Chapter 10 – Truth or Dare
853 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While over the next week Rachael and I grew more physically close, I had made it clear that we wouldn't be romantically involved, and she was respecting that. We sat next to each other during English and history so there were plenty of jokes and unspoken communication happening. I got the feeling that one of the other girls in English was into her. Of course, this was the subject of many notes passed between us, but she never seemed all that interested in pursuing it. I think it was just good for both of us to have opened up. Sleepovers were also just a fact of life if only to keep the other company. Her last full week at the facility came and went, but she wasn't slated to leave until Wednesday.

By Saturday, the newest batch of recently infected guys had started to pour in. After a quick scan of the faces, I didn't seem to recognize any from my school. However, I had recognized the expression on their faces as they awkwardly went about their first few days. It was also frequent to catch one of them giving us long stares. I'd been in their shoes, so I knew what they were thinking when they looked at us.

It was partly that they were checking out the only females their age that were in the facility, which naturally felt odd. I'm sure a piece of them was wondering what the relationship was between the two of us, since from afar we could be mistaken for a couple. But in reality, it was mostly because they were measuring us up as a base of comparison for what they would soon be going through. In fact, come Sunday one of the attendants approached Rachael and I about talking to the new kids Monday morning. Apparently, I was later than most when I arrived, so the speech had already been given to our wave. I was a bit reluctant about it all, but Rachael had convinced me that it would be a good idea.

Rachael and I were both excused from classes Monday morning, and we sat at the front of an auditorium I didn't know we had, as all the newbies filed in. One of the attendants gave a short little speech about this place, how accepting it was, and how all of us here were going through the same things. One or two of the therapists stood up and said their bits. I noticed that Olivia was among them. Eventually it came time for Rachael and I to give our words of advice and answer some questions. Rachael reiterated how accepting everyone was and how there was nothing to be afraid of. She finished up and looked to me.

"Well," I started, "I know that most every one of you is terrified of what’s about to happen. I know that all of us up here saying how accepting and happy everything is doesn't seem like it makes a difference. I know that at times it can feel like your whole world is going to end, and that you're scared. I've been there. I've been you." I paused.

Rachael was giving me a look that I took to mean, "Stop scaring the newbies," so I resumed.

"But like everyone has been saying, it does get better. Trust me, I know it feels like it’s the furthest thing from the truth, but it is. Take it step by step, and day by day. You don't have to be wearing frilly dresses, put on loads of makeup, and go to the mall. You're still the same you, and you will continue to be the same. Now I'll be surprised if a few of you don't join the dark side and enjoy heels and dresses, because it can be more fun than it might seem, but... What I'm trying to say is while the world might feel like its ending, just hang on for a little bit. Make some friends. You're all going through the same things, there's no point in doing by yourself." As I was finishing, I realized that I'd been looking in Rachael's direction for the later part. I attempted to hide my blush as best I could while Rachael asked for questions.

At first no hands were up, but one kid in the back slowly stuck his hand up. "Are we all going to end up as hot as you?" he said jokingly towards me. I smiled and without missing a beat I replied back, "I don't know... I'm quite the looker," I said with as straight a face as I could muster before cracking up. That had the crowd laughing and loosening up.

Rachael smirked back and replied more seriously, "Just imagine you had a sister. You'll look like whatever you would have looked like had you been born this way. But to specifically answer your question, this one is pretty hard to beat," she said pointing to me with her thumb. That had me cracking a wide smile. More hands started to pop up, so I called on one towards the front.

"Does it hurt?" he said meekly. "Sometimes yes, but not mostly," Rachael replied, "Most of the change happens while you sleep. If it does hurt, find one of the attendants and they'll help you out." I had to chime in, "I'll warn you, sometimes your roommates might have some rough nights but trust me when I say they'll be alright."

Rachael called on another kid in the back, "Are you into guys now or what?" We both laughed, and I took the mic to answer. "I'll tell you when I figure it out," I said. That got another good laugh from the crowd, albeit a bit awkward and forced.

We answered a couple more questions and finally, the attendants said that everyone should get on with their classes and the assembly finished up.

Rachael and I had only one class before lunch. We gushed all about the new wave and how... new they were to all this.

"Do you remember the first time the four of us all met?" I asked her.

"Oooh! Don't remind me!" she insisted, "We were so awkward, and quiet. You asked about sports, which of course had Sarah looking to impress us with her 'Ultimate Frisbee Skills'. God! She never stopped foisting stuff on us."

"No kidding!" I joined in, "Of course you took to the dresses and makeup faster than most of us," I teased.

"No fair! You got the advantage of not being as far along as me. I had no choice but to sit through her beauty experimentation sessions!"

"Sure... but you liked it."

"That's aside the point," she retorted, blushing. "Uh! Do you remember the first time she played board games with us?"

"Ya! She kicked our butts right out of the gate!"

"Of course I also remember how I creamed you in Catan, my first game. Funny how that's never happened since..." she said knowingly.

"Alright, I'll come clean. I totally let you win."

"I knew it!"

"But you can hold your own now."

"Oh sure..." she replied sarcastically.

"I mean it, you could give my friends back home a run for their money." I immediately realized I'd broken the unspoken agreement we'd had the last week: I'd talked about home. Quickly the conversation quieted down as we both felt our spirits sink. After a while, I attempted to break the silence.

"You know I'll miss you. Right?" I asked.

"Duh," she replied half-heartedly, "How could you not."

I reached over and leaned my head on her shoulder until I saw a smile slowly inch across her face.

"You know I'm gonna brag about you back home," she said, "How my first kiss was with the hottest girl in this whole place." She trailed off realizing she'd used a gendered term. "Oh! I... I know you haven't talked about your pronouns, I didn't mean to--"

"It's okay... It's the truth. I'm ready," I said.

She gave me the widest smile I'd seen on her face in a while. I reached over and hugged her. I let the moment stay for a moment before resuming the teasing.

"That was pretty good for a first kiss," I said, getting the attention off me.

"Oh shut up," she punched me without losing her smile.

Come Tuesday night, we fished out the remaining bits of the vodka left over from our first going away party. It felt like it had been years ago, even though in reality it was just over two weeks ago. We donned classic slumber party attire and the two of us reminisced and joked about how we were a few months ago. Naturally, the alcohol made us think we were being funnier than we most likely were. I don't remember who suggested it, but we began to play truth or dare.

"Alright," I said, "Truth? Or dare?"

"Hmmmmm," Rachael said as she pretended to think, "Truth."

"Ahhhh," I replied drunkenly, "Were you ever jealous of Sarah?"

"Eh, maybe a little... I mean don't get me wrong, she's a looker... But I always felt pretty comfy with wherever I was at. Were you?"

I blushed so much that there wasn't any point in denying, "There was hot sec where I thought I was... But like, in the sense that I wanted her confidence and all that."

"Uh huh. You just wished you looked as good as she did."

I blushed even more, "Okay maybe that too..." We both burst into giggles.

Then, she centered herself, "Okay, okay! Truth or dare?"

"I just answered a question!"

"Ya, but it wasn't official. It has to be official to count."

"Gah! Alright, truth."

She thought for a while before responding, "What's your favorite part about... me?"

"That's easy! You're charming personality," I said in a fake British accent, "And your butt." I whispered quietly into my cup, or at least I thought I did.

"What!? You just said--" I cut her off.

"Nothing... Nothing, I said nothing."

"Sure...." she said, "Okay, I choose truth."

"Fine," I said, "Same question, about me."

"Fine," she responded, "Your eyes."

"Why thank you milady." I got closer so that I could see hers. "But your eyes are much prettier than mine." She leaned in closer to see mine as well.

"Nonsense! Alright, truth or dare?"

I picked, but didn't stop eye contact, "Truth."

"Tell me about your friends."

"That's easy. Kai: he plays ultimate, tall, great sense of humor. Sadie: Runs cross country, short, gives the best secret handshakes. Lily: Plays tennis, loves Harry Potter, and actually looks a lot... like you."

There was a palpable silence. "That was awkward, I shouldn't have asked you," said Rachael.

"It’s alright, really," I said back. "Truth or dare."

"Are you sure you still wanna play?" she asked cautiously.

"Yes, answer the question."

She gave a long look, "Dare."

I replied almost immediately, "Kiss me."

"Okay, I think you've had a bit too much vodka," she said.

"It’s a dare, you have to."

"I don't know..." she responded.

"Do you wanna lose TRUTH OR DARE?"

We were still close from the question earlier on, and I could see every detail of her face. She rolled her eyes, "Alright." She leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. As she was backing away, I leaned in and kissed her on the lips. She was noticeably surprised and pulled back.

"Are you sure about this?" she asked.

"Yes." I began to lean in, but this time she put my head in her hands and kissed me. I forgot everything about the past few months during that kiss. I forgot everything about where we were and why. We kissed like neither of us was going home.

"So you think I've got a good butt, huh?" she said after I let go.

"Shut up, little miss 'I kissed the hottest girl in school'," I teased back.

She scoffed and pushed me onto my back. She leaned over me and put her hands on my shoulders. "Come on, there's no point in denying it."

"Oh... There's definitely at least one person who's hotter than me."

"I doubt that, immensely." She leaned down and kissed me again.

"You clearly haven't looked in the mirror recently," I said back.

She chuckled. "That was too cheesy."

"Well I might be drunk, so..." I replied. I put my hands on her waist and pulled her closer to me. She pushed a bit of hair behind my ear and leaned in ever so close, but not quite so that we were just barely apart.

"You going to make me work for it, huh," I said, rolling my eyes.

She nodded and stifled a giggle as I kissed her neck and slowly worked my way up to her lips.

 

She leaned in close to my ear and whispered, "My turn." Then she nibbled my ear very slightly and I felt her hand slip under my shirt and onto my stomach. She worked her way up my torso and began to feel her way around my chest. I sat up and kissed her deeply. It was clear that I had more experience in this department than she did, but not for lack of trying. I put one hand on her face and the other on her thigh as hers found my breasts. We took turns exploring each other’s bodies and mouths, although it was fairly surface level in retrospect. At one point she had pulled all the covers off her bed and onto the floor with us. I was glad her roommate had left around the same time as Jordan. We fell asleep on the floor, her in only a t-shirt and underwear, and me in only a sports-bra and pajama pants.

38