13- Blessed Mortal
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mo City lied in the east of the continent. It had been also an ancient city that was led by a particular family, the Qin, which was also its founder. Even though it wasn't called Qin City, the name 'Mo' was given in honor of the wife of the founder just as well as the Mo Manor that was their residence after generations and generations.

The Qin family specialized in major trade around the continent so the city naturally operated in trading all types of goods to west, central, and north. If most people wanted to seek for merchants or became one themselves, Mo city was the only place possible to conduct such business.

So, the Mo City was never much of a tourist attraction like Yang Ai but it stood independently on its own and the majority was pretty well off people as well. Nonetheless, it took them four days to start from the East then dropped by the central city to send Shi Lihua's letter and finally to the west.

It was a lot of work, riding on the thrill of their swords with protection barriers lest they gathered up all the floating snow and froze to death before they could dismount their swords. It was already late in the evening and they haven't even seen the first light of the city yet.

Not long enough, the chilling wind suddenly picked up roughly and the barriers vibrated like an earthquake. "It must be a snowstorm," Wu Huan frowned upon the view down his feet. He could barely see the distant line of the street connecting Mo City to Taohua that they had been following.

Suddenly, the barriers shattered as the next badge of wind. Shi Lihua started lowering himself down. "It's dangerous to keep flying." After they dismounted their swords on the isolated street, his senior brother casted a bigger protection spell and they walked together, their brows scrunched at the sound of raging wind and snow against the thin veil of spiritual energy. It felt like it wanted to sweep them off, leaving no dust behind.

Wu Huan raised his hand to brush off the snow nesting on the other person's hair. "Look, what if you catch a cold," he smiled when he saw him scorning. "Your hands are cold too."

"Let go. Why are you getting touchy all of a sudden?" Shi Lihua wretched his hand away from the semi-warm ones, his ears and eyes pink from the coldness. He wrapped his cloak tighter ignoring the eyes that followed his every move.

"You're not good with the cold, aren't you? Senior brother, if you want to warm your hand, you can grab mine."

"No."

"Here. I'll do it for you." Wrestling with the push and pull, Wu Huan made the tightest grip he could before he felt the other person surrendered. He had the courage to chuckle when Shi Lihua tried to walk ahead.

"If you're so busy touching others like a pervert, try looking for a place to stay in the middle of this storm."

"But you're already busy looking for the both of us. I'll just supply the warmth like this."

Shi Lihua didn't speak to him anymore.

Approximately about one incense stick, they finally saw a dim light in the distance. At this rate, two barriers had already been broken. And even though they couldn't clearly see the source of light, they only trudged quickly forward hoping it was at least a civilized place. "It looks like a temple," Wu Huan mumbled as the stone building revealed its structure and bright lights coming out of its window. "A pretty big one too."

"Let's go."

The temple was called 'Blessed Mortal' sitting randomly alone just outside of Mo City. The building was very well kept signaling that it must have been receiving a decent amount of visitors and the monks here were very meticulous with their duties. Wu Huan pulled Shi Lihua behind his back as he knocked on the door. A wind picked up and flattered their cloaks violently. "Let me check first."

Shi Lihua let go of the hands once the doors creaked to an open revealing its cozy light.  It was an old monk clad in red. "Who might the young masters be visiting this temple so late?"

Wu Huan frowned softly but he quickly flashed a smile, "I'm sorry for bothering the monk so late. But, my friend and I are stuck in the middle of the snowstorm as you can see. Would it be appropriate if we ask to rest here for the night?"

"Not at all. Not at all," he nodded while glancing around outside. Then he stepped back holding the door wide for them. "You can rest in here until the snowstorm ceded. Hurry. Come in to warm yourself."

"Thank you so much," he brushed snow off himself and also Shi Lihua who was very uncooperative under the monk's gaze. Wu Huan then raised his dark eyes to the giant immortal statue standing over the piles and rows of burnt incense and offerings. He didn't recognize the immortal but he didn't dare ask to not sound arrogant. "The temple is really beautiful."

The monk laughed softly, the giant beads around his nape shook a little. "There are only two of us here and not much work. There is also a vacant room near the basement. The two young masters can rest here until tomorrow."

"Only two?"

"Yes, me and a disciple. He is in the kitchen cooking congee at the moment. I'll tell him to make two more bowls for you."

"We should not bother you any further."

But the monk already walked off, "It's nothing at all. Nothing at all. Please follow this monk to your room." He grabbed an oil lamp sitting idly by the door.

The room was initially very dark so Wu Huan went to open the window. Even though it looked like no one occupied it, there was no fine dust at all when the eery moonlight cracked inside adding illumination to the growing oil lamp. "My disciple must have cleaned this room every day," he laughed seemingly satisfied. "It's good that we don't have to clean in the middle of dinner and cough up all the dust."

Shi Lihua walked to the bed and his face looked dark for a brief moment. It was definitely a single bed and this room was probably only made for one person with its simple table, dresser, and mirror. He ignored Wu Huan when he also came over.

"Then I'll head to the kitchen."

"Yes. Thank you very much." Wu Huan stared after the closed door. "Senior brother, is there anything wrong?" He sat stiffly on the bed before lying down with a groan. He would be lying if he said he wasn't exhausted.

"Nothing. Just be careful of the congee in case of food poisoning. We can trust no one."

"Can I trust you?" The other person smiled, his hands supporting his head in a lazy manner.

"No. Not at all because I'll stab you in the middle of the night if you say another word."

He only chuckled watching Shi Lihua taking off his cloak and brushing away snow. Suddenly, he sneezed. And then again. And again.

"That looks like a heavy cold. What did I say earlier?" Jumping off the bed, he went to feel his temperature. But Shi Lihua only backed off seeming to panic when he touched the wall. "Calm down, I'm only touching your forehead..." It was definitely warmer without a doubt. He looked at pink tints at the corner of his eyes and the pink nose tip. Wu Huan suddenly felt the urge to punch it but he withdrew himself, very aware of the deadly glare.

He turned to rub his nose instead.

Knock Knock

"Young gongzhi, the congee is ready."

[So fast?]

-

"It's very good. There are so many vegetables."

The youth disciple who called himself 'Fan Fang' smiled in appreciation. The four of them had gathered around the wooden table for the congee. Wu Huan saw that Fan Fang had made two pots of congee which was more than enough for at least ten people.

"May I ask where you get the vegetables? Mo city is still quite further away." Shi Lihua slurped quietly next to Wu Huan, his Phoenix eyes focused on picking out the pumpkin. He thought the congee didn't look suspicious especially when he saw they were poured from the same pot.

The monk answered, "We have our own small garden at the back. But it's currently winter at this moment, the vegetables were brought by the people who have come to worship. Usually, we also made more food to prevent them from decay."

"I see," Wu Huan said despite his attention on his senior brother who was picking at his bowl. "Senior brother, you catch a cold so eat a lot of vegetables. Don't pick out the pumpkin like this."

Shi Lihua pretended not to hear.

[He's even more grumpy when he's sick.]

1