Epilogue 1
2k 5 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week later, Madeline had walked outside her home into the light of the setting sun. She and Arin sat in Nighthills while the wolves got up to do their usual wolfy business, though what that entailed had changed quite a bit in a short time. While the two of them talked, Janice the shepherd led a wolf back to Nighthills and thanked him for his help. All around town, night and day, the wolves walked beside the people of Rodehills. Sometimes they helped the people, other times the people helped them. The wolves routinely tended to and guarded the sheep. The fear and animosity hadn’t disappeared, but it had lessened. Madeline hoped someday it would disappear entirely. 

The night the bandits attacked had left Rodehills with a bit of a reputation, or so Madeline had heard from the various traders who came to speak to her. People throughout the land spoke of it as “the village of the shepherd wolves,” and of her as “Wolf Mother Madeline.” She wasn’t sure if she found that flattering or not, but it didn’t matter much. Madeline rubbed Arin’s shoulder as they scritched her ears. She certainly didn’t need renown to be happy.

“So, when are you asking out Florence?” Madeline asked with a coy smile.

Arin blushed. “Wha-what do you mean?”

“I’ve see how you are together.” She leaned in. “You two are incredibly cute.”

Arin buried their face in their hands. “I’m sorry, I didn’t want to bring it up right now because I didn’t want you to think it had anything to do with your transformation. It’s okay with you, though, right?”

“Of course it is! I’m super happy for you.” Madeline pet her partner’s head. “Sweetie, you never have to worry about talking to me about these things.”

Arin threw their hands out and gave her massive hug. They giggled. “You hypocrite.”

Madeline smiled and hugged them back, continuing to stroke their head. 

“You know something else I need to tell you?” Arin said, nuzzling Madeline’s shoulder.

“Hmm?”

“Next time we go to the witch’s hut, I’m totally gonna try out that fox-person potion.” They grinned.

Madeline pet them even more.

“Just to see if I like it!” they emphasized. 

They held each other for a moment longer, before they heard a twig snap behind them. They turned around. A red-haired child ducked behind one of the wolf houses.

Madeline snickered. “Kid, we saw you, you can come out. It’s fine. We won’t do anything.”

Slowly, they peeked their head out from behind the house. They looked to be about ten or eleven. They only took a step, keeping the wall beside them for shelter. But it was enough for them to recognize them.

“You’re James’ son, right? Kyle?” Arin asked.

“Ummm,” was Kyle’s only reply.

“We saw you following us a couple weeks ago.” Madeline said, her voice as gentle as she could make it.

Still, Kyle hung his head down in shame.

“There’s nothing to be worried about. We’d just like to know why.” Madeline assured.

Kyle kicked at the ground and muttered something she couldn’t make out.

“Hmm?”

“You’re really cool.” Kyle said, just a little louder. “You’re like, cool and magic and stuff. And you get to hang out with all these cool wolves. I was watching you so I could learn how to talk to the wolves, and ride the wolves, and get the wolf ears and stuff. Also you saved the town.”

Madeline puffed out her chest to keep herself from doubling over in flattery and embarrassment. Arin giggled at her. 

“Does your dad know you’re here?” Madeline asked. She wasn’t sure if she needed or cared about James’ permission, but it would make things easier.

Kyle nodded. “He said it was okay for me to hang out with you.”

Madeline hadn’t expected that, but she was glad for it. “Alright, Kyle, wanna become my apprentice?”

Kyle’s eyes lit up with excitement. “Really?!”

“What do you mean ‘apprentice?’ You don’t know anything.” Arin gently elbowed Madeline’s thigh.

“Hey.” She grinned. “I know that. But it looks like hanging out with the wolves will make the kid happy, and better for him to do it with supervision than without.”

“Besides,” she said, looking at the rows of wolf houses and the dozens of happy wolves. “I really want Nighthills to last as long as possible.”

Madeline turned back to Kyle. “Come back tomorrow, and we’ll see about letting you and Anya run around for a little bit.”

Kyle nodded enthusiastically before running off. He shouted, “Thank you Madeline!” as he ran by.

Madeline and Arin sat back down and snuggled close. She took a deep breath, taking in the warmth and peaceful energy of home.

It seemed like things were shifting constantly, but the feeling of closeness with the ones she loved would be there forever, and that made the change exciting. She couldn’t wait to see what all changes the future would bring.

91