Chapter 3: And on the 14th Day…
3.2k 14 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Day 14]

Unlike my first few days in this place, I’m now infinitely grateful for my ability, The Unnoticed. It might have seemed useless at first, but it not only passively covers my trail but also makes monster ignore me… unless I do something signifying myself as dangerous.

After learning to recognize the signs of various animal territories, I have been searching for relics while out (which I didn’t find) and fighting various monsters.

Targets have ranged from the average wolf monsters to lizard-men.

Well… fighting might be an exaggeration. Simply put, I don’t have the confidence to fight something if I’m not in a completely advantageous position.

Thus, I've been mainly ambushing them from behind stabbing my knife into a vital place... or throwing poisoned food nearby and finishing them off afterward.

<Ability: The Unnoticed Active: become unperceivable for 0.1 seconds, Cooldown 24 hours, Passive: goes unnoticed unless specifically looked for by most living things. [Rank 10, 60%] >

Unfortunately, I might have been overly ambitious when deciding to getting The Unnoticed to [Rank 7] or [Rank 8] in such a short period is... difficult.

Despite taking almost every opportunity I could. I seriously underestimated the difficulty, to put it simply I’m a normal person.

As a normal person… my upgrade speed reflect the speed that of a normal person. It would probably absolutely crush anyone else on the other difficulty levels (due to monsters having more corrupted mana then other difficulty levels)… but, in Hell Difficulty, that just isn’t enough.

Everyone who can survive in Hell difficulty is a superhuman, they can do things that would be extremely risky for me without any risk.

Truthfully, I’m the runt of the litter.

The very weakest, and my slow upgrade speed reflects that.

I didn't even return to the rest area (before today) in an attempt to speed up my progress. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been enough to improve the rank.

I've also learned some of the less obvious points of my ability.

If I do something attention grabbing, such as shout or move quickly, monsters will notice me.

Additionally, if I am holding an inherently dangerous object, such as a knife, in their line of vision they'll notice me (if I get within about fifteen feet). Otherwise, I seem to be simply ignored.

Not to say that they cannot see me, they clearly look at me at times... but, it’s the look you give a tree, a rock, or something unimportant for being in your way…

Over the past days, I have been mainly eating the poisoned food in the rest area for several reasons.

Mainly to build up immunity to the poisons in the food by eating it whenever possible. There exists non-poisoned food does exist in hell difficulty level tutorial, but I don't have the time to waste to collecting it. If I'm not immune to this level of poison...Well, let's just say I’ll probably suffer.

My main problem is, I’m progressing too slowly.

This place might seem horrible, it's the safest place that exists in Hell Difficulty. If I don’t speed up my improvement speed, I’ll be left behind and probably die later on.

*Sigh...* I was hoping to at least wait till [Rank 9] due to the danger, but I’ll need to collect the Basilisk’s Inheritance Manual today.

Inheritance manuals are reinforcement techniques that improve the strength, endurance, speed, flexibility, regeneration, and some manuals provide a special ability.

Only someone who has undergone the Redeemer’s process can use an Inheritance Manual... and even then they can only use one Inheritance Manual in their lifetime.

Nobody else can use it unless they die... or willing give it up, which would result in them losing any potential for future growth in the inheritance techniques. The main problem is they remove the users ability to cast spells. Simply put, you trade the insanely powerful temporary boost from spells for a growing permanent increase in survivability and strength.

Actually, part of the reason I choose Hell difficult is these manuals.

These inheritance manuals are basically exclusive to Hell difficulty, at least the useful ones are. Others are scattered about, in other difficulty levels... but, they're weaker and don’t provide enough benefit to be worth cutting off the magic route.

The basilisk’s inheritance manual is strongest for regeneration and endurance and, additionally, provides the petrification gaze ability.

That manual is the reason that the basilisk became nigh invincible. It's able to deflect bullets with its scales, and even survive a hydrogen bomb (if it’s the same as I described in my book).

Of course, this isn't the only manual in the tutorial, nor is it the best... however, comparing the risk/reward ratio this is the best. The other powerful manuals are guarded to the death by insanely strong monsters, as in even stronger than the 50-foot nigh unkillable basilisk monstrosity.

In the story, another character, named Duke, meandered around the tutorial zone for 30 days then straight up fought and killed the basilisk in the tutorial (did I mention I made my characters complete and utter monsters?); however, he didn’t get the manual because the basilisk had already willing given it up to its offspring that is hidden in a cave nearby its lair.

Since the offspring is young, I should still be able to kill it. Stealing the manual.

Getting it's manual should improve my chances of surviving by a large margin.

Before today, I was attempting to wait until The Unnoticed reached rank 9... but, I'm growing too slowly. The longer I wait, the stronger the baby basilisk is going to get.

Considering how powerful that manual is... if I wait till I reach rank 9, I might no longer be able to kill it.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind waiting a little bit longer... but, in a few days, I'll probably be lose all opportunities of obtaining it.

Today's the day another powerful monster should come to disturb the basilisks nest.

The basilisk will then charge out to chase the monster away to ensure the safety of its offspring, which in the process will (with any luck) leave the baby venerable. Afterward, though, it'll probably keep a close eye on it's offspring.

[Outside the Basilisk's Den; A 2-3 hours later...]

I'd already discovered this place during my two week stay in this ‘tutorial’.

It wasn’t exactly difficult to find, especially considering it's the only mountain in this area. It's notably quieter than normal around here though, but nothing with even the slightest intelligence would probably live around a basilisk’s lair.

Last time, I spotted the basilisk sleeping on a rock atop the mountain. When looking from nearby the bottom of the mountain, if you found the correct angle, it's easily spotted.

Anyway, the runes for the teleportation beacon should be carved somewhere nearby where it slumbers.

Hopefully, I've changed nothing drastically and that other monster will still bother the basilisk.

If everything goes according to plan, it should be too busy dealing with the intruder providing the perfect chance to silently dispose of its offspring by stabbing a knife their brain.

Wow… Uhh, that sounded very dark.

I don’t really have much choice... If don’t obtain an inheritance manual in the tutorial zone, it'll be too difficult and dangerous to obtain one. I can't assume I’ll get another opportunity, due to their rarity.

Not to mention the basilisk manual is probably the best manuals I could receive... it's not what I would choose if I had many other options, but it is the only manual I could survive obtaining.

I didn’t know exactly where the basilisk’s offspring is... but, I can theorize the parent would probably sleep within vision distance of its offspring.

Meaning, I should find the offspring’s cave nearby the top of the mountain hidden behind foliage or something.

Carefully being quiet, I ascended the mountain. Eventually reaching a location where I spotted the 50-foot long basilisk quietly slumbering.

Briefly describing the area around the basilisk, to the left side there is a several hundred feet cliff. To the right... there's a other forty to fifty foot wall, a giant circle of runes magically carved into the rock.

Mentally noted down the location of the teleportation rune. Searched for spots where the offspring's cave could be hidden. Unfortunately, I couldn’t spot anything resembling a cave nearby… It's best to simply find a hidden place nearby to prepare for when the disturbance occurs.

Some time later…

HISSS! The Basilisk’s voice echoed throughout the mountains. Watching it fly (figuratively, not literally) off toward, what's presumably, the direction of the intruder.

In my downtime, I'd remembered a small cave hidden on an outcropping of the cliff when watching the basilisk the other day. Considering I can't find another cave nearby, it probably contains contains the baby basilisk.

Hmmm... I might have some trouble reaching it... but, I've collected various vines and other utilities that could make a rope during my duration in this area (otherwise I wouldn’t have survived this long).

I briskly find the area above the cave and attach the rope to a nearby rock that seems sturdy.

Okay, I need to be quick... I have no idea when the basilisk will come back to check on its offspring.

Glancing downward, the cave wasn't far.

Only 20-30 meters... but, it's the enormous distance to the ground that's terrifying.

Damn, I hate heights.

*Sigh* Don't look.

Focus Tobias.

Climbing downward, I reached the cave and breathed a sigh of relief. 

Hmmm... The cave's larger than I thought. About a hundred feet wide and about thirty feet high, but it'd probably have to be this size for a basilisk to actually lay an egg in here.

Focus Tobias, remember the task.

Find the offspring, kill the offspring.

Glancing about immediately froze.

The baby basilisk was only 3-feet long and seemed to have barely been hatched for a few days... However, that wasn’t why I froze.

It's staring at me.

And not with the disinterest expression other monsters have... but, actually staring right at me.

I’ll admit, I’m terrified.

I never even consider this basilisk that's merely a few days old could bypass my ability so easily.

And, since it has that manual, it only need to decided to petrify me and I'll probably die. I need avoid any sudden movements...

It began wandering toward me.

Unable to back up, due to the cliff behind me, I simply stared planning my escape as the baby creature began to slither toward me.

Proceeded to wrap itself around my leg? A few stunned seconds later, I let out a sigh of relief. 

It's probably only discovered my ambient body heat or doesn't understand the concept of fighting yet.

Looking down at the offspring, I realized it was actually quite cute. 

Well, as cute as something with the possibility of growing into a 50-foot monstrosity can be. 

I’m going to feel horrible for killing it now, damn.

Sympathizing for this cute little bugger wasn’t exactly something I considering into my plans, but it needs to die... otherwise, I doubt I'll survive the coming zone.

I'm in a position to give up power for emotions like sympathy.

Still, this is a tactical advantage I hadn't considered beforehand. If I’m careful, I can safely bring it to the beacon before killing it.

Actually, that plan sounds much better than attempting to outrun or hide from a 50-foot basilisk trying to avenge its child.

So, the new plan! Step one, get near the teleportation beacon. Step two, kill the (definitely not cute) little monster. Step three, inherent basilisk’s strengthening manual and place my hand on the teleportation beacon to teleport away from the angry 50-foot basilisk.

Nodding to myself in admiration of my new plan, which would almost certainly go wrong somewhere along the line.

Time for step one, attempting to leave. Luckily, when I began walking the little monster stayed wrapped around my leg. Moving swiftly, I quickly managed to reach the teleport beacon.

That’s it? I'm here?

No wandering monsters suddenly decided to pop out and murder me?

Looking down on the little snake attached to my limbs... It... doesn't exactly look like a basilisk.

Am I mistaking an innocent snake for the basilisk’s offspring? I hope not…

Slowly taking my knife, whilst keeping it out of view of the snake's eyes.

I stabbed toward it head.

Clang... I slowly open my eyes… hadn’t realized I'd closed them.

Only to notice, the snake's completely fine? What?

Realize the problem, my knife simply isn’t sharp enough, nor strong enough, to stab through the baby’s scales to reach its brain.

Simultaneously, the offspring seems to realize my murderous motive and began instinctively calling out for its parent.

Quickly fixing my mistake, before the snake realizes its own mistake. I stabbed through the eye of the basilisk’s offspring.

It cries out in pain for, what's likely the first time in it's life… and, soon, was the last time in its life. As I followed through by stabbing deeper into it eye, destroying its brain.

... Judging by the murderous roar in the distance, its parent probably noticed.

Glancing downward toward the corpse of the snake, a pang of guilt shot through me... Suppressing it, I told the system to accept the Basilisk's Inheritance Manual.

<Do you wish to inherit ‘Basilisk Strengthening Manual’?>

<Yes/No>

<Confirmed…>

Spotting the basilisk in the distance, I activated the unperceivable part of my ability and poured mana into the teleportation beacon. The familiar flare of light from the teleport beacon carried me to the next area.

Mere seconds after leaving, a furious 50-foot basilisk appeared.

Staring down at the corpse of its offspring, it roared furiously.

As the roar echo throughout the zone, it frightened countless monsters and animals... Unfortunately, the basilisk was already too late to avenge its offspring.

 

65