Volume 1: Prologue
2.8k 32 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The great continent of Gratzé is a vast and bountiful land made up of seven kingdoms.

Sitting at the northern most part of the continent is the cold and snowy Ferahim Dukedom.

Once a proud Kingdom ruled by a just King, it has since been reduced to a Duchy ever since the King's brother, Duke Ulfric, mounted a rebellion and usurped the throne. Since then, the lands have been divided and scorched by the fires of war between the loyalist faction and the Duke's men.

Bordering Ferahim was their sworn enemy and the largest of the seven, the Seraphim Kingdom.

It's lands were vast and fertile, making farming their main source of income. The geographical positioning of the kingdom, being at the center, also helped its trade industry. Goods from all over the continent flowed through Seraphim, effectively making it the central trading hub of the continent whenever there was peace.

West of Seraphim is the great plains of Allesia.

A country made up of various clans, ruled over by one Warlord, they boast the strongest cavalry amongst the seven, and excells in mounted combat. They breed their war horses with such care and ferocity that the other kingdoms had began calling them horse country.

East of Seraphim where the sun rose stood the Holy kingdom of Vanahan. Said to be the chosen land by the great God Vanos, these lands has the oldest history amongst the human kingdoms. Their belief states that humans are the supposed inheritors of all the lands. They are fierce believers of human supremacy and that demihumans, such as Elves and Beastkins were below them.

North of Vanahan is the Elven country of Wisteria. A vast forest that held trees as tall as mountains, Wisteria once ranged as far as the salt mountains. But because of the war between the Elves and Vanosian believers, the Elves were forced to withdrew from the lands and seclude themselves within the vast forest.

The same goes for the Bestial Empire of Inbestia further up north of Wisteria and also east of Seraphim.

A country ruled by Beastkin, various tribes and races made up Inbestia, all of whom swear fealty to the Beastking. Being a country of demihumans much like the elven country, they hold animosity towards Vanahan but had since brokered peace after years of open conflict. They are a proud country that values strength over anything.

Separated by the great dragon sea in the south is the Aldenia city state alliance. The 14 city states that made up the alliance had once been at war with one another, but had since reconciled. They possess the greatest naval force on the continent and hold superiority in the maritime trades within other continents. As they are isolated by the great dragon sea, they usually keep away from conflicts in the mainland.

The seven Kingdoms of Gratzé form a delicate balance, where in no one country overshadows another. Though there were occasionally wars from the countries within, life is relatively peaceful. However, the winds of fate has started moving, and a storm is brewing.

Soon, the entire continent would be swallowed by a force that would shake it to it's very core, and at the center of it, was Seraphim.

+++

"My lady, please! You're not supposed to be here! If we dally any further, you'll be late with your appointment with the tailor"

The voice of a panicked maid followed by heavy footseps resounded within the halls of the Carmine household's worker's lodging.

Milin hastily followed the young mistress as she strode forth, her foot steps were quick and steady, while her eyes wandered around as if looking for something, or some one.

"Milin, please, just a minute. I have something to ask that pet of mine"

The young lady only shrugged lightly at the maid's words.

Nine years had passed since Lady Juliette started her training, she had significantly grown into a fine young lady, and was now at the age where she would make her debut into high society and enroll in the academy. This should be a joyous time for her, however, her face could be interpreted as anything but joyous.

Finally reaching her destination, the young lady stood tall in front of a door, she forcefully knocked on it with such vigor that door seemed as if it would break at any moment.

"Hey! I know you're in there! Open up!! It's no use hiding!"

"My lady, please calm down! Such an act is unbecoming of the young lady of house Carmine"

Milim desperately tried to calm Juliette down.

"I don't care! I'm angry at--"

Just then, the door Juliette had been banging on violently quietly opened,

Beyond it stood a young man with black hair dressed in a butler's clothing. He offered a small bow, but before he could speak, Juliette interrupted him.

"Where were you?! I thought we had agreed that you would come see me first thing in the morning, right?! How dare you make your mistress wait!"

The young lady didn't hide her displeasure, she crossed her arm as she turned away and pouted.

The young man only looked at her with eyes that seemed to say jeez, what am I gonna do with you? He bowed his head and spoke.

"Apologies, my lady. But I was held up by a task that sir Alford had entrusted to me, please forgive this servant of yours"

Juliette, though still pouting, faced the young man and answered.

"Hmph! Even so, you should prioritize me more than anything"

The young man smiled as he thought to himself.

[The young lady sure is cute when she's sulking]

Still bowing, the young man spoke

"Yes, my lady. I will do so in the future, so please, could you forgive me?" 

Seeing her servants genuine apology, the young lady's face broke into a smile.

Her smiling face, accompanied by her beautiful Sapphire eyes, was so radiant that one might have mistaken it for an angel's.

"Hmm.. since you're sorry, very well then, I shall forgive you, Larc"

"My thanks, Lady Juliette"

Larc, after finishing his training under Alford, was now a fully pledged butler. His duties to his charge, lady Juliette, included serving, accompanying, and protecting her.

He had grown considerably over the past nine years, and was now taller than the young lady, his well built body indicated that he had not slacked off in his trainings in any way. His etiquette, as well as his movements were now so refined, one might mistake him for a noble man, there were no traces of the boy from the slums left in him, his two memories were now perfectly synced with one another.

"Now, come! You will accompany me to the tailor"

Juliette gleefully informed him, the young boy merely tilted his head in confusion, he looked at Milin as if to say do you know of this? The handmaiden merely shook her head in resignation.

Larc, seeing this, asked his charge.

"My lady, why would your butler accompany you to the tailors? Shouldn't that be a job for miss Milin?"

"Who are you to question me? I told you to accompany me, so you will accompany me. That's final"

Against his mistress's order, the young butler could only nod in agreement.

"By your will, my Lady"

"Good, now, come, we have wasted enough time already as it is"

With that said, the young lady turned and walked away, her hand maiden and butler quietly followed suit.

75