Chapter 6
6.2k 5 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the weeks that followed their first visit, Charlotte had come every other day with great enthusiasm and sparkling eyes. Why?

 

“Lord Damien, a pleasure to meet you again. Let’s go outside, shall we?”

 

That was the first day.

 

“Lord Damien, it’s me. Are you ready? I brought a new bow, and targets!”

The third.

“Ah, Lord Damien, there you are. Come, let’s play.”

The fifth.

 

“Hm? Where’s Lord Damien?”

 

He started hiding from her.

 

“My apologies, Princess….the Young Master has gone to visit a friend today.” Mary was roped into lying for him.

 

Charlotte wasn’t having it. “Friend? He has friends? I see...well, it can’t be helped. I’ll come some other time. Thank you.”

As he was thinking he was finally free for a while, she showed up the very next day bright and early.

“What? Again? Oh....okay. I guess I’ll just accompany Lady Dahlia today.”

A couple days after that. “What do you mean, I just missed him? Forget it. Where is this friend of his? I’ll go there instead.”

“That…” 

 

After that he started straight hiding from her. 

 

“Men, search the premises. He must have gotten lost.” 

 

Lost. In his own home? He was inside the damn armor set needing to pee! She’d sent a dozen knights in pursuit and they found him in the first five minutes about to piss in a vase.

 

“Lord Damien, I heard you were ill? Please take this, it’s a broth made from the Gold Feathered Octadic Chicken, it’s really good at curing all kinds of sicknesses due to the chicken’s restorative powers. You’ll be healthy again within the hour, I guarantee it!”

 

He pretended to be sick. 

 

“What?! A funeral?! That’s terrible...my condolences. I’ll return some other time. Please send him my apologies for the disturbance.”

Several previously non-existent relatives started dying in quick succession.

 

“A second cousin twice removed this time? My, my...I guess I’ll head back today…” When he thought the coast was clear the kid rushed inside, catching him in the middle of cooking breakfast for himself, and said, “I knew it! You jerk, why don’t you want to see me? Come, we have records to break! I’ve brought the Royal Bowmaster as witness today.”

 

The girl is a beast! A damn bloodhound! There’s just no escape….

 

He accepted his fate with tears in his eyes. Fuck. What had he brought unto the world? This girl’s been talking about hunting Dragons lately! 

 

After all this pestering day in and day out, he finally had enough. He didn’t want to forsake all the goodwill he’d built up with her and silently resolved to see this shit through.

 

And so he stood behind her just as he had many times already. His feet placed beside her’s, one hand holding her close while the other drew back the bowstring. Then, with one fluid motion, he released the tension and the arrow flew. 

 

Tchak! 

 

A perfect, dead-center hit. 

 

“As expected.” Charlotte nodded, satisfied. The girl wiped sweat from her brow with a neatly folded handkerchief. “Did you see that, Uncle Royce?! That’s the twentieth time!”

Poor thing thinks she’s aiming…

 

A middle-aged man with long, powerful arms wearing a simple soldier’s coat and trousers adorned only with a pair of white wings along his breast, clapped thrice. 

 

“It was a magnificent series of shots, Princess.” Royce sent Damien a helpless smile. 

 

He was glared at. The man coughed, then continued. ”You should continue your practice. I, uh, I’m tired. Old bones, you know. I’ll go sit inside for a bit, if that’s okay. You two enjoy yourselves.” 

 

With that he sent Damien a discreet thumbs up. Why? ...Why, dammit?!  What’s with that goddamn smirk, what do you think is going on, huh?! Motherfucker. 

 

“Okay. You’re excused. Lord Damien, again! And hold me tighter this time, I can’t see where I’m aiming sometimes. Honestly…” 

 

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH fucking lolies goddamit! 

 

He’s exhausted. He needs a rest! Someone...please...make this stop...

 

After that he was forced to do this several more times before she decided to take a break. They left to the parlor for snack and drink. Dolly, Vera and Baz were accompanying the Prince. As was often the case these days. Dolly was throwing paint at him in front of a giant sheet of paper today, he'd seen. 

 

“Say, I was thinking…since I never miss anyway, shouldn’t we move onto something else? It’s quite inconvenient to always rely on you for this, after all. Maybe it’s time to work on my own strength.” She suggested after sipping a glass of water brought over by Phil. “Thank you.” She nodded. 

 

“Y-Yes.” The boy blushed faintly. His dirty blond curls hid his face a bit, and that was intentional. The kid was incredibly shy around the beautiful Princess. He backed away respectfully, trying to make himself small and unnoticeable.

 

“Really?!” Damien asked with great enthusiasm. Then held back. “I mean that would certainly benefit you. Someone of your skill can’t be relying on external help. You have to spread your wings and fly, no?” And give this bro a goddamn rest, he added silently. “I’m happy you’ve decided to work on your physical fitness. It’s a wonderful feeling, being healthy.”

Damien noticed the girl barely ate at all. Had atrocious stamina. And, for some reason, would cough and grow pale almost at random. He was getting worried about her to be honest. He was even considering fixing her meals personally.

 

“Excellent. I knew you’d agree. After our break, let’s begin...coach.”

Damien damn near choked on his tea. “Coach…?

 

“Yes. I decided to just have you teach me. I’ve heard of your martial prowess before and I think it’d be best to learn from someone my own age. Plus then I can just stay over for a couple weeks and we can do this more often. I really never knew archery could be so fun. I thank you for pushing me to try. How about when I can pull the string myself, we have a competition? That would be swell, would it not?”

 

His heart pounded. He imagined having to spend even more hours of his day with this little kid. For the past few weeks he couldn’t go out and play at all. No booze, gambling, or weed makes Day a dull boy. He needs his vices. 

 

“I’ll...do my best.” Remember, Day. You gotta earn them brownie points. Win her over. For Dolly. Thinking this increased his resolve and he agreed after a moment of hesitation

 

Except he didn’t feel all that closer to the girl? It’s like she talked to him easily enough but still didn’t trust him. And she especially didn’t like Dolly and Vee, who liked to mess with the Prince each time he came.

 

“Those girl are so uncouth.” She’d say with a shake of the head. “Don’t they know who they’re messing with? I’m going to go tell them what for! Hmph...I knew the sister of a natural playboy bastard like Lord Damien would be mean and manipulative. My poor Alex! Fear not, this Aunty will rescue you!”

 

DOOOOLLLLLYYYY!!! VEEERRRRAAAA!!!!!

 

You two dunderheads are messin’ with this big bro’s plans! 

 

Damien raged inside his mind. Those brats kept teasing Alex in all kinds of ways that bordered on bullying, and that lovestruck idiot didn’t resist at all. Charlotte, seeing that, couldn’t help but get angry. That must be why she didn’t trust him yet, just using him for his strength. 

 

Something had to change, and fast. 

 

As he contemplated the problem, Charlotte began devising a plot of her own.

 

***

“Look at this stuff. It’s all over.” Charlotte fussed, wiping the paint from Alex’s face. “Why’d you let them do that to you?”

“It’s okay. The finished product was beautiful. Almost as pretty as Lady Dahlia. Though that’s impossible in reality.” He chuckled. “She sulked today again, you know? It was so cute. I wanted to have a portrait commissioned and hang it on the wall, it was that adorable.  ”

Charlotte wanted to gag. “Just so we’re clear, she was sulking because I kept Lord Damien company again.”She snorted coldly. “ The girl is completely fixated on him. She always tries to interrupt our practice. In fact, she only messes with you to make me mad. Her and that Vera mosshead are so underhanded and childish. Just because Lord Damien doesn’t spend every minute of the day around them and likes to just have fun once in a while.”

Alex looked at her oddly. “That’s because he spends every minute of the day with you instead. You’ve been spending quite a lot of time with him recently.” He narrowed his eyes suspiciously. 

 

“Don’t give me that look.” Charlotte chastised. “We merely enjoy the same things, and I can’t pull the bowstring myself yet.”

 

“You? Enjoying the same things? He was trying to avoid you. You’ve been clingy.”

The girl laughed lightly. “Oh please. What, are you accusing me of falling for him?” She smile and shook her head. “My, what an imagination.”

“Well, aren’t you?” His eyes turned even more suspicious.

 

“Gods, no!” She laughed even more and patted his arm. “I don’t trust that guy as far as I can throw him, and I can’t even lift him up I’m sure.” The girl admitted easily.

 

“Really?”

“Really.” She nodded. “...I also don’t trust that sister or mother. But especially not him. Truth me told, I think he might not be as airheaded as I initially thought. I think...well….”

“What?” 

 

“That is to say…” She blushed and wiggled about like a nervous worm. “I think he might be trying to...to court me? Maybe. P-Probably.” 

 

“Say what?!” Alex stood straight up, hitting his head on the ceiling of the carriage. “Ow!” 

 

“Careful.” 

 

“Forget about me. Are you sure? Y-You think he...to...that guy wants to…that?”

 

“I mean, he has been abnormally patient with me. I’m not an oblivious fool. I know I’ve been a bit too enthusiastic in the past few weeks. Yet he hasn’t said a word of complaint and has actually been quite pleasant. Plus he’s always standing very close to me, or lingering when he’s helping me pull the bowstring. He’s even tried to feed me once or twice.”

 

“Oh gods….” Alex looked like he was hearing about the end of the world. “So that’s why he’s been so nice to me lately. He wants to get in your pants!” He kicked the seats opposite them. “I knew that guy was no good!”

 

Charlotte was mortified. “Alex!” She shouted in embarrassment. “Language! How can you say something like that so easily? And what does it matter anyway? Nothing is going to happen!”

 

“He’s going to leave you a single mother….” He had a faraway, haunted look in his eyes.

 

“Oh stop it. He will not. And what about you? The Dahlia will make you miserable, mark my words. You’re the one in danger here, not me.”  

 

“How dare you.” Alex glared. “Dolly isn’t anything bad like that. She’s an angel! Her heart is made of gold! Take that back.”

 

“Hmph. If you ask me that whole family is a bunch of ne’er do wells. The son is a playboy, the mother is a vixen, the daughter will surely become one, and the father...well, he is pitiable, actually. Poor Lord Claybrook. That wife of his gives me a bad feeling.”

“Well you aren’t the one who has to marry into them. Dolly is good, but yes. Damien and his mother are...odd.” Scary.

 

“...”

 

Charlotte looked sadly at the boy. 

 

He’s right. He’s the one in hot water, just like she said herself moments ago. The Claybrooks, especially Damien and his mother, were infamous. 

 

She can’t leave her little Alex to people she didn’t know she can trust, could she? And Damien’s reputation…

 

He seemed nice, but was that reality or fiction? Maybe he was only nice because he wanted to sink his dastardly teeth into this Princess!

 

She had to know for sure. Was he trustworthy? Could she count on him to keep that sister of his in check? Actually...a thought came to her. 

 

If she won him over, we’ll see how that girl can mistreat Alex then! With both her and Damien, Dahlia would have no choice but to behave!

 

But she couldn’t bring herself to cozy up to someone she didn’t trust. So how did she fix that? A test? Yes. A test! But what kind? 

 

Maybe...hm. She’d have to think about it. However she knew that first and foremost before we even talk about trusting him, she had to know what kind of person Damien Claybrook REALLY is. 

 

A test of character before a test of trust…

 

***

“I’m bored.” Charlotte announced with a yawn a couple days later. “We should do something different for a change.”

 

“Different?” Damien asked. He, Dolly, Charlotte and Alex sat at a table in the parlor. 

 

“Yeah.” Charlotte tapped her chin. “Different. Like...going for a swim, maybe!” 

 

“A swim!” Dolly’s eyes lit up. “That sounds fun.”

 

“Hm.” Well, he thought, it was getting hotter recently and there were many streams in their territory. It’s a bit weird how sudden this request is though.

 

“What about you, Alex?”

He imagined a wonderful scene of him and Dolly frolicking in the water, and instantly agreed. “I have never heard such a great idea before. Let’s go right now.”

 

“So it’s settled. Lord Damien, I’ve seen a map or two of the surrounding area and found a river not too far away that I think would be perfect for the occasion.”

 

He shrugged. “Alright. Let’s get ready. I’ll let your men know to move out.” He rose from his seat ready to inform the soldiers of their new escort mission.

“What? No! I’m tired of them hovering all the time. Let’s just us go.”

 

“Princess, the forest isn’t completely safe.”

“We have you with us.” The girl argued. “And Alex is strong too. We’ll be fine.” She promised.

 

“This still isn’t a good--”

“Oh stop being a worrywart. Nothing will happen. Come on, let’s go have so fun! I even packed some swimsuits for this. Dolly can use one too if she doesn’t have her own.”

Damien saw Alex’s eyes sharpen at those words. 

 

He was outnumbered. “Hah. Fine. But you guys play by yourselves, I’m keeping guard. And I’m going to tell mother and father we’ll be out.” He wasn’t sure where this kid was going to lead them but he was mostly familiar with the area himself. Though he didn’t actually bother to explore much, he’d been hunting in the forest for several years now and so there probably weren’t many places here he was unfamiliar with.

 

Besides, wIth his level of skill and strength none of the beasties in the forest were a threat anyway, he supposed. He was just being prudent, really. As long as he kept his eyes peeled it should be fine. 

 

“Okay, okay. Have it your way. Anyway, let’s get out of here already.”

 

Still, he wasn’t an idiot and he certainly wasn’t seriously going to just leave with the Prince and Princess of their nation into a forest.

 

So while he went to tell his parents about their trip, he also told the soldiers brought for guard duty to follow them secretly from behind.

 

 ***

 

Damien Claybrook walked with the grace of a predator. His steps were strong and sure, his back straight, his hand never leaving his sword as if ready to draw it at a moment’s notice. His eyes scanned their surroundings with a calm, analytic gaze. 

 

He reminded her of one of her family’s Royal Guard. The Swords of Illium, the greatest of the kingdom. He had the same...aura. His father too, she recalled. They all looked like people who didn’t wear their weapon so much as become it.

 

It was nice to watch him. His handsome face, his sturdy body, the methodicalness of his steps. It was satisfying. Charlotte found herself staring idly from time to time from behind him. He made Alex take their rear while he took the front.

 

“We’re heading the right way?” He asked for the tenth time. 

 

“Yes. We should be close. The map says so.” She checked and confirmed.

 

She couldn’t see his expression but she heard the frown. “I’ve rarely been this way. Are you sure the place we’re going to is safe? There are other dangers here than just the wolves and boars….I don’t know why I bother asking you, though. It’s not like you’ve been there before.” He realized with a sigh.

 

“It’s okay, it’s just a small waterfall that we’re going to.”

“Waterfall? I thought it was a river.”

“It has a waterfall too. Relax, it’s marked as just ten or so feet high. It’s okay” 

 

He glanced back. “Let me see that map.”

Charlotte didn’t mind and handed it over. She saw him read it carefully. His brows pinched together neatly. “This...is a very old map. A lot of the land has changed. There’s also another waterfall a bit further down. And something else marked just before that. “ He squinted. “But it’s all pretty faded.”

 

“Good thing we have you keeping watch, then, no?”

He grunted but stayed silent. 

 

After about another fifteen minutes of walking, they finally came upon a clearing in the trees and could hear the tell-tale sign of running water. Rocks littered the ground, leading towards a sizable water hole. Dolly ran forward enthusiastically.

 

“It’s pretty!” She exclaimed. And it was. With the emerald greens, bright sunny rays and sparkling blue water the water hole painted a very serene and awesome picture. The girl ran back and pulled at her brother’s arm. “Day, come on, let’s swim.” She started fiddling with the leather bag she carried over her shoulder. Damien turned back to the others. In particular, he glared at Alex.

 

“Back into the trees, you.”

“Yessir!” The boy ran away, not daring to linger. 

 

Damien didn’t trust the boy not to peak given how adorable Dolly is, enough to tempt a boy to do stupid things even at the risk of a beating. So he took the oversized towel he’d brought and held it up to give his sister some privacy.

 

“Thanks, Day!” Though really she didn’t understand why he bothered. They used to take baths together all the time. If it was him, she didn’t mind him seeing. After all, they were siblings.

 

“Just hurry it up.” He replied, looking away. 

 

Now, Damien is a milf man through and through. But he is also a siscon, so it’s best not to tempt his natural instincts to the surface. He’d wanna pinch her cheeks and hug her all day if he didn’t control himself. Such is the consequence of having such a cute sister. 

 

“When you’re done, can I use that too?” Charlotte asked, pointing to the towel.

 

Damien gave her a blank stare.

 

Charlotte tilted her head. Wondering why he was looking at her like that, she quickly put two and two together. “I don’t mean for you to hold it!” She shouted all redfaced. 

 

He breathed. “Oh, good.” 

 

“...” She didn’t know why, but...somehow...that reaction made her a bit angry. She was the beloved Princess of the nation, endlessly praised for her beauty and style by everyone she met. She had suitors of a number so great they could form a line from here to the Dry Lands.

 

Any youth her age would have killed just to venture out with her like this. So why did he sound so relieved just then, huh?! It shouldn’t have ticked her off, but it did. She shook her head, calling herself silly before going to find Alex as soon as Damien handed over the towel. 

 

Once she caught sight of him with eyes and ears closed she grabbed his shoulder, causing him to jerk and ready a fighting stance. 

 

“Jeez, calm down. It’s just me!”

 

“I told you not to sneak up on me like that! I could’ve hurt you!” Maybe. He had the training to, but he also had good instincts.

 

“Okay, fine, next time I’ll simply throw a pebble. Happy? Anyway do me a favor and keep Lord Damien distracted. Maybe wait ten minutes or something. When I give the signal, grab his attention.”

 

“What?” The Prince grimaced. “Why? What’re you planning?” He asked skeptically.

 

“That water hole leads to a small waterfall.” She explained, telling him about what she discussed with Damien not long ago. “I’m going to pretend to fall off and call for Lord Damien to help.”

 

Alex groaned. “Wait...don’t tell me…”

“Oh yes.” Charlotte grinned. “We’re going to see what kind of guy he really is.”

*** 

 

After a rather lengthy talk Alex begrudgingly agreed to her plan. And so it came to be that for the next twenty minutes he watched Charlotte like a hawk waiting for the signal. She actually seemed to be enjoying herself, playing in the water hole along with Dolly and Alex like a fish. The girl was always a great swimmer but she didn’t go too deeply in, even acting a bit scared to.. 

 

Alex knew that was intentional and also knew that Damien, as sharp as he was, picked up on that too. He must be drawing his own conclusions, just as Charlotte hoped. He even asked her if she even knew how to swim, to which she replied vaguely with a weak smile.

 

After a while Alex was beginning to think she’d changed her mind. But no. Finally, the signal came. It was time for action.

 

“Say, Damien...can I talk to you for a minute?” Alex called out. And when the older boy turned his back, Charlotte brought Dolly nearer the waterfall. 

 

“What’s up?”

“Um, I just wanted to ask you a few things. About your sister. You know? It’s just that, uh, she doesn’t seem to like me very much, so I was wondering if you had any advice…” He started his prepared speech. He noticed the boy’s eyes light up. Damien draped an arm around his shoulder.

 

“I thought you’d never ask. Come, let this bro learn you a few things. You see kid, when it comes to lolies…”

 

Alex nodded along absently, drifting over to Charlotte from time to time. The two girls were on top of a large stone jutting out from the water and were looking down. Rather, Charlotte was. Dolly looked on from the side in concern. 

 

Another signal was issued and Alex prepared his next act. He sent a discrete signal of his own to let her know he’d received the order, then screamed,  “Charlotte!” Just as the girl ‘lost her footing.’

Dolly shrieked herself, clearly alarmed. “Day! Help!”

 

Damien’s head whipped around right as she fell. “Fuck.” He cursed, and dashed towards the waterfall.

 

Alex followed closely behind and witnessed Charlotte struggling, flailing about with terror as she shouted for Damien’s help.

 

It was with a bit of awe that Alex saw the boy kick himself off the ground and dive in after the girl. Not even a second of hesitation

 

From above, watching over the whole thing with a frightened Dolly, Alex saw him drop into the water with barely a ripple. Charlotte continued to flail. But he noticed something wrong. She was starting to drift away faster and faster. And within seconds her struggles... became real. 

 

Alex followed the river and, with horror realized that the river became white and frothy the further it went. 

 

...Rapids. 

 

Dread gripped him. “Charlotte!” He panicked. Just then, Damien caught up and grabbed her. He brought her into his arms as the water grew rougher and, he knew, much more dangerous. 

 

They were pulled under several times and Damien was pelted against a boulder. Alex knew a man of his father’s guard who said he’d been through this exact thing and the man described the experience like being rammed into by a runaway carriage. 

 

“Princess!” Someone shouted, and Alex vaguely realized soldiers were popping out of the forest and running to them.

 

“Princesss Charlotte!” 

 

“We have to get down there!” 

 

“Sir, I scouted that area when we arrived, there’s an even larger waterfall up ahead...they’ll never make it!”

 

110