63. In the Middle
681 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scrambled eggs floated by Simon’s head on a tray, headed for a nearby table along with what looked like sausage and orange juice. The diner was busier than usual, perhaps because he and Dani were there in the actual morning instead of his usual noon. It also meant the air was cold and left the two shivering in their booth while they waited for their food to arrive.

Across the table, Dani was rubbing her arms in an attempt to warm up while eyeing her phone that was face down on the table.

She’s trying so hard to not freak out. I’m a little impressed at how she’s handling all of this. Not sure the Dani I knew a year ago could have managed it.

When Simon woke up that morning, he saw Dani in the kitchen, drinking her second cup of coffee and jittering like a cornered mouse. He didn’t want to rehash the same words he and Rachel had said the night before, and instead offered to take her out to breakfast.

“This is the first time I’ve been here since I came out to you,” Dani said. She leaned away from her phone and settled into the cushy booth.

“Oh,” Simon said. “That was here, wasn’t it?” He scanned the restaurant and spotted the table where she had told him her secret a few places away, which was empty for the time being.

“It’s been a weird, hectic year, huh?” Dani was staring off into space with a faint smile. “Hopefully things start to calm down after…” The rest of her words dissipated into a sharp sigh.

“We’ll find him.” Simon spoke steadily and with confidence, and surprised even himself. “Or, he’ll find his way back. Either way, things will be okay, I’m sure. Ryan’s always been one to keep his problems close to his chest, and I’m sure when he’s back he’ll explain everything.”

Dani’s smile strengthened for a moment and she straightened her posture. “You’re probably right. You were always closer with him than I was. I’ll try not to let my worrying ruin our breakfast.”

She sipped on her water, which Simon had begged her to order instead of more coffee. He thought about how different she was looking each day, and how the person he moved in with was getting harder to recognize each day.

No, it’s still her. It was always her. She hasn’t been replaced, she’s evolving.

The care she put into her skin and hair was obvious, even when he saw her in the morning before she had washed up. Her voice was sweet and easy to listen to. She exuded joy at almost all times, and was just a happier person in general.

He was lost in his thoughts when their breakfast arrived.

“Who got the omelet?” The waiter asked. He was holding a big tray on his shoulder and holding a plate in his other arm.

Dani raised her hand and let out a peep of acknowledgement. Her omelet was gently placed in front of her, then Simon was greeted with his plate of french toast and sausages. He loved how big the portions were at that diner. He had spent many lunch breaks there, eating his fill of breakfast foods.

With their plates delivered, the waiter left the two to eat in peace. Simon got to quick work putting an appropriate amount of syrup over his food. Enough to help his taste buds overpower and drown out his worries, but not so much that he would be embarrassed for his students to see him eating after his lecture on a healthy diet.

“Maybe this is all for the best,” Dani said as she used the side of her fork to cut bites from her omelet. “Ryan and I probably wouldn’t have worked out long term, right?”

“What do you mean?” Simon asked as he watched her gulp down egg, cheese, and spinach and wash it down with a sip of water.

Dani shrugged. “Like… We have different lives. His dad would never approve of me, would he?”

Simon frowned and shook his head.

“And we don’t have that much in common.” Her fork danced through the air as she emphasized with her hands. “He’s much bigger into partying, and I’m… I’m just not that type of person. He would get bored eventually, anyway.”

His foot couldn’t help from tapping as Simon stared down at his syrupy meal. Dani was talking herself out of liking Ryan right in front of him. He was ashamed to admit it, but he had wanted her to stop liking him basically the moment he found out about their kiss.

I could agree with her. She might end things with him even if he does come back with some perfect explanation. And then she might…

No. I can’t do that.

As the weeks had passed, Simon’s feelings had shifted. He still loved Dani, though as a friend, or a sibling, or something else, he was unsure. But what he did know was that he wanted her to be happy more than he wanted happiness for himself.

She doesn’t feel that way about me, this won’t change anything.

“Do you really believe that?” Simon asked. “I know I’ve expressed some reservations with how Ryan acts and dates, but do you think he’s that terrible?”

Dani was in the middle of a bite when she looked at him in surprise. All she could do was mutter her confusion with a mouth full of food.

“Ryan’s our friend.” Simon set his fork down, giving up any chance of eating until his point was finished. “And he cares about us. I know for a fact he cares about you, especially. Even if things didn’t work out between you, he wouldn’t just get bored and give up on you.”

“Well, but–” Dani tried to stammer out a rebuttal.

“And I also know that you care more about him than you’re letting on.” Simon braced himself for what he knew had to be said. “You’re always happy and smiling around him, and when you talk about him. You’ve grown so much in such a small amount of time, and I think part of that is due to how well you and Ryan work together. Don’t pretend you’ve given up on him because of whatever’s happening right now, okay? If you wanna break up with him after we’ve sorted this all out, go ahead, but don’t lie to yourself.”

Across the table, Dani sniffled. She was leaning back again and spoke quietly. “I do like him a lot, you’re right. Sorry. But, what if he really did disappear because of me? What if he doesn’t like me all that much?”

God does it suck being in the middle of all this. Ryan, you’re buying my next dozen movie tickets when this is all done.

“Sorry, I know.” Dani wiped her nose with her napkin and poked at her food. “We’ve talked about all of this already. Thank you for what you said, you’re right.”

The two ate in silence, absorbing the smell of cheap diner coffee and morning chatter amongst some of the older patrons. While Dani took small bites of her omelet, being careful to get an equal balance of cheese and spinach in each bite, Simon was already halfway done with his toast when they heard a dish break from the kitchen. The whole restaurant cheered in jest, and Simon saw Dani smile again.

“Hey,” Simon said to her once things had quieted down. “Want to hear something crazy that happened to me the other day?”

Dani raised an eyebrow. “Well, duh. What, like, at work?”

“Kinda. It was with two parents of a kid I work with sometimes.”

Simon had originally wanted to keep the event a secret, especially from his roommates, but seeing Dani being openly miserable made him realize it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he cheered her up with his embarrassing anecdote.

“They invited me out for drinks to talk, and I thought it would be to discuss their kid, right?”

“Sure, maybe.” Dani twisted her mouth inquisitively. “But drinks are a little odd, why not just an email or a place like this?”

“I guess that should have been my first clue…” Simon laughed as he sighed and took a big bite of a sausage link. When he was done chewing, he continued. “But when I get there, the place is super fancy, and they were all dressed up, and–”

“Wait!” Dani blurted out. “Oh my God, wait, let me guess.” She dropped her utensils and tucked her hair behind her ears. “The guy wanted you to like, bang his wife or something? Is that it?”

Simon smirked. “You’re close. And you’re making me realize most people wouldn’t have ended up in my situation.” He knew he was probably blushing and tried to eat faster to compensate.

“So then what was it?” Dani was leaning forward in complete anticipation.

“They invited me to, uh, join them.” He couldn’t look her in the eyes as he said the words.

Immediately, Dani burst out laughing. “Wow! A threesome?” She was thankfully keeping her volume under control when she spoke, and none of the other tables or employees looked over at them. “You got invited to a threesome with–”

Her mouth snapped shut and her face burned red. “Wait… Did you–”

“No! I didn’t!” Simon stared up at the ceiling and shook his head.

“Were they hot?”

Simon chuckled. “They were concerningly hot for a middle aged couple living around here.”

“Huh.” Dani was expressionless for a moment, before grabbing her fork again. “You can’t ever tell Ryan about that. He’d bring it up for the rest of your life.”

“I’m well aware.” Simon stabbed his last sausage link. “Sort of hoping you can help me out with that.”

“Deal.” Dani giggled, her cute grin weakening Simon once more.

She had the last bite of her breakfast en route to her mouth when she stopped and checked her phone as it vibrated against the table. After only a second of looking at it, she set her phone to her side with a look of shock.

“What’s wrong?” Simon asked.

Dani blinked. “It’s Rachel. She said she saw Ryan’s car. At a motel at the edge of town while she was dropping off a delivery…”

“Is she sure it’s his?”

“Yeah, she sent a pic. It has his stupid gym bumper sticker.”

Simon reached into his coat pocket for his wallet. “Alright, then. Let’s get the check.”

31