Chapter 13: Oaths, Mark’s Curiosity
184 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So yeah, I'm sorry for the big delay, but I had a lot of tests and projects that were due last week and will also be happening this week too. Not only that, I got sick!!! Oof??! Anyways, I might be able to get another chap done this week or not. Hopefully?.

Joseph POV
I was pacing back and forth in my lab, putting the effort in memorizing my speech meant for the meeting later in the afternoon. Some may think it's stupid to do so much for a bunch of little kids and they would care for naught, but it was in my better judgment to understand that a blunder may affect my future image and reputation. I was totally not nervous. Nope, nada. It's totally not like it's my first speech in front of an audience of more than one-hundred people with a short attention span... okay, to tell the truth, it's my first time doing it... Why am I so dirty minded?

"... Today, I will give you... no, no! that'll make me sound like I'm bossy or something."

"... Would you people like to join my army... no, no, that sounds too casual. I'll still need to act like a general of some sort."

I checked the wooden clock on the wall to my right. The clock invention surprised and amazed my mother and her people. To them, it was a tool great for military use in terms of keeping a schedule. It was a pretty basic invention, easy to create, but in turn, the power source was a problem until I was able to use magic stones, albeit it used the energy inefficiently. The significant difference in the setups was that there are thirteen numbers to accommodate for twenty-six hours rather than twelve.

"Shit! 12:30!"

At that moment, I realized that I fucked up. It's like the time when my friends in high school would finish all of their homework, presentations, and projects the day before it's deadline but realizes that there wasn't enough time. I should've practiced the other day. Oh well, the best word that most last-day-students like is "Improvise"; I'll have to do just that.

Just as I was about to get my flintlock proto-type, I heard a knocking.

"I'm coming!" I face smacked myself in my mind. Why did I say something like that?

I quickly grabbed two bags that contained gun powder and metal balls, along with the flintlock, then I ran to the door and opened it.

In my sight was one of my mother's guards, Sasha. She was kneeling, and she had black hair and greenish eyes, as she wore a serious face. She dressed up with an inscribed Maranite armour, fit for rank nines. However, she is only rank 8; she is an exception. The armour is expensive yet strong.

"My lord, the crowd is gathering for your speech. The preparations have taken cared of. The guards have already committed an oath to not speak of your technology, as did the children that are entering the building within our camp. The silencing stones have been placed, too."

"Thank you, Sasha. Have you healed and fed the children before the travel to our camp?"

"Of course we have, my lord."

"Good. It should have at least brought some good first impressions or even bring some favourable thoughts of us. Let's go."

I put my arms behind my back as I clasped both my hands together. I felt like a boss.

But, in reality, my hands were sweating from the anxiety and the nerve-wracking situation. And I probably look stupid with how I'm walking. The scene was a small child acting like a boss. Many would think I'm spoiled or awkward. Or maybe people would call me that word from the Japanese language. What was it again? It started with the letter "C"...

As for how these personal soldiers know of my genius intelligence? It is because of an oath that was placed on them. And we had to use expensive magical materials to concoct some "Oath Verifiers" which if the gel was to be spread on the forehead of the oath taker, a small, black marking would appear. It was to have at least the basic assurance that my mother's soldiers won't rat me out to enemies.

Another good thing about my father's support is that we had enough money from my father's support to verify eight hundred of the thousand children and will be able to single out as many possible spies. Mind you that cost us three hundred thousand gold coins! But even if there is this solution to spies, there is in no way to utilize it as a formal method for soldiers to enter the army because of three main cons: the cost (self-explanatory), concealing artifacts, and potential distrust. Concealing artifacts could put pretense of markings and are hard to differentiate between the real and fake.

Most concealing artifacts that I've read are physical and outside of the body, but I believe that there are ones that could be put inside the body or there could be artifacts created by a high alchemist or enchanter that isn't even on this material world. And to see whether a person has an artifact or not wouldn't be ideal because undressing over ten-thousand soldiers in one legion would be impractical. Not only that, but people, and the strong ones at that, may feel offended or harbour distrust... that wouldn't be good.

One more significant thing about taking oaths are the intentions behind them. They must be genuine and sincere, or they will fail.

Mark
Mark and his siblings were riding a carriage. Other than them, there were nine children similar to their age fidgeting, looking around, or appearing to be anxious; there were five girls and four boys. Mark carefully looked at each other without them noticing, or so he thinks. He eyed them warily and made sure that his siblings were safe.

Behind their carriage were four others, klicking klacking on the road. Three, including the one that carried Mark, carried children, while the last one held soldiers and guards. Other than that, soldiers on war-bulls escorted them. One thing that was similar to these soldiers were that they were all females.

He noticed that two of the boys took numerous glances towards his sleeping sister, while three of the girls eyed him and Theo like a hawk. Handsomeness and beauty are like double-edged swords. If one didn't have the strength, they would either be enslaved or killed out of jealousy. Of course, Mark knew that death would be better than enslavement as there are horrible things that can be worse than meeting the reaper.

Mark was tired, but he couldn't take a rest or lower his guard. There were possible enemies nearby, and they weren't entirely sure what their future held as recruits of General Felisa. Were they going to be cannon fodder for some expedition? Or will they be used as slaves? At least they had provided them with baths, food, and healing their sickness and ailments. Though while they did have friendly hospitality, he wasn't buying it. Maybe he was paranoid, but the streets and poverty made him like that.

"Halt!"

The convoy abruptly stopped. Then Mark heard people walk near.

"Bring them out for inspection!"

The carriage's door swung open as children began to exit. Mark and his group stayed until they were last as he didn't want others molesting them - at least not his siblings.

In an orderly fashion, they exited the carriage into the bright, open world. Mark noticed his surrounding was a bung of trees and an entrance with tall walls that lead to various, large numbers of buildings, with a castle in the middle; It was a fortress. The medieval-style palace was grand yet simple. He felt like that it was a giant monster with all the guards walking around it acting as its moving veins.

Hurriedly, led by the guards, they passed the gates in single files and marched to a large, domed building, constructed to what seemed to be metal. Two quiet guards stood tall in front of large gates. Entering inside, they found themselves in a clean hallway with the temperature was lower and cooler compared to the sun's heat outside.

Mark and his siblings noticed light coming from crystals encased with glass. Curiosity hit him as he had never seen such a light source other than fire. Next, he saw six more guards on the sides, carefully watching Mark and his group. Mark felt unsettled yet at the same time safe and comfortable. He wasn't sure how to fully explain it.

He felt the unease of the guards stares, yet these walls and their small group provided a safety he hadn't felt since he and his siblings had been left to rot in the slums.

Finally, they entered the open area within the building. Natural sunlight came through from the glass ceilings from above, while at the same time, additional light sources from magical crystal surrounded the room. More guards were around, and Mark was able to count up twenty-six in total. In front of his group, however, was a large platform, and on top of it were three people.

Mark never saw such a beautiful and mature woman like the one on the stage who was donning some simple armour with a brown cape on her back. Her face was stoically painted, but Mark noticed that whenever she eyed the small figure next to her, gentle, loving feelings spread out. On the other hand, the small figure looked to be about five years old or so, but his facial feature resembled that of the beautiful woman; Mark realized that they were probably a mother-son pair. Next to the boy was a female soldier-servant that appeared strong and ready to protect the child from any danger.

But what interested Mark was the thing the boy was holding. It was a long cylinder object that had weird contraption at its wooden, bigger end. The main body looked like it was made out of metal because of the shine it gives from the sun's rays. What were they...?

Finished? Anyways, give a rating, drop a like, leave a comment, and I'll see you guys later. (sellout moment ?)

2