13. Gathering Information
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waiting to heal could be very boring.

Xiao Ren didn’t have anything to do. Ye Ning would be the one taking care of the household necessities while Ye Lei was busy working outside. Somehow, Ye Lei manage3d to earn a job very quickly. While the pay was not that great, it was more than enough for someone like him who usually barely earnt anything.

It was only the second day for Xiao Ren to stay in Physician Hong’s house when he already felt really bored. Back in the military days, he would never allow himself to be laidback like this because there were so many things to do. And as a slave, he had to follow his master’s wishes no matter how his condition was.

“You’re not allowed to do anything hard, Mister Xiao.”

Glancing to the side, Xiao Ren saw Jun walking inside. It was the time to change his bandage with a new one.

‘I know,’ Xiao Ren thought with a grunt.

Jun did his work quickly. With the help of medicine, Xiao Ren was healing at a very fast rate. It was to the point that Jun was wondering whether he was truly human or not because his speed was a bit too quick.

Xiao Ren tapped the table, urging Jun to quickly finish it.

“What do you plan to do for the time being, Mister Xiao?” Jun was pulled back to reality as he asked. His hand quickly moved to bandage Xiao Ren’s wounded body once more.

Pointing outside, Xiao Ren made motion with his two fingers. It looked like human walking but the human had no head.

Jun narrowed his eyes. “With your wounded body, it’s not a good idea to walk around in the city.”

Xiao Ren shrugged. He knew that it wouldn’t do him anything good to walk around when he hadn’t fully healed. However, he couldn’t wait any longer to find more information about what had happened in Luoyang along with the northern border.

If that bastard General Wang dared to lay his hands on his soldiers, Xiao Ren would not hesitate to kill him.

Seeing that Xiao Ren didn’t have any intention to retract back his decision, Jun sighed. He sat down and looked at Xiao Ren. “In that case, I’ll answer your inquiry first. I believe you don’t want to walk around the city just to sightsee.”

‘He’s sharp.’

Probably, Jun also realized that Xiao Ren’s identity was not normal based on the bamboo scroll and the money he brought. Xiao Ren still couldn’t trust this man completely, but he also needed some information.

Xiao Ren made motion to write and Jun quickly took a few strips of bamboo. “There’s bamboo forest not far from the city. Master always ask us to take a few every few days for him to take record of medicine. I know how to read some words, so I might be able to answer your question.”

Hearing that, Xiao Ren nodded. He waited as Jun prepared the ink and brush before he started to write on the bamboo slip. There was not much space in the small bamboo slip, so he tried to convey his meaning in simple words.

Luoyang.

Jun’s eyes narrowed when he saw the word. He looked at Xiao Ren with arched eyebrows but chose not to ask more. There was upheaval in the capital city, Luoyang just a few days before.

“The king died,” Jun said. “I don’t mean King Zhengding but King Ai of Zhou.”

Xiao Ren’s heart turned cold when he heard the news. He already knew about the death of King Ai of Zhou because it was his duty to guard the king in the past. Unfortunately, he couldn’t do his work well and ended up letting those moles enter and killed.

If only he could turn back time, he would scold himself for being so stupid.

But now that he was given the chance to return back to Luoyang when he was healed, he would make sure that the general paid for what he had done.

“M…Mister Xiao?”

The call alarmed Xiao Ren as he retracted his killing intent. For a moment, he was thinking about that general and probably many others of his friend who chose to side with the second prince instead of the first prince.

Flashing an apologetic smile, Xiao Ran beckoned Jun to continue.

However, Jun was not in the right mood to continue speaking. That sudden burst of killing intent took all of his attention away. It felt as if he was pressed and there was nothing he could do but to stay in his place. Even speaking felt so difficult.

“It’s….”

Xiao Ren waited patiently. He could guess that these people here must have never encountered real battle before, so they were unable to withstand even the slightest pressure from his killing intent. After all, he had already killed countless people during his campaign.

It took Jun some time before he could finally return back to his sense. He slowly continued his words. “His Highness King Si of Zhou, former Prince Ji Shu, is the current King. His coronation will be hold soon or might have passed already.”

Seeing the confusion on Xiao Ren’s face, Jun quickly continued, “We always receive news one to three days late at the north because of the distance. I only receive the news about His Highness’s coronation two days ago, so I’m not sure the exact date when he would be crowned.”

Xiao Ren nodded. He knew that every pieces of news usually took a long time to relay because of the distance. There was no method to deliver news quickly in this period of time aside from using horse and then rushed to their destination.

If the piece of news was received two days ago, Xiao Ren knew that there was high possibility that the coronation was already proceeding.

‘There are four princes in total. Are the two other princes will stay quiet as their second brother ascend to the throne?’

Xiao Ren’s eyes narrowed.

He had to find a method to return back to the capital city as fast as possible. But not before he made sure his soldiers were safe back at the north.

0