3. She Never Gets the Hint
2.7k 0 121
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    Simon stretched out on his towel, intent on getting some direct sun. Usually he would keep a decent tan just from his daily runs, but it was only May, and he had wanted a head start for the year. But as he lay there, trying to enjoy the music fresh air, his mind wandered back to his absent friend.

    Maybe I should talk to Danny when I get back, he considered. Yeah, I’ll just see if something is up. I’m sure he’d appreciate that. As he planned the gesture, a beach ball landed next to him.

    “Simon! Hold on, I’ll come get it!” A girl called from the pool just a few yards away. 

 

    Rachel. Simon was very familiar with her. She had tried relentlessly over the past few months to flirt with him whenever she could, both in person and over text. He thought she was nice enough. No, a mean spirit wasn’t her problem. Simon just didn’t feel anything for her.

    Nonetheless, she approached. She was actually pretty tall, which had led Simon to wonder if that was her main interest in him. Taller girls seemed to like him, likely so they wouldn’t have to feel like they towered over their boyfriend in heels. And Ryan loved to talk about how attractive he thought she was. Simon agreed with him, of course, beautiful legs and golden blonde hair. There was just no chemistry, according to him.

    “Hey! Sorry about that!”  She knelt next to him to grab the ball. “Can’t believe I hit it all the way over here!” She giggled. Simon looked toward her, sunglasses on. “Wow, your hair is getting pretty shaggy. And I love the color! I have a weak spot for guys with dirty blond hair.” She said as she played with her own gold curls.

    Thankful for his sunglasses, he rolled his eyes. She’s still trying, huh? He gave her a smile, anyway. “Thanks! But Ryan has the same hair color as me, ya know.” He gestured to his friend, who was currently in the middle of a cannonball.

 

    Rachel shielded her eyes from the splash, and shook her head. “Yeah, but he keeps it too short. And I’m basically as tall as him! But god, you’re what, 6′6″?”

    “6′5″”

    “Still! I’m 5′11″ and you’re the only guy I know who doesn’t make me feel like a giant.”

 

    She’s getting more forward every time we meet. I might have to- Simon’s thoughts were interrupted.

    “Rachel! Can you quit flirting and bring the ball back?” Her friends shouted to her from the pool.

    She turned to them and lobbed the ball in the air, quickly going back to Simon. “Oh hey, where’s your friend? Danny, right? Does he not like swimming?”

    “No, he loves it, actually. He just...had something come up.” Simon propped himself up on his elbows, afraid to seem rude. Although I might have to ease up on my politeness if she never gets the hint.

    “Ah, that’s too bad.” Rachel didn’t truthfully seem that upset. “You know, most of us are going to Amy’s party after this. You’re coming, right?”

    Fuck. Ryan was my ride, and he definitely won’t miss a party. Especially since he’s already drunk. As if on queue, Ryan hopped out of the pool and started flexing, bringing on laughter and applause from the whole yard. He didn’t seem to regret all of his late nights at the gym, and was fully committed to his douchebag aesthetic, as Danny liked to call it when he and Simon were alone.

    “Well, for a little bit. I’ll have to drive Ryan home, though, so no drinking for me.”

    That was enough for Rachel, “Yay! I’m sure we’ll have a ton of fun!” She clapped her hands and skipped back to the pool.

 

    Finally alone again, Simon just tried to soak up more sun, and hoped he could handle a few more hours of Rachel.

121