Chapter 2 – Earth And Sky.
1.5k 11 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(209/288)

 

“What the hell?” Zay mumbled.

“And stuck the landing!” Gloated Gael as the noise from his thud reverberated down the tunnel’s veins.

“Did you just hang off the manhole to break your fall?” Asked Noah as Gael’s flashlight pierced the umbral veil.

“You bet your ass I did.” He grinned and took the lead with nary a moment’s hesitation. He’s not bothered by this in the slightest? Why am I not surprised by this?

“T-thirty m-minutes.” A trepidation-laced Dani mumbled as she rubbed her shoulders. “No more than t-that.”

Zay realized what was up and spun around, “Dani, what’s wrong?”

Shivering, she responded, “I’m fffucking freezing and freaked out. That’s what’s wrong. You’re telling m-me this was under our school the whole time?”

Nodding, Zay flipped on his flashlight and handed her his black coat.

Her expression softened, “I don’t want your coat.”

“I’m not taking no for an answer.” Zay insisted, resting the coat in her hands. “Besides, cold doesn’t bother me all that much. I’m the guy who wears shorts in the winter, remember?”

Reluctantly, Dani slipped his coat over top of hers, “thanks.”

He assured her it was no issue and they followed after Gael, hands intertwined.

“Glad to see they’re the same,” I remarked as Noah and I followed suit. I’m glad Zay finally asked her. We had to practically beat him over the head with the fact that Dani, does in fact, like him.

“They’re goin on two years now, I think?” He shrugged as he came to a stop, his flashlight following his gaze around the tunnel.

I joined him, mimicking his light with my own as I absorbed as much of the tunnel as possible.

In front of us rested a rusted metal bar keeping us from a corroded railroad in the center. None of this makes any sense. Why would tracks be running under here?

Everything else seemed to be fine. The concrete ceiling appeared to be stable more or less, just a few cracks here and there, permitting water to spill down from the sleet above.

I wonder what angle the tunnel is running under the school. I may have even walked over it at some point. If I did, I’m sure I would’ve felt the hollow ground beneath me. Either that or the concrete’s too thick to make a difference. I’ll have to check when we get out of whatever this is.

“Let’s...” Noah trailed as his words seemed to succumb to the tension in the air.

“You two done staring into the void?!” Shouted Gael from up ahead. “Zay found something!”

“Guess that’s our cue...” Noah cast a half-hearted smile wrapped in a hint of unease.

I started after him. I didn’t need him to explain that smile. It was clear as day. He probably figured something along the lines of a boiler room being down here. Truth be told, I imagined the same. Never this.

I wonder how long the tracks go on for and what purpose they serve. This place is hardly urban. A subway shouldn’t be needed. Especially under the school.

“What are we looking at here?” Noah probed, hand outstretched, as he approached Zay.

Gael was sat atop the metal bar, watching Zay as Dani stood directly behind shining a light on whatever laid there.

With a brief glance, Zay inquired, “either of you got any comments on this?”

We made our way over and crouched down beside him.

“You guys carving cryptic shit on walls now?” Joked Noah as he ran his hand along the markings engraved unto the concrete.

I leaned closer for a better look and only fell further down the well of confusion.

Oh, progeny of earth and primordial sky! Steal away the ire, the ill inciting the child’s cry!

What? Okay, for now I’m not even gonna bother. I haven’t the slightest idea as to what that’s trying to say.  Plus, if it’s a riddle, I suck at those.

“Anything?” Zay asked, prodding my shoulder.

I shook my head with a defeated sigh. “No, nothing.”

“Maybe it’s a riddle like you guessed?” Gael spoke up, seizing our attention.

“Maybe,” Zay mumbled, running his fingers along each letter. “What’s a progeny of earth and sky?”

“Oh come on Zay Zay!” Gael cheered, causing Zay to wince. “You got th-”

“You call me Zay Zay one more time,” Zay inhaled deeply and slowly, “and I push you off that rail onto the tracks.”

All right. He still loathes that nickname with every fiber of his being. Noted.

With hands raised in his defense, Gael conceded, “okay. So you do still hate that.” He tapped a finger against his temple. “Gael’s taken mental note of that and Gael will make sure to never call Zay that again.”

“Gael better,” Zay grumbled. “Zay doesn’t need his scars being ripped open again.”

“Hey,” I rested a hand on his shoulder. “Try not to get pissy about it.”

“I’m not,” he cast a nod of assurance, briefly scowling at Gael. “Yet anyway. If Gael does it again though, it’s on. You got that, Gael?”

“Sir yes, sir!” Gael simpered with a salute. “I will never call you Zay Zay as long as I draw breath!”

“That might not be very long at this rate.” Zay rolled his eyes as he got to his feet.

“Onward!” Gael motioned us after him as we started our journey once more. “So I don’t get murdered!”

“So what do you think it is then, Zay? Anything relevant?” Muttered Noah to the white concrete ground.

“You know what I think?” Answered Zay with a quick look back. “A group of people like us found this tunnel and decided to mark the wall for fun.”

“What about the rusted manhole then?” I questioned as I flipped my flashlight on and off repeatedly. “Wouldn’t it have been good to open if someone was here before us?”

“Who knows?” Zay shrugged, “they could’ve found a different entrance to the tunnel or just opened that up years ago and it rusted shut again.”

“Ah,” I nodded and followed through with a topic change. “Dani, you’ve been quiet. You alright?”

“Yeah...” She assured me as Zay nudged her and they locked hands again. “Just been deep in thought is all.”

I didn’t bother asking her what she was thinking about. I had a feeling. Plus, that’s her way of saying she’s not in the mood for words right now.

I can’t blame her.

- - - - -

“Gael!” Zay shouted after him. “Chill out!”

“Hell no!” He shot back as he tore off down the tunnel, passing directly through a torrent of water from the cracked concrete above. “There’s light up here!”

“Up we go, I guess.” Suspired Noah as he trotted along after him.

In silence (and slight annoyance), we echoed their trail. Unfortunately, that involved going underneath the ice-cold downpour from above. There wasn’t a promising way around, it consumed our entire path, leaving no dry passage.

Hopping the rail was tempting, but the drop-down to the tracks was rather deep. Getting back up could prove to be an issue as well, doubly so if the railing is wet enough.

“Dammit, t-that’s freezing!” Dani bemoaned, visibly battling the urge to curl up into a ball for warmth.

Zay did his best to calm her down, mainly ensuring her we’d be out sooner rather than later. Thankfully, that seemed to work for now. I’m curious (and worried, maybe?) about what’s in this tunnel. If anyone can dissuade us from something along the lines of this, it’d be her without a doubt.

Enveloping Gael in illumination, I yelled ahead, “Gael, what’s the hold-up?”

He paused for a moment as if to consider if he truly wanted to answer.

“Gael?” I repeated as we came to a stop.

“Would you believe I can’t fit through that?” He directed an awkward point towards a pristine (galvanized?) steel door, jammed open by what appeared to be nothing. It was stuck on a track, unable to close and allowing a faint orange light from within to be exposed to the world.

“You try taking off your pack?” Suggested Noah as he crouched down and started inspecting the door’s track.

“Yeah, nothing.” Gael backed against the wall and sank to his knees.

Stopping just behind Noah, I questioned, “Anything important? Or just a random maintenance room maybe?”

Peering inside, Noah let out a single chuckle. “Nope, whatever genius made this room had a turn just in front of the door. All I can see is a hallway.”

“Turn back? Not much else to see if we can’t get through the door.” Dani recommended with a shudder.

“Nah,” Noah shook his head. “Gael’s not the smallest one. You and Ethan might be able to squeeze through this gap.”

I opened my mouth but had my words torn to shreds in an instant. Nothing would come out. I couldn’t think of a way out of this. I mean, yeah, there’s always just saying no, but I’d feel bad in a way. We’ve been walking for at least twenty minutes, so turning back would be the absolute pinnacle of a buzzkill.

Everyone but Dani’s looking at me right now too. They want me to...

“Fine,” I mumbled and brushed Noah aside.

“Wait,” Dani spoke up, her eyes darting between each one of us.

“What?” I replied, leaning against the door. “I’ll go inside and find a way to open the door or at the very least take a video and some pictures.”

In silence, Dani threw her hands up in frustration complimented with a gaze that screamed ‘Ethan, you’re insane.’

“You are not going in there alone.” She asserted. “There could be someone inside. They could hurt you.”

“Dani,” I laughed slightly. “If there’s someone inside they’re incredibly quiet.”

“No shit,” She retorted with a face that implied I just proved her point. “Gael’s scream earlier? If there’s someone inside, they obviously heard it. Do you think someone in an abandoned maintenance room is just gonna come out and ask us how we’re doing?”

She had us pinned. Even Gael, and he’s the guy who’ll talk solely to hear his voice and break an awkward silence.

Dani seemed to be overcome with relief when she realized we didn’t have a justification to send me in alone. It’s just a random maintenance room, I guess. It can’t be anything that important.

I looked to Zay only to fall into a river of intrigue. His arms were folded, his head cocked slightly to the side. What’s h-

“Dani,” Zay jumped out of his stupor towards the wall where Gael rested. “This isn’t a maintenance room.”

With a crinkled brow, Gael gazed upwards with a mix of intrigue and uncertainty. “Hm? How do yo-”

“What maintenance room has a keypad by its door?” He replied with two rapid taps above an unpowered keypad. Nevermind. There might legitimately be something of interest.

No one had to ask. Gael rose up and shined his plastic torch on the keypad.

It was about the size of a fire alarm, its glass and numbers tinted with a light lime green. It featured the standard input every English keypad I knew wore. The number one with the letters “ABC” underneath. The number two; “DEF” and so on and so forth.

And with that realization went everyone’s reservations. This is too good to pass up now. Even Dani, I can see the look in her eye. She’s curious, although I can’t see her admitting it.

“Well,” I broke the silence with a crack of my finger. “I guess that’s a yes on me going in.”

Dani slapped her hand against the metal rail and conceded. “Dammit... fine. You can go in, but I’m coming too.”

“Thanks, Dani.” I smiled. It’s nice to know someone has your back. I’m tempted to talk her down in case there genuinely is someone within but I can tell I don’t have a chance. She’s not ready to accept that risk.

Gael dropped his bag to the ground and retrieved some device, handing it off to me with a murmur. “If you have to use it, you haul ass out of there immediately after, got it?” A taser?

Slight shock in my eyes, I questioned, “Gael, why do you have this?”

Casting me a warm smile, he simply replied, “my reasons are my own. Stay safe, okay?”

“Yeah,” I nodded with a deep breath.

I thanked Gael, tucked the taser in my pant pocket and lined up with the small gap.

With a parting gaze, I smiled, “wish me luck,” and slid through relatively flawlessly. My shirt got caught, but that was sorted quickly.

Dani followed through and allowed her flashlight to devour the shadows ahead.

“Backup power?” I suggested as we glanced to the dimmed bulbs above us.

“Yeah,” she nodded, “let’s look for a light switch or something better.”

I agreed and we reached the corner, stopping as we crouched down, hands cupped to our ears. We didn’t need to communicate. We were on the same wavelength right now.

In complete and total silence, we just sat there, listening for any signs of life within.

Nothing. If someone’s inside, they’re playing it cautiously.

Rising to our feet, we rounded the corner to a visage that only bewildered us further.

The floors were a polished brown, so much so that it seemed unaware to the very concept of dirt. The room, medium-sized with circular walls and three exits. One at the back, another to our left, and finally, one to our right.

The center of the room was empty, its lack of contents only being revealed by the faint orange bulbs above.

An exchange of words wasn’t necessary, Dani and I were still both on the same page. We continued on to the room just ahead, only stopping for a second to make a mental note on the pitch black that was our alternatives.

“Beds?” Murmured Dani upon discovery of the room that laid ahead.

Why are there so many beds here? There’s at least twenty of them, both singles and bunk beds. They’re lining the far left wall opposite of what seemed to be a small kitchen, complete with the general commodities. Fridge, cupboards, stove, microwave, and a counter wrapping around in such a manner it served as a separation between the two spaces.

Dani and I split up in our expedition around the room, ensuring we kept each other within sight.

It couldn’t have taken more than five minutes total when our goal revealed itself. A red generator in just as good a condition as the entrance. Roughly Medium-sized based on the ones I’ve seen. This has to be our best bet at letting them in.

“Dani?” I called out with a blend of both a whisper and a shout.

Turning to face me, she answered from a bed she was investigating. “What?”

I waved her over appending it with. “you see any fuel?”

“Fuel? What are you...” She stopped as the pieces fell into place. “Oh, no.” She shook her head. “No. Look around for some. Has to be a jerry can someplace.”

Walking off, I tossed a, “I’ll be taking the left side if you’re looking at this room from where we came in.”

“Ethan?” Asked Dani as she made her way towards the kitchen, complete with a look of bewilderment. “We are not splitting up.”

With a casual throw of my hands, I assured her. “Dani, I’ll be fine. I’ll check out that room and then we can wrap up the right side if we still haven’t found fuel.” It’ll be quicker this way. We are on a timer after all. At least I am. My aunt’s expecting me sometime between midnight and one. “Do you have something to defend yourself with?” I’ll give her the taser if push comes to shove. I want her to be safe.

“Fine. Just be careful, please?” She caved with a breath of clear reluctance. “And yes, Gael slipped me something when I followed you in.” Gael, you’re the fucking best, I swear.

“Good,” I sighed in relief, turning to walk off. “See you soon.”

“Oh, wait,” she called after me. “Did you... you know?”

Stopping, I hesitantly responded, “I’ll... um tell you later, okay? When we’re out of here.” She’s gonna be annoyed I broke my promise... again. I know why she is, but I’m severely anxious about it. Only her and Violet know. I’m gonna have to say something to everyone eventually. I just hope I can kill off my fears. I about had a panic attack when Violet found out.

I promised her I’d do my best to stay safe and trotted off. It helped soothe her nerves, but not completely. Nothing shocking in that. I strode out to the central room and, while casually taking my time at first, eventually ended speeding it up after Gael cried out.

“At this rate, Dani might end up joining in on Gael’s murder.” I thought to myself. Honestly now, it wouldn’t kill him to be quiet for at least ten minutes. Although, to be fair, I’m pretty sure that was a cry of pain. I have a hunch he was doing his best to irritate them. Thus, resulting in a slap upside the back of his head.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I sped down the darkened hall, my “torch” serving as one of the few items that would gnaw away at the shadows.

The corridor seemed to extend for miles. Whether that was the darkness screwing with me, or something else, I’m unsure. The one thing I am certain of is my paranoia. This place... feels off, out of time even.

If you told me we were the first people here in years, I’d absolutely believe you. I’m uncertain why, but I would, without a doubt. I couldn’t tell earlier thanks to the lighting but I’m positive there’s a coat of dust over everything in that rear center room.

“Please have fuel,” I pled with crossed fingers as four rooms revealed themselves. I just wanna get the damn lights on and explore the rest of this place. I’m sure it’ll be a lot more welcoming when I’m not drowning in darkness. Maybe coming down here alone wasn’t the greatest of ideas. Paranoia’s a bitch and a half...

I stopped before the first of the rooms on my right and steeled myself but not before grabbing Gael’s taser with my spare hand.

I should act under the assumption that someone’s here. After all, what better place to hide than in one of the lightless hallways?

Nice job, Ethan. Your nerves hate you.

My legs carried me around the doorway with such speed that I almost ran face-first into a wall?

This... “room” isn’t exactly what I was anticipating. If I had to describe it in a word? Underwhelming. It was simple; a tiny circular room about the size of your average broom closet, complete with a metal vent in the center of the black-tiled floor, and a window to my left glazed in dirt, but not so much you couldn’t gaze a room over.

“Hm?” I squinted as its presence threw itself at me. A dry erase board, marker and all. The marker’s uncapped, so it’s definitely dried out but why is the board here in the first place?

The board was clean so I ultimately chalked it up to nothing and went to the next room. Must not be important if nothing’s on it.

Rooms two and three? Three was the exact same as one, barring the dried out marker. Two, the board was dropped to the ground displaying a metal panel behind it. Sadly, I didn’t have the luxury of figuring out what was hidden within if anything.

“Still no fuel?” I let out a sigh as I took room four’s board off the wall. “The hell?”

The squirrel’s caught the bug. Keep an eye on him. It’s imperative we get answers.

“More text?” I thought, returning the board to its hook protruding from the wall. It was written in red, and it seemed to be so long ago that the marker and board may as well be one.

I returned Gael’s taser to my pocket and pulled out my phone to take a picture.

“There we go,” I nodded as a seed of success flourished inside my mind. If it comes down to it we can come back another day after reviewing this stuff.

I’ll need to grab a photo of the one outside though, just to be safe. Maybe matching them will yield som-

“Wait, did she?” I felt relief and excitement flood me as a light above sparked to life.

“Nice job, Dani.” I smirked as the light flickered a few more times, ultimately staying lit.

I went to take my leave only to have my excitement and relief be swallowed up in the maw of my fresh anxiety.

My exit. It was a no go. I didn’t even hear the door shut.

And I’m not seeing a handle or button to let me out.

46