Volume 1. Chapter 5.
1.3k 40 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I warned you from the start, my chapters were bad!

Don't forget to join my discord!

Advanced chapters are out. Patreon

Magic of Arteria Volume 1. Reunion Arc

Chapter Five.


I never expected to see someone to have the same body as mine, for reference, the chances a person having this body type is close to negative, according to The Great Sage. Let alone two, even a single person with this body would be even enough to cause terror, the reason why a limiter had been placed inside me.

 

“Angelica, are you alright?” Yui and Alina’s voice entered my ear as I turned around and smiled at them wryly before the two of them sighed. They sound relieved.

 

“Don’t worry about me, let’s head back to our seats before we disturb the diners here,” I said, walking back to our table with the girl on my hand. She was sleeping soundly; her face was gaining color.

 

People with this body type wouldn’t die from such attacks, the spells contained inside the body will activate to minimize the damages. Though with how young her body is, there is no way of knowing when the spell will deactivate by itself.

 

“How is the girl?” Alina asked as she sat down beside me while combing the girl’s hair with her fingers. Normal people would panic and shout at me to bring her to the hospital, which makes me laugh over how confident this girl is on me.

 

“She wasn’t injured that much; her body is recovering by itself; she should wake up after some time,” I answered before she sighed once again as the butler who took our orders came to our table with a pale face together with a female dressed in a business suit. She looked like the manager of this restaurant.

 

The female was a blonde, her eyes were rather gentle if I had to say, compared to the other people I met in the business world. From the looks of it, either we might be kicked out of the restaurant, asked for a repair fee.

 

I didn’t bother to look at the two of them, ignoring them while looking at the girl on my lap as her face slowly regained its original beautiful white color. The wounds on her cheeks were closing like a miracle.

 

An ordinary person wouldn’t be able to comprehend how she is healing that fast as they can’t see the frost mana engulfing her. It acts as a protective barrier, preventing people from touching her. I wouldn’t be able to touch her as well had it not been my frost mana being stronger.

 

As I was looking at the girl, an apologetic voice spoke from my side. The voice was that of a woman, causing me to be surprised as I looked at the woman with shock. The voice sounded familiar to me, even though it sounded a little bit too mature.

 

“I am sorry for the trouble the other diners have caused; we are grateful for you stepping in for the girl when no one had the heart to. As compensation, we will refund your payments with all the dishes…”

In the first few words, I already recognized her. Her way of speech has not changed a bit, formal. A little bit too formal. A girl whose dream was to become the very best chef in the world.

 

“No need, it would be disadvantageous to your business, Little May.” I interrupted while smiling.

 

“Little May…! Is that you, Sister Ann?!” the ‘woman’ beside me shouted in shock as I chuckled, pointing at the girl on my lap causing her to close her mouth abruptly.

 

The ‘woman’ was the youngest among the nine, and also the most miserable in economic scale. Before, she used to be scared of accepting the stuff we gave to her. Even spitting out fake excuses, she’s a kind girl but also a weak one in the heart.

 

“Sister Ann has grown way too beautiful; I didn’t recognize you at first! Even Ali grew a lot more beautiful, I feel embarrassed!” she said before suddenly noticing Yui who was sitting beside Alina.

 

The two of them stared at each other for a few seconds before May nodded to herself, waving her hand to the butler telling him to leave before sitting down on the sofa in front of us while staring at Yui with a weird look.

 

Have they met before? They don’t look like friends, nor do they look like rivals… May’s look on Yui was the weird one, Yui had a confused Pikachu look on her face while May had the cool girl look on her. It felt like she was trying to amaze Yui for some reason. But I could be wrong.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Yui asked, her face had turned into a ripe tomato while May had a grin on her face.

 

“It’s because I never expected someone to make me fall in love at first sight,” May said before shock filled my heart. I was not shocked by her sudden confession to Yui, but over how the feel around her changed.

 

May is not the kind of person to confess to someone, from what I can remember. She is a very shy person. Shyer than anyone I know, hearing her confess to someone straight at their face is something I never expected. The grin on her face is also something new. It’s as if she had turned into a different person.

 

Being suddenly confessed, Yui’s eyes opened wide. You could see the surprise on her face, her mouth was wide open, enough for flies to enter. Though, her surprised face didn’t last long as she shook her head and replied while stuttering at times.

 

“Sorry! I can’t accept your confession; I have someone else in my heart.” Yui answered.

 

It was the stereotypical way of rejecting a confession, even I had used that excuse dozens of times back in the days. I was worried over how May would react, knowing she was weak-hearted. I was afraid that the rejection might shatter her heart but contrary to my expectations.

 

Her grin grew wider, with her eyes filled with determination as she looked at Yui while speaking in a cool voice, “Don’t worry, I will capture your heart in no time. And, that is through the weakness of every human, food.”

 

After telling those words to Yui, she looked at me with her innocent look. You couldn’t tell she was the same person as a few seconds ago, her demeanor and aura completely changed. Almost like split-personality.

 

“Sorry about that, Sister Ann! I will prepare the dishes you have ordered; do you have any other to add?” she asked before the girl resting on my lap shook for a second, causing me to be surprised as I patted her forehead for a few seconds while answering.

 

“I’ll have something edible for children as much as you can make, don’t worry about the price. I have more than enough money, also while you are at it. Do you have any clothes for children of her size1Spoiler, the clothes were never used.?” I asked before May smiled.

 

“Don’t worry about the clothes, I still have some of the clothes you bought for me back then. It should fit her well; I’ll try and get it after I finished making the meals, it shouldn’t take long,” she replied as I nodded in response before looking back at the girl on my lap.

 

“I know you are awake, you little cheeky girl,” I said while pinching her cheeks as she shook her head before opening her eyes with an embarrassed look on her face. The mana around her was calming down, and her body seemed to have recovered completely which was a good sign.  

 

Combing her hair with my fingers, I asked her in the gentlest tone I could achieve, “Now, now. I won’t bite, don’t be afraid. Do you mind if I ask, who are your parents, and what is your name?”

 

If this girl is an abandoned child then I’ll take her in, I wouldn't let a person with such a terrifying body like mine live outside the streets. It is dangerous for the world if she falls to the wrong hands, I wouldn't let that happen as a prime member of the elite Arteria family and from the way, she stopped me from killing the man. I could tell she has a very kind heart, one worthy of being taken in by me.2I sometimes wonder what goes inside my head when writing this weeeks ago.

 

In response to my question, the girl shook her head. Her face looked sad as she spoke in a sad tone, “My parents died in a car accident a year ago, the orphanage I lived was abandoned a few months ago.”

 

She sounded mature for her look, and from what she had said. It seems like she had suffered under the curse of the body, a curse that brings misfortune during your childhood. It will only stop once it completely changes your life, in which my case was Kayla’s betrayal.

 

“Is that so, then how about you come with me? You can eat as much as you want, go to school, dress up like a princess and even sleep nicely,” I suggested while smiling at Alina as she nodded.

 

I know for sure Mom won’t disagree with me taking her in, she cares a lot about the benefits. I know her a lot, the only thing I am afraid of is whether she will train the girl like how she did to me. The way she trains people is brutal, even remembering it brings fear to me.

 

In a way, the Great Sage and she are the same in the ways they train people. Even the beliefs they have are the same. “Only through pain shall you grow,” is their belief, but compared to The Great Sage, Mom was a lot softer.

 

Hearing my question, the girl looked at me for a few seconds before asking like an adult, “If I follow you, will you train me to be stronger?”

 

I was stunned by her question; a child wouldn’t ask such a question. At most, they would only ask about the luxury benefits if they are brave enough.

 

“Why do you want to be stronger?” Alina asked before the girl looked at her with a smile. It was a smile complete with suffering, and eyes of determination.

 

“It’s because I want to stop children like me from suffering, back in the orphanage. We were bullied by the adults, forced to carry heavy things to the point of exhaustion. I want to be stronger to stop them.” she answered.

 

It was then I realized, I had truly underestimated how beautiful her heart was. It wasn’t just kind but pure as well, even though her wish sounds too immature. It still came from the depth of her heart.

 

“You are way too mature for a child, don’t worry. I will guarantee you that if you follow me, you will become strong enough to protect those little children. But as an exchange, you have to stop acting mature, be more like a child. Smile, you little girl!” I said while pinching her cheeks as she shook.

 

Her wish had made me understand that she is still a child inside, I don’t want a child to act mature in front of me. A child must act like one, spoiled… Well, I just want someone to act spoiled in front of me for once, Alina is way too mature!

 

Hearing my condition, she looked at me, frozen in place. It seems like she is troubled over such a simple condition, I pity her. My condition might have been too much for her, I think?

 

As I was deep in thought, the girl looked at me with a bright smile as a tear came from her right eye. It was tears of happiness, solace. I realized; she wasn’t frozen because she was troubled. Resting on my lap, she cried silently.

 

I could only imagine the pains she went through; I could sympathize with her. The suffering she went through was harsher than mine, I had luck while she didn’t.

 

“There, there. You can cry all you want, don’t worry.” I said before she hugged my waist tightly, burying her face as she silently cried. Her parents had died before she could enjoy happiness, the orphanage she went to, treated her as labor. And for a few months, she lived on the cold streets with only rags.

 

For a child, living in such a world was hell. No one deserves to experience what she had gone through. I sat there, lending her a place to cry. Combing her hair with my fingers, letting her know I was still here.

 

After a few minutes, her cries had stopped. I could feel her breath, she was now deep asleep. It seemed like crying took up all her energy, looking at her.

 

“There, there. You will be fine from now on,” I said before I stood up with her resting on my arms while looking at Alina and Yui who were silently sitting there, exchanging talks between themselves.

 

“You two, I’ll go take a breather outside. Call me when the food is ready,” I said before the two of them looked at me and nodded. Getting their response, I walked outside with the girl. The building was already slowly being repaired and from the looks of it, the man had already been kicked out of the restaurant.

 

I had let the man go too easily, had this little girl not stopped me. That man may have not see the light again, though he may never see the light even if he is alive. The device Mom placed on my dress should have already recorded everything that took place at that time, knowing her, she wouldn't let that person live happily.

 

While heaving a sigh, I looked at the face of the sleeping girl who I carried on my arms. She was thin but still adorable. I could tell she would become a beauty if given enough time to grow, her talent in Frost Magic may not be on par with mine but it is infinitely more than every other person in this world.

 

She had suffered enough from the curse, as an elder and a senior to her. I will compensate all those lost happy times of her, give her the happiness she looked for in her days. I have the money to do so, and also the time. It wouldn't hurt me spoiling her for years to come, rather it would benefit me.

 

I always wanted to spoil someone, ever since Alina entered my world. I wanted to spoil her, buying her everything but to my disappointment, she wasn't the person who wants to be spoiled. She likes to be independent, even working part-time behind my back.

 

Though, I managed to convince her to stop working part-time on the surface. Deep down, late at nights. She would work, designing crafts for other companies online, and earning a reputation there, I still remember her happy smile whenever she worked at night, thinking I was asleep.

 

I was convinced by her smile, from thereon, I let her do what she likes. As long as she limits it to the digital world, I don’t allow her to work outside the digital world. I always worry when something would happen to her outside.

 

While I was reminiscing, the girl who was sleeping on my arms suddenly mumbled. It was a soft mumble, but it gave me warmth.

 

“Thank you,” she mumbled.

 

Two simple words that come truly from the heart, it may not be much to others. But for me, hearing it directly from someone is a lot. I never get thanked for what I do, whether it be the directors on my companies or the higher-ups in the military. They think of me as a tool, money, or power.

 

I was overwhelmed with emotions, my heart felt warm. The two words I never expected to hear from someone, unconsciously I hugged the girl. Kissing her smooth forehead as I smiled, looking at her who was sleeping soundly.

 

“Elder Sister, the food is here!” Alina's voice sounded from the restaurant as I nodded in response before looking back at the girl on my arms and poking her cheeks.

 

“Nameless Girl, wake up already. Unless you don't want to eat,” I said while poking her cheeks before she shook her head, rubbing her eyes before looking around the place for a few moments.

 

“I forgot to ask you, what is your name again?” I asked before she looked at me, shaking her head.

 

“I don't have a name; I abandoned my old name,” she answered.

 

“Is that so, then are you fine with me giving you a new name?” I asked.

 

“Mhm,” she nodded.

 

What would be a good name for her? I want something that symbolizes her, one that doesn't disappoint her future reputation. A flower would be nice, what kind of flower. I thought before looking at her eyes which reflected a purple light.

 

“Hikari, that is your name from now on, okay? Hikari Arteria, remember that.” I said before she nodded, with a bright happy smile. Hugging my neck tightly as her warmth transmitted to my heart.

 

“Angelica! The food will be cold if you don't come!” Yui's voice sounded from the restaurant as I looked at the girl, Hikari with a smile.

 

“Let's go eat, okay?” I said before she nodded as the two of us walked back inside the restaurant with a smile.

I also want to ask the past me (from weeeeeeks ago), how did you write this?

Don't forget to join my discord!

Advanced chapters are out. Patreon

27