Chapter 42
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What do you mean, you want me to represent the school?”

Damien had been called to headmistress Moon’s offi ce a few days after the winter ball and was suddenly asked an

unexpected favor.

“There’s a tournament of sorts between all the major schools of the continent that will be taking place a month or so from now.” The woman began. “On the surface it’s to

keep up healthy relations but it’s more like a cock fight.” She spoke with obvious derision. “Everyone just wants to show off.”

Damien rubbed his chin. “Yeah, there was something like that, wasn’t there?”

“So, you’ve heard of it.”

“I have. But I’m not sure why you took the time to ask me here? You didn’t strike me as a person who cared about

contests like these.” As a scholar, it didn’t really fit her character.

And to little surprise, she agreed. “I don’t care at all about this ridiculous tournament. It’s just for bragging rights

anyway.” Her tone was full of disdain. “So why?”

“Money.” Her eyes flashed green.

“...Money?”

She nodded grimly. “Money.” She repeated. “It’s an

opportunity for the various academies to receive more funding based on their performance. To the others, this isn’t as important. But Baumeister is full of researchers.”

“And you guys burn through money like a fat kid at a buffet.”

She narrowed her eyes at his response. “Weird analogy, but yes.”

“Why me, though?”

“What do you mean, why?” Julia asked. “You’re the only one I can rely on for this.” She frowned. “Baumeister is full of eggheads. For the academic subjects, that’s fine. But the physically demanding parts? Because of those, our ranking has always been--Ah, well, it doesn’t matter.” She broke off and quickly finished her sentence.

She avoided his gaze.

Damien squinted suspiciously. “What was that about your rank?”

“Hm? What rank? I didn’t say anything about a--” “Tell me.”

“It’s really not important.” Damien stood up to leave.

“We’re dead last, okay?!” The woman cut off his exit. He nodded as if expecting that. “For how long?”

Julia mumbled something under her breath. “What?”

“I said...” Her voice dipped so low that her next words were impossible to discern.

Damien’s left eye twitched. He promptly lifted the woman and moved her to the side. He’d just reached the doorknob when a desperate voice rang throughout the room.

“300 years!”

His heart stopped. “Holy hell, woman, 300 years?!” He was utterly flabbergasted. “How is that even possible?”

Julia laughed hollowly. “I told you. We’re eggheads. Our students lock themselves in their rooms all day and study! Do you think they have any muscle to spare?”

“But dead last for 300 years? Really?

“The other academies are a more balanced force, alright? Baumeister is the only weird one. We don’t have the funding for things like combat instructors or exercise equipment.”

She became suddenly animated. “It’d be a waste to even consider it.”

Damien stared at her. “You let yourselves be dead last for 300 years because you couldn’t be bothered to spare a little money on physical fitness?”

“Who needs to be fit? Athleticism is pointless.” She said, very righteously. “Science and technology are what’s important for the world. Who needs to know how to throw a sword or swing a spear?”

“That’s now how those things are used,” Damien replied.

“Who cares?” She dismissed his interruption. “They're all barbaric arts anyway.”

“Fine, whatever.” Damien sighed. “How many events are there?”

“Well, there are marathons, obstacle courses, javelin throwing, archery, track and field, several swimming events, rock climbing, hand-to-hand combat, and sword-fighting.”

“The heck? Most of those aren’t even battle-related, just your normal sporting events. I thought this was going to be an actual tournament?”

“Yes, well...mostly, not.”

“So there’s not really anything barbaric.” He concluded. "Why can’t you skip the ones that require fighting and just work on the marathons and--”

“Sweating is gross.“.

Damien wanted to smack her.“Those are a lot of events.” He said instead.

“And we always fail each one. As you can see, that kills our ranking.”

“There’s really no one but me who you can ask?”

“Ah,” The woman smiled, “Actually, you did train quite a few competent fighters with your disciplinary committee. So we can select some representatives from them, too. But your skill with a sword is well-known, as are your other physical abilities. So I’d like for you to take the lead.”

Though he had a bad reputation, she was now sure it had been exaggerated, and she also knew that he was truly gifted in body. Some people were like that, born with greater abilities than others. It wasn’t very common, but it was not a big secret either.

Not to mention, there was also another tournament some years prior that the youth before her participated in. He had conquered opponents nearly twice his age at the time, all quite readily. She hadn’t witnessed it herself, but no one doubted his skill with a blade. With that and his divine strength, he was a monster that couldn’t easily be overcome.

Perhaps that’s partly why so many bad rumors about him popped up. The prideful Noble youths may have felt jealous and inadequate when faced with such a young freak and lashed out by besmirching his name.

But more than that, his athleticism is what led her to call him here. Many of the events were not sword-related.

However, she’d been observing Damien closely for a while now. And her conclusion? He was a superior male.

Everything about him was full of power and energy, especially in recent months as his body matured further. She could think of no one better to rely on here.

As for Damien, he had no idea if what she said was true. Was he famous for being a dab hand with a sword, or something? He may have been, but he didn’t bother to ever pay attention to such things. All he knew is that a lot of people sucked ass with a blade.

Anyway, a lot of these events were not directly related to any combat skills, so she must have called him in considering his pure athletic abilities.

“And how many of them do you want me to--?”

“I’d like you to compete in all of them.”

Damien nearly coughed up blood. For a moment he forgot his established persona and said, “You’d best have some damn good bedroom skills then!”

The woman flushed red. “Vulgar! What does that have to do with anything?!”

“It better have everything to do with this if you expect me to go through all that bullshit for something that won’t even benefit me!” He shouted angrily. “Forget it, why don’t I just give you some money?”

“...Do I have to share with everyone?”

Her question caused his head to blank out for a second. “You...you want me to fund your own personal research?”

“I ask again: Do I have to share?”

“If I donate to the academy, of course you do!” His anger was back in an instant.

“Then never mind. Tsk.” She clicked her tongue. “Anyway, are you in?”

“Of course not,” He refused. “There’s nothing in it for me.”

“What if I let you rub my legs?” The question came without any emotion, only pure curiosity.

He froze. “What?”

The woman folded her arms. “I’ve noticed. You like my legs. So, would you participate if I let you rub them?” She asked as if this was nothing more to her than a simple transaction.

Damien laughed in her face. “Offer me your virginity and I’ll think about it.”

Julia recoiled. “You’re going too far. Be reasonable.”

“Take off your panties for me. Be reasonable.” He mocked. Ah, shit. His true self was showing.

“You really won’t help me?”

“You really won’t suck my--?”

“Student Claybrook!” She stopped him through reddened cheeks. “Please control your tongue.”

“I can control my tongue quite well, Ms. Moon.” He said mildly. “I can demonstrate for you if you wish.”

“Crude. Shameless.” She knit her brows. “Why are you being so different today?”

“You’re trying to work me like a slave, do you expect me to be polite?” He shook his head. “No matter, I can see negotiations have fallen through. Have a good day.”

Julia’s hand darted out. “Wait. What if I get pregnant? Are you going to take responsibility?”

Damien’s eyes brightened.

 

2