Chapter 13 – By The Gods
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Master, why are these disciples being whipped like this?” Elder Qiyuan stood near the next set of disciples that were chosen to be sent to Yun for training.

“This is the punishment that they deserve. These disciples committed crimes against the gods, the one chosen by the gods to teach, against the temple, and against the Elder Council.” He looked into their faces and saw their shock.

“Why would they do such things?” Elder Qiyuan smiled gently.

“They were too arrogant and immoral. They believed their positions in their clans, even within the temple, was by their own skills and their own strength. They grew conceited because of it, and bullied the weaker ones among their brothers who had not yet mastered their chosen weapons.” He looked at their faces, and let a bomb drop. “They also disrespected one of their teachers.” Their jaws dropped.

“They....why....how could they do that? The gods chose the teacher, so giving disrespect to one chosen by the gods is a horrible crime!” The rest nodded in agreement. Elder Qiyuan smiled a small smile.

“Then remember this lesson. When you arrive at the dojo, arrive on time, and show respect to your teacher. If you do not, the punishment may be even harsher. Your class has been warned, while they were not.” The disciple frowned slightly.

“Why were they not warned, Master?” The look in the elder’s eyes seemed to spit fire, as the elder was filled with anger.

“Their teacher was chosen by the temple! Should they be warned to be respectful, or should it be expected? No more questions! If you do not wish to have this opportunity, speak now!”

 

 

“Yi, you idiot. Why did you anger Elder Qiyuan like that?” They walked towards the village of Kald, with no one left behind. There was a consensus among the students that they should do everything right on this trip.

“I didn’t think before I spoke, Brother Qing.” His cheeks coloured a bit. “It was a stupid question, wasn’t it?” The others laughed.

“The temple chose the teacher. To not show respect to the teacher is a crime, not only against the teacher, but against the temple. They should not have to spell it out. If this teacher came to the temple, and this same attitude was present, do you think it would be tolerated?” Yi shook his head.

“Not a chance. It doesn’t really make sense. Why would they be so disrespectful of a teacher?”

 

 

“Do you think they will be like the others?” Shun quietly asked his son. Yun shrugged.

“I didn’t have a good first impression of those disciples, but I doubt it. We’ll see if the temple can redeem itself with this bunch.” His voice was quiet.

“Then until they arrive, you should continue to practice the movements of our Hu family's martial art. Your mother and I will continue to arrange the supplies necessary to build the dojo. It was a polite gesture of the temple to send not only the fees of the first class, but also to forward the fees of the new class. It will allow us to build a proper building to keep the rain off during bad weather.” Yun nodded.

“Thank you, father. A master of the sword and two skills should have a place to teach his students.” Shun bowed his head. He knew his son had more then two skills.

“I understand, son.”

 

 

“I heard his words, Shun. I think he forgives you.” He looked at his wife, and saw a gentle look in her eyes. He had not seen that look since before Yun’s injury.

“I really hope so.  He is my son.” He thought about the dowry he would have to put together for his daughter, and could now see that it would no longer be small like they expected. Biyu smiled.

“Then let's make sure that the plans are complete before we start.” She sat down at one side of the table, while he sat in front of the plans. “These are of a complete building, but we should build it in parts. A roof with pillars to hold it up. Archways to add strength, then as we are able, add the training floor and walls.” Shun smiled a small smile.

“This is Yun’s dojo, but we design it. Doesn’t it feel as though he wants to prepare for Shen’s future?” Biyu frowned slightly.

“Why do you say this?” She sounded a bit upset, but Shun held up his hand to stall any arguments.

“He has many gifts of the gods, but wants to build a dojo, and gives us the funds from the classes.”

“That is true, but that....” He held up his hand.

“I had not finished, Biyu. Look at that weapon rack.” She turned her head and stared at it. Before she could see what he meant, a few minutes had passed. “Wait, is that Shen’s practice sword?” Shun nodded.

“And beside it?” Her mouth opened and closed twice before she could speak.

“Coral’s. Does he plan to leave?” Shun shook his head.

“Not within his thoughts, but something does pull him outward from here. Why else would he be able to learn so many gifts, and without much effort? He doesn’t fear the forest, or the animals within in. I’m not even sure if he fears the blade, or the man behind it. I will teach him as much as I can before the gods call him to his appointed path.” Biyu sighed sadly.

“Ever since that mace put him on the ground, he’s been different. Stronger. Older.” She remembered his eyes when he woke up. “Far too old for a sixteen year old man. How long was he at the gate, Shun?” Her husband avoided her eyes, but he finally spoke in one of the softest voices she had ever heard him use.

“I do not know.” She didn’t know if it was from guilt at not being there to guide her son, or another emotion he didn’t wish to give a voice to.

 

 

“Excuse me, sir. Are you the teacher of this dojo?” Shun turned his head and suppressed a smile.

“No, disciple. That young man over there is the instructor your temple arranged.” He bowed.

“Thank you, sir.” He walked towards Yun, which caused both Biyu and Shun to watch with less concern than before. The rest of the disciples followed after him in a disciplined line. Yun stopped his sword practice, and waited.

“Excuse me, sir. Are you the instructor the temple arranged for us?” Yun nodded. The disciple smiled. “Elder Qiyuan didn’t warn us you were a young man. He probably wanted to test our devotion to the temple, and the gods.” Yun smiled.

“Most likely. Everyone, I am Yun, son of Shun, of the Hu family. Are any of your members masters of their weapons?” One hand was raised.

“I am a sword master, teacher.” Yun nodded. Their respect was on a different level then the previous students.

“Do any of you know any skills?” Only the swordsman raised his hand. “What is your skill, and can you explain how you received your gift?” The student bowed and smiled a bit.

“It was in battle, like all other skill holders. I was overwhelmed by the enemy, and was desperate to find a way to escape their encirclement. As the soldiers approached, I did the only thing I could think of. I swung my sword at the circle, and prayed that I would escape with my life. When I woke up a few days later, I was told that the soldiers were cut in half as though they were paper.” Yun thought for a moment.

“I see. Now, the things you see here are an absolute secret of the temple. I will demonstrate something that no one else will be able to replicate. At least you won’t be able to at first.” He walked to the side and started to gather some training dummies. The other students frowned slightly, but they also started to help.

“Teacher, instruct us on what we should do, and we will do it.” Yun smiled.

“Sorry, I am not used to being an instructor of martial arts. What you will learn in this class is a way to fuel your skills that I alone was given the knowledge of. I will teach as I have taught my parents. What is your name, sword master?” He smiled and bowed.

“I dare not accept that title. I am Lan.”

“Lan, place the training dummies in a circle, similar to the way the soldiers trapped you.” He nodded, and looked at his fellow classmates.

“With me as the center, place each dummy around me, five feet away. There must be no gap greater than a foot.” Yun waited as the dummies were readied. “This is what they looked like, teacher.”

“You’ll notice that to the side, there is a fire pit with a boar being roasted.” They turned towards the fire pit, and took note with a strange look on their face. “There is a reason for this. You will not believe it until you see it. That is why I show you.” He stepped into the circle, and gestured to Lan. “Lan, please take the students a prudent distance away from here, and watch. I will show you your skill.” Lan frowned.

“I don’t understand.” Yun smiled a small smile.

“I know, but don’t be concerned. Just respect the temple’s decision to send you to me.” He stepped outside and had the students stand fifteen feet away. “Now watch.” Lan’s eyes bulged.

“By the gods.....”

0