Chapter Three
461 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unknown launch detected
Date Tuesday 7th March 2017
Origin <redacted>

Object is of interest due to the lack of acceleration and steady pace through our atmosphere.

Flight was not vertical, suggesting an aircraft of some description, though pitch was much higher than any known craft. 

Sensors were unable to get a complete read due to the small size and unexpected trajectory of the craft. 

Satellites repositioned from <redacted> were able to take several photos after it had left the atmosphere, while the images were not clear, it is not a recognized design. Possibly related to what was originally thought an asteroid that crashed in the region a week ago [ref:zld4482]. 


Seeing the stars from Earth was nothing like seeing them from space. There was no light pollution or clouds to hide their beauty and I found myself staring out the cockpit of our craft and taking it all in. I’d never really had a chance to see them before. Rar’ir had taken a step back to let me get the full experience, only taking back control to make adjustments to our course.

It was oddly comforting being inside Ssaena. The warm comfort of another living being so close. The few hours since leaving Earth had been peaceful though uneventful.

It never grows old. Rar’ir whispered. Everything is so beautiful out here.

It was, but it was also vast and overwhelming. Until now, I’d been thinking that Rar’ir would be more in control, that I’d just be watching from behind. Out here there were less things to distract me from my thoughts.

You’re not alone any more Logan.

“Yeah, sorry,” I said aloud, it must be the silence out here getting to me. It didn’t feel like what I’d imagined a space ship would feel or sound like. Everything I’d seen on tv or the internet were great, giant rockets of rumbling noise. I put some music on, focusing on the steady rhythm of the songs. 

Rar’ir took control after I prompted her. Right now I was satisfied with just relaxing to the music, and there was probably some stuff that they could do in the meantime. I didn’t know where we were going after all, nor how to get there.

We should be far enough away from your Earth to tunnel now.

Tunnel, like, make a wormhole or something?

Wormhole, that is an interesting word. I guess that is how Ssaena travels through the universe, yes. Though it’s probably a little more complicated than that, I’m not sure how to explain in your language. It’s like threading a needle through the tapestry of space and pulling those two places closer for a time.

It takes some time for her to weave the thread, and the process distorts the space-time around her. Rar’ir continued, this can throw celestial objects out of their normal orbits however.

I gathered that faster than light travel was possible, but this seemed something more akin to magic than science. Next thing I’d know, Rar would be telling me that they could make me shoot lightning from my fingers and use the force.

Having not seen this Star Wars, I can’t judge it’s accuracy. Rar’ir sounded amused, But no, I don’t know anyone who can shoot lightning without some kind of taser.

Well there goes that idea…

We don’t know how our bond will affect you, there is the possibility for some… space magic. I’m not sure how to translate that word either. There hasn’t been a recorded symbiote attachment to another sentient being in a long time, so all manner of things are possible. They seemed rather excited at the fact.

“Are you a scientist or something?”

Rar’ir hesitated, Not exactly… Our society works rather differently to yours from what I saw, though I am more free to explore my interests than others. We have four genders, and most of our roles-jobs are based on which one you are. There is the Saer, who primarily spawns more young. Duar, who are primarily workers or soldiers. Casesir look after the young, and do a lot to support the fathers. I’m an heir, our role isn’t set outside of replacing a Saer if she were to grow old or pass. She paused, and then asked hesitantly, What gender of your species are you? There might be some… other changes that would happen.

It took a second for me to click onto what Rar had meant.

Wait, are you saying that you’re a girl? I didn’t know how I felt about that. It was strange knowing I was sharing my mind with a woman. There definitely wasn’t any of the panic I might’ve been expecting. Just calm acceptance.

We’re not so binary, but essentially yes. I’ve only ever bonded with that one host, and they’re custom made. There’s so much I keep forgetting about that I should have told you about. I could feel her anxiety bleeding into my own emotions. You’ll likely start developing to match your species’ female aspects to allow for the possibility of reproduction, should I be required to become a mother.

A strange wave of excitement ran through me at the thought of being feminine. The idea of having a girl’s body, rather than my very masculine one, was giving me butterflies. Where did that come from? 

Memories came flowing into my mind. Being frustrated that I wasn’t allowed to dress how I wanted. People making fun of me when I had grown my hair out. Looking longingly at the women around me and as much feeling jealousy as attraction. Hating all the masculine aspects of my appearance. Shit, why didn’t I realize this sooner.

It was like a switch had flicked on in my brain. Everything pointed to the fact that I was transgender, and it had all just been locked behind the wall of expectations and pressure of those around me. My mind went numb, and our body would have too if Rar’ir hadn’t been in control.

Sensing my distress, Rar’ir called out to me. Logan, are you alright? If we get there soon enough, my people should be able to remove me before such changes happen. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…

She continued to apologize over and over, the words barely reaching me in the place I’d pulled my consciousness into. That safe ball of unfeeling nothingness that I withdrew to whenever life was getting to be too much. It was easy not to feel, not to think.

It was the rumbling of the ship that woke me. Brought me back into the world. My first instinct being to hold onto something, but my body didn’t respond. Right, the symbiote.

 

Rar? I called out hesitantly, hoping to have not hurt her with my withdrawal into myself.

I’m still here, are you okay Logan?

I cringed at the use of my name. Yeah, what you said just brought up a lot of memories I’d tried hard to ignore.

I paused to take in the sights around me. Around us, space was beginning to stretch out, dots of colours becoming lines, becoming swirls. Directly ahead of us was what appeared to be a black hole. Light bleeding around the edges and darkness growing ever closer.

It was spectacular, but it was terrifying.

We’re about to enter the tunnel, Ssaena has finished weaving it. Do you want to talk about what happened? We’ll still have plenty of time while travelling.

The ship was being pulled into the tunnel, and I was able to feel how the space time had been distorted in its creation. Perhaps we should wait till it doesn’t feel like I’m being pulled apart.

Ah, yes. I forget you’re not accustomed to space travel. There is nothing to worry about, it’s perfectly safe.

Somehow, I wasn’t convinced as we fell into the tunnel before us. My body was quickly overwhelmed by the forces placed upon it. We blacked out.

 

The next chapter will likely be a while away, I've got  few other things happening and want to get a cover image done as well. I'll also be uploading the first chapter of a new story later in the week, I hope you check it out :)

16