This is Where it all Begins.
446 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello? Hello? Is this thing working?

[The God of the realm says, they can hear you just fine.]

Well, how am I supposed to know that! Unlike someone else, I am not omnipotent!

[The God of the Realm is displeased.]

Let’s get right into this. Ziph was a nobody before the death games. That is to be assumed because if you think about it, the main character is never someone before the story begins. If their life was interesting before the start of the story it would be worth narrating.

His backstory has him traumatized as a child, abandoned as a teen, and plenty more, but nothing special in terms of main character background, so let us skip it.

What else?

Ah, immediate history, he was a store clerk who hates his job. You and me both Ziph, you and me both.

[The God of the Realm is looking through other narrator applications.]

People applied for this role!?! I am only here because Ziph will not tell this story himself! The goddamn protagonist is too damn lazy to tell his epic tale! If he would, this damn Ziph-obsessed God would not force me to be here!

As you rightly assumed, this God is solving all of Ziph’s problems. The only thing greater than Ziph’s laziness is this God’s fanatical love for Ziph, which is saying something as you will learn.

[God of the Realm has heard enough so-called exposition! Pressing play.]

---

On the train ride to his parent’s place, Ziph hoped to sleep without disturbance. The initial plan of sleeping the time off from work away was immediately rejected as it was the weekend of the annual family reunion.

Ziph internally grumbled, ‘This is bullcrap. I just want to be sleeping!’ He rolled on his bench with a groan his face now towards the cabin. Ziph was blessed with a handsome face and features. His white hair was long and disheveled, his figure lean and muscular, topped off with the height to complete the look. Even before the first game, the God of the Realm blessed Ziph.

The passengers thought highly of his looks as they whispered and giggled like schoolgirls gossiping about their crush, particularly was one lady. She didn’t whisper with her companions or let break out into a fit of giggles. She was poised and elegant, and a woman of action. No! I don’t like this! Don’t let him fool you!

[The God of the Realm is angry. Chance of death 10%]

*cough*

She slid too far on the bench bumping into Ziph. His groggy cognac eyes blinked, evaluating the model now at his side. She is gorgeous, a perfect ten out of ten! Her figure, oh her figure, the perfect hourglass proportion found in only photoshopped magazine covers. The enviable golden tan that takes my breath away. Icy blue eyes that pierce your soul but were tranquil locked with Ziph’s. Hair a light blond that shined bright enough to make the sun jealous. Everything about her was flawless, I don’t have the words to accurately describe her level of attractiveness. She was the heroine you see praised as the main girl material. Her personality? Screw the personality! She was drop-dead gorgeous!

However, Ziph scoffed! He scoffed at her for ruining his dream! I swear I will ki-

[God of the Realm tells the Narrator to finish that statement. Chance of Death 50%]

She was pleased with his contempt; herself an angel that descended on humanity. She did disturb him a second time as the next leg of the ride was peaceful.

First, the lights went out, immediately followed by an ear-piercing shrill from the grinding of wheels on the rails. Screams of terror filled the car as everyone flew, thuds echoed as they impacted with the metal walls, wails of tears as the pain overwhelmed.

Ziph laid on top of the unidentified woman a throbbing pain in the back of his head. He didn’t stop to take in his surroundings immediately throwing curses at a potted plant. ‘It wasn’t bad enough to keep this alive, now it caused me pain! If it were not for the family tradition of keeping this damned thing alive, I would let you die here! I can’t do that, the punishment for letting you die is not on my to do list.’ He hurled endless curses at an inanimate plant with eyes of complete disgust. The beautiful embarrassed carmine face of the goddess below him was disregarded.

“Can you get off of me?” Her voice was angelically caressing the listener’s ears.

“Oh.” He dragged the plant with him as he begrudgingly stepped over unconscious victims before laying back down on the bench.

She was not angry with his actions instead of only letting out a sigh to compose herself. She investigated for immediate information, finding the sliding doors to be locked and herself without a phone signal. Some people were unconscious, others in tears, and few were tending to the wounds of others.

“Does anyone have phone signal?” She yelled, her voice echoing over the panicked terrors of others, Ziph remained unstirred.

People dug through the pockets to find themselves to be without a signal as well. The panic escalated as they screamed with hoarse voices for someone to save them. While a select few remained calm through the event.

An army man, in full uniform, ordered with a deep bellow, “Everyone remain calm! We will get out this together!” Invoking a sense of security in their panicked minds.

In times of panic, people look towards leaders and people of action. They throw away their individuality to be sheep for their herder. When pressed between life and death, the sane man will always choose life.

Ziph was unable to return to his nap finally sitting up. His face was contorted in annoyance with half-lidded eyes. ‘Can’t they all just be quiet? I just want to sleep. What do you gain by panicking? Nothing! So be rational and stop!’

He slouched back waiting for the panic to dissipate, and quiet to return. He slowly looked around the train seeing muscle heads trying to pry open doors to no avail; and spectacle scrawny geeks holding phone flashlights trying to return power.

“Hey sorry about earlier, name is Ziph.” The Angel had returned to her spot beside Ziph.

“Lucia, the pleasure is mine. What do you do for a living?” Her lips curled into a scintillating simper.

He put on a weak but passive smile, “Store clerk, was taking a trip for a family reunion.”

“I’m the CEO of Glory, out to visit a friend. Can only hope the trains starts soon.” Unworthy! I repeat, Unworthy!

[Chance of death 70%]

“Isn’t it strange nothing has changed yet?” Ziph enquired

“Yes, it is,” From all the panic and easing everyone’s nerves they hadn’t taken notice of the timeframe.

Inside the mind of every passenger, the same voice reverberated, “Welcome Humans! It is time for the games to begin!”

---

With a country toppling beauty at his side and a sponsor beyond comprehension, Ziph was on his path to become king.

[God of the Realm doesn’t like that title.]

God?

[God of the Realm wants more pizazz.]

Supreme Ruler of all Realms?

[God of the Realm is pleased and nods. Chance of death 35%]

As much as I stare on in contempt or berate Ziph for his fate. I respect him, for it is hard to keep yourself by what you believe to be true at the darkest points. He does not change himself to fit with others or change his ideals when something goes wrong. He is steadfast in his choices and stands by his actions. He is a man worthy of respect.

[God of the Realm releases a tear. No chance of death.]

And with this God at his side, the future is his to create.

Hello and welcome to the rewrite of an old novel of mine. I ended turning said novel in for an assignment. Now the professor wants me to edit the work. So instead of only sending the edits to him, I'll post them here. I'll also likely continue it where I initially left off. Enjoy everyone!

9