Chapter 38
2k 21 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 38. The reveal (1)

Two people were sitting in a cafe. The hot coffee they have ordered a while back has already started to grow cold.

'The atmosphere is really awkward.'

Lee Hyun thought as he stared at Harin who had her head lowered. She was just sneaking glances at him, like she was afraid of something. 

It was not like he couldn't understand why she was doing it. 

He had offered her a contract, but she had rejected without even giving a proper reason. 

It was normal to feel awkward!

"Um, why-"

"I, I saw the broadcast."

Lee Hyun opened his mouth to start the talk, but Harin spoke out suddenly as she raised her head to look at him. 

"You mean with Senior Im Sungho?"

"Y-yeah, I didn't know you were the composer behind Never give up. So, I was shocked. I even sang it in front of you. You must not have liked it."

Harin thought about the day Lee Hyun had come to see him in the bar. 

She had sung Never give up before him who was the actual composer of the song. She knew about her lacking skill, so she was embarrassed, but Lee Hyun shook his head. 

"No, I heard it well."

"You did?"

"Yeah, it was actually different from the original Lee Hyerin sang, but it was not bad at all."

Harin's face brightened for a second hearing that, but soon, she became hesitant. 

Lee Hyun drank the coffee and asked.

"So, why did you want to meet?"

He already had a hunch that Harin had changed her mind. There was no other reason for her to call him other than that. 

"My grandmother's condition is not good."

"Huh?"

The unexpected words surprised Lee Hyun, but he continued to listen to her.

"The doctor said they have to do an operation and it will take a lot of money, but…"

"You don't have the money."

Harin grimly nodded her head and Lee Hyun thought back to the day he had seen Harin's grandmother. 

She looked like a good grandmother who wished the best for her grandchild. 

"I thought about going to the loan sharks, but it was too dangerous. Then, I thought about you."

"So, you will sign with me if I give the money for your grandmother's operation?"

Harin hesitantly nodded her head. 

She thought that Lee Hyun would refuse as she was asking too much, but his words were surprising.

"I'm okay with that."

"Y-you are?"

"Yes. Like I said earlier, I really liked your singing. I want to make it heard all over Korea. There's no reason for me to refuse."

'I just have to focus on her singing, not her reasons.'

Lee Hyun thought inwardly.

In the end, it was not like they didn't have money. Mango Entertainment's main income was his songs and they have started to sell really well. 

It was to the point that they don't even have to look for investors for their girl group project in the future. 

"Thank you."

Harin lowered her head in gratitude. She was really grateful to Lee Hyun, but her expression suddenly changed when she thought about something. 

Something she needed to tell Lee Hyun.

The dark secret that she was hiding in her heart. The truth about her past and the time she was a trainee. 

Harin slowly opened his lips and stared at Lee Hyun who was smiling brightly. 

"Actually, I have something to tell you before signing the contract. It's related to my p-past."

"What is it?"

Lee Hyun asked casually, but Harin's expression was getting hesitant and darker by second. 

"It's something that will probably make you change your thoughts. You will even leave without saying anything."

"First, tell me what it is?"

Lee Hyun's expression also became serious. From Harin's tone, he can see that it was something really serious. 

Various things rang across his head, but he calmed down and waited for Harin to speak. 

'He will probably leave like others after hearing it.'

Harin thought as she lowered her head. Many agencies have approached her till now, but all of them have run away after hearing about her past. 

She couldn't become a singer even if she wanted to just because of her past. 

But she didn't want to cheat Lee Hyun too.

So, she has to say the truth to him. The probability of Lee Hyun dropping the idea of signing her after hearing about her past was 99%.

But there was still a 1% chance that he would believe in her.

Harin wished that the 1% would come true, but it was not in her hands. With complicated thoughts and a fast beating her heart, she opened her lips. 

"I, I actually have a record..."

"Cough, a RECORD??"

Lee Hyun nearly choked on his coffee hearing that. He shouted in a raised voice and Harin made a complicated expression.

"Yes, I killed someone in the past."

* * *

"You should have called before coming here."

"I wanted to meet you and there was something I wanted to talk to you about too."

Kang Minyuk looked at the woman in front of him. She was his long time girlfriend who he wanted to marry. 

She had a fair complexion with a bright face, but currently, her expression was complicated as she let Minyuk in. 

"Where are your parents?"

"Leave them. They are visiting a relative's house. It's better that they are not here or they would just create a fuss again."

His girlfriend's expression became dark when she thought about her parents who were against her marriage with Minyuk. 

It was not like she couldn't understand where they were coming from. 

Minyuk's current state was not good. He can't even feed himself. How will he be able to take care of her? 

Even Minyuk knows it well. 

"Should I cook something for you? You look thinner. Are you eating properly?"

Minyuk smiled at his girlfriend's worried gaze and shook his head. 

"It's fine. I came here to tell you something."

"What is it?"

His girlfriend asked with a confused face. She can sense that it was not a bad news. So, she was pretty calm. 

"I actually got an offer."

"An offer?!"

Minyuk's girlfriend's eyes widened hearing that. She was not able to believe it for a second. 

"Is it from a big agency?"

"No, the agency is pretty new, but the president is trustworthy."

His girlfriend hugged him hearing that. Slowly, tears started to flow out from her eyes. 

Minyuk and her had struggled together for many years and finally, things were working for them. 

"I have an audition on Friday."

Minyuk lightly patted her girlfriend's shoulder and said. 

"G-give it your best."

"I will."

"Release an album soon after that and shut up my parent's mouth."

"Sure."

"And…"

His girlfriend stared at him and a slight smile formed on her face.

"Let's get married quickly."

"... Yeah, let's do that!"

Minyuk also smiled and thought about the audition in anticipation. 

Don't kill me for the cliff.

38