Chapter 249 – Approaching Vultures
806 13 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Surprisingly enough, everything goes smoothly from there. I have everyone grab their stuff and shuffle over to where the ex-Yellow Sashes members have the carriages.

Some of the Yellow Sash members, like Shi and the qi cultivations experts, lead the way, directing people as necessary. All according to my words and actions.

550+ lives are now in my hands. A huge responsibility.

That vast majority of which are seen as wastes. Not worth investing in or even to look at, in the cultivator society.

I hope to change that. Both as a way to improve myself and them.

I’ll need to be better, to make sure that they grow in the right way.

My eyes drift over to the more well-ordered groups that have separated themselves from the others.

I am a bit surprised by some of the noble groups that joined. There are certainly more barriers for them to make such a decision to go under someone of my status.

I’m not a noble, though it is theorized I may be.

I’ve definitely made myself at partial odds with several groups.

And the way I focus on commoners is likely to be grating to some of them.

There are certainly many benefits to being with me, but those are pretty evident at this point. It’s just the fact that they could see past it, is the surprise for me.

Outside Shi Ji’s group, there are several other nobles and groups that have joined.

But before I can mull over their reasonings for joining, my attention is stolen back away by two blurs; one silvery and the other a shiny black, that basically sprinted at me after I finished directing people.

I’m basically tackled by both of them, and even with my increased strength, it appears they haven’t been slacking in their training, as I stumble back a few steps from the force of it.

Ai is the first speak out.

“James, you did it! And so soon too…”

I feel a bit confused by what she means, as we didn’t discuss me starting a personal group in our previous talks.

She buries her head into my chest as Lin clarifies.

“Gong’s been keeping us informed… of…of…

“…Sniff”

Not this again…

“Sniff. Sniff.”

“Sniff.”

But, despite my initial horror and to my surprise, they both take a final sniff and then back away.

“Wow, you smell fantastic today.”

“Yeah, I missed this smell.”

Ai and Lin say this casually.

 …

Is it bad I’m a little disappointed there wasn’t a bigger reaction?

Yeah, that’s bad.

It makes sense, though. They’ve been with me from the start. And even with normal pheromones, after a while, you get used to it. It still has a positive effect.

Likely, the same thing will happen to the people in the personal group, eventually.

Lin continues speaking, her eyes locked on mine. Though, there’s a slight increase in intensity to both of theirs.

“Yeah, Gong kept us updated on what you were doing and how things were going.

“… including the bad stuff.”

“Yeah, to encounter so many issues on the way here. It looks like our suspicions were correct, that you might have a tough time of things.”

I mean, we planned for some obstruction… but they don’t even know everything that happened.

And we can’t even talk about it directly out here. Gongs name is safe to say, but there always might be eyes and ears watching, especially now that we are ‘on the map’.

Like me, their eyes show their wish to convey other things that can’t be freely said here.

Luckily for us, the tower has an area deep underground that even the stronger elders would have trouble seeing or listening into. And I’ll have my scan on high alert for anything outside or above that.

We just have to get there first.

 

However, almost as if on cue, my scan picks up a presence flying on a sword towards the people loading into the carriages.

I quickly scope out their appearance.

A middle-aged appearing, black-haired man with a stoic look on his face. Despite this image, all I’m getting from him are bad vibes.

The timing is too coincidental.

And based on his flight speed, lack of strain, and bearing, I believe he is, at the least, a low Core Formation elder.

I turn to Ai and Lin with a serious look, showing them something is up.

“It looks like those won’t be the only bad things that have come up. It looks like we have company.”

My eyes turn over toward the carriages and I can see their eyes harden in response.

I can hear Ai mutter to Lin something.

“It really is one thing after another…”

… It really is, isn’t it?

I dash over there and a few of the people going into the vehicles pause, seeing my steadfast focus on the horizon. Normally, I would try to hide this knowledge, but my scan had previously informed me that this ‘ability’ of mine to see into the distance, is already known in the information sectors.

With me taking so obvious an action, many people both out of and in the carriages pause to look in the same one. Occasionally, whispering to each other.

Soon enough, their curiosity is sated.

The elder in question soars into view and lands before me.

I’m not a fool, despite my silly actions from time to time.

 I immediately bow and indicate for all of those around me to do so, as well. Most don’t require the prompting.

“Esteemed elder, thank you for gracing us with your presence!”

My scan picks up a lazy nod, as if this is normal for him… which it is, in this culture. I just still have to get used to bowing my head constantly.

I can practically feel his eyes running over me and I double check that my anti-spiritual sense covering is active and working.

While it primarily meant to combat the spiritual sense of a middle stage foundation establishment cultivator, that is against an actively hostile enemy. Against a higher tier cultivator, it would be like a paper in front of a knife, but it’s still a barrier.

The act of having a barrier there shows that you will know if they try to break through it. Especially, being a new cultivator, a good deal may assume that there will be little to no defense for their more subtle techniques. The barrier I setup prevents that.

And just as expected, I feel a tiny probe at my defenses. Nothing that could breach, but I can see his eyes widen and I raise my stance just enough to meet his eyes.

The message is clear.

‘I know what you just tried.’

His face turns red with bluster as he sputters something out.

“I-I see the rumors are true about Senior Song taking on a capable disciple.”

He catches himself and comes up with a widely used excuse.

“It’s heartening that the youths of today are up to par and passed my little test.”

 

I bow my head down again and speak out in a respectful tone.

“I’m grateful to have impressed you, Elder.”

And I say nothing else. An awkward silence covers the area.

In this situation, normally the thing to add would be, ‘Is there anything we/I can assist you with?’

 

But I seriously feel some bad vibes from this guy. Saying such a thing opens the doors for him to validly take claim to something.

However, remaining with our heads bowed and allowing him to take the lead in the conversation is another form of respect. One that allows us to not offer anything, but requires him to ask. Giving him the knowledge that we don’t trust him, but still respect him. Giving him face.  

Which are all things that I learned from the book I read in the library that referenced the interactions between nobles, cultivators, and for this society.

Unfortunately for us, he plows ahead.

“Well. I’d like to welcome you to our sect. Having such a promising individual join is a joyous occasion. And maybe discuss some of the curious things I’ve heard in private. Perhaps you could show me some of the…”

He freezes in mid-sentence, his back straightening like a rod. Sweat piles on his brow.

I feel a bit confused before my scan picks up movement from far away, but moving in fast. A recognizable person who brings an automatic smile to my face.

His lips seem to have suddenly dried, and he stutters something out.

“I-I’ll wait here, as I’ve gotten word that Senior Song is approaching.”

 

She’s been watching this whole time, hasn’t she? Waiting for any vultures to swoop in.

Soon enough, the woman in question arrives.

With her black curls flowing behind her and graceful movements, even those who were previously bowed can’t help but to stare. Especially, considering that she has reverted back into a youthful beauty beyond understanding… changing from an old woman.

But what I personally find curious, is that her blue eyes and tight smile are perked in a cat-like fashion

She definitely has something planned.

50