Chapter 7 – Taking a Quest
1.1k 9 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here you go!

Another 2,9k word chapter! Somehow, it's the third chapter that I publish today. For the last 3 days, I only write, eat and sleep. Nothing else, haha. Each chapter take me around 6 hours to write, for information, I hope that it will be faster once I get more experience!

I hope that you enjoy it!

 

- (Anna’s POV) –

I woke up a few minutes ago! It’s still very early in the morning, the sun is slowly rising right now. It became a habit for me to wake up around 6AM when I was on Earth to go to school.

After getting dressed, I go to the courtyard behind the house. I take out my sword from my inventory and start to train by swinging it. I don’t know if it’s useful for my body, but I plan to do that every morning for 30 minutes to fill up my energy because I really like to hold my beloved sword!

There are several knights also training in the courtyard and some of them are watching me while talking to each other. Suddenly, 2 knights are moving toward me.

They both look really familiar; did I meet them somewhere?

Then one of the knights talks to me.

“Good morning, Lady Anna! We heard from the others that you saved our life when we were bleeding to death, so we would like to thank you from the bottom of our heart!” (Knight 1)

“Thank you so much!” (Knight 2)

Oh! So they were the one that I healed 2 days ago?

“I’m glad to see that you have recovered well!” (Anna)

“Do you want to train with us and the others?” (Knight 1)

I don’t see why not, and I might also find out more information about this world.

“Why not, I will only stay about 30 minutes though, I have many things to do today!” (Anna)

I join the rest of the knights and they welcome me with open arms (not literally, obviously).

There are also a few knights with a more luxurious armor than the others, I recognize the captain of Alice’s escort; I think his name was Copernic. Then, the middle-aged knight with the prettiest armor talk to me:

“Hey, Lady Anna! I’m the knight commander of this Earldom, my name is Gabriel. I heard that you saved 5 of my subordinates from death so please allow me to thank you.” (Gabriel)

From what I can see, he is the commander, he has 4 subordinate called ‘captain’ and one of them is Copernic, and each captain has around 10 knights under them.

“It’s quite rare to see a strong female knight those days. Most lady prefer to relax while drinking tea and goes to party very often. So, it’s kind of refreshing to see a lady interested in the sword!” (Gabriel)

“Hehe, well, I liked the sword since I was a kid, so I trained hard to reach my current level!” (Anna)

“Hahaha, I like you already!” (Gabriel)

After laughing a little bit, he looks at my sword.

“That’s quite the unusual sword that you got right there, Lady Anna” (Gabriel)

“Its name is ‘Rosetta’, a friend of mine forged it and gave it to me as a present.” (Anna)

“Wow, your friend must be quite the crafter, it’s a really good quality! I can’t even guess what material was used.” (Gabriel)

Should I say it? Well, I don’t really mind if he knows…

“The blade is made from orichalcum and the handle is made from dragon scales.” (Anna)

“”””ORIHALCUM AND DRAGON SCALES ????????”””” (All knights)

Well, I was kind of expecting this reaction, haha!~

“D-Do you even know how precious i-it is?? It’s on the level of a national treasure!!” (Gabriel)

You might be wondering why this sword is special, right? Well, the most important point is that it’s nearly unbreakable. It means that it won’t break even with my fastest move, so I can cut anything with it, even slice a stone in half. Other than that, there is nothing really special, except maybe the fact that it has a high mana conductivity so it’s easier to fill it with mana and it avoids the losses of mana.

“Well, yes, but I like it, so I won’t give it to anyone!~” (Anna)

“Hahaha, you are more and more interesting, lady Anna! Would you mind sparing with me? I would like to see your level with my own eyes!” (Gabriel)

“Sure, I don’t see why not!” (Anna)

I never refuse any challenge! Even more when it’s about the sword!

We both take some distance from each other and the others knight back off a bit. It looks like Copernic will be the referee.

“Start!” (Copernic)

I want to see his level before I finish him so I will let him attack at the beginning.

“Come!” (Anna)

“Hahaha, alright, alright!” (Gabriel)

He attacks me with all his might and I only parry or dodge his strike, then I see a hole in his posture, so I point my sword at his neck and the battle is over.

“W-Wow, I was informed that you were strong, b-but it exceeds what I expected.” (Gabriel)  

“You are quite strong aswell!” (Anna)

Well, it’s true. He was slightly stronger than the guild master, but not by far.

After the combat, I train with them by swinging the sword for about 20 minutes.

“Alright, it’s time for me to leave! Good luck!” (Anna)

I’m really glad to meet some people that share my passion for the sword, and I like their personality aswell!

I go back to the house. I don’t need to rest because I’m not even sweeting… I guess I need to do a bit more to exhaust my body, haha!~

 

********

 

A few dozen of minutes later, I’m eating breakfast with Alice, Roland, and Eleonora.

“So, Anna-chan, what do you plan to do today?” (Eleonora)

“Mhh, the Adventurer Guild told me that my card would be ready this morning so I’m planning to take it. Then, I think I will do some mission if I find some. And right before dinner, I plan to visit the orphanage because I promised them to come back!” (Anna)

“Oh, that’s quite a busy day!” (Eleonora)

“Oh, by the way, I plan to buy a house in the middle of the town, close to the market.” (Anna)

The three of them instantly freeze up.

“”“You want to leave this house???””” (Alice & Roland & Eleonora)

“Haha, I will leave in the future, but I will stay a little more.~ This house would be used to open a store.” (Anna)

“Wow, you worried me. Do you even have enough money?” (Eleonora)

“I don’t know if it will be enough because I don’t know the price, but I sold some items that I didn’t need. I got a total of 280 gold coins.” (Anna)

“WHAT?! What kind of items did you sell for that much money?! It’s quite a big amount of money, even for us noble.” (Roland)

I ignore him and turn toward Eleonora and give her some money.

“Let me repay you the 20 silver coins that you gave me yesterday, it was very useful, thanks!” (Anna)

“Ara ara, don’t hesitate to ask if you need something!” (Eleonora)

“I will keep that in mind.” (Anna)

I feel that someone is watching me, so I turn to my right and I see Alice with a complicated face. I ask her:

“You want to say something?” (Anna)

“D-do you mind if I come with you today? I-I want to see what it is like to be an adventurer!” (Alice)

Mhh, it’s a difficult question. I don’t mind her tagging along and I’m confident to be able to protect her, but she needs her parent’s agreement.

“I don’t mind, but only if you have your parent’s permission!” (Anna)

I turn toward Roland and Eleonora to ask for permission.

“No! It’s too dangerous! You already escaped death 2 days ago, don’t make me worry too much!” (Roland)

“It’s ok, dear, she can go.” (Eleonora)

“What?!” (Roland)

Somehow, Eleonora want Alice to come with me.

“She always dreamed to become a strong mage, and now she can finally use magic! I think it will be a good experience for her!” (Eleonora)

“…” (Roland)

“Furthermore, I asked the commander of the knight to test Anna-chan’s strength and he reported a few minutes ago that he got easily beaten! Moreover, I think that the safest place in the world is beside Anna!” (Eleonora)

WHAT?! So, it was again because of her?! She also sent a recommendation letter to the guild behind my back!

“… Well, ok, you have my permission. But be careful Anna, I won’t forgive you if my little angel has even a single scratch!” (Roland)

“I promise on my sword that I will protect her from any danger!” (Anna)

 

********

 

Half an hour later, we are finally ready to go out!

I walk across the city along with Alice, she has a big smile on her face, so cute!~

We arrive inside the adventurer guild and go toward the receptionist, but it’s not the one from yesterday. She turns toward me, so I open my mouth:

“Hello, I would like to get my adventurer’s card because I heard that it would be ready this morning” (Anna)

“Ah, yes! What’s your name?” (receptionist)

“Anna” (Anna)

“Let me see… ah, here it is! Your rank is D. Do you have any question?” (receptionist)

“Could you explain me the rules for an adventurer?” (Anna)

I don’t want to lose my rank because I do something illegal without knowing that it’s illegal!

“Well, the guild is not responsible if there is a fight between adventurers, but it’s forbidden to kill someone. For the others thing, it’s not forbidden but it might deteriorate the reputation of the adventurer.” (receptionist)

“Is there something I need to know about the quest?” (Anna)

“The highest ranked quest that you can take is one rank higher than your actual rank. For example, if you are D-rank, you may take a quest up to C-rank maximum. If you don’t complete the quest during the limited time or if you fail the quest, you have to pay a penalty. The higher the rank of the quest is, the more expensive the penalty is!” (receptionist)

“How many quests can I take at the same time?” (Anna)

It’s a bit of a pain to go back to the town after each quest. It’s better if I can do several quests at the same time and deliver everything at the same time, right?~

“Uh?! There is no limit about how many quests you can take at the same time. But you will have to pay a penalty if you fail even one, you know?” (receptionist)

That’s all I need to know!~ She speaks again.

“By the way, if you go to the Green Forest, you have to be extremely careful! There is lot of stronger monster that appeared a few days ago. It’s a bit of a problem for our guild because we don’t have enough high ranked adventurer! Most of our adventurer are F,E or D rank… C rank and higher are quite rare here…” (receptionist)

Ohhh! So, it means that no one will blame me if I take all the quest at the same time, right ?~

“Well, thank you, I’m going to see if there are some interesting quest!” (Anna)

Me and Alice are going toward the board where there are all the available quests for the Green Forest. Let’s see what we have… There are a few B ranks, and a lot of C ranks …

“Anna-oneesama! There is a C ranked quest asking to subjugate 3 orcs and bring back the core!” (Alice)

“Ohh! What a coincidence! I still have them in my inventory!” (Anna)

I dismantled the orcs when I was bored when we travelled, so I have separated the core, the meat and put away the rest. Also, I told Alice about my inventory, it would be annoying to always find an excuse, so I told her the truth. She already knows a lot of secret about me anyway!~

I take the quest and the 3 orc’s cores, then I go back to the receptionist.

“I would like to take this quest!” (Anna)

“Are you sure? It’s a C-rank quest, and you are only D-rank.” (receptionist)

“Ok give me your guild card, I’m going to register your quest.” (Anna)

I give her the card; she writes something on a paper and then she gives me back the card.

“You have 3 days to complete this quest, if you don’t complete it in time, you will have to pay a penalty!” (receptionist)

“Alright, here are the requested items” (Anna)

I show her the three orc’s cores, and she freezes for a second, then inspects it.

“I-It’s really an orc’s core… Why do you have it already?” (receptionist)

“I killed it before I came to the town.” (Anna)

“I see…” (receptionist)

She gives me the reward, it’s 1 gold coin! It’s quite a good amount of money, uhh. It’s approximately the salary for an average commoner for 5 weeks of work!~ Well, it’s a strong monster for this world, only B-rank people and higher can beat it alone.

I go back to the board where there are all the quests for the Green Forest. There are other boards for other locations, but I will focus on the forest for now.

I take ALL the quest available that are asking to subjugate monsters in the Green Forest. There are others location, so I guess people won’t complain, right?~ I also didn’t take those that ask to find some herb and those that ask to escort a merchant.

I go back to the receptionist and give her all the paper that I took. She seems surprised…

“I would like to take all of these, please.” (Anna)

“Y-You are joking, right? T-There is no way that you can complete everything in time!!” (receptionist)

“No, I’m not joking, I want to do all of these.” (Anna)

“I don’t have the right to refuse an adventurer that want to take a quest, but I will warn you that you will regret it!” (receptionist)

She reluctantly registers all my quests and gives me back my card.

“Well, good luck I guess?” (receptionist)

I leave the guild and move toward the exit of the town along with Alice. She said nothing about my behavior, she only follows me obediently

I know that I’m maybe a bit too brutal, but I want to quickly increase my adventurer rank so I can do more challenging mission (and get more money). I don’t want to spend a lot of time having to move to the forest and go back, it will be faster this way.

When we arrive at the entrance of the town, the 2 guards see us.

“Are you maybe lady Anna?” (guard 1)

“Y-Yes, do you know me?” (Anna)

Why do I feel like everyone know me??

“I don’t know what you did, but all the guards were told by the lord 2 days ago to absolutely never anger a girl with red hair called Anna!” (guard 1)

“Yes, and yesterday we got a letter stating the same from the guild master of the Adventurer Guild!!” (guard 2)

Why does this happen to me?! Did I do something wrong?

“Well, I don’t know what I did, but I guess it’s fine…” (Anna)

Then we leave the town and move toward the forest. After several hundreds of meters, I stop and turn to Alice.

“Alice, I will summon my familiar, so we can move faster.” (Anna)

Yes, familiar. Every high ranked player had one. You can mount it, pet it, and it’s sometime used for battle.

I circulate some mana to my brain and also in front of me, then I imagine my familiar being there. Suddenly, my familiar appear in front of me. It’s a huge white wolf as big as a horse. I never had the occasion to summon it earlier, but I’m glad that I can still summon it in this world.

It’s actually a female, and her name is Shiro (it means ‘white’ in Japanese). Her race is ‘Fenrir’.

Well, let’s take a look at Alice. Is she afraid of it? I mean, it’s quite huge…

“S-So fluffy!!” (Alice)

Ohh! Somehow, she is not afraid at all and is even running toward it!! Shiro is wondering what’s happening so she looks at me.

“Alice is a friend, so don’t hurt her, alright?” (Anna)

It looks like Shiro understood and let herself being petted by Alice.

“Alice! You will have time to pet her later, we have some quests to complete right now! Her name is Shiro, you can go on her back.” (Anna)

“Alright! Take care of me Shiro!” (Alice)

Shiro lie down on the ground to let me and Alice go on her back. Then both me and Alice are on her back, so she stands up again.

“Shiro, you will stay with Alice all the time and protect her, alright?” (Anna)

She doesn’t look like it, but it’s actually a very high-level monster. Her physical strength is very high, and she can also use a bit of magic! I don’t think she will have any problem against the monster of this forest.

“So, shall we start our little genocide?” (Anna)

“Yay!” (Alice)

*Woof* (Shiro)

“In that case, let’s go!” (Anna)

Shiro dash inside the forest faster than any horse with both Alice and me on her back!~

It’s genocide time!!~

 

Ready for the genocide ? haha

I hope that you enjoyed this chapter!

I have some difficulties to set a good pace, I don't want the story to be too slow, but I don't want it to be too fast aswell... It's not easy to find the good pace. Should I make it slower? Faster? Keep it like this?

Like always, don't hesitate to comment! The next chapter should arrive soon (a few hours).

27