Chapter 31: Showtime
1.7k 17 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Year 2, Day 91; 18 hours before Decima Game.]

“Wait, that’s it?” I asked interrupting Rin.

That doesn't make any sense. How can that be the end?

I still have so many questions!

Bombarded Rin with my questions. “If I died, how do you know my name? And why did you say your sister’s in trouble?”

Rin's wolf-ears twitched at the remarks.

“Your too impatient. I’m getting to it, I never said that explosion killed you.” Rin stated, clearly annoyed for interrupting her. “If it had, I wouldn’t know how Edward died…”

Scratching my head... whoops.

Uhh... my bad. 

Apologizing, I gestured for her to continue with the story.

[Abandoned Timeline; T-8 Days, 11 hours, 40 minutes.]

POV - Tobias

Coughing repeatedly from the ground as smoke filled my lungs from the explosion.

Damn… If I didn’t have both flame resistance and rapid regeneration, I would’ve definitely died.

What an annoying bastard.

Edward, huh?

I finally understand why Rin remember his name.

He's an annoying prick who constantly taunts people in combat.

And I understand now why Rin wanted to kill him.

He threatened her sister.

Oww… everywhere hurts.

If he wasn't already dead, I would definitely kill him.

Turning over to face the sky.

Judging by the state Edward managed to put Rin in, he must’ve had to have some sort of mental or spiritual ability.

<Player 4 has defeated and killed Player 9>

<Player 9 had four points...>

<Transferring…>

Ugh… Nobody cares about your stupid points.

Damn game.

We can't actually leave anyway.

Not until Kara and Stanley have enough points.

I brought myself to a sitting position and pain coursed through my back.

Glancing over toward Rin who was collapsed on the floor.

Compared to during the fight, she seems to be sleeping more peacefully now.

Whatever he’d done to Rin should’ve been canceled after he died.

Staring toward Rin’s sleeping form.

Laughing slightly to myself, guess I’ve finally managed to protect you for once.

Standing up, my body shot with pain again.

Gah… Regeneration, can’t you do your job properly?

<Points transferred…>

<Returning to Challenge Room>

Reappearing in the Challenge Room, I bend over next to Rin carefully checking on her.

Yeah, she seems to simply be sleeping.

The worst case scenario of Edward having a spiritual attack has probably been avoided.

Alright, I should avoid wasting time.

Picking up Rin, I began carrying her toward the Training Facilities.

The rooms have extreme time ratios.

Rin could be asleep for potentially weeks depending on the scale of mental damage.

That means those room can be used for recovering from such long-term wounds in a short period of time (compared to the outside world).

Well... I'll still have to experience that time... but, it's relatively shorter.

We seem to be the first people out of the challenge room.

Entering the Warding Training Room.

I begun preparing my bag 2.0 to be used as a pillow for Rin.

Afterward, I fashioned up some blankets from rugs laying about the training room.

Rin should be able to sleep comfortably while she rested.

Now, I should begin learning how to use wards…

Unfortunately, I immediately ran into a problem.

I don’t understand how to restrict the flow of environmental mana.

Hmmm... This might take longer than I initially thought…

[Abandoned Timeline; T-8 Days, 10 hours…]

POV Swap – Rin

It all seemed like a bad dream.

Kara infinitely dying without any way to stop it.

The worst part was despite knowing it was an illusion, she couldn’t stop herself from trying to save her sister.

Time repeating itself infinitely.

Stories told and forgotten.

Does something being illusionary make them less real?

She didn’t know… But, Rin couldn’t stop herself from trying.

If Rin stopped trying to save Kara, she might not be able to save her real sister when she escapes.

Finally catching onto some semblance of consciousness she opened her eyes.

Kara?!

In a frantic search, Rin rapidly glanced around the quiet room knocking off the blanket atop her.

It seemed to be a library of sorts.

Books were scattered everywhere throughout the room, the desk was covering in random yellow notes and empty plates and bowls.

What happened?

The illusionary dream slowly slipped from her memory only remaining as a distant nightmare.

I was fighting Edward. He threatened Kara… then?

I don’t remember?

Tilting her head sideways, she more calmly glanced about the room.

Had I won?

I hadn’t died, or I would’ve reloaded automatically.

Counting the dots on her hand… 10 points, it seems she’d won.

Rubbing her eyes, she slowly stood up and she walked toward the desk.

Picking up a random scribbled note, it seemed to be complete nonsense put together on a page.

Where am I?

After waking up more, Rin finally remembering her partner.

Where’s Tobias?

Searching the room, she discovered Tobias soundly sleeping in the corner surrounded by books.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Rin prepared to save… before remembering she hadn’t checked on Kara.

She needs to confirm her safety before saving.

Rin spent a decent amount of time searching through Kara’s room, then the various facilities.

Eventually, she reached the storage room.

Noticing blood lining the floor outside, she rushed into the room, “Kara!”

Inside Kara lay stabbed through the chest directly over her heart…

Somehow, Tobias was already here. He was leaning over her sister’s body with a bandage in hand and was clearly panicking.

The bloody knife that’d stabbed her sister on the floor beside him.

No… No…

No. No. No!

This can’t be happening.

Running over to her sister… She pushed Tobias out of the way.

Tearing up, she hugged Kara getting cover in blood.

Not again.

I’d taken precautions against this.

All those artifacts.

This… this can’t be happening.

Yet, despite the tears... despite the pain, Rin only felt numb inside.

As though she’d done this a million times already and the result was always the same.

“You can’t save her.” Tobias voiced aloud the words on constant repeat inside Rin’s mind.

“This was inevitable, don’t blame yourself.” Kara barely managed to speak, before continuing. “It’s fine, Rin. I tempted fate. It’s not anyone’s fault, but my own.”

“No, I can fix this. I can fix anything.” Rin argued, shaking her head… but, more to comfort and convince herself than Kara.

Coughing up blood, Kara retorted in a last defiant act, “Not… Not this time, Rin.”

Before she passed away... Succumbing to her wounds.

Rin simply sat there numb, before rage filled her heart.

Who? WHO KILLED HER?

Rin had been convinced it was Edward after last time, but Edward’s already dead.

It must’ve been someone else.

Demanding answers from Tobias ended up being unfruitful.

He’d apparently woken up shortly after she left.

Then, wandered out to search for her and found Kara there stabbed with a knife through her heart.

Unacceptable.

That isn’t enough information, I’ll need to reload to figure out more.

Screw the challenges.

Speaking up, Tobias said. “You won't be able to save her, Rin. The fate involves you.”

Staring back toward Tobias, I suddenly understood that he already knew about my power.

At least some fundamental parts of it.

And he also knew I wouldn’t give up.

Continuing to stare straight into his eyes, showcasing my determination. “I can try.”

Tobias stared into my eyes conflicting emotions shining through his golden eyes.

“I know… and you’ll fail repeatedly.” Replying as he closed his eyes… When Tobias opened them again, all doubt had disappeared from his eyes. “But! I… No, we can save her!”

A fire of hope relit in my chest, I asked. “How?”

Tobias replied, his voice burning with a determination similar to my own, “We cheat fate.”

[Year 2, Day 91; 17 hours before Decima Game.]

Hearing the conclusion to Rin’s tale.

I suddenly understood, why I revealed my knowledge and why I decided it was time to reveal that knowledge.

Why I told Rin my name.

If I hadn’t, I probably wouldn’t go along with this plan.

It was certainly necessary.

Rin was desperate and needed hope.

In relation to saving Kara, though, I’m more confused.

Cautiously inquiring, “What did I mean by cheat fate?”

Rin simply shrugged and replied, imitating my voice, “I should understand what it means when it’s necessary and… Sorry Rin, I can’t tell you clearly or it won’t work.”

How unhelpful…

Future me, your completely useless.

I bet you didn’t even have a proper plan.

Instead, you simply dumped this problem on my shoulders.

Sighing to myself... No, I’ve got to assume I had a proper plan.

Cheat fate

If I did have plan, I would’ve chosen those words extremely carefully.

Cheat means swindle, trick, confuse, or use unfair methods.

Fate obviously implies Kara’s power.

Sometime during the Decima Game I must have realized something important.

What is it? What did I figure out?

I need more time.

Unless…

Suddenly breaking free from my mental tangent I asked, “Did I leave myself any other hints?”

Rin simply shook her head and said, “Now’s not the time.”

So I left other hints, but she won’t tell me... yet.

Going back to what I said.

Why would informing Rin of the plan make it not work?

I need to be in the same mindset as future me to figured this out.

“When we arrive, I’m going to leave all the challenges to you.” I stated to Rin. Tapping my forehead, I continued, “I’ll need extra time to think and those training facilities provide the perfect place to do that.”

It would be best to work in the same environment that provide the inspiration on how to cheat fate. So Warding Training Room it is.

…And, with such extreme time dilation, I should have enough time to rediscover the method to cheat fate.

I have three goals.

First, rediscover how to cheat fate, and save Kara sister.

Second, win the Decima Game along with Stanley and Kara.

And finally, the optional objective, discover who killed Kara.

It’s show-time people.

The Decima Game begins now!

*Cough…*

Right…

Uhhh, actually… it begins in 17 hours.

…Got overhyped in the heat of the moment.

 

Spoiler

Well, I've been writing almost the entire day and this seemed like a good place to stop...

This chapter's short, but contains lots of planned content.

...Also, normally, I have chance to write over several days so that also contributed to the shorter chapter.

Ugh... I sorta wanted to pump out another chapter to get rid of the cliffhanger... Instead, I somehow made it worse.

Sorry! Seems you and I will have to wait till Friday night.

[collapse]
50