111: Contacts
202 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning sun felt nice on my face, even though it promised to be a sweltering day later. Our location on one of the rooftop terraces of the palace offered privacy for our conversation, and gave me something else to look at. As I swept my gaze over the buildings below us, I considered how quickly they seemed to have returned to normal. But there were still scars and residue of the struggle, and one of them was the reason we were talking here.

“He was mentally influenced?” I repeated, glancing at Elia.

She wore a robe of a simple cut but good quality, and had her hair put back in a bun. There was a faint frown on her face, but otherwise she didn’t look much like she had during our journey on the Earth Continent.

“Yes, but only a little,” she replied. She still had an accent and she tended to speak a little slowly, as if she was looking for the right words, but her Common was excellent. “Enough to make him more susceptible to them, more likely to listen to and consider their words. But like I said, very subtle, and they didn’t manipulate his thoughts. The decisions he made were his decisions alone.”

Kariva nodded, her face unreadable as always. She was standing with her hands clasped behind her back, seemingly content to let me talk this out with Elia.

I sighed. “I see. And you’re sure Carston didn’t influence Mother?”

“Of course he influenced her, just not with qi.” Elia shrugged. “Sorry. But he knew her well, they were together for years. He knew how to play on her emotions for him. No offense, my lady.”

“I told you, no need to be formal. Anyway, how did he know Isuro’s name?”

“The Zarian Security Director told him.” Elia pulled a face. “Maybe they wanted him to feel like he was being trusted. I don’t know.”

I made a mental note of that. Kariva had given me pages of transcription and analysis of their interrogation, but I hadn’t had the chance to read through all of them yet. I’d do that later.

“Are you going to kill him, Inaris?” Elia asked. She ran a hand through her hair. “I don’t mind helping you with this, he’s a bastard and I know this is important, but I’d rather not do this sort of thing again.”

“Of course, Elia.” I smiled at her. “I appreciate your help. I’m sorry that I’ve been using you, with Hajake and Carston. If you like, I can start giving you pointers on shapeshifting now.”

“Maybe in a few minutes?” Kariva cut in. “There are a few other things I’d like to discuss with Inaris, since we’re here.”

“Of course. I’ll be outside.” Elia gave her a tight smile, then me a slightly more genuine one, before she left.

I turned to Kariva, noting that she’d used my first name. She walked a step closer and leaned against the balustrade.

“I’ve read the reports on your talks with the traitor Wei, before you crushed their stronghold,” she began. “You should know, Wei Min was one of my best men. Loyal as they come. I never let his name get in the way.” She shook her head. “Well, he’s not dead. I do have a few assets in the Zarian Dominion. He’s a prisoner there, currently on the way to one of the cities in their heartland.”

I raised an eyebrow. Really? Now that’s interesting. After a moment of thought, I asked, “Do you think they’re blackmailing the Wei? Got his father or uncle to switch sides in order to save him?”

Kariva frowned, then shook her head. “It’s possible, my lady. But we’d be speculating, and it’s just as possible they really do think he’s dead. I don’t have enough information for a good guess.”

“Right.”

We fell silent for a bit, until she stirred. “What will you do about it?”

I hesitated, scratching my cheek, before I came to a decision. “You arranged things with Ming Li, the so-called Black Knife, didn’t you? Let’s hire him again, to get Wei Min.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Alright, I can do that. It’s not going to be cheap, but we certainly have the budget. If you’re sure?”

“Why not? It offers us new options on dealing with the traitors. And if he fails, it’s not much of a loss.”

Kariva smiled slightly. “Quite right, my lady. I’ll see to it. I’m sure the man is still around somewhere in the Empire, but it could take a while.”

I nodded. It didn’t look like this conflict would be over in a day, anyway.

“So, about Carston?”

I turned and looked at the palace below us for a bit, gathering my thoughts and listening for any fervent objections from my conscience, or whatever passed as one. Unsurprisingly, it was pretty silent in my head. After a moment, I turned back to Kariva. “Yes. He has to die. Prepare the necessary documents. Or better yet, a genuine trial. This needs to be legitimate and proper justice.”

Kariva smiled and inclined her head. “Yes, my princess.”

“Don’t tell Al he was influenced, however slightly it might have been,” I added. “That might just sow doubts.” I considered for a moment. “And don’t have it be done in my Mother’s name. I know justice is carried out in the Empress’ name by tradition, but I’ll shoulder this one. Or maybe Kiyanu.” Not that it really mattered, but I thought having Mother be even officially responsible for killing her lover wasn’t necessary.

“Of course. I’ll arrange it.”

“Good. Then, if that’s all, I’ll go talk to Elia.”

Kariva nodded and let me go. I quickly departed the terrace, looking for the young woman from the Earth Continent. After a moment, I found her in one of the upper courtyards, and quickly made my way down to join her. Aston and a few other guards shadowed me.

Elia turned around as I arrived, raising an eyebrow. The flowers planted around the path still looked a little battered, and I could hear the noise of the palace drifting on the wind, but it was a reasonably private space.

“Thanks for waiting,” I said. “How have you been?”

She shrugged. “Can’t complain. Things have been pretty interesting, at least. And your friends are nice.”

I smiled. “That’s good to hear. Sorry, but I don’t have much time these days, so let’s get straight to it, if that’s alright.”

She looked at me for a moment and nodded. “Of course.” With anyone else, they might have been offended or felt condescended to, but I got the feeling that Elia could see I was just being honest.

“Great. The thing about shapeshifting, at least for me, is that it’s pretty instinctive. Like any skill, it takes practice to get used to it and to get better at it. It also helps if you have anatomical knowledge and a clear idea of what you want to do. You don’t need to know all the details, things will work themselves out to some degree. But when in doubt, it’s better to be specific.”

Elia nodded attentively. I wondered for a moment if she knew more about how things worked, where the knowledge came from. Was it the qi of our Greater Spirit ancestors? But I dismissed these thoughts. I shouldn’t get sidetracked here.

“Consistent practice is good,” I continued. “You should spend some time every day working on it. And try different shapes. You may find some are easier than others, even when it’s not always obvious why. How about you try a few things and let me watch?”

She nodded and started looking off into the distance, clearly concentrating. I watched her aura and tried to see what she was doing. It wasn’t easy, but I got some idea of that. Well enough to give her a few hints, at least. I rolled my shoulders and settled in for a while of tutoring.

After about an hour, Elia’s focus was noticeably worsening, even though her ability had improved slightly. She even managed to grow functional gills, which worked in the ball of water I conjured to test it. I smiled and shook my head at the reminder of our daring escape and flight through Zarian territory.

We parted and I headed back up to the main palace building, noting the guards drawing closer around me. A little bird made of air qi fluttered down to me. I glanced around, then touched it. “Please head to the outer courtyard on the lower terrace, Inaris,” Kiyanu’s voice echoed from it. “We have an incoming airship from Terbekteri.”

I frowned a little, but turned around. I knew which location he meant. The path was clear, so I put on a bit of speed.

When I arrived, Kiyanu, Kariva, Gen and a few others were already waiting. I joined them, nodding at everyone. “Let’s hope it’s those reinforcements we were expecting.”

Kariva smiled faintly. “I fail to see how it could be anything else, Your Highness. Even with Prince Hajake’s … issue.”

They were close already, of course. Otherwise we wouldn’t have gathered. Probably Kiyanu hadn’t wanted to disturb us by calling me sooner, which I appreciated. It meant we didn’t have to wait long until I saw the approaching airship. I’d have liked to take out my telescope, but didn’t want to do that in front of everyone, so I just channeled a bit of qi into my eyes.

The airship was large, and had the crest of Terbekteri painted all along one of its walls. Little flags and banners flew from various parts of its body and even a small mast, which had to be an affectation. Not that I had room to judge, the Imperial airships I’d sometimes taken had been just as bad.

I waited with a modicum of patience until it set down, trying to analyze the crests it showed. I didn’t have much success, though, since I didn’t know enough about Terbekteri’s factions or internal politics. But Kajare was smiling, so I figured that was good enough. He showed up just in time, taking his place beside me, his fingers discreetly questing for my hand. I took his hand and gave it a squeeze.

In short order, the delegation debarked from the airship. They were all in a high stage of cultivation, and dressed like warriors, with quite a few openly carrying weapons.

Their leader, a middle-aged woman with graying hair pulled back in a bun and weatherbeaten skin, went to a knee in front of us. More precisely, aimed at me and Kajare.

“Your Highnesses. Your Grace.” She flicked her gaze in Kiyanu’s direction. “I bring news and aid from your kin and allies in the Kingdom of Terbekteri.”

I reached out and took the letter that had appeared in her hands. “Thank you, and please rise. All of you, I bid you welcome to the Empire of the Sky.”

Kiyanu stepped up beside me, so I unrolled the message and held it so he could read, as well. It was a short letter, mostly polite, formal phrases. Signed by my father-in-law. The message was clear enough; he’d sent these people to back our side and my claim to the throne in the brewing civil war. That’s more than we ever got against the Zarian in one spot, I noted. But I guess I can see why. It’s his son’s future and perhaps life at stake, and the whole alliance.

I smiled and watched as Kiyanu and the others welcomed them and started to lead them into the palace, idly wondering how they’d react to me cutting Hajake’s head off.

“Is something up?” Elia asked, gliding beside me as we walked into the palace. “You just had a spike of killing intent.”

I shook my head. “Thinking about Hajake and Jian.”

She raised an eyebrow. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

I didn’t even wonder how she knew what had happened. “Yes. I’m not some hero of stories who’ll chase revenge to the detriment of everything else. I can be patient. But they still need killing.”

By now, the others went on ahead. Tenira had fallen back and was walking beside me. She clicked her tongue. “It’s a good thing you are.”

Our plan was simple, at its core. Gather enough evidence to expose Hajake’s crimes, so the Terbekteri and their king would help or at least let us deal with him. I wasn’t as worried about Jian, since the Velisha were our vassals, and if need be, we could defeat them easily.

My thoughts were interrupted by the Terbekteri woman who’d spoken before slowing down. She glanced back, and I felt a hesitant touch on my mind, asking for permission to establish contact. Carefully, I checked my mental defenses, then accepted the telepathic contact.

Your Highness. Thank you for responding, and please forgive the circumspect contact. I have a private message for you from Her Highness, Princess Salira. She asks for an audience, and hopes that you may find a way to contact her discreetly. I stand ready to help if that is required.’

I raised an eyebrow, glancing at the messenger, who was walking ahead of us now. ‘I have to admit I’m not very familiar with Terbekteri political factions, but I assume you’re working for Salira or her associates?’

There was a hint of amusement in her reply. ‘I serve Her Majesty, our queen. Salira’s mother. I suppose you could say they’re part of a faction.’

I really needed to get around to asking Kajare about this. From what I remembered, the current queen was his mother, too, like Salira’s. ‘I see. I’ll contact her. Thank you for passing the message.’

By now, we’d reached the palace and the welcome was winding down. The guests would be settled in and given some time to rest before we started the real work. I made sure that everything was going as intended, then took my leave. I didn’t have much time.

“I’m going to my room to catch a nap,” I said to Elia and Tenira. “See you later, okay?”

“Of course,” Tenira said. “Tell her hello from me.”

I sped up, putting some of my cultivator strength to use. The way from the guest wing to my quarters wasn’t very long, luckily. Once there, I paused and watched for a moment as the guards arranged themselves, Aston standing before my door. Then I took off my shoes and climbed into bed, closing my eyes.

It didn’t take me long to fall asleep. I didn’t waste time playing around with my dream, but cast my consciousness out, searching. Here, the distance to the Earth Continent hardly mattered. I focused on my memories of Salira, and searched for her among the many sleeping minds I could vaguely sense.

My hunch turned out to be correct, and she was indeed sleeping. It was night at her location, of course, but considering her cultivation, I suspected that she was doing it deliberately. I knocked on her mind with my consciousness, then slowly entered her dream.

It resolved into a scene of the winter garden in the fortress we’d first met, the plants and flowers seeming less colorful and vibrant in this dream replica, their details blurry and indistinct. Salira herself looked just like I remembered, only wearing a different dress, this one in black.

Did you know I could visit you in dreams?’ I asked.

Salira’s projection bowed deeply. ‘Luminous Princess. I wasn’t certain, but I had a hunch. I prayed for guidance in the Moon’s temple, and recalled how He watched over dreams.’

That wasn’t much of an answer, but I decided not to press the matter. Maybe it had just been a guess, or Rijoko had given her a subtle nudge, but I didn’t have any way to tell. ‘You wanted to talk to me? Has something important happened?’

Salira hesitated, and I could sense some of her trepidation and anxiety, covering a spark of anger. ‘Not quite, my lady. But I just learned some disturbing information. You may find it very upsetting, and to be honest, I’m not quite sure how to say this. It involves Hajake, that loathsome brother of mine.’

I raised a hand, cutting her off. ‘Is this about what happened at the Zarian fortress?’

She started. ‘Yes, my lady …’

So you found out about it.’    I pondered that for a moment. I’d been considering involving her in this, anyway. Though I’d left it to my friends and Tenira had decided not to, previously.

But now that was moot. ‘He tried to kill me, working with prince Jian of the Velisha. And nearly succeeded, too.’

Salira shook her head slowly. ‘You knew? I’m sorry, I didn’t think you did. I only overheard him mentioning it to one of his confidantes.’

Completely by accident, I’m sure.

I smiled at her. It seemed she’d come directly to me with it, which was a good sign. ‘Of course. We’ve been preparing to deal with him. How do you stand on this matter?’

He’s vile, but I never thought he’d go this far. I’m appalled. He’s betrayed family, committed sacrilege.’ She shook her head. ‘The only reason I didn’t go to Father with this is that I have no hard proof of anything. But I fear what else he may be up to. If you have a plan to deal with him, I’ll do whatever I can to be of service.’

I took a step closer and laid a hand on her shoulder, smiling again. ‘With your help, I’m sure we’ll be able to find justice, and eliminate the threat he poses.’

I was really glad I had a good relationship with my younger siblings.

 

I have a general question for my readers, if you wouldn't mind answering. I'm curious about your impression of the story's main character. How would you describe her? Or, if you don't know how to answer that, how much do you like her?

As always, thanks for reading!

10