chapter 5: names [1]
143 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Children of the Demon King's Castle

· Names [1] ·

×××

The night after dinner passed peacefully.

Well, not really actually.

Since the distance between Eirene and the children had somewhat shrink a little, Eirene thought to talk more with the children that day before they slept.

Unfortunately, she realized that they seemed tired after teleporting them back into their temporary bedroom. It seemed like exploring the castle with their small and fragile bodies reduced a lot of their energy.

Since she wasn't in a rush anyway, Eirene didn't push them and let the children slept well.

However, while doing so, Eirene once again remembered how the blanket was too thin and their fancy clothes was the only set of clothes they have, moreover, it should be very uncomfortable to sleep and move with, yet they didn't complain even a bit.

'... Should I brought them to the boutiques in the capitals tomorrow?'

Eirene felt complicated. In this castle, there indeed should be some children clothes left, however they were hand-downs from the previous Demon Kings and their children. It probably aged a hundred year or even more.

Searching the right size one-by-one would be a hassle, not to mention, Eirene wasn't sure that she would be able to clean hundred years old clothes with magic and make it look as good as new. It would be much easier to just bought new outfits from the shops.

'... Still, will they be fine?'

She can't help but worried about them.

In this western continent, the Demon King's territory was located in the middle of the seven kingdoms. It was a huge eerie forest full of wild demonic beasts and monsters roaming around. The only residence available within this territory was the big castle in the middle of the woods, where the Demon King and the army lived. Thus, there wouldn't be any boutique nor shops in the Demon King's territory. Eirene would need to bring them to the boutiques in the kingdoms.

The problem wasn't whether or not they would be fine going to the kingdom that sold them before, but whether or not they would be alright facing a lot of people, including adults.

Eirene remembered the neighborhood kid back on her elementary school days.

There was this boy who was scared of adults due to him being abused by his adoptive parents. As a result, he would trembled in fear everytime he met an adult.

The trauma of a child can't be taken lightly, that was why she wasn't sure what to do.

Eirene pondered for a while, but then let out a sigh and teleported back into her room.

'... I will just ask them tomorrow.'

Yes, that would be the best option.

After all, why should she thought about it so hardly by herself? If they were still uncomfortable with her, she would be forced to make a decision on her own, however, right now, these children were starting to open up.

That was why asking their opinions would be a much better option.

'Let's just sleep now.'

Since the children had already fall asleep, there was nothing for her to do anymore. Even though she was the Demon King, there weren't any status-related works to do other than observing her territory, the central forest, which have nothing but wild beasts.

Eirene yawned, changed her clothes into a nightgown before dropping herself into her large bed. After draping her body with the thick blanket, it merely took a few minutes for her to fall into a deep slumber.

×××

Assorted cookies were the only meal could be served for today's breakfast.

It made Eirene remembered once again that they didn't have any decent meal to contribute for the children's growth.

Eirene sighed inwardly as she picked up one of the cookies on her plate and bit half of it. While doing so, she observed the children in front of her that she teleported eight in the morning to the dining room for this occasion.

They were sitting on the same seat as yesterday and looking at their gleeful expression while eating, Eirene can't help but wondered if it was possible to ask deliveries of the real delicious food-like cakes, steaks-to the Demon King's castle ... which was obviously not.

Although thankfully, this morning, she found one litre cartoned milk that haven't expired yet in the kitchen's cupboard. So at least, for today, the children could also have a glass milk while eating their cookies.

Eirene wished that there were also breads instead of cookies, but she prefer cookies due to their long expiration date, thus when the breads ran out, she didn't bother restocking it. She didn't think she would be troubled with having no breads right now.

'Other than clothes, I should also buy a lot of food today. Maybe furnitures too.'

As Eirene noted what should she prioritize for today's market trip, she gulped down the rest of the cookie in her hand and took a new cookie, biting it. Then, she focused her gaze again onto the children afterwards, finding them either eating or drinking the milk.

Looking at them so eagerly eating, even more comfortable than yesterday, Eirene couldn't help but smiled a little as she calmly continued eating her cookie.

'... I will ask them if they would be comfortable to tag along when they're done.'

As Eirene thought so, she began to plan inside her head for the what-ifs that may happen if the children tag along. For example, what if one got lost and what should she do afterwards. Honestly, it was unlikely considering her power, but there was nothing wrong with being cautious. Eirene knew well that life never going easily the way you planned.

'Ah, wait, before that ....'

Eirene blinked as she remembered something very important that she wanted to talk aboit yesterday. Thus, after making sure that the children's plates almost clean already, Eirene opened her mouth.

"Hey."

Her voice immediately gather the children's attention. They looked at her with curiosity and confusion. Once again, Eirene can't help but felt a little glad that those sparkling big eyes didn't seem afraid anymore.

"Tell me your names."

However, as she said those words, the children suddenly looked at each other with complicated expressions.

Eirene raised one of her eyebrows. Since they had been together since the carriage towards the Demon King's castle, they probably already knew each other names, but why did they suddenly look so perplexed?

"... Don't you all have names that people call you with?"

Hearing her words, the children's faces slowly became gloomy and anxious. Eirene quickly realized that something was strange.

Even though from their figures they probably have already passed five years old, looking at their reactions, Eirene can't help but thought.

Was it possible that they didn't have names?

{ chapter end }

this chapter is quite short, so I think I will update the next chapter soon. fyi, each chapter ranges between 1k - 3k. have fun reading and thank you for the comments and favorites <3


11