Ch. 31
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a room Nima created not too far from the previous one, he sat with his closest confidants.

Wanu sat primly, hands delicately folded in her lap with her small ankles crossed beneath her traditional dress. Years of etiquette training were still ingrained in her body. No matter how relaxed she got around the other Tu’i she always gave off the air of one with a royal background.

Next to her sat Wha, one large leg crossed over the other with her arms splayed out along the back of the couch. Long years spent raiding and pirating with her White Cloud family cut out the unnecessary trimmings of “proper” society. The contrast between the two was always most prevalent when they were together.

“So, we’ll need to get the vows done for our newest member before they depart.” Wanu nodded in Wha’s direction. “I expect Wha will go first?”

Nima nodded as he played with a chipped nail.

“How much should I impart?” Wha asked

“Enough.” Nima slowly peeled the chipped nail, tearing the flesh as smoke lightly billowed out of it. “However much they can handle.”

“Why didn’t you tell us about them?” Wanu asked, shifting her posture slightly.

Nima simply shrugged, slight smile creasing the corner of his lips.

“How much did you take on for us?” Wanu’s lips thinned as a slight annoyance flashed across her face.

“Enough. Even Fiti doesn’t really know much.” Nima kept a finger pressed on the nail, willing it to repair itself. “You picked up the clues. That was enough.”

Wha pressed her lips together as she spoke carefully. “Tamai, you’re keeping us in the dark too. Why?”

Nima chuckled at her choice of words. “Because. I need you all focused. Too much, too early can hurt.”

Wanu sniffed sharply as if his words stung her nose. “You just don’t trust us. Even after all this time.”

“That’s not it Nina.” He shook his head as surprise crossed her face. He never used her nickname around any of the others. “Sometimes, it’s better to forget. Let me be the only one to remember.”

“Tamai.” Wha looked down at her veiny leg, eyes darting about. “You don’t always have to handle everything by yourself.”

“Vaha, please.” Wanu’s small lips trembled as a hazy, smoky mist flooded over her. It gave off a deep sense of sadness, causing her shoulders to sag. Her face blanched as something tickled at her deepest memories.

He smiled again, almost gently. “Look. I’ll be ok. For now. Whatever bubbles up, ignore it until it’s time.”

For the first time ever, the two Tu’i noticed the tired creases underneath his eyes. They saw the weary shadow that hung over his face, the look of a man who was in constant pain. The man who had occupied the seat of the sovereign for so many years was finally showing wear. And something about that ignited fear within both of them.

“What we needa focus on is the vow. This one’s gonna be a little harder than the last. Especially because they needa leave soon.” As if it were a fleeting dream, the shadow of weakness fled.

“As for Hiku,” He held his finger in front of his face for inspection. The tear and the chipped nail were completely repaired. “How much have you both figured out?”

“Enough.” Wanu answered, mimicking him. She crossed her arms and leaned back, trying to fix her face in an aloof stare.

Wha chortled and let out a small laugh. She wasn’t used to Wanu making jokes, especially not at Nima’s expense.

Nima also chuckled, nodding at Wanu.

“We know which line they’re from. Do they know?” Wanu held her smile, trying her best to mask the unease that still roiled in her gut.

“No. They think they do.” Nima pulled a tablet out of his shadow, acting like he was pulling it out of his pocket. He handed it to Wha. “They haven’t reached the end yet.”

Wha unlocked it and squinted, rubbing the bridge of her nose as she made a face like she was in pain. The image felt familiar but she couldn’t remember why. Scrolling through, she went from playing with her nose to rubbing her temple.

“Take it slow. Your body remembers, so let it catch you up.”

Wha continued to flip through. Scanning the images as the headache continued to build, moving from a whisper to an annoying buzzing. “So this is the second visit?”

“Mm.” Nima scratched his chin as he motioned for Wha to pass the tablet to Wanu. “This time around, I’m easing you two in first. We still have some time before I have to ease everyone else in.”

Wha handed the tablet, which looked incredibly small in her grizzled hand, to Wanu as she poked the thumb of her free hand into her aching temple. The ache felt old, like it had been forgotten and ignored. Her shoulders trembled as she began to shiver.

“It’ll take a little. But you’ll both be ready.”

Wanu slowly flipped through the images. Her mouth began to water as she felt the urge to vomit. She began rocking back and forth as her eyes glazed over. Sweat beaded on her forehead as she continued to remember.

“How long has it been since you took them?” Wanu asked, voice so quiet it was barely a whisper. Her voice was pained and frail as the process threatened.

“Long enough.” Nima smiled mirthlessly, a tinge of sadness staining his bottomless eyes. “Can’t worry about that.”

Wha had leaned her head back as the headache’s fury slowly built. She held a hand over her chest, where her heart once was. Her fingers tapped rhythmically as the sound of a beating heart emanated from her hollow sternum. The muscles on her temples pulsated, following the rhythm. Tears slowly leaked out of the corners of her eyes, pooling in the small divots of her tear ducts before trailing down her face.

Wanu curled up next to Wha, arms crossed as she hugged herself. Trying to steady herself, she pushed into the larger woman as pain wracked her body. Shivering, her teeth chattered. Biting her lips did little but cause smoke to billow from superficial injuries. She buried her face in Wha’s side as sobs of intense pain and shame overcame her prim facade. Heaving howls filled the room, accompanying the rhythmic beating of the nonexistent heart.

Nima sat silently and watched. His shadowed face stern, he observed his ancient duty as the keeper. The time was nearing when all of them would be needed. Even for the Tu’i, time continued its ineffable march as the future and past collided with the present.

---

The worst of the fits finally passed for the two Tu’i. Some time had been spent suffering under the immense weight of the forgotten knowledge their leader had held for them. After taking some time to compose themselves, the two women presented themselves to Nima once more.

“Tamai.” The two Tu’i spoke simultaneously as they bowed their heads to him and held their right hands over their hearts.

Nima waved them off.

They took their seats and sat, armed with more knowledge than when they had first entered the room. Unfortunately, the knowledge threatened to crush them.

“I’m sorry.” Wanu began, voice still small and quivering. “I know I--”

Nima shook his head and held up his hand. “Unnecessary.”

He hadn’t been trying to come off cold but he preferred to keep things moving along. Lingering was one of the things he rarely did.

Still, Wanu felt the immense guilt welling up within her chest. The usually composed Tu’i was having a hard time fighting the fresh tears that misted her eyes. “Vaha, please. Just let me.”

Nima sighed and nodded, eyes closed.

“I’m sorry. I say it every time, but I wish you didn’t have to do it alone. I know you haven’t shared everything but I need you to know that I’m sorry.” Her voice quivered as her eyes teared up. Her throat grew tighter with each word as some of the knowledge of what her friend had to endure replayed itself in her head.

“I-I--” She tried to continue but her throat tightened around the words as the tears finally fell. Time couldn’t heal all wounds, not wounds as deep and festered as the ones the Tu’i were the keepers of.

Wha sniffled next to her, looking at the endless abyss that was the ceiling of the room in an attempt to stave off the fresh flood that threatened. She fought the regret and doubts that assailed her. With memory came the knowledge of her glaring shortcomings.

“Tamai.” Wha’s voice was husky as she took over for Wanu. “Maybe this time. Maybe. I’ll be of use to you.” The words hurt as they eked their way out of her strained mouth.

They spent some time in silence as the two Tu’i attempted to recompose themselves.

Nima sat and watched impassively, patiently waiting for them to be ready to continue their much needed conversation. He had spent a long time dreading having to impart this kind of pain on his people again. Duty and obligation sucked.

When the sniffles finally calmed and the flow of tears were stemmed, Nima cleared his throat.

“With Hiku. You two already know, you have a choice. It’s one of the reasons why I chose to impart to you two so early this time.” Nima pulled his right leg up and over his left knee as he talked. “There are no wrong choices.”

The two Tu’i nodded as they listened. Both had already made up their minds.

“I’m going.” Wha said, nodding firmly. She hid a sniffle behind a hand.

“I will also go.” Wanu straightened her posture as she rubbed under her eyes.

“Then it’s decided.” Nima said as he leaned back. “Let’s begin the vows.”

__________________________________

In the meeting room, the rest of the Tu’i awkwardly sat and watched the numen.

What could have been hours or days passed in a quiet, uncomfortable silence as both groups waited for Nima and the other two Tu’i.

Talua sat watching the visitors, face an emotionless mask as they quietly waited for the commencement of the vows. Wha had explained beforehand and the Domain filled in the rest.

Hiku and her entourage sat patiently, waiting for the regent of the island to return. Rove and Vuvu whispered amongst themselves, still trying to suss out what Bue had seen when they had taken a look at the contract. Bue was still visibly frustrated, unable to share their knowledge. Hiku remained the picture of relaxed royalty, despite the niggling worries that lurked beneath the surface of her facade.

From behind them the sound of a door opening broke the stagnant quiet that had settled over the room.

Nima walked in with Wanu tailing behind him. He calmly walked back to his seat, plopping down as he shot an easy smile at Hiku.

“Well, things just got a little better for you. But first, we have business to take care of.” He snapped his fingers and another set of doors opened on one of the walls behind the visitors.

“I’ll need you all to wait in there until we’re done.”

 

Hey folks, just wanted to clear it up in case I was being a bit too obtuse during the chapter. My next handful of chapters are going to be flashbacks/slight character backstories. I'd be happy to explain in the comments if anyone is wondering what the hell I'm doing. Thanks for reading!

0