Chapter 40
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Face it, Vee. You’re mine tonight.

There was no way the youth could know how wrong that statement was. Love, as so many people know, is a powerful thing. But it’s also a dangerous trap, and those who fall into it risk everything. What’s worse, they would do so gladly.

Vera understood that very well. And yet she had still, somewhere along the way, fell. It was not a conscious decision, loving him. It had just come naturally, without her even noticing. But regardless of the when or how, it happened.

So, no. Those words of his were a lie. Vera had been his for far longer than these few hours of nighttime, and would for a long time after. Maybe always. It was a scary thought, she had to admit. Loving an Okeanos had not worked out well for her family in times past, after all. They could be so very selfish and callous.

But what was she to do? Vera could no more control her feelings than sailors could their ship during a storm.

Tonight, though, maybe it was safe to indulge herself in him. The Young Master certainly seemed ready to allow it, too. After that first dance, there had been many more. In fact, their fun appeared to attract other couples onto the dance floor as well.

Vera had caught sight of Mrs. Everic once. She stood next to her husband as they were among those placed in charge of keeping an eye on the students. But unlike her husband, her eye was settled firming upon Vera and Damien.

Perhaps Vera would have had more thoughts about this if it had been some other time. But the Young Master had noticed her distractedness and turned her head away from the married couple.

“Don’t worry about other things. Tonight is just supposed to be about me and you.” He told her. “Come on, let’s enjoy ourselves.”

Vera wondered why he’d decided to turn on the charm for her. The Young Master could be very persuasive when he decided to be, after all. She’d seen examples of this many times throughout the years.

There would be a time when this would be even easier for him after his bloodline abilities manifested. But as it stood, everything was his natural charisma. A handsome face and a slick tongue did wonders on their own, and the Young Master definitely knew how to use them well.

But why did he use them now? This was a date, yes. However, how did he feel about it? Of her? Vera knew his tastes. There was no way he could be romantically interested in her. At least, she believed so. Vera’s small, childish body could never incite him the way Mrs. Everic’s or her mother’s did.

Even so, he still acted like a lover. Or how a lover should, at least, on a date with their significant other. There had been some light flirtatious banter even from the beginning. And now here they were, pressed against each other as the music slowed and the lights darkened.

Should she hope that this isn’t just him having fun with her? That maybe he...liked her, too? She doubted that very much. Damien is this type of person to begin with. He may love her, but if anything it would be like how he loved Dolly and nothing more. It wouldn’t be the same as her own for him.

He probably thought nothing of how he acted. He had a very teasing nature when it came to things he thought cute.

And even if he did have the same feelings she did, how much time would they be able to enjoy that before his mother found out and stepped in? Vera took some time to entertain the idea of a world where she and the Young Master were in love.

In all honesty, that woman might kill Vera on sight if that came to be and she discovered it.

Her reasoning would be that Vera was of a servant species to their race, especially unworthy of her precious son. And even if the Young Master came to hate her, she would say that the many thousands of years they would live will eventually make him forget about his hate.

There’s no telling what, exactly, she’d do. Maybe it wouldn’t be something so simple. Perhaps she’d use Vera against him. Muriel could be very kind to her own children, tolerant and patient. But there was a limit, and that limit included them not going along with what she had planned for them. Damien, at least, could not escape his coming duties.

Vera could easily picture Damien refusing to participate with her. Initially, things would be fine. But what if Muriel threatened to kill Vera? That’s something she would do without a single bit of hesitation.

She’d kill any number of people if she thought Damien would obey her after.

...Vera was scared of few things in life, and Muriel is one of them. That’s why Vera knew that vision of a happy life with Damien was an impossible one, whether he did come to love her in the future or not.

Either way, it couldn’t happen. So she had to satisfy herself with only this much. It was enough to be able to be held by him like this. It would have to be. She’d never know more.

It was with this thought in mind that she chose to move away from such scary “what-ifs”. She would concentrate on the here and now. On this night, this dance.

Sometime later, she had no idea when, the music died down. The musicians took a break and another group was called to take their place. At this, they played only a few melodies for the atmosphere.

Many couples had grown tired as well, and hardly anyone was moving to the rhythm. Vera and Damien were both still quite full of energy. Of course they would be, they weren’t like these normal humans.

Even so, they also settled down. Damien led her to a nearby table to sit and told her to wait for him. He came back a few minutes later with some drinks. Vera took her’s and sipped. A cool, fruity flavor hit her tongue along with something she couldn’t readily identify but tasted vaguely familiar. But it was good, and so she kept drinking.

Damien slid into a seat and put his own cup on the table, neglecting it for now. “So what do you think about tonight? Have a good time?” The boy’s confident smirk told her he was sure she had, in fact, had a good time. And he was right.

Though she did have a few worries and concerns, she’d put them aside often enough to just have fun.

“It’s been alright,” She responded, taking another sip of her drink. “It’s nice to do something different every now and then, I suppose.”

The boy nodded. “You’re going to have to thank Bea next time you see her.”

Vera froze. “What?”

He chuckled at her. “It didn’t occur to me at first, but after a bit of thought...well, it’s obvious that wasn’t you who kissed me back then.” Damien leaned back a bit. “She really seems to like you, you know. Pretty sure she’s trying to set us up together, even.” He took his cup.

She could only stare at him. “Set us up?”

He nodded. “Yeah. She’s weird. Don’t worry about it too much. Just keep enjoying yourself, alright?” The cup was raised to his lips as he continued. “You never take a day off, so I just want you to relax and unwind tonight.” He took a drink and frowned. “Shit. Tastes like someone spiked the punch bowl.” He looked up at her. “Don’t drink too much.” He warned.

But Vera found his words a bit hard to understand. Also, wasn’t it too dark in here? She couldn’t quite focus on him...

“Uh, Vee?” She heard him call out to her.

Vera hiccuped just then. She found that she’d begun leaning over the table and squinting at him. Alarmed, she sat back and pretended like her arms and legs weren’t feeling slightly numb.

“Yes?” Another hiccup assaulted her.

Damien was staring at her with amazement. “You’re drunk!” He laughed. “Damn, off a single cup? How lightweight are you?”

Drunk? Her? What?

“Am not.” She defended herself. “I’m fine.” But the slur to her words made her a liar. She hiccuped once more, then put her head on the table. Ah, her face felt numb, too. She tried to smile, but it didn’t happen.

No, wait, it’s always like this. “Maybe a little,” She admitted.

He heard that and considered warning the teachers about the spiked punch, but knew they’d find out soon anyway. So he chose to get a few more drinks for himself and get drunk, too.

Vera shouldn’t be the only one inebriated, eh?

By the time he got back, the girl was hunched over and seemed to be playing with her face.

As she heard his approach Vera dragged her head up and put a finger to either side of her lips and pushed. Damien looked at her curiously. “What are you doing?”

“Smiling.” She replied. “I’m happy.”

Damien laughed a second time, enjoying the sight of a tipsy Vera. “Are you? I’m glad.”

The girl let her fingers fall to the side. She got to her feet all wobbly and made her way towards him. “Hey, be careful.” He put his hands up to catch her.

To his surprise. the girl simply stood there, took one of his cups, and downed it in one go. Why? She wasn’t really sure, to be honest. She knew she shouldn’t have.

Vera dropped the wooden cup onto the floor, holding onto the table to support. Then looked down at Damien, who had his arms raised to grab her should she lose her footing.

“Is this seat taken?” She asked, pointing.

Damien’s head tilted a bit in confusion. “That’s my lap.”

“I know what I said.” Vera slurred. And without preamble directly sat atop his leg. From there, she promptly leaned into his chest and started nuzzling him, making cute little noises.

“This is good. I’m going to live here from now on.” Vera breathed.

“Oh yeah?” Damien placed his arms around her to keep her stable. “On my lap?”

“Hm.” The girl moaned vaguely. “It’s mine.”

Damien was trying hard not to break out in laughter. He’d never be able to stop. “I don’t think so.”

His words must’ve triggered something in her because as soon as they registered she raised her head and started biting his neck. The move was so shocking to him that Damien was like a statue for a solid five seconds.

Meanwhile, Vera bit down. Hard at first, then softer. Until she was merely sucking on his skin. Just as he was about to stop her, she let go of his flesh and put her head back down against his chest. His hand moved to his neck, still somewhat unsure what had actually happened. But Damien could already tell there was going to be a bruise.

“Now it’s mine,” Vera mumbled

She marked me, Damien thought with no small amount of amusement.

He wanted to tease her about it, but decided to wait on it.

She’d already fallen asleep.

21

2