A Meeting of Gods
11.5k 29 142
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naomi and I sat at the dining table with my computer, our phones, and a notebook. We started to scour the internet looking for reports similar to the missing kids. We wanted to see 'how far the rabbit hole went' as the saying goes. We came across something else that piqued our interest too. There were a few reports of bodies being found drained of their blood. Naomi and I shared a look as if we had the same thoughts.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Naomi asked.

"Yeah, could the person responsible for the missing kids and the bodies found drained be the same person or a different creature?" I asked.

"There's only one way to find out." Naomi said, "By doing our own investigating. How do you feel about being a fake P.I.?"

"I didn't really want to be a P.I., real or fake. We have no choice but to do this because the authorities will never believe us if we try to go to them. We have to at least try to help save other kids and hopefully not get killed. We know the faceless guy is real, but I doubt that there will be a respawn.

"I had another thought too," Naomi said as she propped her head up on the table with an arm. "What if the kids and the bloodless bodies are two separate matters? I mean if you think about it, you and Alex got some abilities from the game. Why would there be others? What if there is a vampire doing that while another entity is kidnapping children".

I sighed at her words. I knew she was most likely right. "You're probably right. I wonder if we should treat the bloodless bodies as a separate case until, we have more evidence that proves otherwise. We already have enough on our plate, let's not add any more unnecessary things to it".

Our investigation continued like this for a few hours before Yuki arrived. Yuki went to the kitchen and got a glass of water before sitting down at the table with us.

"So, what happened to you?" Yuki asked as she sat down.

"Sarah saw a figure from the game in real life and when she was looking at a house a woman covered her eyes and told her the tall man would get them if she didn't get rid of a banshee" Naomi answered her.

"What, you're kidding me," Yuki said incredulously.

"It gets better," I added. "We think there might be a vampire from the game or at least a player that is a vampire roaming the streets. For my own peace of mind, I would prefer it if you didn't walk alone, or anywhere at night without Alex or myself with you."

Yuki slumped down in her chair. "I want my powers already".

"I can understand how you feel. It would put me at ease knowing you had them too. We can talk more about this once Alex arrives. On another note, how was school?"

"It wasn't too bad. I am glad it's almost time for graduation. We have our finals coming up soon. It sucks that they are happening so close to Rebirth's first event. It makes studying more difficult" Yuki said with slight apprehension.

"It is necessary. We don't know what the future may hold for us. I'd rather you get your diploma and not need it, than need one later and not have it. So many things will change in the future that it will be hard to say what parts of today's society will be here tomorrow.

"That's fine, I understand. I have been reconnecting with Aria. I wouldn't say we are friends again, but we are talking to each other. She brought up coming over to study for finals sometime in the future. I haven't given her an answer yet" Yuki said looking a bit melancholy.

The three of us continued to chat as we awaited Alex's return.

***

On the moon overlooking a blue planet, Scarlet sat as she watched the events unfold on Earth.

"It appears this world still had creatures of myth and legends living in it," Scarlet said as she drank her tea.

"It seems that they went into hiding as certain religions gained in strength. It’s a shame that anything magical or not human was considered satanic and was persecuted. It also doesn't help that they were further pushed into hiding as humanity began to expand and their technology improved." Eri responded, standing beside Scarlet.

"They had a cold war, magic versus technology, and technology won," Scarlet said. "It's not just humans. The elves and dwarves had a similar war and they both lost. I hope the races that remained hidden will fare better in this new era."

Scarlet turned her gaze away from the planet and looked towards her assistant. "That faceless entity that has been making its appearance has been unsettling me. I don't know what being it is, but I can't help but feel a deep dread when I see it. I swear it looked at me once as I was looking at it."

Eri looked at Scarlet in surprise. "Do you think it is related to 'Her'" Eri asked.

"I can't say for sure, but I am getting a vibe that they are related in some way," Scarlet responded with a slight tremor in her hands as she recounted her events with the Outer God.

The two women's attention was roused as they saw a portal open up near them. From the portal stepped out a feline-like woman. She had a humanoid body but was covered in short black fur. Her head had the appearance of a cat. She wore a white sheer dress and various types of jewelry adorned her body. Her long, perpendicular, cat ears had different piercings. Her overall appearance, you could say was regal.

"Bastet, what brings you here today?" Scarlet asked.

"My spies have informed me that the world you are creating is having a unique occurrence," Bastet stated. "They told me that the beings of myth and legend that remained hidden on your planet have started to re-emerge. The fae folk and other creatures of the night are appearing once more and are making their presence known." Bastet said as she smiled mischievously at Scarlet.

"Are you here to meddle in my affairs again?" Scarlet asked with an annoyed tone.

"That depends. I may do some meddling, but I promise to keep it within reason. We gods do get bored after all. Oh, I am also doing you a favor. I am running interference for you by keeping Zeus in the dark." Bastet responded as she conjured an Egyptian-styled chair and sat next to Scarlet.

"Thank you. The last thing I need right now is Zeus to show up and start fucking everything in sight again. I swear he and Loki are the only gods I know of that like to sleep with animals." Scarlet let out an exhausted sigh as she recalled Zeus's past hobbies.

"By the way, does Selene know you are living on one of her moons?" Bastet asked with an impish smile.

"Is that the name Chang'e is going by again? How many names does she have by now? Thoth, Seshat, Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto, and Diana?" Scarlet asked though the question was more for herself than anyone.

"Don't forget about Khonsu and Chandra. Though I am sure she has more. Although it's not like you can talk Scarlet, or should I call you Hecate or Nimue instead." Bastet responded, laughing at the end.

Scarlet could only frown as Bastet aired out her past like it was yesterday's news. "I am sure Selene won’t mind. After all, I too have been called a goddess of the moon. Besides it is not like I am encroaching on her territory. You know damn well my domain is magic. Though Loki did try to take that from me." Scarlet was trying to forget the great prank wars that Loki started. He caused the death of a god and was bound to a giant asteroid by a cosmic serpent.

"So, what humans do you have your eye on? Maybe I should visit them and mess with them a little bit." Bastet said as she eyed the earth.

Panic flared up in Scarlet’s and Eri's eyes as they heard Bastet's words. " NO! You can't mess with them!" They both shouted at her. Bastet looked at the two women with confusion and surprise at their reaction to her words.

"Are they that important to you?" Bastet asked.

"They are but that's not the reason. The two sisters and the daughter are under the protection of an entity of higher authority than any of the gods. We can only interfere indirectly." Scarlet said as she calmed herself.

"Why would the Elder gods take any notice in a few mortals," Bastet asked with confusion on her face. The Elder Gods never interfered in the affairs of mortals and rarely interfered with the gods themselves.

"It's not the Elder Gods. It's an Outer God." Scarlet said, dropping the biggest of bombs Bastet had heard in an extremely long time.

"That's impossible! They were sealed away in the space between dimensions!" Bastet exclaimed in shock.

"Unfortunately, it is true. She had visited us just recently and told us we couldn't interfere too much with those three mortals. There is a woman however who is free you can do what you wish. Scarlet said, trying to deflect her attention away from the three problem mortals.

Bastet took a moment to regain her composure. "Which Outer God is it?" Bastet asked, her eyes filled with deep worry.

"Scthacalz, The Ghost of the Formless Void," Scarlet said quietly.

"Fuck! Why did it have to be her? She and Azathoth wreaked havoc on reality after the events of creation. Fine, I will leave those three mortals alone. You have my word." Bastet promised.

"I am curious as to why Scthacalz is protecting them," Bastet said.

"We haven't been able to figure that part out," Scarlet responded.

142