7. Decision
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Ren’s eyes widened. The number of cities were limited and from what he knew, the closer they were to the border, the lesser the number of the cities. He had served in the northern border for a long time, so he was very familiar with the villages around it. There was no big city and only smaller cities existed.

He shook his head, but Ye Ning pursed her lips.

“There’s no way we can spend so much money. It’ll be better if we search for a doctor to check on your condition and give you medicine that can heal your throat. That way, you will be able to speak again.”

Well, that was true.

Xiao Ren staggered inside and walked out while bringing his mud soaked bag.

“Do you want to wash it too?”

Xiao Ren nodded.

“Ok. I’ll bring water.” Ye Ning walked hurriedly to the well and started to draw water out. She put it into basin and poured the water to Xiao Ren’s bag to wash it over and over. Due to her limited strength, she had to go over a few times before she could clear all the mud in Xiao Ren’s bag.

It was then Ye Ning realized that there were actually a lot of bronze knives in Xiao Ren’s bag. Even though she had guessed that Xiao Ren must be someone rich, she never expected to see so much money inside his bag.

“This…” Ye Ning was speechless when she saw the row of bronze knives. “Brother, are you a noble family?”

There were noble families in Zhou Dynasty. At this period of time, they were called as gong (duke), hou (marquis), bo (count), zi (viscount) and nan (baron). Each nobility had different power based on their rank and naturally gong was the highest while nan was the lowest.

Xiao Ren furrowed his brows. He shook his head lightly, but then he recalled that he was conferred nobility title upon becoming commander back then. Even though he did gain bigger land, he didn’t really have vassal or subordinates. Since he was a former slave, not many respected him and Xiao Ren himself didn’t really care.

After all, all he cared about was to serve in the frontline.

“But this…”

Ye Ning knew that Xiao Ren couldn’t speak, but she was nevertheless very curious about who he was. There were not many people who could just take out several dozen bronze knives from their pocket.

She contemplated a bit as she brought the money and sheath inside her brother room. At the same time, she noticed that there was also a bamboo strips that was string together. There were some words written, but since Ye Ning was not a literary, she couldn’t read it.

“I’ll talk to my brother when he returned back.”

Xiao Ren nodded and lied back on the bed. He could feel his body already felt much better than before. However, he couldn’t possibly allow himself to move around so much because his wounds were not closing properly.

It was night time when Ye Lei returned. He must have spent the entire day fishing because he carried a basket filled with five carps. The size of the carps was not big, but it was more than enough for them.

“I managed to get five carps today, so we can eat two. I’ll trade two with Liu and the other one is for our meal tomorrow,” Ye Lei reported to his sister.

Ye Ning nodded. “Brother, can we head over to the city?”

“Go to city?” Ye Lei was stunned. He looked at Ye Ning in confusion. “Why do you suddenly want to head over to the city? It’s not like it was impossible, but we can’t do anything even if we go there.”

People in the city didn’t accept trade and would only accept money. Some villagers could head over to the city to sell what they made, but it was usually at a large amount. After all, even a single bronze knife worth a lot.

Ye Ning looked in the direction of her brother’s room, where Xiao Ren was staying for the time being. “I think he’s not an ordinary man.”

“Why do you think so?”

“He has a lot of money, Brother.”

Hearing that, Ye Lei’s eyes narrowed. When he found a man lying on top of that log, he was unwilling to help at first. However, he still remembered his father’s teaching that he should help others in need.

Because of that, he pulled the man to the shore. It was then he realized the man was wearing armor. Even though the armor was already tattered, Ye Lei was sure that the man must be a soldier or guard.

From Xiao Ren’s young age, he thought that Xiao Ren was nothing more than an ordinary soldier that was lost or probably some unlucky guard. However, those people wouldn’t have a lot of money. At most, they would have a few bronze knives in their belongings because of their payment.

And that money would be used up quickly to fill their needs.

“How much?” Ye Lei asked warily.

“A dozen.”

Dozen?

“Is he a noble?”

“He told me that he’s not a noble when I asked him the same question. But since he has money, I thought that it’ll be good if we can bring him to city and find doctor to check his condition,” Ye Ning expressed her thoughts.

Ye Lei nodded in agreement. He knew that it would be better for Xiao Ren to head over to city. The only doctor in this village was only capable to heal ordinary wounds. Even if he brought Xiao Ren over, he was not sure that the doctor would be able to heal him.

“In that case, I’ll borrow the ox cart tomorrow from Liu’s father. You should prepare meals for us tomorrow too.”

“Leave it to me, Brother.”

“Good. Now, rest.”

“Ok.”

Ye Lei kept the fishes in the bucket filled with water that he had prepared. At the very least, he needed to keep it fresh until tomorrow morning. He also ate his dinner; which Ye Ning had prepared.

After he had done, he entered his room and noticed Xiao Ren was looking in his direction.

“We’re going to city tomorrow to bring you to a doctor. Don’t kick up a fuss, ok?”

Xiao Ren rolled his eyes and turned his body around. He had long gotten used to get beaten up due to his profession. After two days, he could already move his body around even though there was still some pain remained.

‘Just who are you?’

Ye Lei really wanted to ask that question aloud, but he knew that it would be foolish of him to ask when Xiao Ren was unable to speak. He sighed and get on his bed to sleep.

0