Chapter 3
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello! As you can see, I don't plan to completely copy the mechanics of NBA2k. Please if you have any comments or suggestions leave it down below!

~~~~~~~~~~

An NBA player once said, "Passing makes two people happy, scoring only makes one person happy."

As the game started, the 6'6" opposing center (#5) won the tip as they got the first possession. We immediately went to our defending positions, adapting a man to man defense right away to put pressure on each player.

The ball was handed to Team F's point guard, #45 who started slowly dribbling the ball, surprisingly taking his time while laughing looking like it will be an easy win for them.

"Huh, so you're not feeling pressured huh?" I thought to myself as I was somewhat insulted.

I immediately bodied him before he can cross the half-court line and put pressure, cutting him off.

#45 was surprised and tried to crossover to the right seeing I was leaning to his left, but it was just my bait. I used my long arms to tap the ball during his move and was successful and immediately picked it up and dribbled at full speed to our basket.

[Pick Pocket Badge Activated]

I was all alone dribbling towards our side of the court and decided to add salt to the injury. I dunked the ball with two hands sending a statement that I'm for real.

Score: 2-0

"Daaaamn!" someone said on the stands

"Motherfucker that guy means business!" another spectator said

I discovered I was able to dunk when my dunk and vertical attribute reached 30, I grew 2 inches taller as well so it helped.

Cheers erupted from the stands as some of the players saw my dunk.

I looked at #45 with a blank stare while going down the court, taunting him that he should take this seriously.

"No taunting please," a referee reminded me.

As they started another possession Team F's composure started to turn serious, seemingly offended that we got the first point with their carelessness.

I continued my game plan and decided to put pressure once my man passed the half-court line.

This time #45 didn't dribble the ball to the half-court but it was the other guard #20.

#5 was jacking up positions with Chris in the low post and was able to get the upper hand and asked for the ball.

#20 who has the ball immediately passed it over to #5 who recognized the size mismatch with Chris and made a hook shot, that went in.

"Heh, too easy." as if to pay back for my taunting, #5 provoked Chris with a low voice.

Score: 2-2

"Don't worry, we'll get it back," I said to Chris while he was inbounding the ball to me, reminding him we got his back.

I dribbled the ball all the way to the half-court surveying the floor for open teammates. After a few seconds, Aaron made a screen for James at the left-wing giving him a free lane to the basket.

Seeing the opportunity I made a bounce pass to James giving him an easy layup, however, #5 was able to challenge the shot when he was about to take off so he passed it back to me.

Seeing that Chris is open due to #5 jumping to challenge James's layup attempt, I made a bullet touch pass to Chris executing a beautiful high-low play, resulting in Chris's easy basket down the paint.

[Dimer Badge Activated]

Score: 4-2

I heard "oohs" and "aahs" after the bullet pass that I made because of its accuracy and speed.

"Keep an eye on #67" A coach said to his assistant while watching our scrimmage.

Right after we scored, we went back to our half-court man to man defense right away, preventing Team F from making a fast break.

I continued hounding the ball handler (#45) once he crossed the half-court line forcing him to go to the left corner to trap him, Paul who recognized my intentions immediately double-teamed #45 when he saw him pick up the ball due to my pressure defense.

[Defensive Stopper Badge Activated]

"Shit!" #45 said irritated that he got trapped at the corner.

I was able to tap the ball resulting in a loose ball which I immediately got.

[Pickpocket Badge Activated]

Team F saw the steal and went back immediately to defend. However, I was able to see Paul already running right after the double team to going to the corner 3, I didn't waste movements as I made another bullet pass to him who was already squared up.

[Dimer Badge Activated]

*swish "#4! 3 points!" the referee signaled right after the basket

Score: 7-2

"Yes!" Paul was all smiles as he walked over to me for a high-five. "You were really not joking huh? Nice pass my man!" he exclaimed

I just smirked while giving him a high-five.

"Fuck! What the fuck are you doing?" #5 was furious with their point guard because he already made 2 turnovers. "Don't just dribble the ball yourself like an idiot! You have teammates!" #5 added

#45 was livid as well but he didn't respond since he knows it was his fault, "Fuck!" all he was able to do was curse at himself.

Team F changed their strategy and decided to pass the ball as soon as we put pressure.

#5 then made a ball screen for #20 who in return set up a pick and roll after using the screen.

Chris who had to switch because Paul was trapped at the screen wasn't able to defend #5 driving to the basket for an easy dunk.

Score: 7-4

#5 was roaring right after dunking the ball, hyped with the play.

"Look another dunk! This scrimmage is intense!" one of the spectators said.

After the play, I went to Chris and Aaron, "Hey, that #5, double team him whenever he asks for the ball, I'll take care of the rest."

The two just nodded as we started a new possession.

"Hmm, Aaron and James haven't scored yet." I thought to myself while dribbling down the ball.

"Then I'll attack!" I changed my pace as I dribbled between my legs going to the right, my explosive first step took #45 was taken by surprise as he reacted late.

#38 who was guarding the right block tried to cut me off but I was prepared as I euro stepped going to the left.

He was left in the dust as I attempted a layup, however, #5 was there to block my attempt... which was within my calculations, so I made a behind the back pass going to my right.

[Dimer Badge Activated]

Aaron who was left wide open made an easy layup.

Score: 9-4

Aaron pointed at me after the bucket, acknowledging my great pass to him.

Team F was confused as #5's dunk didn't affect our morale, they were busy pointing fingers at each other as #5 began blaming #38 for allowing me to pass by him.

"Huh, so he's one of those guys? Cancer?" I said to myself as I evaluated #5, he has great skills for a high school recruit but doesn't have a good personality.

2 minutes have passed already when I looked on the clock, I need to showcase my skills more.

While our opponents were upset with each other, I seized the opportunity and intercepted a pass from #20 while they were bringing the ball down.

#20 and #45 were quick to defend me as they haven't passed the half-court yet so I decided not to force it. However, I saw James in my periphery so I decided to drive to the basket instead.

Team F noticed that I always bait the shot for a pass so they stayed ready for my pass to James.

The beauty of basketball is that there are different ways to score. So I faked a behind the back pass to James that #45 fell for and I then went for a layup.

"You're not going anywhere!" However, #20 who was guarding my drop pass read my fake and was able to jump and challenge my shot.

I improvised mid-air due to my quick reflexes (and the badge itself) as I dropped the ball to James who was running down the court for an easy layup.

[Quick Reflexes Badge Activated]

[Dimer Badge Activated]

Score: 11-4

All of my teammates were hyped as they each scored in spectacular fashion.

However, #5 still hasn't lost his spirit as he kept asking for the ball in the low post.

Seeing Chris losing position against #5, Aaron helped, double-teaming him in the process.

"Shit!" #5 who was being pressured by two defenders was able to keep his composure as he saw #38 open down the block, passing him the ball.

With a wide-open layup, #38 shot the ball. However, I came from behind and swatted the ball out of bounds.

[Rim Protector Badge Activated]

"Out of bounds! Team F ball!

"Nice help defense man!" said Paul

"Damn it! That #67 is quick." #5 muttered frustrated that they weren't able to score

There are still 7 minutes left to play the game so I have to rack some more stats, that's the only way they'll notice me.

Team F who still has ball possession was able to recover quickly as #5 who was inbounding the ball passed it to #3 who suddenly made a backdoor cut for an uncontested layup.

Score: 11-6

"We'll get it back!" I said right away while dribbling the ball to the half-court line.

I signaled to Chris to give me a screen, he understood and made the screen to my right.

#45 saw the screen and went under the screen as they are already aware of my slashing skills.

I snatched the ball back with a crossover to the left which made me open, but #5 who switched to defending me was expecting me to shoot the ball and was ready to challenge me.

I shot faked, then made a bounce pass to Chris and slid past #5 who was in the middle of the air, biting to my fake.

Chris saw I got past my defender who made another bounce pass to me for a beautiful set up as I made a tomahawk dunk.

Score: 13-6

"Deeeeym!"

"That was nasty!" the spectators were hyped with my dunk.

Just to put some context, during this time, Filipino athletes don't have that much innate athleticism, so seeing a high school recruit do a tomahawk dunk was unbelievable.

~~~~~

"Hey coach, that PG has a great skill set and athleticism, he should be almost on par with our starters." said one of the assistant coaches

The coach didn't reply to his assistant as he was blankly staring at Kevin seemingly observing every move he was making.

~~~~~

"Let's continue playing good defense!" I said to my teammates while waiting for our opponents to come down the court.

We have established our rhythm during this scrimmage and have defended all of the other players well except #5.

That height and build have given him the advantage to be almost unstoppable against us.

We controlled the tempo of the game as we made a lot of stops resulting in a lot of fastbreaks. Only #5 was a clear threat, he was unstoppable in the low post.

By the time 1 minute was remaining on the clock we already had an 18 point lead. Team F's players were already looking lifeless, especially #45 who wasn't able to score the entire game because of me.

Score: 34-16

I was able to convert two 3 pointers during the game and pile up some of the other stats as well.

Since we have a big lead, I handed the control of the ball to my teammates for the last minute. They were good teammates if I would say, not that skilled but knows teamwork.

As the buzzer sounded, signaling the end of the scrimmage, I high fived my teammates and immediately shook hands with our opponents as a sign of sportsmanship.

"Nice game" I shook the hand of #5 who returned it while bitterly smiling.

"You're good, I'll beat you next time," he said to me while smirking

He's competitive, I like it. Was what I thought as I reevaluated him.

We were asked to huddle on the courtside as there will be another game.

"Alright players, we will contact you for the results within 48 hours. Thank you for attending this open tryout." one of the observing coaches said to us

I went back to the stands and started cooling down my body. I tried to observe the ongoing scrimmages but no one caught my interest.

"I guess I'll go home now."

[12 PTS 6 REB 7 AST 5 STL 2 BLK]

[Teammate Grade: A+]

[150 VC Gained]

[Achievement Unlocked] [Stifling Defense]

[100 VC Gained]

"Hmm... stifling defense? Was it because #45 wasn't able to score?" I muttered while checking the system

It was already past noon when I stepped out of the gym, It was still considered summer so it was hot.

As I was walking towards the exit of the campus somebody called my attention.

"Excuse me, you're Kevin King am I correct?"

A man in his late 30s talked to me, he was wearing a mono-colored dri-fit shirt with a basketball logo on it and jeans with rubber shoes.

My eyes shined as I have a clue on who he is. "Yes I'm Kevin King"

"I'm Arthur Vargas, a scout from the University of the East Red Warriors." he gave me his calling card as he was introducing himself

"May I invite you on some refreshing drinks outside the campus?" Arthur said to me smiling, this is the first time I made a conversation with a scout so I just went with the flow.

~~~~~

"So what's a rival school's scout doing here? Aren't you guys set with your roster? And how did you get in of all things?" I started the conversation while checking the card if it was legit (you never know, heh)

"Kuhum... well, I have my ways... and we don't want to pass up on unknown gems and we currently have some issues with our lineup," Arthur said

"Anyway, I saw you play a while ago and I'm more than impressed. I want to invite you to our practice session. I see huge potential from you." he added

"Wait, practice session? Don't you mean the open tryouts on Tuesday next week, May 11?"

"No, I'm talking about our first string's[1] practice session," Arthur smiled a little

"Your performance a while ago was enough to get a chance to directly join the team. I just spoke with our head coach over the phone and he approved with you joining our practice session the day after tomorrow."

"So what's the difference?

"The difference? I don't know if you're aware but the Blue Eagles and our tryouts were meant for selecting our second strings roster." Arthur explained, "They're the champions, do you think they'll put you on the first string right away just because you played well against unknown players?"

Arthur has a point, however, his explanation was not enough. "You mentioned there were some issues with your current lineup?"

"Kuhum[2]... Our starting point guard had a season-ending injury last month while our back-up guard is not on par. We were at the final four last season and we're aiming for the championship this season. If you can play on our practice session just like how you did today or better, then the starting spot is yours."

In my previous life, I played on a minor college who didn't have any second or third strings so I was enlightened. If I want to be the best, I have to play against the best. I don't have time to wait for a promotion that I wasn't even sure if it will come.

"I see huge potential in you that's why I approached you, if you look at it, if let's just say you have a bad game when you practice with us, the least that will happen is that you won't be one of the starting five but will be a role player coming off the bench.[3] But what's guaranteed is that we will give you a full sports scholarship, and if you perform well, we will give incentives, generous ones. You know what I mean."

That was the nail in the coffin.

I don't have anything to lose, besides, he looks legit.

I didn't reply right away because I had to process everything. 

It was a few minutes later.

"I accept, Mr. Vargas."

I relaxed my body as I sit a little bit more comfortably and took a sip of my drink "This tastes good"

Arthur looked at me with a weird expression, "You know that's just water right?"

~~~~~~~~~~

*Opposing team player positions during the scrimmage just for reference: #45 PG, #20 SG, #3 SF, #38 PF, #5 C

[1] In basketball, the first string is the main team who play in major leagues while the second and third string are backups.

[2] Onomatopoeia for coughing in case you're confused.

[3] Players who play considerable minutes but do not belong to the starting five.

1