Chapter 60 – Sweet Temptations
3k 20 130
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as I begin seeing her drop to the ground, I grasp her shoulders and say, “Please stand up, you don’t have to do that!”

Almost immediately, her back straightens like a rod. Before she can scream out her apologies, I hold my hands over her mouth.

“Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait, please don’t say anything!”

She goes silent, but her eyes are wide and shaking. Slowly removing my hands from her mouth, I take a breath.

“Okay… First, could I get your name?”

I can see her swallow, before speaking. “Shi, Senior.”

She still looks fear-filled and dismayed.

Damn, if this is how people react to perceived disrespect… what will I have to do in that scenario? I’m not sure I’m ready for the levels of degradation that I’ve seen people almost immediately resort to.

“Okay, could we go to a non-public area where we could briefly talk in private?” She nods and then stiffly walks us behind the curtain.

Before I follow her in, I direct the spider to stand near the curtain, but far enough away that it isn’t threatening. Shi raises a hand to wave away the other guard on the other side of the curtain, before opening it up for me.

What is revealed to me is something that in some ways is even more remarkable than the entertainment street on the other side of this building.

People moving like a river past each other, on what appears to be an area far larger than what it should be. Older women bark orders or pull younger women aside, redirecting them to the back of various shops.

Other women have stations set up with varieties of clothes that women come by and pick up. An entire section of the street is dedicated to what I can only call a prep area. Scores of older women get the incoming young women cleaned up quickly and with what I assume to be this world’s form of makeup and perfume, setup to head to their next ‘posting’.

So, in the few moments I stand there, mouth agape, I can see that some people have come out of the building on the right, gotten undressed on the way to the opposite building, come out wet, dried off and touched up by the ‘preppers’, and then sent on their way back into the show buildings.

Along the edge of the buildings closest to the entertainment street, are women with their ears to what seems to be listening devices. Occasionally, I will see them call out to other women, who will rush into the building, who quickly return with an angry or rarely, bruised woman in hand.

And they are in a constant flux and near nakedness.

Needless to say, I’m a little shocked.

As I tear my eyes away from this scene to look at Shi, the guard, I remember that I’m still in a bit of a conundrum. Her face still has traces of anxiousness, but the dumbfounded look on my face must have eased that a bit.

She leads me to one building on the other side of the street from the show buildings.

Before going into the building, I can’t help but look back at the street, to see how the street seems so disproportionately large behind the curtain. 

A glance back at the entrance shows me the street coming from the entrance is a normal size, though it appears to gradually widen as it and the buildings on the other side of the street (away from the entertainment street), have been stripped away slightly.

Peering into the distance, I can see that it returns to a normal street size down the way. What is shocking, is that the setups I see on this street, seem to be repeated far in the distance. Over and over again.

However, the setup closest to the entrance seems to be the most elaborate and hectic, by far.

Finally, heading into the building with Shi, she closes the door behind us and asks me to sit while she prepares tea for me.

Sitting down, I only have to wait for a small moment, before she brings tea out to me. Somehow, she’s also wearing something different, an outfit resembling a silky blue dress, but more tight fitting and casual. For some reason, I still get the feeling she could kick butt in the dress, without it tearing. It looks great on her.

She stands there silent, looking at me.

Ah, right. I did ask her not to talk earlier.

“Sorry about that, you can speak freely. I just didn’t want to draw too much attention, as we talk.”

“Thank you, Senior.”

She stays silent after that.

Right. I said I wanted to talk to her in private. I guess the first thing I should check, is why this bracelet caused such a reaction in her.

 

“So, could you tell me more about this bracelet and what it means? When Madame Wu Qing gave it to me, she didn’t really explain its importance…”

Her eyes widen and her mouth opening slightly, she seems to come to a realization.

She quickly bites her lips and says, “This specific type of bracelet is an indication that you are an important ally or business partner of our group. We also give this to certain Revolving Heavenly Light Core Disciples. It allows you access to our highest quality services and gives you a discount for our medium tier services.”

Her voice gets a little softer, before continuing, “You also receive dedicated service and complementary basic services, including sleeping accommodations. Normally, I would have gotten together a group of our concierge service for you and provide for your needs and wants. However, I wanted to respect your wishes to not draw attention.

“Anyone who disrespects members of this group is, at the very least, demoted and heavily reprimanded for not treating you according to your station.”

O-oh… I’m glad I stopped her before things escalated and she was experienced enough to understand what I want. I’ll need to make it clear that I hold her in no way accountable for not knowing that I had this bracelet.

“Thanks, that was exactly what I hoping for. Sorry about surprising you with all of that.”

Her eyes get fearful again, “Senior… please don’t apologize to someone like me, I’m just a guard for this area. You shouldn’t demean yourself for me. It was I, that have eyes, but failed to recognize Mount Tai.”

Ugh, how do I get past this wall? It looks like it’s difficult for apologies to be accepted for this situation…

So, what should I say to diffuse the situation?

Hmm…Let me try a different method.

 

“Ahem. You shouldn’t be faulted for such a thing. For I was obscuring my status in the first place. In fact, you should be commended for responding so quickly, once I revealed my true status. It shows the vast experience and flexibility that you have.”

I can practically feel the laughter from far away, if someone was listening.

Sigh.

This version of events does seem to ease things for her, though. Her brows squint for the briefest moment, as I can see the tension in her shoulders relax.

I continue, “With that in mind, I would like to be treated like a normal person. I actually come from a humble background and being treated as a higher up actually puts me on edge, somewhat.

“Is there any way we can go back to how you were treating me at the entrance? Like not calling me Senior? My name is actually James.”

I can’t help but rub the back of my neck as I say this.

“Honestly I could also use the help, to get acquainted with this area as I move through it.”

Ah, wait. I’m sure she has her own responsibilities. I shouldn’t be dragging her away from them.

“Yes, Young Master James, I can definitely do that. If you would prefer, though, I could get someone more adequate to help you.”

Her face looking towards the ground, shifting from one foot to the other, she seems to be unsure and nervous.  

“No way! I would much rather be with you.”

Her eyes go wide in what I think is pleasant surprise, as I realize how that might have come off.

“I-I mean, in the sense that I just want you near me. Ah, fuck. Not like that… I mean protecting me…” I can feel myself rambling a bit, heat coming to my face. I go silent to stop myself from saying more

Shit. This definitely isn’t coming out right. I must look like a fool.

 

However, this seems to actually make her relax more than anything else I’ve said.

I can see the hint of a smile, as she finally looks me in the eyes. There’s a softer light in hers, as she seemingly regains the slightest bit of playfulness from earlier.

With a chuckle, “Well, if you are okay with someone like me, I would be honored to provide services for you.”

 

That’s a weird way to say it, but I guess that works.

Unless, if what she means is…

She begins sashaying toward me with a sly smirk, validating my thoughts.

As she moves sultrily to me, I find myself backing up slightly. The look in her eye has changed to something akin to a fire. She appears to be having a fun time.

Wait.

What am I scared of? Granted, I’ve never been in a physical romantic relationship, so I have no idea how to handle this.

She gets closer.

 

But I think I know what’s stopping me.

I don’t want it to happen like this. I want it to be with someone I care about, that actually cares about me.

Her breath is upon my ear. Man, she smells so nice.

I need to tell her what I actually want. ‘Let’s head out through the area, together.’

Just that.

 

 

 

“Could I get a massage?”

 

Huh, that didn’t come out right.

130