Chapter 17
1.7k 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(POV Qui-Gon)

 

We had left the repair shop an hour ago. We have been looking for a solution to our problem. Then I got a transmission form Obiwan. They apparently got a transmission from Naboo pleading for help.

 

“It’s obviously a trap. The Federation is trying to track us down” I said “Don’t let them send any transmissions” it’s highly likely they have already triangulated our location.

 

“Yes, master I will look into it. How are thing going at your end?” asked Obiwan.

 

“It could be worse. There is only one store selling the parts we need. But they won’t accept Republic credits. And for any sort of trade needs to be authorized by their owner.” I said.

 

“Can’t we find him and negotiate a deal? Who is the boss anyway?” asked Obiwan.

 

“Well that is the part which is going to be troublesome. The owner is an acquaintance of ours. We know him as Nomad of the Ghosts. And if we know anything about him, it’s that we don’t find him, he finds us” I said.

 

“Well that’s interesting. Please try and hurry master I feel the disturbance growing.” Warned Obiwan.

 

“I will see what can be done”. I stated. Then cut the call.

 

“Is this Nomad dangerous master Qui-gon?”  asked Padme. Someone from a peaceful and sheltered world wouldn’t have heard of the infamous and elusive bounty hunter.

 

“Beyond dangerous. He is the leader of an elusive bounty hunter group known as The Ghosts. Although, we suspect they are more than mere bounty hunters. Nomad alone, has so far killed more than a dozen Jedi who tried to impede his missions or just outright went after him. Master Yoda had to outright ban anyone going after him or his group. He seems to be spreading his influence as of late.” I said.

 

“If he is so dangerous why isn’t a jedi task force sent after him?” Padme asked. Did she listen to anything I just said.

 

“He isn’t the Jedi’s enemy. He doesn’t actively seek hostilities. It’s just that sometime some of our order impede his missions. Some of our more active youth formed a task force of six jedi knights and went after him on Nar Shaadaa. Instead of hunting him, they were instead hunted and slaughtered in return. He doesn’t like our order, apparently his family was killed by one of us or as a result of Jedi intervention in the Mandalorian civil war. But he respects some in our order, atleast as warriors. Which seems to include me for some force forsaken reason, as he always asks for me and my padawan to come to exchange padawans he liberated from other parties and slavers. He would then ransom them back to the order.” I said.

 

“He would liberate captured padawans, then ransom them to the order?” asked Padme incredulously.

 

“Yes. When I asked him why. He said ‘There is no free lunch in this galaxy. We spent our time and effort liberating the Padawan. And we are not doing a job without getting paid’. It’s not just the padawans. He has liberated more slaves in his bounty hunting operations than most jedi operation combined” I could only sigh “Enough of this. The more we ask around the sooner he is going to show up. That is, if he is interested. And please don’t antagonize him” I said moving on.

 

We spent a few more hours searching for a source for money, as well as any traces of Nomad. As we moved through the market area Jar-Jar gets into an altercation with a Dug only to be saved by the young boy Anakin.

 

“Hi. You shouldn’t get into trouble here. He was about to be made into orange goo. You shouldn’t pick a fight with a Dug. Especially a dangerous Dug like Sebulba” Anakin warned.

 

“Mesa Haten crunchen, that’s the last thing mesa wants” said Jar-Jar.

 

“Nevertheless, you are heading into trouble. Thanks, my young friend” I said.

 

“You talked him down though. Why did he seem resentful?” asked Padme.

 

“When I used to be a slave my former master made me Pod race. He was my main rival. He has a vendetta against me and has tried to take me out many times. But now, I am under the protection of Nomad they can’t touch me. No one attacks Nomad’s people not even the Hutts.” explained Anakin.

 

“What happens to those who attack Nomad’s people?” asked Padme. Well this will be intriguing.

 

“Last time one of the lieutenants under a small time Hutt launched a strike against one of Nomad’s warehouses, and all hell broke loose. By morning next day, the entire gang including the Hutt was dead, their stock piles looted. From what I heard it was a slaughter. The fighting started in the dead of the night and by morning Nomad and his people were nowhere to be seen. All that was left behind was dead bodies and burned down buildings” said Anakin.

 

“Sounds like something Nomad would do.” I couldn’t help but think back to the scenes from Botor. An entire pirate city base raised to the ground in one-night, sure fits Nomad’s M.O.

 

“Then Why do you stay under such a man? And why didn’t the Hutts retaliate?” asked Padme.

 

“He is only mean to his enemies, but cares for and protects the people under him. Plus, he is always nice to me. Being Mandalorian isn’t a race, it’s a creed. And Mandalorian always protect their own. As for the Hutts, what I heard was that they have big deals with Nomad and losing a small time Hutt didn’t hurt the cartel as a whole.” Said Anakin.

 

That caught my interest “Is he training you to become Mandalorian?”

 

“No, But Nomad and the other Warriors gather the children around and teach us what it means to be Mandalorian, their values and principles. The honor of a warrior, the loyalty to one’s family and to be loyal to your brothers and sisters” explained Anakin. Quite impressive if he can instill honor into the people here, highly unlikely though.

 

“Do you have any clue where he might be?” I asked.

 

“All I know is, he might still be on Tatooine. I saw him yesterday.” Said Anakin.

 

Then he led us to a vendor and helped us buy some fruits for cheap. It appears the boy knows the old lady; he even gave her some money to buy a cooler. Such a kind hearted boy.

 

“My bones are aching; it looks like a storm is coming. Better hurry home Ani.” Said the old lady.

 

As we turn and leave “Do you have shelter?” asks Anakin.

 

“we will head to our ship” I answered.

 

“Is it far?” Anakin asked

 

“It’s on the outskirts” replied Padme.

 

“You will never make it that far. Sand storms are very dangerous. Come on I will take you to my place.” Said Anakin.

 

Who am I to deny hospitality offered by a kind hearted boy. We follow him back to his home. Which was a modest house right next to the shop, which appears to have been closed dur to the coming storm.

 

As we enter, he shouts. “MOM, I am home. And I brought guests”. Shmi walks out just in time to see us and a questioning look appeared on her face. “Your son was kind enough to offer us shelter” I said.

 

Before she could reply Anakin pulled Padme to his room saying, “Come on I will show you the droid I am building” to which his mom could only sigh and accept it.

 

(POV Padme)

 

Anakin drags me to his room showing me the droid being built. “This is C3PO. He is a protocol droid to help mom.” He said.

 

“He is beautiful” is all I could reply. Well, he will be when he has a proper chassis. One can hope.

 

“Here watch” says Anakin as he powers up the droid. “Oh…. oh, where is everybody?” asks the droid sitting up.

 

“Oops” says Anakin attaching its missing photoreceptors. Then the droid registers our presence “Hello I am C3PO. Human Cyborg relations. How may I serve” says the droid.

 

“He is not complete yet. Nomad promised to get better parts shipped in this week.” He says. This Nomad must really like the boy to ship in parts just for a droid.

 

(A few hours later)

 

We are having dinner with the family. And we start talking about pod racing and such. There was someone at the door. Shmi went to check. Then Anakin suddenly asks Qui-Gon “You are a Jedi knight, aren’t you?”. Looks like the cats out of the bag.

 

“What made you think that?” asked Qui-Go.

 

To which he replies “I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi knights can carry those”.

 

A small smile appears on Qui-Gon’s face. “What makes you think that. Maybe I killed a Jedi and took it” he said.

 

Anakin replies confidently “I don’t think so. No one can kill a jedi”. Qui-gon smiles and says “I wish that were so”.

 

Just as he finished speaking, a heavy voice sounded from behind us.

 

“Yes, just as the jedi master said. The jedi aren’t invincible or infallible. The more than a dozen lightsabers hanging on my wall can attest to that.” Said the new comer, who could only be the elusive Nomad we were searching for. I could see Master Qui-Gon tense a little bit.

 

“No way. Nomad you have to be making stories up. No way can anyone kill a Jedi.” Protested Anakin.

 

Everyone stilled for a minute, then Nomad laughed. “Do you think so too master Qui-Gon” asked Nomad.

 

“He is telling the truth. Over the years every Jedi who attacked him or his people have died just like the Hutt you mentioned” explained Master Qui-gon. Anakin becomes contemplative.

 

Nomad just laughs and ruffles his hair. “Don’t worry your little head about it. There is always a bigger Krayt Dragon behind the first one and then another behind that. It’s not about how much power you have. It’s about how and for what you use it. Well with that said I am leaving. Anyways I just came to tell you the parts I promised have arrived and are in the store. I had to check up on some information as well.” Said Nomad. Maybe he isn’t all that bad. As he starts leaving, I suddenly remember about asking him to sell us the parts we need. As I was about to speak, Master Qui-gon speaks up first.

 

“Nomad you are a hard man to find. I need to make a deal with you” suddenly said I Qui-Gon.

 

“I will find you tomorrow. Hang Around the store. I know why and how you ended up here. And I am quite positive I know more than you about your current little predicament.” Said Nomad and with that he left.

 

Everyone is quiet. “He is always like that. Suddenly appears out of nowhere and then disappears just like that” said Anakin suddenly in an exasperated voice “Never around when you have to ask something”. We just smile at this. But what he said bothered me. It sounded like he has information on the invasion.

 

“Well you can get your parts and be on your way tomorrow, that is if you can strike a deal with him. And don’t let it bother you. As long as you earn his trust, he won’t do anything bad” said Shmi.

 

“Well we can see what happens tomorrow” said Master Qui-Gon.

 

(Next Day)

(POV Qui-Gon)

 

After the brief encounter with Nomad everything went back to a lazy pace. Last night I was able to learn Anakin doesn’t have a father. From what his mother has divulged, it would seem he was conceived from the force. It was the only way I could explain such high medi-chlorian count. Even master Yoda doesn’t have that high a count. I would like to convince the boy and mother to let him come and train in the order.

 

Might as well try, we have been waiting for a while.

 

“Do you know that your son is force sensitive?” I asked Shmi.

 

“Yes, I know he is gifted, Master Jedi” replied Shmi.

 

“Calling him gifted would be an understatement. He is stronger in the force than Grand Master Yoda. It would be a great travesty not to train him in the force.” I said. She goes silent. Contemplating on the information I just gave her.

 

“He may go with you if it’s what he desires. But you must explain it to him. He must know what he is getting himself into and if he wants to go even after that, I will not hold him back.” Shmi finally took a decision.

 

“Indeed, everything must be explained to the boy. No sugar coating it master Jedi, he must know the bare truth. Don’t worry I will be present for that, can’t have you hoodwinking my employees now, can we.” Came a heavy voice from the back of the store. I turn around to see Nomad standing there with Anakin at his side. This is not going to be fun.

 

My group follows Nomad and Anakin to the back of the store. To some sort of large office/conference room.

 

(POV Thrunn)

 

I had initially done all of this not just create a base of operation on Tatooine. But also, to get my claws into the future dark lord and have what limited influence I can have on him. And if I can prevent him blindly trusting the Jedi and make him be a saner person, then it’s a win for everyone. He will be a less emo Darth Vader.

 

“Now let’s talk credits Jedi. What are all the parts needed. And how are you going to pay?” I asked them.

 

“We need a T-14 hyperdrive generator and some other parts. This R2 unit can give you the specifics.” Qui-Gon points to a astromech droid.

 

“Well let’s see.” I then proceed to go through the data R2 just transferred to my datapad.

 

“If you want to get these parts it’s going to cost you a pretty penny. It’s going to be 15,000 peggats. Which when converted to credits become 750,000 credits”, I said.

 

“That is a lot higher than the actual exchange rate of 1 peggat is to 40 credits? Are you just hiking the price up because I am a Jedi?” asked Qui-Gon.

 

“No actually this is the conversion rate me and Jabba agreed on. And you know you are one of the few Jedi I actually have the tiniest amount of respect for. So how are you going to pay.” I said.

 

“I only have 20,000 credits on me. Can I write you an ‘I owe you’ in the name of the order.” Asked Qui-Gon with a small chuckle. Didn’t expect him to laugh at his own Joke.

 

“No can do. That doesn’t work here. Cash up front for the parts. And maybe I will throw in a free repair since I feel quite generous” I said.

 

“Then we are at an impasse”.  Said Qui-Gon with a frown.

 

“There is a big race later today. You can bet in it to get the money you need.” I offered. This brings up their spirits.

 

“Can I race?” asks Anakin expectedly.

 

“I am not giving you permission. Your mother is going to throw the cash register at me if I do so. Hell, hath no fury like a protective mother.” I said. I don’t want my shop burned down for nothing. He sits there pouting. Sometimes I wonder how such a kind kid becomes something like Vader, I blame the Jedi.

 

Everyone remains quiet for some time. “I think we should let him race” said Qui-Gon suddenly.

 

I had to ask. “Why?”.

 

Qui-Gon just smiles and says “This will be a test of his skills. Plus, the force tells me he will win”.

 

“Yes, after that I am going to join the Jedi” shouts Anakin.

 

I turn to him “What do you know about the Jedi?” I ask.

 

He puffs up and says “They are the greatest warriors and peacekeepers. They are invincible. After I become a Jedi I can come back and free the other slaves.”

 

“Well sorry to burst your bubble. But the Jedi aren’t all that mighty as you say. Ask the ones to die by my Gra’tua. Plus, the ones you are thinking of are the Jedi of the old. The current Jedi are nothing but the corrupt senates lap dogs. They sit in their ivory tower on Coruscant and only serve those in the core and if you are lucky the mid rim. They have lost touch with the people they are to serve and now serve only those in power. If you think that will give you the strength to liberate slaves across the outer rim, then you are just dreaming. At present they can be described as, the blind leading the blind. Plus, you will have to cut all ties with your mother and will not be permitted to have any relationship with anyone. And I see you ogling the young lady here. I wouldn’t blame you; you could say her beauty rivals that of ‘Royalty’, No?”. I say.

 

Everyone becomes deadly quiet and still. Anakin blushes. Padme freezes and is in shock her disguise has been seen through. Qui-Gon has deep frown, he was annoyed at the fact no one told him the queen was with him or it might just be that he didn’t appreciate me bashing the order in front of the chosen one.

 

“Why would you say that?” asked Padme shakily.

 

I laugh and say “I have my means. I can also guarantee that I have more information about your predicament than you do” I then turn to Padme “Information like, I knew ages ago that the blockade would occur. Information like your ship received a transmission from Naboo yesterday. And information about the people behind it. You little lady are just small pawn in a larger plot afoot.”

 

She looks mad and in her self-righteous anger shouts “Why didn’t you warn anyone?” She then realizes what she did and becomes nervous. Qui-Gon places his hand on his lightsaber.

 

“I would not activate that sabre if I were you master Qui-Gon” I warn Qui-Gon, then turn to Padme “And why the Kriff would I care about your problems. I am telling you now because I am willing to sell you the information. And when you reach Coruscant and the senate does squat all for you, I can offer you our services to liberate Naboo, which we might just take up if you find the contract acceptable. SUVARIR?” I say in a deep and cold voice.

 

“And what will be the cost of the information and contract?” asks Qui-Gon

 

“The cost of the information will be 100,000 credits. Because this might bring the attention of some unsavory kind on us. There will be the additional condition that only the jedi high council can see this information and no one else, especially not anyone from the senate. Yoda will know when he sees it. An additional condition is that you will not disclose to anyone that I sold this information to you” I told Qui-Gon, then again turned to Padme “As for the contract. Overall charge will be 200,000 credits and additional 100,000 for every Lucrehulk we destroy or capture. All captured loot will belong to us. And you will keep our involvement classified. These are the costs and condition. Take it if you want” And with that I walk off.

 

On my way out I tell the teams near Naboo to prepare for infiltration of the Lucrehulk ships in orbit. More Crusade S corvettes and Ne’tra fangs had already arrive on location and are awaiting orders.

 

Just like in the movies they enter Anakin in the Boonta eve classic. I bet heavily on Anakin winning and moderately on Sebulba not finishing. No way in hell am I going to waste such a lucrative opportunity.

 

After they finish the race, they come to me.

 

“Here is the peggats for the parts.” Says Qui-gon handing me his winnings.

 

“Great. I also made killing on the bets. Since I am in a good mood I will throw in the repair and fuel for free” I said “I would ask your ship to hurry up. Here is some info for free. There is a certain dark sider already on Tatooine searching for you”. This shocks them and Qui-Gon quickly coms Obiwan to bring the ship over.

 

Then I turn to Padme “I will give you a piece of advice. The republic is not what it was. It’s influenced by forces that haven’t been seen for centuries. Don’t trust, even the people closest to you, even the likes of your senator. I know you might be thinking that he had been a friend and mentor to you. But he is a politician and will use this as an opportunity to gain as much as he can. If you wish for the survival of your people think thrice before committing to something. May be discuss with Master Yoda before you decide.” A sort of confused look appears on Qui-Gon’s face.

 

Then I see Anakin looking at me weird. “What?” I asked.

 

“I am going to join the Jedi” he said confidently.

 

“Very well. Just know that being jedi isn’t the only way to live in this galaxy. And if you want to leave the order, just leave. Tell you what, ask for my help and I might just grant it.” I said ruffling his hair.

 

Soon, a sickeningly chrome ship flies in and land in one of the public landing pads. The repairs are finished quickly by the droids.

 

Before they leave Qui-Gon comes to me in secret “Here is 2500 peggat. More than you asked for. I need that information and your guarantee that it’s genuine.”

 

I snicker “I can promise you that this is genuine. We intercepted it after your escape from Naboo. But my conditions still remain, this is for the eyes of the High council alone. This might, no, this will help garner support for Naboo. But it will open a can of worms you or me don’t want opened. That is why I offered to take the contract to help liberate Naboo instead. And remember, you didn’t get this from me. Sign on the doted lines if you understood the conditions and are willing to buy. If you uphold the contract, I may sell you more information in the future.”, I handed him a contract for the sales of this information. If he breaks these conditions there will be severe consequences. The intel I shared was a blurry holo of Palpatine and Maul giving instructions to Gunray.

 

He signs the contract, I take the peggats and give him the data chip. As he turns to leave, I suddenly think of something. “Mater Qui-Gon can you send Padme here. I need to talk to her about something. It might help her save Naboo”. He stands still for a moment, deep in thought, before nodding.

 

A moment later Padme comes in to my office. “You wanted to say something?” she asked.

 

“More like ask you something? Do you have any proof to submit to the Senate? Or are you just going to plead and hope for the best” I inquired. She was shocked, then looks away sheepishly. Apparently, she was going to wing it. Sigh.

 

“We had no time to collect evidence.” She said a bit downcast.

 

“On the contrary, you had plenty of time to collect rudimentary evidence. But you didn’t, you placed your blind faith in a corrupt system, a system that has been letting you down again and again.” Now she looks annoyed. I continue. “But I am willing to offer you information if you want?”

 

She frowns at me “What do you want in return?”.

 

I smile under my helmet “You can sign a contract in which you pay me 200,000 credits after this debacle is solved. Or you can sign a contract which I mentioned before, to use my services to liberate Naboo. The same fee rates and conditions as stated before, with the added condition you won’t reveal to anyone were you got this information from, this last condition is applicable to both options. I can guarantee the senate won’t move quick enough for your liking. What will it be, option 1 or option 2?”. I offer.

 

She is stuck in deep thought for a few minutes. “I will sign a contract to use your services. Your conditions are acceptable” well look at that, she isn’t a complete idiot. Maybe there is still some hope.

 

“Good. Please sign on the dotted lines.” I offer her the contract. After she signs it, I give her a copy and a data chip. “Remember, don’t tell anyone, and by that, I mean anyone.” I remind her. She turns to leave “And this is friendly reminder never trust politicians, even if they seem to be on your side, their only prerogative is to further their goals. This applies even to your senator. Choose your friends carefully” I warn her as she walks away.

 

The chrome abomination leaves as soon as she boarded. What I gave her was telemetric data as well as images and videos of the droid occupation of Naboo.   

 

I will head out for Naboo with the boys after a day or two. By now I have a small fleet of Crusader S ships and Ne’tra fang fighters waiting in the outer edge of the system.

 

A few minutes later I get reports of a dark cloaked figure roaming around my turf. I could only sigh. If he starts something, I will have to kill him early, without any Jedi scapegoats and this will draw unwanted attention. He will leave if he knows what’s good for him.

 

Which he does after snooping around for a bit.

 

Let the games continue.

32