Chapter 11
5.5k 13 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lord Damien, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” As their arrival was announced and they were taken to the back garden where Dolly’s friend had been sitting for tea, the girl in question gracefully rose from her seat and offered an ideal curtsey.

 

She was a very beautiful kid with lustrous black, purple-hued hair. Her irises were bright and intense, a stunning and deep orange like that of a flame. Her exquisite facial features were a match for Dolly’s own, yet that calm and graceful demeanor far outclassed his sister’s. This girl had been well-bred, a perfect example of what a young Lady should be. 

 

Except he did vaguely recall this Corianna. He had danced with her once before. Was this the same girl? She didn’t seem anything like the starry-eyed young thing he’d met that time. Well, people do change and maybe she’d had a bit too much wine then. Children of Nobility were not exactly barred from drinking, though the alcohol content they were given at parties were obviously not as high as what the adults drank. Still, it would be enough to cause a bit of a problem if drank in high quantities. Perhaps that’s what happened, because right now she seemed far from the groupie he’d come to think of her as. Most of the girls around his age he met were like that. 

 

He liked that this one didn’t appear to be of the same kind. So he returned the greeting warmly.

 

“Please, my Lady, the pleasure is all mine.” He knew how he should act. Being a Nobleman’s kid came with certain responsibilities, like it or not. So he always tried to act politely. Unless he was provoked. Then he got dirty.

 

Damien placed a hand over his heart and gave a small bow with one of those practiced smiles. Again, with little to do these few months he just worked on fixing his otherwise cold-looking face. He was always too lazy to really put in the effort before, but boredom did wonders for productivity. So he thought he had a decent smile worked out these days.

 

“But this isn’t quite our first meeting, is it? If I recall, we did have a dance at a banquet some time ago.”

Dolly, at his side, was staring hard at her friend. She looked...confused?

 

“Oh my, you remember that, my Lord? I’m flattered. I didn’t think you would. But yes, you’re right. I did have the honor of your company that time. If you don’t mind me saying, you’re a wonderful dancer. Sadly, I’m not very well practiced myself. Regrettably. I’m sorry if I caused you any trouble due to my ineptitude back then.” She sighed with a hand on her cheek.

 

“Nonsense. You were splendid. But regardless, If that's how you feel I’m sure you’ll have the opportunity to redeem yourself in the future.”

“Indeed? I look forward to it. I believe I’ve improved much since that dance.”

 

“Since you sound so confident, I don’t doubt you have.” He nodded. 

 

“Well, you two must be tired from your journey. Why don’t we walk the garden and stretch those legs?”

“What do you think about that, Dolly?”

“...What, so I can talk now?” The girl muttered sourly.  Her arms were folded together and she was sending very annoyed glances at her friend. 

 

“What was that?”

“Hm? I didn’t say anything.” She smiled sweetly, goofily, like a true airhead, up at him. “Are you okay, Day? Is the heat getting to you? Maybe you should lay down...ah, why don’t you rest on my lap?”

 

Damien raised a brow. That was...an odd thing to say for Dolly. And what was up with the annoyance?

 

“Are you okay? You seem upset.”

“Eh? Upset? Why would I be?”

“I don’t know, that’s why I asked.”

“But I’m not, though? Day, you’re usually sharper than this. Are you sure you’re fine? Come, rest your weary head.” Dolly found a shady area under a nearby tree and sat on the grass underneath. She then gave her lap a few pats to request he lay down. Because of the chain he was forced to follow but he didn’t care to sit. Instead, he shook his head.

 

“No, I’m fine. Come on, let’s go for that walk. I really am tired of sitting down and I’m sure you are too. After we get done you two can go play however you usually do.”

“...Okay.” She sighed. “But if you feel lightheaded at all you must let me know!” She pointed a dainty little finger at him.

 

“Yes, mistress. Your will is my command.” He joked.

 

And off they went. The garden was giant and had large square areas devoted to different flower varieties separated by brick roads. 

 

Corianna idly ran her hands over the silky flower petals as they walked. “By the way, my Lord, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask since your arrival.” She suddenly announced.

 

“Yes?”

“Why the manacles?”

“Well--” He began before being interrupted.

 

“Day is very stubborn, so I chained us together so that I can keep an eye on him and prevent him from starting dangerous fights.”

 

“Oh. I see…” 

 

Dolly regarded her friend with a smile. “I have to protect Day from himself, and everyone who would want to hurt or take him away from me.” She continued.

 

Corianna stiffened noticeably. “That’s a very noble cause, my Lady.” Was all she said, clearly ill at ease.

 

While Damien could have spoken up just then and said he didn’t need any protection, he just let Dolly be. It was cute that she wanted to keep him safe. She’d been worried about him enough, which is why she did this to begin with. Best to indulge her a bit so she’ll see how unnecessary this all is. 

 

As for him fighting, pfft. He wouldn’t get hurt by all those wastes of sperm who like to pick arguments with him. What happened with Charlotte and the whole thing with him nearly dying by crashing from a waterfall and landing on his own sword was just bad luck. Shit like that don’t happen often. 

 

Anyway, Damien felt pretty good after another fifteen minutes of wandering the garden. That was also the point where Cory stopped them and said, “Why don’t we head inside now? I fear the weather is starting to turn.” She gestured towards the grey sky.

 

Everyone nodded along in agreement. Only Vera, who along with her brother had been silent ever since they arrived, didn’t show a response. 

 

“Excellent.” With that they all followed her back towards the luxurious manor she called home. As they ascended the stairs leading to the back entrance she spoke to a servant girl who stood at the ready. “Have lunch delivered to my chambers.”

 

“Ah…? Y-Your chambers?”

“Must I repeat myself?” .

 

“No, my Lady, you needn’t. I’ll tell the kitchen staff immediately.” The girl, who could not have been much older than Cory herself, seemed surprised. But she recovered quickly and rushed to deliver the order.

 

“Sophie.” Corianna stopped her.

 

“Yes, my Lady?”

“Tell Head Cheff Mills that, as always, I expect nothing but his best.”

A peculiar pause.“...Certainly, my Lady. Right away, my Lady.” The girl bowed several times. Her eyes wandered, I noticed, just before she left. Strange girl. 

 

Dolly squinted at her friend suspiciously. “Don’t we always have lunch in the solar?”

“It’s getting chilly and the solar doesn’t have a fireplace currently. Best to retire to my room for now.”

 

Vera, after a long time being silent, finally spoke up. “Doesn’t the solar have one of the largest fireplaces in the manor?”

“Hence why I said ‘currently’,” Came the smooth reply. “’ Broken, I’m afraid. Collapsed, you see. The brick just fell apart.” She splayed her hands helplessly.

“Oh my. How unfortunate.” Vera’s tone was as dry as the Sahara.

 

“Indeed. But we’ll be quite warm in my room, rest assured.”

 

Baz and Damien shared a look. Neither chose to comment. Damien had no reason to distrust the girl, but...well. He’d also be a bit of an idiot if he didn’t have a few suspicions himself. 

 

“Let’s go.” Cory led them along once again. Through the labyrinthian halls and decadent displays of wealth along the walls. Servants were a familiar sight as they walked up in down the hall in their uniforms going about their duties. Periodically you would find an armored guard stationed at key points. Through the windows you might see a group of a dozen or more going through drills. Similarly you found such sights at Damien’s own house. 

 

Eventually we found our destination. 

 

“Good evening, Young Miss.” 

 

The door to Corianna’s room was protected by two strong, middle-aged, serious-looking guards positioned to either side of it. Both of their expressions eased at they caught sight of her walking towards them. 

 

These were seasoned soldiers. A cut above the ones he’d seen before, they reminded him of his father’s own hand-picked cadre who’d once been chosen to teach him combat when he was younger. The same people who he’d terrorized until they left with not a few psychological scars. 

 

What can he say? Those fuckers were completely fucking insane! He still remembered their unreasonable training requests.

 

His mouth twisted into a cruel, reminiscent smile just then. 

 

The two men in front were instantly put into a state of agitation, feeling suddenly as they were caught in the eyes of a great primordial beast. Only, the feeling was gone just a moment later and made them doubt their senses. They frowned and scanned the room warily, trying to show anything out of the normal so as to not alarm the Young Miss unnecessarily.

 

“Good evening.” The girl acknowledged. 

 

Finding nothing, the guards refocused their attention. They recognized the sweet-looking blonde as the Lady Dahlia, a good friend of their Young Miss. And the expressionless Vera was also familiar. Yet the two males were another story.

 

They felt nothing from the green-haired boy. He was obviously related to that Vera girl. He didn’t give off any particularly threatening aura. 

 

It was the other that made them pause. The violet-eyed one. 

 

“And who might this young man be, my Lady?”  They noticed the manacles tying him to Lady Dahlia. It made them suspicious as it was something so odd and out of place.

 

“The son of Marquis Claybrook, Lord Damien.”  

 

Damien…. Claybrook! 

 

The two old guards felt their hackles rise. That rumored playboy! That demon spawn!

 

Oh, they’d long since heard of this one. This was the boy responsible for Lord Avery’s failed marriage and subsequent heartache that left him bedridden! This is the scoundrel who beat the young Sir Jaime in the last tri-annual tournament with the boy’s own hands and made him a laughingstock throughout the whole Kingdom!

 

Hadn’t he gotten into a serious accident some months ago? How was he standing here looking not at all worse for the wear? 

 

Such a lustful and violent bastard was here with their Young Miss…!

 

They were instantly hostile. 

 

“You two are dismissed.”

They nearly coughed blood. “D-Dismissed...my Lady?”

 

“Did I stutter?” 

 

“But, Young Miss--”

“That is all.” 

 

“I...we...but….” They babbled incoherently. Only after a stern glare did they fall quiet. With deep frustration in their hearts, the two silently trudged away. 

 

Damien wanted to snicker. He knew the girl made them leave for his sake. Obviously, they didn’t like him and she must’ve noticed that. 

 

Corianna smiled at them as she turned the handle to her door and opened. “Now, let’s--” She froze.  Her door was slammed shut. 

 

Silence. 

 

“...Cory?” Dolly asked. “What’s wrong?” 

 

“Nothing. Nothing at all. I just remembered something, is all. My room is just a bit out of order. Pardon me, I’ll be out in a minute!” She spoke in a relentless flurry and disappeared into her chambers so fast she was a mere streak.

 

***

Ten long minutes later she finally reappeared. Without a hair out of place, she welcomed them in warmly. “Come in, please. Take a seat. Lunch should be delivered shortly. Ah.” She said as if in afterthought. “I apologize, but I had but two chairs. I pulled the table over to my bed. Lord Damien why don’t you…”

 

Oh great, here it comes. I should’ve known it’d end up like this, Damien thought. 

 

“... and Dahlia may take the chairs. I insist.”

Huh, Damien was pleasantly surprised yet again. From the direction things were going, he totally thought she was going to make him sit next to her on the bed. She really is a good girl after all…! He felt a bit foolish for doubting her.

 

Eh. He didn’t really know why he cared though. He shouldn’t be so quick to assume she’s just another fangirl. She seemed perfectly fine so far, after all, and she is Dolly’s best friend besides Vera. Damien decided to stop being presumptuous and just treat her normally. 

 

“Thanks.” He took a seat. Baz stood a step behind him while Vera took a similar position behind Dahila.

 

“So, Dolly did you hear…” Corianna settled in and started talking. There were always rumours going about regarding some Noble or another, some juicy piece of news to be shared. As expected, women liked to gossip even at so young an age. 

 

Not that Damien didn’t like it himself. But he kept quiet. He noticed that Cory would glance at his wrist from time to time. Can’t blame her. He wanted to take Dolly’s little cheeks and pinch them just then. Honestly, this brat! 

 

There was a knock on the door and their food arrived. In came a team of servants carrying silver trays. He smelled freshly baked bread, meat, and what may have been a soup….mushroom? It was.

 

“Lunch is served, my Lady.” One of the smartly-dressed servants stated with a bow. “We’ve prepared baked buttered bread, roasted duck with a side of steamed sweet potatoes and a light mushroom soup.” As he introduced the various dishes another servant came up and placed glasses on the table. They wheel in a cart and set it to the side where an array of drinks in medium-sized pitchers were waiting. There was a choice of tea, milk, juice, wine…

 

Damien felt it was a bit much. You know, some drinks don’t go well with certain foods. For example, the wine. A sweet wine would go well with the duck but perhaps would not match as good with the sweet potatoes, while the milk would clash with the already creamy mushroom soup. Tea went well with most anything depending on the flavor and whether it’s served hot or cold.

 

Asfor the juice….fuck, juice is always good. Love it, love everything about it. Naturally, he picked good old grape juice. Hells yeah.

 

Grapes didn’t grow near their home so he’d always had to get it elsewhere if he ever had the craving. He’d considered starting his own little vineyard just to have it on hand but had just been too much of a lazy cunt to do it. 

 

“Thank you. Dismissed.”

And with that, they were gone.

 

Damien helped himself while Dolly waited for Vera to cut her meat into little pieces. Cory also dug into her food with all the refined grace of a noble Lady, her back straight and her every movement measured.  After awhile she daintily wiped herself with a napkin and sipped on her wine.

 

Dolly reached for her own glass just then as well. I smacked her hand. “Oh no you don’t. It’s juice for you, missy. Vee, if you would be so kind.”

The girl gave her Lady a look. “I told you he’d notice.”

 

Dolly huffed. “Why does Cory get to drink wine and I don’t?”

 

“Because she doesn’t get drunk and start gambling,” Damien said, causing a raised brow.

 

“Pardon?” Cory asked.

 

“She begged me for a bit once at a party. She got drunk off of a single sip and had three debt slaves by the end of the night.” He explained. A shocked widening of the eyes. 

 

“Their souls were won fair and square.” Dolly folded her arms and sank into her seat in a sulk, looking adorable.

 

“....You had someone’s wooden leg under your arm,” Baz muttered.

 

“That leg was also won right and proper.”

 

“You only wanted it because it had gold inlay on it.” Vera pointed out.

 

Cory blinked. “Wait. Are you talking about Count Wickham?”

 

“Maybe. He missing a leg?” Damien took another drink.

 

“His priceless prosthetic crafted by master craftsman Rorshack created using a piece of wood taken from the slain body of a tree nymph, with toenails made from shavings of the exceedingly rare blue-colored gems from the northern fjords? Yes! It’s disappearance has been a hot topic for some time now.”

Damien frowned at the thing’s description. “Wait a minute, tree nymph? That thing was made from a... tree nymph?” 

 

Vera chimed in. “A morbid item. I never liked it.” 

 

“Well yeah!” He exclaimed. “That bastard had been wearing a corpse. And of a tree nymph, no less! What gall. Who the hell would kill a tree nymph? If I ever saw them...hmph.”

 

Vera’s eyes flickered his way. “It’s unusual to see you so worked up. Do you have some thing about tree nymphs?”

 

“Tree nymphs are the best nymphs.” Damien proclaimed. “Extra points if they’re goth.”

“What?”

“Poison Ivy is hella sexy.” She isn’t really a tree nymph, but come on. We know she is, too.

 

“...Forget I asked.”

 

He shrugged.

 

“By the way, Cory, why are you acting so weird today?” The little girl, Dolly, cast an openly suspicious glance towards her friend.

 

“Whatever do you mean by that, my Lady?” Came the instant response

Dolly immediately pounced on her. “That! That there! Why’re you being so prim, hm? That’s not the Cory I know!” 

 

Corianna put on a helpless expression and splayed her arms. “I honestly don’t know what to tell you, Dahlia. I’ve always been this way, have I not? Perhaps your brother was right, you seem unwell. We should have the doctor check you, maybe you’d caught something and that’s why you’re confused.”

 

Dolly was taken aback. “What? What are you even saying? You’re definitely acting weird! Cory is never normally this well-spoken and proper.” She grabbed the girl by her shoulders. “  Who are you?!”  

 

Lady Corianna’s head was propelled back and forwards as she was roughly shaken. Damien quickly intervened. “Dolly, what’re you doing? Let her go!” He snapped, separating the two before the girl got whiplash. 

 

Dolly composed herself so fast he thought her previous display was a lie. She just put her arms down, relaxed her face, and smiled stupidly. 

 

He eyed her warily. “Are you good now?”

 

“Yup.” She nodded calmly. “Thanks, Day. I didn’t know what came over me.”

He sighed. “It’s okay. Just...chill out.” He turned to the slightly green-looking Cory. “Are you alright, Lady Corianna?”

The girl held her head and took a deep breath before answering. “I...yes. I’m fine. Thank you for--”

Just then, without any warning whatsoever, Dolly flew straight into the other girl from across the table. They both fell back onto the bed with Dolly stradling Corianna’s tiny waist.

 

“Who sent you, huh? Was it the Alliance? The Day’s Dawn? Tell me, you swine!”

 

The girl was absolutely feral, foaming at the mouth as she shouted down at her friend. “I’ll never let you people take my brother away from me!” She roared, panting heavily like a wild animal.

 

Damien’s mouth nearly dropped to the floor. “Are you out of your ever-loving mind?” He screamed. “Get off of her! Dolly! Get off!” He turned to the as yet silent Baz. “Baz, grab her left!” He commanded the boy, taking her right. 

 

“Eh? The Young Miss is surprisingly strong today.” Baz exclaimed. 

 

“Focus, man! Pull her off!” And together they forced the rabid Dahlia off her victim. She fought them with everything she had, even going so far as to growl. 

 

“Dolly, calm down!” Damien wrapped her in his arms. Gradually she calmed down enough to merely glare at her friend with clear distrust in her eyes.

 

The other girl flinched from her gaze. Damien didn’t know what to do. The hell was going on? She just went crazy so suddenly. Now she was dirty from lunging over the food and there was a mess everywhere. 

 

A loud crack of lightning at that moment made everything worse. Startled, Dolly grabbed onto his arm and squeezed. Her eyes darted left and right warily.

 

“Vee, make sure she’s okay.” He said, jerking a chin towards Corianna. “Baz, go ready the carriage. We’re leaving.”

 

“Yessir, boss.” He saluted and ran off. Only to be stopped. 

 

“Wait,” Cory called out to him, She sat up and shooed Vera’s hand away from her. “I’m fine. It’s okay, don’t leave. She must just be unwell. Look, it’’s pouring outside and I’m sure it will only come down harder. It’s a long journey back to the Claybrook estate. Just stay the night. We’ll have our physician take a look at her while you’re here, too.”

 

Not a bad idea, but he wasn’t keen on it. “ No, thank you. I think it’s best to get her home for now. I’m sorry your time together was cut short, and even more sorry for her behavior. I really don’t know whats gotten into her.” Damien lied through his fucking teeth. 

 

How the hell could he not know? The girls actions were pretty clear. This kid’s brocon was on steroids! She was always a bit attached, but after his latest brush with death her instincts must’ve been kicked into overdrive. She’s nothing but an animal now, her sole desire to tie him up and keep him safe tucked away in the nearest basement.

 

She’d already tried crippling his legs and she’d even chained them together. This is not a drill, peeps. We have ourselves a rising yandere brocon sister on our hands. Who knew what she’d do next? Even setting fire to their house and killing their parents for trying to deny their love wasn’t out of the question for these kind of maniacs! 

 

He had to get her home and apply 10ccs of brotherly love and affection to settle her down before her next episode. After that he had to begin her treatment. See, dear readers, the only way to tame yandere is to not be a pussy. You had to have a firm hand. Have to break the bitch like one would a wild horse. 

 

Well, maybe he can stop her disease before that had to happen though.

 

After saying his goodbye’s, he and Baz dragged her out of the room with Vera following close behind.

 

***

]

“This is just fucking great.” Damien kicked the side of the carriage in annoyance. He was getting more soaked with rain every second and his boots were already caked in mud.

 

“Apologies, Young Master, but the carriage is simply done for. We’ll never get out of this mud, and even if we did the axle can’t be replaced here.”

 

“I know. It’s not your fault.”

 

The middle-ages driver started unstrapping one of the horses. “I’ll go to the nearest town and request aid. Please take shelter back inside, Young Master. I shouldn’t be long.” He said before taking off.

 

Needless to say, we’d broken down not even twenty minutes after leaving Corianna’s manor.

 

We got stuck in the mud and left stranded under a dark sky with ominous trees standing tall to either side of the trail, each one looming over them like wooden giants. Baz was quite scared and refused to come out. 

 

Vera was the only one who’d gotten down with him to see what the problem was when they stopped moving. At least one of the siblings was reliable, thank the gods.

 

As the driver disappeared into the fog Damien was about to suggest they go back inside when a new voice joined in.

 

“Ho there!” All of a sudden he head someone speaking. A youthful man by the sound of it. Damien and Vera turned and found another carriage pulling up from the back. 

 

“Who--?” 

 

“Lord Damien!” 

 

Cory. 

 

The girl had opened the window to her door and peeked her little head out, braving the harsh rain to call out to him.

 

Damien started walking and met her. “Lady Corianna, what are you doing here?”

“I had a bad feeling something was going to happen. Looks like I was right.”

 

No kidding.

 

“Might you be interested in staying the night now, Lord Damien?” She asked with a raised brow, as if daring him to refuse. He saw that and broke into a huge grin. 

 

“How can I say no? It seems I’ll have to trouble you for a ride, though.”

“I have plenty of room that I’m happy to share.” She opened the door and patted the seat next to her somewhat cheekily. 

 

“Ha! I like you, Lady Cory. Alright, let me get the other’s.”

Damien walked back to their own broken down vehicle, now with a much better mood. He spotted Vera crouched down looking underneath the carriage.

 

“Hey, what are you doing?”

 

The girl didn’t evenbother to look at him. She simply stood up and tried to get the bit of mud onher knees off. “Nothing.”  She said. A glance behind him.”Lady Corianna offering to bring us back, I assume?”

“Yeah.” He nodded. “She has a good intuition, luckily for us. Said she had a bad feeling after we left and decided to come after us. Good thing too. We could have been here for hours.”

 

“Yes. Lucky.” She replied evenly.

 

“Go ahead and get in first, I’ll bring Baz and Dolly.” Damien told her, to which she nodded absently. As he opened the door to the carriage and informed the two inside of the new plan,  her eyes drifted to the wheel with the broken axle.

 

How ‘lucky’ that she arrived so quickly, Vera thought darkly. Almost as if she’d set off mere minutes after us.

 

Vera was also starting to have a bad feeling about this.

91