prologue to the life as we know it
621 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An older sister held closely onto her little brother.

Together, Mother led the way forward in utter darkness. Her right hand was bright like a torch, fingertips welded with a searing fiery blaze. The only light source in this wilderness. Cutting through the thick branches and tangled vines with intense heat. Looking back to guide the two worried children through the vast overgrown vegetation. But always careful to not draw any attention.

Loud screams from the village behind, now a horizon away.

"Stay focused and steady your breathing, my loves," Mother slashed her hand forward as another dense patch of vines fell. "Your fear will attract them."

Oto took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Amae extended a hand to help him climb over a fallen mossy log. Treading on and trying to keep close behind Mother. Both legs starting to feel sore.

The black forest grew thicker with each minute. Shades of the ominous Blood Moon shone through the crevices of the dark foliage above, rustling endlessly from the chilly autumn breeze. An eerie landscape with only the lone sounds of their collective footsteps. Mother explained it was better to split off from the others as being in nature will help cover their tracks.

Sudden howling in the distance.

"Wolves. They must have picked up our scent," Mother beckoned the siblings over to a hilltop. "Move now!"

While sprinting up the steep slope, Oto slipped from a wet patch of mud. Bad footing. A lack of balance and vision. The little brother fell backward, tumbling through jagged stones and thorny shrubs before collapsing on a tall grass patch. 

Head aching. Ears ringing. The world around him was hazy.

After a few seconds, the little boy cried out from shock and clenched tightly onto his wound. His ankle throbbed. It was an indescribable pain. Worst he had ever felt. Mother instantly leaped down from the elevation ahead, landing beside and crouching next to him. Amae rushed over soon after and covered her widened mouth. Both of their crimson-red pupils filled with distraught.

"No..."

"You're going to be okay," Mother soothed while Amae watched with teary eyes. "Look at me, Oto. Stay calm. I'm here to protect you."

Mother gently rubbed his head, chanting mysterious phrases. He did not understand the meaning but motes of pretty blue light appeared like tiny fireflies. Familiar as it was Mother's. Falling into a light peaceful trance. The throbbing pain started fading away.

Eyes starting to close. Exhausted. Amae leaned in quickly, trying to keep him awake with tears running down her cheek. Talking about all the fun times they will have together. Caught glimpses of Mother ripping a part of her beautiful black cloak. The feeling of soft fabric being tied to his ankle. 

Eerie croaking sounds of ravens flying in the air.

Followed by screams again in the distance. This time, not human.

Oto's heart froze from the deafening feral cry. It was obvious that the sound was not from this world. Thoughts of being hunted and ripped into pieces as he could barely move. Mother and Amae talked urgently. Never seen them this worried while examining his wound again. Feeling worried. Scared of being abandoned. Pain returning.

Eventually, Amae lifted him up from the mud, carrying his little body on her back. She took a deep breath and followed Mother, now moving at a rapid speed.

"I'm sorry..." Oto muttered weakly.

"No, it's my fault. I should have been watching over you."

He hugged her tightly, constantly apologizing for falling. She said it was okay and that he was doing great.

"We are family and we will always support each other. I promise — Mother and I will never leave you behind, little brother."

Amae glanced back with dirt and sweat on her teary face. But her constant reassuring smile warmed his heart.

Raindrops fell relentlessly as they sprinted up the steep hillside. Fewer trees meant less cover. Oto's dirty hands now shivering and trembling, trying to keep warm with his older sister. He wished he had brought his fluffy blanket. She had wanted to bring her favorite hand-sewn dress too. But apparently, there was no time. Mother would not allow it after the belltower rung, waking the entire village from slumber. They were forced to leave everything behind besides their midnight-black cloaks and the mysterious leather satchel Mother was wearing.

Sorceress Noril never believed Oto could remember his childhood with such vivid details. The long green-haired mentor said such a skill was nearly impossible, even for a talented magician. She thought Oto heard these memories from Amae since he was five years old at the time.

But deep inside his heart, the young boy knew his master was wrong. Even if she was right about every magic lesson, this was the one thing where he was absolutely certain.

After all, Oto remembered everything in his life as clearly as a written storybook. Their cozy hilltop cabin with a fruit and vegetable garden. The peaceful life he once had in a coastal village with a dreamy white beach. One filled with many familiar faces, but no longer seen around here.

After venturing deeper into the unforgiving wilderness, Mother and Amae took turns carrying Oto on their back. Despite looking exhausted, they were attentive and asked the little boy if his knee still hurt. He said no even if it did. Vowed in his mind to be strong like them.

Clinging to his dear family, traversing through the harsh rain and unfamiliar lands, with the Blood Moon shining ominously above. Resting in tight crevices and small cave openings. Fading in and out of consciousness.

Mother and Amae kept pushing forward, seemingly protecting him always.

Encountered a small pack of wild mountain wolves near the chilly summit, howling and barking in hunger. Must have been waiting for them. Mother took several steps forward without fear. Her crimson-red eyes became sharp and focused, almost glowing. Both of her hands were now surging with bright blue flames. Amae held onto Oto close in her chest, saying not to look. He nodded and shut his eyes.

Aggressive snarls and taunting shouts.

Wolves and Mother's.

These memories felt overwhelming at times.

Thinking about this particular moment often left him drenched in cold sweats. He could still physically feel the unrelenting raindrops and the icy mountain breeze, paired with the stressful breathing of Mother and Amae. Sometimes, it felt like he traveled back in time. But unable to change the past and rewrite the story to a happier ending.

After summoning a vast wall of wildfire, Mother shot the flames forward to the leader of the pack. The white wolf leaped forward aggressively. Biting into her right arm as she instantly cast a piercing fire bolt from her other palm.

Intense howl before its furry body turned scorched black, falling lifelessly on the now burnt plains. The remaining wolves barked and whimpered before fleeing the scene.

Mother's right arm bleeding from a deep bite wound but she smiled victoriously. Bloodied. Grinding her teeth. Amae looked concerned but she waved her hand and maintained a strong smile. A smile that told the frightened children to not worry. Familiar blue motes of light appeared near her injury while she applied pressure, coughing for a few seconds.

Traversing down the rocky mountaintop. Houses in the far distance below, with a deep moat and high iron walls surrounding the town. The buildings looked bright and appeared safe from harm. The possibility of a new home, becoming the place where Amae and Oto live now. Mother led the way forward with her remaining strength, creating a path downward despite one arm limping.

A high drop through the thick leaves and wooden branches. Falling down. Mother's magic softened the harsh landing. Collapsed onto a patch of tall grass across the open plains.

Crawling forward with one arm, Amae begged Mother to open her eyes.

Hope was within their reach.

But they no longer had the energy to stand up or call for help. It had been about hours of harsh travel, without any food or water. The injuries were not properly tended while the wet raindrops had soaked most of their clothes.

Mother pulled Oto and Amae close. One in each arm. That was all she could muster as she coughed again. This time with blood in her mouth.

As the morning sun started to rise, Mother whispered something under her weary breath. Motes of beautiful blue lights materialized from her figure and floated toward the two crying siblings. Shielding their cold shivering bodies. Feelings of indescribable warmth and comfort as she embraced them tightly, placing her leather satchel in between the siblings.

He felt her unconditional love — a feeling he will never forget.

"Amae, Oto, I don't have much time left."

Mother soothed her children with loving kisses on the forehead, whispering in her forever gentle voice:

"You're my precious treasure. My wish has always been for the two of you to be happy. I'm certain that life will become tough and challenge you in countless ways. But no matter what happens, support each other with everything you have. Know that I will always watch over you."

Mother smiled beautifully as she closed her eyes and leaned back on the muddy ground.

"I love you two so much."

Eventually, DT found them during a scouting patrol.

The veteran warrior discovered Amae and Oto laying in the fields, near the ranches by the outer farmlands. Both feebly weeping in the last embrace of their cold and lifeless Mother.

"If you can remember this vividly about the past, then you must remember your Father," Sorceress Noril often questioned Oto with a challenging smirk, pushing up her circular glasses. "Where was he during all of this?"

Even if Oto had a Father, he was nowhere to be seen. Not since the beginning. He could remember everything about Mother and Amae but Oto did not know his name nor recognize his face. His older sister felt just as lost as Mother always avoided the topic. This was a mystery they will probably never solve now.

Living was hard. Oto often retreated back into his childhood memories, seeking happiness in the past, trying to forget the painful reality of the present. The days when everything was simpler and everyone lived together in their comfy home on the hilltop.

Mother would grow her favorite fruits in their backyard while Amae helped around the house and practiced magic. He would often run around and ask to help them out, occasionally causing some mischief. Warm laughter often filled the air. When the days were nice and sunny, they would bring Oto to the local shops to run errands. Every night, Mother cooked a delicious homemade soup that warmed his body and soul. She always said that love was the main ingredient. 

Those were the good old days.

A far and distant memory to Amae but always clear and familiar to Oto.

Growing up in Sorceress Noril's large hilltop mansion with Amae. She was this town's magician. Quite famous for her ability to move lands and bless crops. A lover of rare books. Sleeping in the same but unfamiliar large bed with Amae. Everyone else in Longden had small compacted houses and shared public spaces. Mother would have been happy since there was much space for gardening.

Sorceress Noril explained a magician is always given priority. The main reason was that not everyone could use magic. Only a lucky few were born with the mystical power to tap into the nature around.

"If your Mother did not cast her protection magic and left her mark that day, then I doubt the Elders would have agreed to take you two into our town. Some still refused until they confirmed the Magician's Sigil on the satchel. Reality is cruel, little ones."

Adjusting to the new environment. Getting used to the vast space in the mansion and their new caretaker. Gradually growing, both in mind and body. Learning more about daily life in the new town — through watching and doing. Amae was the best role model and often helped Oto when he struggled with harder tasks like cooking and cleaning. Although she seemed to stop smiling since that day.

Sorceress Noril began to train Oto in the ways of magic, like she did with Amae when they first found them. He was excited. He wanted to follow in his older sister's footsteps. Walking beside her instead of behind her.

Oto was a fast learner since he could remember every incantation and every spell with one look. But there was more to magic than memorization. It required one to practice. To dedicate time to the art of doing. Meditation. Connecting the self to nature's overflowing power. Finding the element that he would find an instant connection with. Such training was often exhausting, as if his physical and mental energy was constantly being drained away. He wondered how Mother had become a great magician.

"Concentrate your energy and imagine what you intend to do," the Sorceress instructed on their first week of lesson. "If you can lift the teacup with magic alone, then everything else will come easy."

Soon enough, Oto struggled for days, which turned into long weeks and then stressful months. He doubted he would be a strong magician like Amae since she learned all the basics within a month.

But the mentor patted his head and laughed:

"Compare yourself not with others but with you from yesterday. What you gain through hard work will never betray you, little one."

Outside of daily training, the young Oto discovered that he would never fit in. All the other children were wary of the magician's new apprentices, especially since they were outsiders. Many parents often warned them not to tease Oto, in case the Sorceress places a curse on their household. Still, the growing boy often cried that he could not make any close friends as he could remember every rejection.

"Why won't they play with me...?"

"That's the life of a magician," Sorceress Noril patted his head as she added raw onions and ginger, stirring her spoon in the boiling cauldron. "We are good to have when there are natural disasters and broken bones. But people will always treat us differently because we possess a power that's unimaginable to them. How about a taste of my special soup to cheer you up?"

But it was not all bad.

There were many gifts and offerings when their spells helped Longden prosper. Respect was embedded in their title as most people bow to greet them. He also learned that magicians must live a distance from the public. The higher elevation the better as their power comes from being in isolation with nature. This meant their housing was comfortable, on a similar level as the town's Elders. Sorceress Noril often boasted Longden was one of the best compared to the other settlements.

"Life here is not as stressful as the big city. And there are always options here compared to the countryside. Longden's a really nice balance with a community that cares for each other. I might just retire here, little one."

An abundance of delicious food was always available to them, especially when Amae was learning her Magician Duty with Sorceress Noril. The mentor said something about the teenage boys wanting to win her heart. She was a beautiful young lady after all. Oto often furrowed his brows and bit his lips while the Sorceress teased knowingly. 

As expected, many people in town often compared Oto to Amae, wondering if the growing boy could become as strong as her. Having three strong magicians in town would make people feel safe. But Oto knew he was no match for his older sister. After all, Mother always told Amae to protect him, and not the other way around. Sorceress Noril seemed to feel the same as she was granted the freedom to roam the town and help those in need.

Only a few people treated him normally. One of them being the white-haired DT. He was the village chief for Longden back then but officially retired from his duties, now becoming the town's leading patrol officer. An experienced war veteran with a kind heart.

By the hillside, Oto often watched him teach the young teenagers how to swing a sword or fight with their bare hands. It was his special combat training class. Popular across town as some parents would have picnics nearby. He also taught survival classes to many people on the weekends. Sometimes, he would even invite Oto to join. But Doctor Noril would fold her arms and scowl when she found out.

"A magician must not stray off from their path. It will affect your learning process."

But Oto did not mind. All the children his age loved DT because he made his class fun and engaging. He was a charismatic man and was attentive to all his student's needs. Gave helpful tips and was never harsh when they failed. He was someone Oto could look up to.

Once again, these were the good days. Working hard on his magic. Helping with laundry and cleaning the bookcases around the mansion. Feeling more comfortable with his routine. Occasionally, watching the mentor and Amae perform their magical duties throughout the town. Blessing crops. Healing injuries. Reinforcing the iron wall. Slowly learning the rules and public expectations. Practicing daily. Training by himself during the lone of night. Becoming stronger and wiser throughout the months while learning the advantages of his eidetic memory.

Every night, Amae always kept Oto close in her bed, hugging him tight while she slept. Occasionally, she would shiver and cry in her sleep. Oto would wipe away her tears and embrace her back. The tragic past with Mother lingered, never truly gone from their memories.

It was a peaceful time, almost as precious as the old days when it was just the three of them.

Life was going about its way, like it was meant to be.

Maybe someday... Oto thought to himself as he rested in their private garden... I can be a great magician like my older sister.

Then Mother would be proud of him.

But the ominous past caught up to them before that someday.

Deep down, Oto knew this moment would come again. Amae had been warning him about it, having prepared endlessly for the inevitable future that was their cruel reality.

The golden bell in the town's stone clocktower struck its alarm repeatedly, with loud chatters and chaotic movement across the streets. Tension filled the night sky as most of the civilians escaped into the safe house, while some stayed to help the scared children and calm the livestock. Torches lit up by the stone wall outposts as all the warriors and archers prepared their weapons for combat.

Longden was now under attack.

By the same Demons that had taken away his innocent youth and ruined his peaceful life with Mother and Amae.

But this time... Oto vowed as his crimson-red eyes hardened. This time, it will be different.

Amae (03/11/23): here's my attempt at a DARK FANTASY (∩╹□╹∩). Practicing a different writing style. Let me know how you like it!

| Inspired by Darran Shan's Demonata Series + Last Of Us + Attack on Titan + Goblin Slayer |

| JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

Should I continue? ♡(◡‿◡✿)
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
5