♧ [V1 || Chapter 09] ♧
690 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

The clattering sounds of dinnerware filled the spaces within the dining hall. For a long time, no one spoke to each other while dinner was being eaten. I didn't know whether it was noble etiquette not to speak at the table or maybe it just that nobody knew what to say. Either way, the awkward silence was driving me up the wall. I was close to forgoing my dinner and excusing myself, when suddenly Duke Alcmene, or rather my father now I suppose, spoke up.

".... Evangeline, how are you feeling?"

I turned to look at the violet irises sitting on my left.

"I'm doing fine, Duk—father," I quickly corrected myself. I have to get used to calling the both of them as father and mother from now on.

"Mhmm. I see, I see. Are you feeling any.... discomfort?"

"No? Not particularly"

"T— then, is there something you would like to share with us? You know that we're always here for you no matter what, right?"

I narrowed my eyes. I was starting to suspect that they were worried about something other than my physical health. My mother hurriedly cut in and spoke with a worried tone.

"It's just that .... you've been acting a little strange since you've woken up. Your father and I are worried about you"

Ah! So, that's what they meant. I guess that's to be expected. If it was Evangeline here instead of me, she would have caused some sort of trouble by now, even if she was recovering from an illness.

There was one time last week when I sneaked to the kitchen to grab a midnight snack and I overheard some of the maids gossiping about the previous owner of this body. Apparently, before Evangeline fell into a coma, she demanded her father to replace all the maids in the ducal house with maids from the royal palace. And, she did this simply because she was dissatisfied with the 'mediocre' servitude from her own servants.

I mean, what the hell? 

It's no wonder that none of the servants like her.... I mean, other than Marise who has questionable judgement.

Also, the most mind-boggling part? Her father actually attempted to do as his daughter requested! If it wasn't for Oscar, Duke Alcmene's aide, stopping him from proceeding with the papers, the incident would have caused a huge discord between the ducal house and the royal family. It's because of Duke and Duchess Alcmene's coddling that Evangeline did not know how to limit her behaviour. 

Ugh! That's just the kind of person she was—someone who didn't think of the consequences of her actions.

Anyways, back to the current situation at hand. 

I figured that it'd be brought up sooner or later so, I spent most of my recovery days trying to come up with the perfect response should the question arise. After that, I rehearsed my excuse over and over again, until I could basically say it in my sleep. Clearing my throat, I put on my best remorseful expression.

"Mother, father... When I was in a coma, I saw fragments about the life I have led so far. Looking back, I've realised that I had been a truly horrible, selfish person. I was filled with regrets and guilt when I woke up, even if I don't remember most of my dreams. And so, I've decided that I want— no, I must— change myself for the better," I lamented, dabbing my eyes with a handkerchief as an added measure. 

Wow. I should win an Academy award for my excellent acting. My parents were completely eating this up. Even the servants' eyes were bulging out from their sockets. 

Oh! But, wait. Here comes the cherry on top—

"Was it wrong of me to think such thoughts? Do you hate the new me?" I glanced at them, widening my teary eyes to give my best puppy-dog look. They were completely flustered with my words.

"Oh! Certainly not, my dear! You weren't an awful person before."

"Yes, your mother is right! We love you no matter what your personality is like. If you feel the need to change, then of course we will support you."

Aha! Hook, line, and sinker!

"Your humble daughter is grateful for your love and support," I smiled sweetly. They gave me a soft smile in return. I almost gave myself away because I wanted to snicker at the servants' 'What the hell is going on?' look on their faces. 

"Ah! I forgot to mention that after I woke up, my memory has been a little hazy. It's nothing to worry about however since it's probably a side effect from my coma. It's just that if I forget some things, please forgive me"

"Evangeline! Don't fret your pretty head. If you can't remember anything, we will help you. And if you can't take it anymore, we can always call Dr. Yulem to take a look at you. But, please let us know if anything much more serious develops, alright?"

"Certainly! Thank you, father, mother"

They both gave me a pitiful look, their eyes were even a little bit misty.

Since the mood is very good right now, shall I take advantage of it?

"Father, if it's not too much to ask for, may I request for you to buy me all the books about the history of the holy mages in the kingdom?" 

CLINK! 

My father dropped his spoon. Both of my parents and all of the servants in the room looked at me with shock.

"B—books about the history of the mages in the kingdom? All of them?" he stammered.

"Yes, all of them. Is that not feasible?"

"O—of course it is. There's nothing we wouldn't give to you. I'll ask the butler to call in a delivery from the bookstore tomorrow," he said, receiving a new spoon from one of the servants in a daze.

To be honest, I kinda knew that it wouldn't matter what I ask for since Evangeline's parents spoiled her silly. This was just to test the waters whether the novel really held true to the relationship between Evangeline and her parents. After all, it's weird that she had suddenly fallen fatally ill, despite it not being in the novel. Now that I've confirmed that my presence hasn't changed her familial relationships at least, I can forward my plans with ease. 

"Are my ears not working today or did the young lady just ask for books? Not dresses or even jewels? But, books?"

"Impossible! The lady hates studying when she was in the academy, much less read books in her spare time!"

"She must have had one heck of an epiphany during her com—Ah!"

A few servants spoke in hushed whispers but, quickly shut their mouths when mother gave them a sharp glare. It's not like I mind it but, I was kind of starting to get tired. This body was still too weak to handle even a simple dinner.

"I'll be retiring to my room now, mother and father. Please excuse me and enjoy your evening."

I bowed to my parents respectfully, leaving a room full of confused expressions behind.

It doesn't matter what they think of my 'newfound personality change'. They'll have to get used to it sooner or later. I'm not going to act like the character I dislike—that's just hypocrisy and I'd rather stab myself in the eye than act like her.

I do feel kind of guilty for lying to the Duke and Duchess though. They didn't have a single doubt about my acting earlier—no further questions, no "That's not my daughter! It must be an evil demon spirit possessing her!" (and yes that's apparently possible in this world), nothing! I kinda thought that they'd take my words with a grain of salt but, I guess I underestimated how much they love her.

As terrible as it sounds, Duke and Duchess Alcmene are complete pushovers when it comes to their daughter. If Evangeline says the sky is green, they'd probably agree and make sure everyone else in the manor does not dispute it. If she wanted the nation's treasure, Duke Alcmene would give it to her without a second thought, provided that father's aide doesn't stop him, of course.

I laughed in amusement. Hah! If I did something like this with my parents in my previous life, I'd no doubt get smacked on the head. Just thinking about it made my head throb from the invisible pain.

"Oh—!"

I felt a prick to my heart. I miss my family back home.

Even though I knew that I will likely never be able to go back to my original world, I still feel like I'm unable to let go of my attachments to it. I've read so many reincarnation novels in the past and usually, it doesn't go very far in my thought process. Died, transported to another world, live a new life? Sure! How exciting for them!

But, actually being in this situation? 

I mean, I've just lost my entire family, my friends, my home, and even my original world. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to save this world to survive, I probably would have been too depressed to even move out of bed. 

"Ugh! Stop that!" I scolded myself, slapping my cheeks.

I should be lucky that I reincarnated into a good household, not to mention the high status that comes with it. Besides, I can't afford to be distracted now. Let's put off all this soppy, teary business until after I've stopped Elijah's plans.

"Things will get busy really soon," I mumbled quietly.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

18