Chapter 39: Talent
1.6k 12 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[T-2 days, 20 hours…]

POV - Tobias

Today’s the last day here, at least according to Stanley who came to see me earlier. Apparently everyone has already acquired 10 points. I’ve spent most of the time here in the warding room.

That means it's been approximately a year?

As for what I’ve been doing for the past year or so, mainly experimenting with warding. Specifically, I’ve been focusing on activation conditions. Also spent time reprogramming my musket to have several settings I can easily switch between in combat.

The days have gone by rather quickly and quietly. Rin and Kara left at times to compete in activities. If Rin had to reset to deal with people dying, she hasn’t mentioned it.

Why exactly are you explaining what we spent the last year doing?

Well, I got so caught up in experimenting that I completely forgot to explain as we went along.

That… doesn’t answer my question. Why explain it in your head?

It’s just a habit. It doesn’t actually mean anything.

Then why didn’t you mention your ‘physical activities’ with Rin or ‘playing’ with Kara.

I was only sparring with Rin and playing board games with Kara. Seriously, God-hunter, don’t say it like that. People might misunderstand.

That attitude's why I’m getting annoyed, there’s no one to misunderstand. You’re talking to yourself.

*Cough...*

Anyway, Stanley mentioned everyone planned on leaving in a few minutes. That means I have to pack up my stuff and prepare to leave.

Granted, I don’t actually have much to pack. Mainly my various notes about plans for the future.

Right, I hadn’t mentioned that. I spent some time creating plans for the future.

I won’t be able to continue onward to the Fourth Zone unless I acquire another source of power. The only accessible place (I know of) to obtain another would be the First Zone. Previously, I thought I needed to figure out a way to enter there.

Fortunately, I discovered a solution.

Train a disciple and get them to obtain it for you.

God-hunter! Don’t steal my lines!

You were taking too long.

*Incoherent mumbling…* Releasing a breath in anger. Fine.

Yes, I plan to find a disciple in the Residential Zone. Have them swap over to Hell Difficulty, acquire an item in the First Zone that grants abilities and give it to me. Course, I’d have to train them to ensure survival and provide lifesaving artifacts to help them obtain it.

Currently, though, it’s the best option to continue onward past the Third Zone. Assuming this prize for winning the Decima Game won’t help with that.

Stepping out the warding room with my various possessions, I noticed Rin, Kara, and Stanley waiting outside. Casually questioning, I asked Stanley. “Finally ready to leave this place?”

“Everyone has ten points, nobody will be left behind.” Stanley replied tersely.

Okay, well… that’s more serious than usual. Turning toward Rin, “Everything sorted?”

Rin nodded, walked up to me and grabbed my arm.

Why is everyone acting awkward? Stanley’s acting tense unlike his normal carefree personality and, Rin, you don’t need to be holding my arm that tightly.

Awkwardly walking with Rin clinging to my arm. We gathered together with everyone else in the main lobby.

A man yelled toward the center, “Cat. Ten points, open the exit.”

Schrödinger appeared projected in the center, meowing. “You sure?” The man nodded in response and Schrödinger continue, “Fine… Nyou’re all so boring.”

Flicking its tail toward the center a portal opened up.

A portal?

Why a create a portal?

That’s… suspicious. A portal shouldn’t be created unless you’re transporting an extremely large load or traveling extraordinarily far across the universe. That can’t be right. Interrupting, I asked, “Where are you teleporting us to?”

Schrödinger meowed in response, “To nyou’re prize.”

… If Rin wasn’t tightly gripping onto my arm, I would have attempted to punch him again. That isn’t a proper answer. It’s a response with no substance.

Flicking his tail toward the portal almost everyone has gone through already, Schrödinger questioned. “Nyou want to be left behind?”

Evasion this time… I don’t trust him. “Teleport us back to where we arrived from.”

Schrödinger shook his head and stated, “Impossible~ nyot enough mana.”

Rin pulled on my shirt toward the portal, but I continued. “Don’t feed me that crap. The amount of mana wasted on time compression alone means you can’t be lacking mana for teleportation.”

Schrödinger argued, “Nyou’re misunderstanding. We’re in an unstable pocket dimension, time compression is a natural characteristic of this dimension. There’s nyo mana left. The portal used everything, also… ten seconds till it closes.”

Speaking as rapid as possible while Rin dragged me toward the portal, “Impossible! The teleportation couldn’t have taken us to another dimension. It wasn’t powerful enough.”

Schrödinger explained, “The token was made of extremely pure condensed mana, it powered the teleportation. Too bad, only two people joined me in death. Unless you want to stay?”

Rin didn’t give me chance to respond and dragged me through the portal. We arrived at an unfamiliar location. It was dark, but I could make out a fancy gold chair, similar to a throne.

Well, Schrödinger explanation explains why there was a portal. To escape an unstable dimension a portal would’ve been required. I didn’t realize we were in one before so I didn't consider the possibility.

I still have many unanswered questions. I should’ve inquired earlier. Also… Schrödinger said two people joined him in death? Didn’t Stanley mention three people died? The twins and their killer.

Is their killer still alive?

Focus. Find the prize, Tobias.

Actually, let’s ask Rin. She might know where it is. Meanwhile, Rin was uncomfortably close to my arm. Nearly her entire body was pressing against it.

My eye twitch slightly, I patted her on the head while indicating for her to let go. She mumbled something incomprehensible and finally let go.

Lighting up the surroundings with warding, this place seemed to be some type of abandoned throne room. Completely abandoned, considering the spider webs around this place. Nobody was to be seen. Not even Kara who should’ve come through the portal mere seconds before us.

“You think anything would happen if we sat on the throne?” I vocalized my thoughts for Rin.

Rin silently gestured throughout the abandoned room before replying, “Doubtful.”

Watching as a spider scampered across a web hanging from the ceiling, away from my light. I realized, logically, I found it doubtful too.

Yet… something inside me screams the throne’s important, valuable.

Extremely valuable.

That only put me on higher alert. Having instincts tell you something is dangerous and having them tell you something is valuable are completely different concepts.

One implies, be careful. The other triggers greed and decreases likelihood of caution.

Like a moth to a flame, certain instincts are far more deadly than any trap.

Walking toward the throne until stopping five steps away from it, I asked Rin who continued walking toward it. “Do you get the feeling that the throne is extremely important or valuable.”

Rin turned her gaze toward me, lingering for only a second before replying, “No.” and turned her gaze back toward the throne.

Just me then.

Hmmm… If it’s a magical trap stirring these feelings of importance in me, it could be dangerous… on the other hand, if it’s actually valuable I could be missing an opportunity.

Rin reached out to touch it.

“Don’t!” I abruptly yelled realizing she planned on touching it.

Rin stopped, retracing her hand and sent me a questioning glance.

“Seriously, Rin. Treat your life more carefully. I understand that after dying enough it might feel like you’ll always come back, but even your ability isn’t omnipotent. If you’re attacked by a soul attack you won’t come back.” I scolded her lack of caution.

Rin’s wolf ears focused on me and she raised an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced by my logic.

Attempting to persuade her, I stated. “I have better regeneration from wounds and resistance to soul attacks due to that pendant you gave me. Even if I do end up dying, you can reload to save me. I’m a far better test subject for potential dangers.”

Instead of verbally protesting, Rin reached out and touched the throne to state her disagreement.

Fortunately, it seemed my paranoia was for nothing. Rin was fine and turned toward me sending a ‘told you so’ look.

Rin, no danger this time doesn’t change the soundness of my logic.

Still… It really isn’t a trap?

Poking the throne myself to double check, but nothing happened. My instinct is tell me to sit on it…

The trap might only trigger if someone sits on it… “Have you saved it recently?” I abruptly asked.

Rin replied automatically, “Before the game master opened the portal.”

“Game master?” I asked, somewhat confused, before realizing what Rin meant. “Oh… Schrödinger.”

“His name’s Schrödinger?” Rin said, beginning to search other parts of the room while I stayed beside the throne.

“It’s what I called him.” I stated, taking a seating on the throne.

<Talent creation available>

<14 Decima Game Points>

Talent creation?

Realizing this is probably more important than I initially believed. I called, “Rin, this throne seems to be important!”

After listening to the situation, Rin calmly stated. “Test it out. If we regret it, I can reload.”

“Okay, give me a minute.” I replied, attempting to figure out anything about talents.

Talents… talents…. Why call it talent instead of something else, such as ability? Unless it’s literally a talent.

Talent… I would define talent as a field where someone excels… But, attempting to change someone’s talent? Depending on the talent couldn’t that potentially completely alter someone’s personality.

… Hmmm, let’s see if it’ll accept ‘lucky’ as a talent.

<Acquire talent ‘lucky’?>

<Cost: 10 Decima Game points>

Hmmm… seems my definition was wrong. Lucky isn’t exactly a field someone can excel at. Maybe, it’s a weaker version of an ability?

Let’s try… ‘water manipulation’.

<Acquire talent ‘water manipulation’?>

<Cost: 5 Decima Game points>

What about spatial manipulation?

<Acquire talent ‘spatial manipulation’?>

<Cost: 100 Decima Game points>

Testing various options I eventually decided to go with…

<Acquire talent ‘Analyze’?>

<Cost: 7 Decima Game points>

No idea how it’s going to work, but more information is usually better. Lucky is another decent option… but I don’t want to blindly trust in luck.

It’s just a test anyway.

Confirming the acquisition, a loading bar appeared.

<Confirmed>

<…5%>

<…30%>

<…70%>

<Complete>

<Talent: 'Analyze' acquired.>

Attempting to acquire information about what 'analyze' does from the system turned out fruitless. Still, usually abilities are user friendly… attempted to activate 'analyze' on Rin. I felt a barrage of information pop into my brain.

{Rin Paradox – Extremely dangerous, do not engage.}

… That’s completely unhelpful. I paid 7 Decima points for it to tell me not to fight Rin?

Does it work on myself as well?

{Tobias Amadeus – Equal strength, beware of hidden attacks.}

Hmmm… if it provides a vague idea what to look out for, it could be useful actually. Especially for total strangers.

Rin was completely focused on me and asked, “Finished?”

Nodding in response, I briefly explained the process to her. She began to browse various talents.

I don’t really understand what Schrödinger meant when he said the prize gets weaker when more people escape. Did he mean more points would be earned when less people escape? Probably, I suppose it doesn’t matter now.

While waiting for Rin to choose her talent, I tried out ‘analyze’ on various items in this room. No response came, until I tried it on a spider.

{Spider – Weak, engage at will}

It probably only works on living things. Still, it’s an interesting talent. Hopefully, ‘analyze’ will be useful in finding a disciple.

When Rin finally stood up, she’d chosen her ability. After some inquiry, I learned Rin had noted my concern earlier and chosen a talent related to soul defense. Although, apparently, she was forced to edit it until it was a cheaper version of the talent and the system is less than forthcoming about information, so we still have no clue how effective it is.

Still, considering this circumstances, talent creation as a prize is actually extremely valuable.

Now we only need to figure out where everyone else is… and how to leave.

Quickly glancing around the room.

…Well, there does seem to be an exit over there, a small hallway with a light beyond it. I doubt it will be easy to return to the third zone, though.

Suppose I’ll find out.

45