the drive to your mom’s place, Bear?”  She asked.

 

                “It is about two hours to Orwell – the town we grew up in.  My grandmothers place is about a ten or fifteen minute drive from Drago’s home.  It won’t be a long trip.”

 

                The day on Burston was sunny and warm, and it was touched by a cool breeze.  Sarah rolled down her window and prepared for a fun drive in the country.  As the countryside passed beneath them, she saw fields of crops, and herds of animals that resembled sheep and goats and something very similar to cows as well – probably genetically engineered animals bred to adapt to Burston’s environment.  It was deceptively idyllic, she thought – it seemed like a rural paradise!  She wondered how terrified the original settlers had been to learn of the terror of the first Walpurgisnacht…  Without that terror looming over their heads, Burston was an attractive and beautiful planet, she thought.  It looked like a nice place to raise a family.

 

                The drive was pleasant for the most part.  Aside from sharing a little conversation here and there, Drago and Bear were mostly quiet, lost in their own thoughts.  Hortencia was looking out the window at the passing terrain, and Sarah simply enjoyed the drive in the country.  The local radio played a few tunes that were catchy and fun, and the drive was over before anyone really felt the fatigue of travelling.  It was around 1pm local time when they reached Orwell.      

 

                Bear navigated through the streets of Orwell, and came to a mid-sized stone brick home, with fancy grey slate shingles.  The bricks were large, rough and grey, giving the home an “old-fashioned” look that reminded Sarah of a fieldstone wall back on Terra.  It had several large windows, and was surrounded by a lovely yard covered with a bluish green form of grass.  As Bear pulled over to the side of the road – Burston was a planet where ground cars were still used for getting around, except by the very wealthy – Drago looked eager with anticipation.

 

                “You ready to meet my folks, Horty?”  He asked.

 

                “Yes I am.”  She said, with a hint of nervousness.  “Do you think they’ll like me?”

 

                “Honey, they’ll love you.  I promise.”  Drago tried to console Hortencia, but it was clear she was nervous.  Meanwhile Herc was looking around curiously – he had never been here before and it was clear he could tell it was special to Drago.

 

                “Do you need hand with baggage, Drago?”  Bear asked.

 

                “Nah.  I’m good.”  Drago hopped out of the aircar and grabbed his luggage, and Hortencia’s too.  “C’mon, Hortencia.  They’ll be thrilled to see you.  Really!”

 

                Hortencia looked more than a little unsure, but allowed herself to be coaxed from the parked air car.  “Fine, Drago.  I just hope you’re right.”  She hopped out, and turned back to the car, and to Sarah and Bear.  “Good luck, Sarah.”

 

                Sarah smiled.  “Thanks, Hortencia.  I hope I won’t need it!”

 

                “Say hi to Lisette for me, Bear!  Tell her I kept my promise!”  Drago called out.

 

                “I will.”  Bear answered.  “What promise?”

 

                “She’ll know.”  Drago laughed.  “See you in a few days!”

 

                “Da!”

 

                Bear waited till somebody answered the door, and smiling faces greeted Hortencia and Drago and Herc.  Figuring everything was going to be okay, he checked and then pulled out into traffic.  “I think they will be fine.”  He said, mostly to himself.

 

                “Yeah.  I think so too.”  Sarah replied.  “What is your Grandma like?”

 

                “She is woman in her eighties - which is still young under prolong – maybe like 40 years old on Old Terra?  She took care of me while growing up, especially after my mother and father died.  She raised me to be a good man.  It is my fault and not hers I have not been person she would be proud of.” 

 

                “Are you sure she wouldn’t be proud of you, Bear?”  Sarah asked.  “You might be being too hard on yourself.”

 

                “Da, perhaps I am.”  Bear mused.  “But I know I could be a better man.  Still, I hope you are right – and that she will not be too angry at me for not visiting more often.”

 

                Not really knowing what to say, Sarah nodded, and let Bear drive in silence.  Burston’s city streets passed by as they drove – and it looked like Burston was a relatively prosperous large town or small city.  It had dozens of shops, nice houses, and what looked like a very small amount of homelessness and crime.  It was a pretty, bucolic town that Sarah figured would have fit in anywhere in middle America back on old Terra.  The people were a mix of dozens of different ethnic and genotypes – but that was the only real difference.  Sarah decided she liked Burston, so far.  It was nice.

 

                Bear’s childhood home turned out to be a small bungalow with a nice yard and a driveway.  In the driveway, a red groundcar with some nice lines sat – probably his grandmothers vehicle.  The bungalow had yellow siding and white trim and looked homey and nice, and well tended.  The grass was freshly cut as well, and the smell was really nice to Sarah’s senses.  Earth once looked like this, she thought.  Until we destroyed it.  I wonder if it healed in the last three thousand years, or not?

 

                “Sarah.  We are here.” 

 

                Bear’s voice snatched Sarah out of her reverie and she nodded.  “Sorry Bear… I guess I was woolgathering.”

 

                “No problem.  I will get our bags.”  Bear slid out of the aircar’s door, and headed to the trunk for their gear, pulling out his carryall, and the bulging duffel bag he had packed in one hand, and Sarah’s carryall in the other. 

 

                Sarah got out of the aircar, and went to join Bear, taking her carryall from him so he wasn’t overloaded.  At least, that was the idea – it looked like Bear could carry three or four more of her carryalls with ease and not be encumbered.  God but he’s strong, she thought, smiling.  Like his namesake.

 

                As they walked up the driveway to his grandma’s house, the door opened and an attractive smiling woman in what appeared to be her late 40’s came out to greet them.  She was 160cm tall, and looked to weight about 54kg.  She had brown hair, like Bear, but tied into a messy bun, and was wearing stylish clothes.  Her face had a grin that looked about a mile wide.

 

                “Mishka!” she called out with joy.  “You’re back!  I’ve missed you so much!  Who’s your lady friend?”  She rushed over and gave Bear a big hug – and waited for her errant grandson to introduce the girl he brought home with him.

 

                “Babushka!  I missed you too.”  He said, wrapping his grandmother in a big hug.  Releasing her at last, he motioned toward Sarah.  “This is Sarah Kerrigan.  She is new member of my crew.  She is making us all rich, or will in time.”

 

                “That’s wonderful!  Welcome to my home Sarah!  Call me Lise.”  Bear’s Grandma wrapped Sarah in a friendly hug as well.  “Have you been friends long?  Oh my, you look so much like one of Mishka’s old friends!”  Lise looked a little sad, and looked to her grandson, Mishka – which means Bear.  “Is everything okay, Mishka?”

 

                Bear nodded, a little sadness in his eyes.  “Da, babushka.  I have come to visit you, but also to say goodbye and put that part of my past behind me.  Sarah came to help, and to meet you.  She has a big story to tell.”

 

                “Really?  Well please come inside, both of you.  Do you need one room or two?” Lise asked.

 

                “Two, please.”  Sarah replied, grinning.  It was so like a grandmother to wonder, she thought. 

 

                “Of course.”  Lise said. “Show her the guest room next to yours, Mishka, while I get drinks and food.”

 

                “Da, babushka, I will.”  Bear said smiling.  “Let’s go.”

 

                Bear and Sarah entered the bungalow, and Bear directed Sarah to the proper room, where she put her gear down and looked around.  The room was smallish, with a double bed covered in a beautiful hand stitched comforter and two fluffy pillows, and some floral curtains on the window, which overlooked the back yard.  It had a dresser, night table, and a lamp, as well as a ceiling fan to cool the room and circulate the air.  It looked really homey.

 

                Leaving her gear in her room for a moment, Sarah crossed the hall to see how Bear was doing.  His duffel and carryall were on the bed – another double bed like her room held – but for a man Bear’s size would seem more like a single bed.  He was running his hands over small knickknacks on a shelf in his room – memories of his time growing up here, she assumed.

 

                “A lot of memories are here, aren’t they Bear?”  She asked.

 

                “Da.  Sometimes too many.”  Bear replied quietly.  “Some are good memories, but some are full of sadness.  Would you like to see a picture of Sorcha, before the night she left us?”

 

                “Sure, if you want me to see it.”  Sarah answered.  She came over, and took the small portrait Bear had been holding, and looked at it.  Bear had been right about the similarity in their appearances – it was like looking at a close cousin or a sister.  Sorcha, in the picture, was about 17 years old, and looked very much like Sarah, with minor differences.  A slightly fuller face, a slight difference in height – Sorcha was shorter by a few centimetres – and Sorcha’s hair was the color of red flame.  She was beautiful – and Sarah started to realize she was too. 

 

                “You were right, Bear.  It’s like looking at a picture of me, except for the hair.  It’s uncanny.”

 

                “Da.  Life is strange that way sometimes.”  Bear said sadly.  “I may go see her tomorrow.  Now is for my babushka.”

 

                “I agree.”  Said Sarah.  “We should go say hello.  It’ll be fine, Bear.  Your babushka loves you.”

 

                “Da, I know.  I still need to apologize for being bad grandson.”

 

                “Maybe,”  Sarah replied.  “But I think you’re being hard on yourself.”

 

                “Maybe.  Let’s go see her.”  He motioned to the door, and waited for Sarah to go first.

 

                The two headed out, and went to meet Lise.

 

6