The First Exam
310 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You are the most recent in a myriad of worlds to join the death games.” The previous eased panic reinvigorated now escalated past its previous peak. Hysteria rampant through the crowd as they began beating on windows, doors, walls, anything, everything trying to find some semblance of safety.

“Can you all shut up?” They all heard but no one listened as the train car only grew louder, shaking from the pounding fists. Something has to break, none of them dared imagine where nothing did, where the spider cracked windows didn’t shatter, the metal-plated walls didn’t warp, or where the rubber-sealed doors didn’t open.

Ziph just wanted them all to shut up, to stop wasting time. That the rational part of themselves would return and they could move on.

Eventually, their voices went hoarse, fists turned blooded, the first thing to break was their will. The car turned an eerie silent as victims resigned to their fates.

“Are you all done? Can we start now? We will now be arbitrating your test to join the Death Games.” The voice explained in an irritated tone.

“Can I not?” Ziph detested the idea of what was to come in this so-called death game. Do you know how much work it will be constantly being on edge watching over your shoulder? Watching every step in fear of hidden traps? By Ziph's sleep hour estimation it was greater than 1 hour, and that was already enough hours for him to despise the possibility.

In front of Ziph’s exasperated face appeared a long black fur dog, was a cute little shitzu I mean Shih Tzu. The dog was floating and seemed just as if not more fed up than Ziph. “You will automatically be eliminated if you do not clear the test.”

“Sounds swell if you could make it painless that would be even better. Finally, eternal sleep.” Ziph yawned after a cheeky smirk spread across his face.

The demon dog made the amazing choice to ignore Ziph. As a reward I will call this shitzu, god damn it, Shih Tzu, know what, you are called Fluffy now.

Ziph laid across the bench his head on Lucia’s lap, “If you could stay like that, it would be great, thanks.” That has to be the most emotion I ever heard him use, of course, it had to be about his comfort with sleep. Now Lucia if you could just push him off that-

She nods and runs her hand through his hair…Sorry, can you rewind that?

Ziph requests and she pets him…

Hey God of the Realm did you put in the wrong disk?

[The God of the Realm shakes his head.]

Fluffy scoffed at the two’s scene of affection and turned his attention towards the now mostly silent crowd. I like Fluffy, he deserves a good head rub!

Fluffy in all his fluffy glory tried to talk menacingly to the passengers. It had the opposite effect as it lightened the mood as his act was interpreted as cute. A puppy glaring its teeth at you, you can’t help but want to pet it. I mean just look at fluffy Fluffy is!

Fluffy coughed and his abyssal fur turned a pure white, his eyes now a scarlet red, I shall dub him Floofy.

“Time for you humans to prove your worth in the multitude of worlds. Prove to the sponsors you are still worth supporting!” His voice was menacing as he petrified the audience.

‘Look at all the scared humans, Owner will give me lots of belly rubs for completing the objective with such a high score!’ Floofy, now back to Fluffy, held his head high looking down his snoot with pride.

[Streamer McFluffySkee’s Game 1 has begun.] LordofBellyRubs would be an exact translation, but I prefer mine.

[God of the Realm is laughing at Lord Abu’s fate.]

“The Games have begun, only the ruthless will survive.” Something tells that is wrong, just look at our leads casually flirting in the corner.

[First Examination – Prove your Worth]

+++

Clear Conditions: Kill one or more living objects

Time Limit: 15 minutes

Compensation: 500 coins

Penalty: Death

+++

The loud pinging noise in his head from the announcement tired Ziph from his sleep. The worn-down rioters immediately back to hollering.

“You are calm for being told he is in a death game.” She looked down at him with a warm motherly gaze as a sweet smile donned her face. Why are you still petting him! Why are neither of you two bothered by this situation?

“Not like it matters. Death is called eternal sleep, and that sounds heavenly.”

“Then why still live?”

Ziph did not answer her immediately his voice taking on a darker tone, “Because suicide is a sin.”

People threw punches, kicked, slammed, tore, bit, with the sole objective of not being the one to die. Purses used as weapons, cans of mace sprayed everywhere, knives shaking used by victims. The morals of fighting were ignored as people gauge eyes, went below the belt, and just wanted to live. That is everyone’s goal, not to die. Incidentally, they also didn’t want to kill. Even as people laid prone within an inch of their life someone stopped every one of them. It’s hard, the final bit, to where those morals return. They have a family, they have someone waiting for them. It's gut retching and not everyone can do it, very few can. Even if you can, you won’t be able to live yourself, that guilt, their screams, the tears, the bloodied hands. The moment when their body goes limp in your hands as the last of their life leaves them. 

No one died, many were grievously injured but none were dead. Lucia in the final seconds pulled out her gun and shot an elder man in the head. She didn’t seem remorseful of her actions returning the gun to her boot. Ziph awoken by the gunshot jolted off Lucia’s lap and onto his potted plant. The army man followed suit and shot someone else. 

[The Exam is over.]

The gunshot echoed in the train as only three were left alive. The floor and seats were littered with headless corpses. The world vialed in a red mist spurting out of the deceased.

“Congratulations to you three, you are the only surviving participants from car 5 of Subway 4152.” 

“What now?” The Army man was quick to the point unfazed by the rotting scent of bodies. 

The surviving people are symbolic of what will come in the future of this story.

A man who was trained to kill, a man who wanted nothing more than to be sleeping, and a heroine who knew more than she was letting on.

“In addition to your coins, you will be granted a sponsor. Choose wisely!”

[You have gained 500 coins.]

[One God is interested in sponsoring you.]

+++

God of the Realm

+++

With only one God to choose from, Ziph didn’t think about his choice and just pressed on the God’s name.

[The Gods of Curiosity are interested in you and how you lived the examination.]

[The Gods of Wars are annoyed with you living without killing.]

These pop-ups did not lessen the curiosity of Ziph but instead elevated it. 

“The next exam will be happening shortly, but until then sit tight as we prepare the next stage.”

After Fluffy disappeared Army Man walked up to Ziph and Lucia.

“Name is Anax.” He reached his hand out to Lucia and not Ziph. This is expected since Lucia proved herself to be more useful by being the first to act and also acting effectively. Okay, that is enough lies, it is because she is much better looking.

Visibly annoyed she returned his introduction, “Name is Lucia and this is Ziph.”

“Can I go back to sleep now?” Can I slap him now?

[The God of the Realm says No.]

 

8