Chapter 7 – The Temple
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Feels ancient.  Like the gods put their fingers on the soil a long time ago."  Yun said quietly as his family walked through the front entrance to the temple.  An attendant was at the gate and heard Yun's words.

"Your words are wise, young one.  It is indeed thought that the gods once touched this land.  Can you feel it?"  The family stopped to pay their respects to the attendant, so Yun closed his eyes and listened.  His head tilted slightly, and he stayed silent for over a minute.  Then he smiled slightly.

"Nature thrives here, but there is something else."  The attendant blinked.

"What do you hear, young one?"  Few people would ever hear all of the things that were on the temple grounds, but after several years of reflection, the priests could feel something else here as well.

"Nostalgia.  There is a background sound that I've heard once before."  The attendant smiled slightly.  That was exactly what the priests would say.

"That sound.  Where did you hear it?"  Yun shook his head.

"I-I am not sure."  He frowned.  "It seems so familiar though.  If one lived near a waterfall for their entire life, what would be novel to others, would be familiar and part of the scenery to them.  If they were to move away, it would feel like a piece of their life was missing.  When they return, the sound soothes them.  That's what I hear."  The acolyte nodded, and smiled gently.

"Then something here is familiar to you.  Please, go inside."

 

 

"Go to the Head Priest.  Tell him that he must see this family."  The attendant said softly to a shadow.  The shadow disappeared like a mist.

"How can someone so young also know about this?"  He said softly to himself.  He had felt an excitement that he hadn't felt since he was a simple acolyte.  He could feel it within the sanctuary as well.

An underlying current of power that was always there suddenly felt just a bit stronger.

 

 

"This place....feels alive."  Yun said quietly as they passed through the temple grounds.  Rock gardens, well watered trees, rice paddies and fish ponds were all over the temple grounds.  At first, it felt unplanned.  "Father, why do the fish ponds drain into the rice fields?"  His father smiled.

"Its an old technique, but very superior to anything practiced elsewhere. Usually, a rice farmer will not raise anything but crops.  A fish farmer will only raise fish.  Here, in the temple, the fish take care of most of the pests, and every year, the fields move to other areas.  Similar to crop rotation for farmers, if they don't move the paddies or the fish, pests and diseases can become established.  From what I've heard, the temples keep meticulous records.  Since they can also survive on donations, they have tried different things for centuries, and always seek to understand what other gifts we have been given."  Yun carefully examined the temple grounds while they moved along the path that led to the temple itself.

There were only a few ornamental trees.  The rest were fruit or nut trees, or trees that bloomed in different seasons.  Yun had less then a basic knowledge of farming, and could not draw upon any experience in the growth of plants.  This reminded him that his knowledge was too shallow, and not varied enough.

"Father, do we have any books on agriculture at home?"  Shun turned his head only slightly.

"We don't.  Most of what we know is traditional knowledge, passed from generation to generation.  However, what you seek can be acquired."  Yun sighed.

"Looks like I'll be going on a hunt or two when I get home."  Shun chuckled.

"It's good to want to acquire knowledge, but also experience must accompany said knowledge.  Perhaps you can do some odd jobs at the local farms, and they can teach you some things.  I will check with our neighbors later."  Yun nodded, a slight smile in his eyes.

Yun always wanted to do gardening, but the opportunity never presented itself.

 

 

"Welcome.  Please."  The robed acolyte stood aside and gestured to the open door of the temple.  The temple reminded Yun of some ancient temples he once saw online.  Although he loved castles, and old temples, he also knew he had no clue about the reasons behind most of the designs.  The one thing he learned about was one of the simplest methods to hold up the weight of large structures, and prevent them from swaying.  A buttress, or more specifically, a flying buttress, was primarily designed for strength, yet a good architect could design those details so they appeared to be purely decorative.

However, that was all that Yun knew about architecture. The reasons why buttresses, domes, and arches were such strong shapes and or why they were used as structural aspects of these temples completely escaped his reasoning.

The acolyte led around a waterfall fountain, with no visible means of draining out, yet water still poured gently into the basin at the bottom, fed by an intricate trough that ran around the main part of the room.  The pool maintained its level while the water flowed in, which made Yun begin to understand how clever the craftsmen of the past actually were.  Of course, he had no idea where the water originated, or how it escaped the fountain's pool, but he greatly admired the cleverness of these ancient craftsmen.

In spite of his admiration for the temple, and its designers, he could sense something else about the environment that was only on the edge of his consciousness.  It wasn't just the life he sensed.  It was something else that he didn't have a name for, or a recognition of.

"In here, please."  They were led into a modest room, lined with bookshelves, and mats laid on the stone floor.  There were two other acolytes in the room, and one more person.  Although they were almost sure this was someone of some influence, they were surprised when he was introduced.

"This is Qiyuan Huan.  He is one of our Elders here in the temple."  The acolyte was instructed to only introduce him as an elder, when in reality, he was much more.

"You are Zhao Liang Shun?"  He asked quietly.  Shun knelt on the mat in front of the elder and bowed low.  He gestured to the rest of his family to do the same.  Yun was not practiced in this kind of bow, something he remembered was called a kowtow, a bow that showed deep respect, and reverence.

"I am, Elder Qiyuan."

"Please, lift up your head.  It is difficult to speak when you face the floor."  His manner was polite, and even a little humorous.  It was obvious that this elder was good natured.  "Tell me, why have you come to the temple?"  When Shun lifted his head, he noticed how the elder's beard was tucked into his belt, which spoke of how long it was.  The hair on his head was cut close, but his beard had not been cut for several decades.

When faced with this elder, Shun felt his composure weaken.  There were few reasons for a temple priest to not shave, and one of them was a vow.  A vow taken seriously for decades had to be respected.

"I am not sure if Elder Qiyuan is aware, but within the last year, there was an attack on the border."  The elder nodded.

"I am aware.  An army that was repelled, correct?"  Shun nodded.

"A professional army, with supplies, leaders, and full command structure in place.  No flag."  The elder's eyes narrowed only for a brief second.

"These details were not passed on to me.  However, that does not explain why you have brought your entire family with you.  There must be another reason."  The elder waited patiently, although he was also disturbed at the information received.  In his eyes, the local governments have failed in their duties to pass the appropriate information along.

"During the attack, my eldest, Yun, was stuck with a mace.  I feared that he had died.  But my youngest incited him to rise again.  He helped support the counterattack, and we routed the enemy."  The elder smiled.

"You must be proud of his strength."  He waited for Shun to formulate his thoughts, as the story was not yet complete.

"His injury was near fatal, as a blow to the head almost always is.  During his recovery, while unconscious, he became confused, and spoke while asleep.  He was surprised me and my wife were still alive, and claimed to have seen our stones."  The elder priest felt something move within himself.  His heart hammered in his chest.

"Is this true?"  He asked, visibly shaken.  "Did he...return from the gate?"  He looked at the family again, and picked out the one who was the eldest.  His eyes stared hard at Yun, and he nodded.  "Indeed, he has returned from the gate!  His eyes....they show an age beyond his present one!"  Shun nodded carefully.

"Elder Qiyuan is indeed correct.  This is my eldest son, Yun."  He turned his head.  "Yun, hand it to me."  Yun took something off his back that was wrapped, and slid it to his father.  Yun then slid it towards the elder.  "This is the design of a weapon that Yun asked to be made for him.  After he returned to life."  The elder looked excited, and took the linen wrap off the weapon.  He looked confused at first.

"This is what he designed?"

"These are two halves of one whole.  The handle slides into itself, and twists to lock in place."  Elder Qiyuan looked to his left, then his right, then stood up.  The two acolytes stood up, picked up the two pieces, and fit them together.

"I see it!"  The elder stated excitedly.  "Surely, this is a weapon of the gods!"  The elder could see how the polearm could easily do its job.  It could be in multiple places at once, and come apart to be wielded like the owner had two swords.

"This is the original design.  Yun made a second weapon based on this design, but had to alter it slightly for his hands."  The elder nodded.

"Yes, one can see how the metal would ruin the skin on a man's hands, but the hands of a god would not be wrecked!"  Shun stayed silent while he waited for the elder to consider what he would next ask.

"Tell me, is there anything else the boy was taught?"  Shun sighed.

"There is, but the knowledge is....dangerous."  Elder Qiyuan looked at the acolytes, and gestured to them.  Immediately, they put the weapon down on the floor, left the room and closed the doors.

"We are now alone.  Please, tell me what he learned."  Shun lifted his eyes.

"Yun found out that the toll of his parents' skills is our vitality."  The elder nodded.

"It has been this way for centuries, if not longer."  Shun looked away.  "What's wrong?  Tell me quickly!"

"Yun was able to combine my wife's skill, Ghost Steps, and my own, Bloody Edge, and able to execute it without training, or extended observation.  It was also not performed in a battle, or a duel."  The elder's mouth fell open.

"How is that possible?  Skills are gifts of the gods!  They are passed to us in the times of our greatest need!"  Shun nodded.

"This is also what I have believed all my life.  But this is not the most significant part.  The skill did not ask for Yun's vitality as compensation."  Elder Qiyuan's face turned pale.

"What?  But there is always a price!"

"This time, food was the fuel.  And not just a normal quantity.  Food disappeared as soon as it entered his mouth.  He ate enough food in one sitting that a hard working man would eat in two to three days."  The elder looked shocked, then he sat back down on his mat, and began to contemplate all he had learned that day.  After nearly half an hour of persistent meditation, he nodded.

"I see.  He saw your deaths.  He learned that skills steal your vitality.  That was his greatest need, and desire.  To find a way to make the skill not claim your lives.  That is the gift the gods gave him."  He nodded again.  "This is indeed dangerous information.  It can help our empire greatly, but if its learned by others without good intentions, they could wreak havoc, and perform wicked deeds that would surpass even our greatest of villains, Xingshi."  He thought for another moment or two.

"You must set up a dojo, Zhao Liang Shun.  We will search out appropriately influenced individuals to attend your dojo, and only those approved by the temple will attend your classes.  Can you fuel your skills the same way?"  Shun shook his head.

"Not yet, Elder Qiyuan, but I shall learn Yun's gift, or I shall hand the lessons over to him."  The elder nodded with a satisfied smile.

"Good.  Is there a name for this weapon yet?"

"Wan Shen Ji Zhixing."  The elder's eyes grew brighter.

"I understand, but it is too much of a mouthful.  How about Wan Zhixing? The Night God's Halberd of Execution shall be its full name, but when referred to in casual conversation, Night Killer is a bit more accurate."  Shun kowtowed again.

"I have already discussed this with Yun, and if my father were still alive, he would agree.  The original should remain in the care of the temple."  The elder already expected this gesture, but his eyes brightened in excitement anyway.

"Do not worry, Zhao Liang Shun.  This weapon will be placed among our holy relics after being dedicated to the gods.  It will be protected from those who would wish to use the power of its design for wicked purposes.  Within the next six months, we will send upwards of twelve disciples to your home for training in this new art.  Do not share this with anyone other then who the temple approves."  Shun kowtowed again.

"As it was Yun who was given this gift, it shall be named after the epithet he is called.  Elder Qiyuan, our family will guard the Art of the Ogre carefully."

 

 

"Master Qiyuan."   The old man smiled.

"I know I have summoned the elders here without prior notice, but this could not wait."  He held up the weapon left by Shun.  "This is a weapon designed by someone who came back from the gate."  His words left the seven other men in shock.

"Master Qiquan, are you sure?"  He nodded.

"There is no doubt in my mind.  The boy who designed this weapon had only been on the battlefield once, and is not yet a full grown man, in spite of his current size.  The head wound should have killed him.  But he not only came back to life, he also fought on the battlefield and secured the victory.  During his recovery, he woke up confused, and told his parents that he had seen their stones."  This made the room deathly silent.  "When he recovered, he designed this weapon."  He took it apart, and held it like two swords, ready for battle.

"So it is true!  He really did come back from the gate!"  There were a few of such claims from the other elders.

"But beyond that, the gods gave him another gift."  They looked at him in confusion.

"More then one gift?  That's never been heard of.  What is it?"

When Master Qiyuan told them the rest of the story, they looked at each other silently.  They knew that this information could not be spread.  However, what could they do with something so dangerous?

If they tried to destroy this knowledge, it could bring disaster upon their entire empire.  The gods were notorious for not only their gifts, but also for their retributions, and curses.

"Do not worry. I have found a solution that should satisfy the gods, and show proper respect for their gift."  And so Clan Elder Qiyuan laid out his solution.

 

2