Prologue. What Else Do I Have to Lose?
4.3k 4 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Feng Xinya was an orphan. A war orphan to be exact, used as a cannon fodder and a major part of the frontline forces with his runes and bone sword made of his own spine. As the only surviving member of the formidable Feng clan, a human clan known for their overwhelming art of bone manipulation and rune engraving, both the humans and vampires longed to get their hands on him as an experimental subject and an ally.

The neutral Feng clan was destroyed by the humans' own greed as they ruthlessly slaughtered every member of the already scarcely numbered clan. They wanted their power to manipulate bones for themselves, so they performed many scientific experiments in hopes of transferring the bloodline to multiple soldiers to heighten their chance of winning the war.

The vampires eventually attacked the human camp that the lab was based in and attempted to take the Feng clan for themselves, but there was only one member left alive--Feng Xinya. With no other choice, they immediately burned down the entire camp after retrieving the dead bodies of the Feng clan members and took Feng Xinya in as their pawn.

Of course, to fully control him so that he couldn't rebel, they designated one of the four Generals of the New Empire to turn him into their own kind under a master and servant blood oath. The only way to undo the oath was to tear out the heart of the master and devour it. However, with restrictions like mind reading and the need to feed on the master's blood every week, in addition to the devastating strength that the masters often possessed, it was virtually impossible to gain freedom.

Feng Xinya had been a prisoner since he was 6 years old, and they waited for him to turn 18 until they turned him into a vampire. He was currently 24, and after a battle he would always be forced to return to the dungeon to be tortured for the information regarding runes, which he always replied with an arrogant sneer followed by silence.

Every time he was sent out into battle, he gladly hacked apart the humans and passively watched his fellow vampires be blown into smithereens by the humans sometimes even brazenly taking part in their massacre. Having been wronged by both races, why would he care about either of them? All he wanted was total annihilation. 

***

Xiao was finally free from training! He had been stuck in that system space for 10,000 years! The system god explained to him after he died in his original world that he was now one of those systems that he read about so much in those Chinese novels, so he thought he would finally get to be free and have some fun for once. Boy, was he wrong.

After telling him that he was now a system, the god simply threw a big fat book thicker than the height of the Shanghai Tower and prohibited him from leaving the space for the next 10,000 years.

Thankfully, the god didn't tell him that he absolutely must read the entire book, so after reading the first word of the title, he kept the book closed and slept. One thing he was really good at doing was nothing, since in his original world he was stuck on the hospital bed as long as he could remember.

He was prompted to leave, and he wasn't sure what kind of world he would find his first host in, but he was full of anticipation!

The space around him warped and turned black until he was in a complete world of nothingness. Suddenly, a loading bar popped up and took its time to fill up. After what seemed like another 10,000 years to Xiao, he was finally transferred into the world of his first host!

Except, as soon as he materialized as a cute little round metal ball with a single circular lens in the center, his figurative smile froze on his even more figurative face.

The world was dark as hell, with two moons. One was bright and white, illuminating the sky and was the only source of light. The other was directly across the world from it and was ominously red, giving the rest of the surrounding the same red hue. There were no stars, and even though he appeared to be in a forest the trees were all dead and they seemed to have been dead for a very long time. It definitely wasn't a seasonal thing.

Before he could observe anymore, he felt his body shifting and morphing into a different form as if conforming to the type of world this was. It took no longer than five minutes. When he was done, he flew to the nearest source of water that he found using his gogglr maps function.

In the black and murky waters reflected a silver rosary with an aureole. The rosary was the size of a hand with a round, deep red ruby gem embedded in the intersection of the bars. In the ruby was what seemed like a narrow-slit pupil. Yep, the ruby gem took on the role of the system lens.

He gogglr searched, "Where am I?"

The result made him 囧.

He was in a futuristic war-torn vampiric world of swords, magic, science, and technology. The world war was between two major forces--the human's Alliance and the congregation of vampires, the New Empire.

They had been warring for 200 years, and the younger and current generation of soldiers from both parties didn't even know why they were fighting anymore aside from survival. The higher-ups and older generation refuse to tell them much in order to keep morality at its highest. By this point, both sides admit they were wrong but with the high casualty count it was far too late to stop the war without a victor.

That's all the information he could find about the world. Stupid wikpdiea.

Suddenly, he felt his system senses tingling and he immediately tried to fly to where the feeling was strongest.

He found himself hovering above an ancient mausoleum. There were moss, mold, and algae all over it along with an overgrowth of vegetation. If he didn't feel the surging connection with whatever was inside the mausoleum he never would have known that it wasn't a hill.

Defying all logic, he flew through the walls of the mausoleum and found himself in a maze. Of course, he also went through the maze walls like a master's sword cutting through butter.

When the tingling feeling intensified to the max, he was floating in a dank and dreary room that reeked of the metallic scent of blood. The walls were dripping with blood, there were puddles of blood all over the floor, and the tools littered all over the ground were also fully coated with blood. It was a dark and bloody room for sure.

Originating from the modern world of 2018, Xiao was definitely not accustomed to this sort of setting so if he wasn't a system he would have hurled.

Through the piercingly quiet room resounded labored breathing accompanied by the occasional rattling of what Xiao assumed to be chains.

He went further into the room to find himself ruby to face with a pair of penetrating, ice-cold glowing scarlet eyes. In the darkness, they seemed to gleam especially brightly but it only made Xiao want to shiver in fear.

Xiao immediately backed away from the deadly and dreadful scrutiny of the large man. In the blink of an eye, the previously red eyes had changed into a majestic gold and glimmered even more brightly.

Now farther away from the figure who was chained to the rock wall by both of his wrists, Xiao noticed there was an old and broken skylight hatch directly above the chained man whose long, pitch-black hair rained over his shoulders and laid sprawled all over the floor around him like a waterfall. The dim white moonlight illuminated the man's figure almost like the spotlight in a play or theater performance.

He wore only a torn, white and bloodied T-shirt coupled with a pair of loose-fitting military slacks. The shirt was ripped directly in the middle, fully-exposing his enviable set of 8-pack chocolatey abs and impressively defined pecs that Xiao could only dream of having. Unfortunately, both of the undoubtedly sexy nubs on his chest were hidden underneath the rest of the shirt.

Marring his tanned skin were countless scars and gashes new and old, deep and shallow. There were also what appeared to be tattoos all over his body, small and large, most black and others a deep, dark red.

The man's vigilant golden gaze finally left the rosary floating less than two feet away from his face, letting Xiao breathe out a relieved sigh. The man's piercing then gaze shifted to the blood on his poor excuse of clothes and on the floor around him, flashing in disdain.

Having realized that this situation was low-key similar to that one novel he read right before his death, "Reborn as a System," where the system was bound to his psychopathic gong, Xiao feared for the worst but decided to go all in. He swiftly flew into the man's left palm and mustered the most chuunibyou voice and tone that he could,

"Do you want revenge?

"The ability to overcome all of your restraints?

"And the power to destroy--"

The man clenched the silver rosary that scorched ruthlessly into his skin. His alluring smirk revealed the sharp fangs hidden beneath his thin chapped and bloodied lips, "What else do I have to lose?"

No, Xiao is not Xinya's shou. :D

52